Ordering Covid tests

The tests aren't ordered "from" the cruise lines, they simply provide a link to the sites that are authorized to sell them.

Our next cruise is in April so we'll wait and see if the CSO expires Jan 15th and what is required then.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

I just checked the 2 test kits we had as backups in case of problems with the other 2.  Mfg in 03/21, Exp in 11/21.  Purchased in 10/21.  Why sell kits that expire in a month?  So I checked the Lot# against the list published by Abbott and these were not on it.  Emailed Abbott about that but don't expect a response.

We have a family cruise in 03/22.  Instead of arguing over politics Christmas Day we'll have to hash out the logistics of getting everyone tested and down to Florida.  Probably have to order a dozen kits.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Just got new tests....a 6pk from EMed. Manufactured 12/8/21 and expire 11/20/22

EMed tests.jpg

I was about to post exactly the same thing.  We even have the same lot number.

I rolled the dice a little bit in the hopes we would be good for both our January and February cruises.  Winner!

I bought a kit from Optum.  Ended up with an expired kit, which they told me was still good.  Took the test only to find out at the end that I had a defective test, so 2 days out and no test.  Ralph, if the medical video told me it was defective because it did not have the adhesive strip to hold it together.  He also told me I should have bought extra kits in case something like this would happen.  He told me someone would get back to me it 24 hours for a replacement test.  Never heard anything.  Got tested at the port.  More expensive but at least I didn't have to worry about defective test kits.

3 hours ago, bschmitt said:

I bought a kit from Optum.  Ended up with an expired kit, which they told me was still good.  Took the test only to find out at the end that I had a defective test, so 2 days out and no test.  Ralph, if the medical video told me it was defective because it did not have the adhesive strip to hold it together.  He also told me I should have bought extra kits in case something like this would happen.  He told me someone would get back to me it 24 hours for a replacement test.  Never heard anything.  Got tested at the port.  More expensive but at least I didn't have to worry about defective test kits.

Did you bring your defective test kit or a report with you in order to have RCI test you?  

1 hour ago, SherriZ366 said:

Did you bring your defective test kit or a report with you in order to have RCI test you?  

I received one without a security seal and they sent me a new 2-pack to replace it 

14 minutes ago, Nado44 said:

We were notified by Optum today that they are experiencing shipping delays. Hoping to receive ours sooner than later!

(Psst. Here's a coupon code. THANKS15 will get you 15% off your Optum 

Edited by RosieRoo

13 hours ago, Nado44 said:

We were notified by Optum today that they are experiencing shipping delays. Hoping to receive ours sooner than later!

(Psst. Here's a coupon code. THANKS15 will get you 15% off your Optum order.)

I just tried the coupon and it is not valid for covid test kit

On 12/20/2021 at 2:35 PM, GTO-Girl said:

Each person has to have an account set up in the NAVICA app.

Just to clarify this for some. You do not need the actual NAVICA app at all, if you plan on testing on your laptop or webcam equipped desktop (probably the same for tablet if you go through chrome, but cannot confirm, not sure if you can test through e-med via web browser on phone either, might all be the same). You can set up a NAVICA account through the web page, test via the E-med website, and print results from the e-mail (I can also bring up the e-mail/pdf on my phone). Wife and I both tested on my laptop.  Although I had the NAVICA app and results on my phone, it was just easier to show a printed copy than flipping through multiple apps/screens on my phone.  I think the printed copy is easier for the check-in staff to view quickly, and I always bring printed copies of set sail pass also. Set sail pass via RCI app on phone for wife and I (simple swipe) and printed copies of test results. Vaccine card in clear holder portion of Passport holder. Never had to remove it.

Adding another data point that supports what appears to be a trend. I ordered a 3-pack two days ago from Optum and had navigated to their site via the RC referral link. I got a FedEx ship notice yesterday but then the aforementioned email that it didn't actually ship yesterday. Then a new FedEx ship notice around 11 PM last night. Incredibly, it was shipped from California last night and at my door at 10 AM this morning on the east coast.

As others have recently reported, all three had December 2021 lot assembly dates, and expiration in November 2022. That pleased me. Another thing interesting is that going through RC referral link must trigger shipping instructions to include an RC specific info card in the box. Not very useful, but interesting.

All that said, I still wouldn't order kits more than 4-6 weeks in advance. Your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

I have a question regarding these tests.  I received my test kits from Optum.  One kit has a sticker to seal the kit, and the other 2 kits do not have the seal.  The box clearly states not to open until directed to do so.  I emailed 2 days ago and have not had a response.  I am sure everything inside is sealed, but I don’t want to end up with any issues 2 days before my cruise.  
Do they verify the box is unopened when you do the telemed visit, or just verify your packages inside are sealed.  

5 hours ago, The Yorkshire Cruiser said:

Has anyone purchased a home test kit from anyone other than Optum? I can't purchase one as payment requires a Zip Code and I don't have one of them.

Frustrating as Royal Caribbean says they're suitable for international guests to have sent to their pre-cruise hotels.

I've bought them straight from eMed, but I do not recall if a US zip code was required. 

2 hours ago, DEBCAT65 said:

I have a question regarding these tests.  I received my test kits from Optum.  One kit has a sticker to seal the kit, and the other 2 kits do not have the seal.  The box clearly states not to open until directed to do so.  I emailed 2 days ago and have not had a response.  I am sure everything inside is sealed, but I don’t want to end up with any issues 2 days before my cruise.  
Do they verify the box is unopened when you do the telemed visit, or just verify your packages inside are sealed.  

Depends on what you mean by sealed. Whether it is in shrink-wrap of not isn't significant. And if you are talking about the eMed cardboard wrap around (on the older kits), it slides on and off easily and isn't what they are interested in. The seal that is important is the circular adhesive one. If that seal is missing or already cut open, then you may have an issue.

Also make sure your kit looks like one of these and says Rx required. If you have the over-the-counter version that is unmonitored, that won't work. [Before anyone replies that you didn't get a prescription .. yes, I know. I think that eMed/Optum provides that based on your answering the question about why you are buying.]

Shown here are both the old and new style kits.

binax.jpg

Each person has to have an account set up in the NAVICA app.  You cannot do more than one test with a proctor, so it you will be making 4 different calls. 

Do not open the kits until instructed to do so.  Once you are ready to test log on to www.Emed.com and a live proctor will come on and walk you through the test.

Once completed you will have you results in your NAVICA app as well as your email in less than 5 min, which you can print out or just keep on your phone.

Can you set up the account on a desk top computer?

8 hours ago, Jasukkie said:

eMed order arrived in 3 days, manufactured last week, expires in November. They seem to have this down despite a lot of demand on tests right now.

When you write expires in November, are you referring to November of 2022?  Just to be clear to everyone.  This will give people an idea about the longevity of it now.  

Thanks

Each person has to have an account set up in the NAVICA app.  You cannot do more than one test with a proctor, so it you will be making 4 different calls. 

Do not open the kits until instructed to do so.  Once you are ready to test log on to www.Emed.com and a live proctor will come on and walk you through the test.

Once completed you will have you results in your NAVICA app as well as your email in less than 5 min, which you can print out or just keep on your phone.

Everything you said is true.  However you can have more than one person do it at a time.  We had 6 people testing so did it in 2 waves.  3 people in different parts of the house tested at the same time on different devices and then the second set went.  Worked great!

• Like 1