Seeing more rooms opening up

chiguypaul

I’m on the NYE Odyssey sailing. Every few days I’ve been checking room inventory for multiple categories. In the past day there have been several more cabins open in all categories. I’m guessing that we’re starting to see the cancellations due to on the omicron concerns. 

• Like 1

It could be more inventory because they have been holding some of the ships to 50% or it could be the new mask regulations.

Due to the latest public health evaluation, masks are required for all guests, regardless of vaccination status, at all times indoors except while eating or drinking. This includes at venues reserved for vaccinated guests only. Note that this policy is in place for all sailings departing before January 5, 2022, at which point it will be reevaluated.

Edited by Traveling Mike

1 hour ago, chiguypaul said:

I’m on the NYE Odyssey sailing. Every few days I’ve been checking room inventory for multiple categories. In the past day there have been several more cabins open in all categories. I’m guessing that we’re starting to see the cancellations due to on the omicron concerns. 

IMO, more cabins opening due to masking requirements.  Going to be even cheaper after the New Year, and I thought we already stole our balcony cabins.  Hard core cruisers - yep, they'll go.  General public - way too many other options for a true vacation.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, chiguypaul said:

We are on Odyssey right now and will be back to back next week as well. It is MAXED out with passengers. Totally! Guest services not allowing any onboard upgrades. 

52 minutes ago, clover18 said:

We are on Odyssey right now and will be back to back next week as well. It is MAXED out with passengers. Totally! Guest services not allowing any onboard upgrades. 

What does that mean - maxed out? Qualify that. There is no way you are at 100% of regular capacity. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, chiguypaul said:

What does that mean - maxed out? Qualify that. There is no way you are at 100% of regular capacity. 

I saw a post yesterday from a Royal Blogger who is on Odyssey this week.  He said the ship was at 96% capacity and would sail at 105% Christmas week and slightly more for the New Years eve cruise.  He said the ship is overrun with kids. His biggest complaints were that the elevators were packed every night and MDR was wall to wall people.

Edited by taglovestocruise
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

I saw a post yesterday from a Royal Blogger who is on Odyssey this week.  He said the ship was at 96% capacity and would sail at 105% Christmas week and slightly more for the New Years eve cruise.  He said the ship is overrun with kids. His biggest complaints were that the elevators were packed every night and MDR was wall to wall people.

I don’t believe that percentage based on the amount of rooms open. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chiguypaul said:

We cancelled our NYE Oasis cruise, and it had nothing to do with Omicron. It was 100% because of the ridiculous mask mandate Royal just put into place on Friday. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, chiguypaul said:

Yes, a lot of ships have been sold at 90 to 100% capacity for holiday sailings.

My Jan 9th sailing was sold at 93% capacity prior to omicron and new mask mandate.  Lots of cabins in all categories have been opening up.

4 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes, a lot of ships have been sold at 90 to 100% capacity for holiday sailings.

My Jan 9th sailing was sold at 93% capacity prior to omicron and new mask mandate.  Lots of cabins in all categories have been opening up.

How did you find out that it was 93%?

3 hours ago, CruisingSince1982 said:

We cancelled our NYE Oasis cruise, and it had nothing to do with Omicron. It was 100% because of the ridiculous mask mandate Royal just put into place on Friday. 

Yes, I guess those two things have absolutely nothing to due with each other. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Symphony of the Seas just came back to Miami with 44-48 cases including at least one confirmed Omicron case. They sailed with almost 6100 passengers. That rate of infection is 7x the rate which triggers a CDC investigation. We just cancelled our Christmas sailing on Mariner next week. Allowing children 11 and under to sail unvaccinated, filling the ship to near 100% capacity and the most contagious variant yet. We just don't feel comfortable sailing under those conditions.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2021/12/19/cruise-ship-covid-cases-royal-caribbean/8960209002/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chiguypaul said:

How did you find out that it was 93%?

Someone I know was on anthem and asked the loyalty desk and was told anthem was just about sold out, near 100% capacity for 2 weeks of holiday cruises and our sailing had 3900 booked with max capacity of 4180 that puts it at 93%

4 hours ago, CruisingSince1982 said:

We are close to canceling our Jan 10th Navigator cruise.  Going back to masks in the show rooms for vaccinated is the straw that might break the camels back.  Only reason for not canceling is the quad points for a JR suite that we nabbed for under $800 total.  We need 16 points to reach D+, if we cancel the cruise we will need the next three booked cruises to reach D+.  Two additional drinks for 24 nights almost makes navigator a free cruise. I will correct that and add in two specialty dinners from the TA and a $65 Costco shop card and the cruise is free.  Wife suspects I will be a mass violator of covid protocols.. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

We are close to canceling our Jan 10th Navigator cruise.  Going back to masks in the show rooms for vaccinated is the straw that might break the camels back.  Only reason for not canceling is the quad points for a JR suite that we nabbed for under $800 total.  We need 16 points to reach D+, if we cancel the cruise we will need the next three booked cruises to reach D+.  Two additional drinks for 24 nights almost makes navigator a free cruise. I will correct that and add in two specialty dinners from the TA and a $65 Costco shop card and the cruise is free.  Wife suspects I will be a mass violator of covid protocols.. 

Well there is a chance with the new mask protocols expiring on 1/5 as currently announced that it will be back to what it was,  but I wouldn't bet on it

Edited by chaswelf

28 minutes ago, chaswelf said:

Well there is a chance with the new mask protocols expiring on 1/5 as currently announced that it will be back to what it was,  but I wouldn't bet on it

The new protocol lines up exactly with the holiday travel season dates. It could very well go back to the previous version once the kids and adults are back to school and work. They expect near 100% capacity so I am guessing this is the major reason. They need to go 100% vaxxed. I tested negative per RCL's request (from the CDC) on Sunday night as I was on the Dec 4 sailing. I bet more people than one were positive on that cruise- a lot of coughers.   

• Like 1

Yes, last I heard the 2 Anthem sailings for XMAS and NYE will be sailing at 3900 passengers, per captain at a Member's event.

But those numbers might go down with cancelations from the new masking policy and surge of new varient.

Odd thing is I just received a 2nd email for "ROYAL UP" today. So this might be a sign ppl are canceling or they will have lower than expected occupancy. This is for the Anthem NYE sailing.

Edited by alexgtp

1 hour ago, RoyalC said:

I bet more people than one were positive on that cruise- a lot of coughers.   

People might have coughs for other reasons. I cough sometimes and had it before covid, nothing to do with covid. I know people are very paranoid and try not to cough, but sometimes I do. People assume you are sick. Sign of the times, paranoia. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, creativegenius said:

Symphony of the Seas just came back to Miami with 44-48 cases including at least one confirmed Omicron case. They sailed with almost 6100 passengers. That rate of infection is 7x the rate which triggers a CDC investigation. We just cancelled our Christmas sailing on Mariner next week. Allowing children 11 and under to sail unvaccinated, filling the ship to near 100% capacity and the most contagious variant yet. We just don't feel comfortable sailing under those conditions.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2021/12/19/cruise-ship-covid-cases-royal-caribbean/8960209002/

Hi there, I was on that sailing. We did not have 6,100 passengers.  The various totals circulating includes passengers and crew. Passenger count was not full. Just wanted to clarify.  Also, the rate and CDC info is not fully accurate.  And the Omicron case was a prior sailing.  Just wanted to clarify. Have a great holiday. 

Edited by blueslily

20 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Same here on Full Masking. Have multiple upcoming Cruises, all are Corner/Afts on Vision and Jewel, location and Cheap pricing otherwise would Cancel

• Like 1