Move cruise to later date,

Hinda

35 minutes ago, DC225 said:

Do you have data or evidence to support your statement that Oceania's SailSafe protocol is working better than NCL's approach?

I do not and have zero interest in what NCL may be doing. We went on an NCL cruise many years ago - “one and done.”

• Like 1

We are scheduled for our first Oceania on the Rivera on 28 Jan. We have multiple cruises on Regent and decided to try Oceania.  We scheduled this cruise nearly a year ago after the vaccine became available. We, as well as many others, thought cruising would be safe when this was scheduled. Our final payment was due prior to the emergence of Omicron. We will go on this cruise unless it’s cancelled by Oceania. However, given the opportunity to get a cash refund I would grab it; we are not interested in FCC as there are no cruises we are interested in between now and 31Dec22. Cancelling now would mean loosing > $20,000.00 as we booked a Vista Suite. I am not impressed with Oceania’s customer service after following CC. And,yes, I did read the ticket contract, but the situation under which we booked was very different than the present. Given the available rooms (that I checked every day on the web site) prior to the cruise being waitlisted I can’t believe that this cruise will turn a profit for the company. At least that decreases our chance of exposure.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gray Eagle02 said:

We are scheduled for our first Oceania on the Rivera on 28 Jan. We have multiple cruises on Regent and decided to try Oceania.  We scheduled this cruise nearly a year ago after the vaccine became available. We, as well as many others, thought cruising would be safe when this was scheduled. Our final payment was due prior to the emergence of Omicron. We will go on this cruise unless it’s cancelled by Oceania. However, given the opportunity to get a cash refund I would grab it; we are not interested in FCC as there are no cruises we are interested in between now and 31Dec22. Cancelling now would mean loosing > $20,000.00 as we booked a Vista Suite. I am not impressed with Oceania’s customer service after following CC. And,yes, I did read the ticket contract, but the situation under which we booked was very different than the present. Given the available rooms (that I checked every day on the web site) prior to the cruise being waitlisted I can’t believe that this cruise will turn a profit for the company. At least that decreases our chance of exposure.

It’s safe to say that O is focused more on the bigger picture of “restarting” one or more ships. It’s too complicated to explain (particularly since my knowledge and experience in the maritime community may only be enough to be mildly dangerous😉) but, O’s current business strategy “is what it is” and O will emerge OK.

FWIW: IMO, there remains an unquantifiable decision bias in the “buck stops here” office at NCL Holding. FDR is an exceptional leader in the cruise industry. He knows the products, the strategies and the necessary balance across three bands. However, and even if he was to deny it’s influence, Oceania will always be his baby. 

Don’t get me wrong. FDR has proven time and again that he will do what’s best for the company while demonstrating care and concern for its customers. But, even if unconsciously, O will always have some measurable degree of greater latitude.

That said, I’ll save those who disagree (regarding FDR) the trouble: I can’t prove it. But, I trust my intuition when it comes to assessing folks in (or aspiring to) all sorts of executive positions.

BTW: What I can offer that is proven is my own experience with O over the past two years of their cruise modifications/cancellations (affecting many of my bookings) in combination with my own approved requests for several policy exceptions that were mutually beneficial.

Suffice to say that I trust Oceania - so much so that I have five segment booking in 2022 totalling approx. 100 nights.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Don’t get me wrong. FDR has proven time and again that he will do what’s best for the company while demonstrating care and concern for its customers. But, even if unconsciously, O will always have some measurable degree of greater latitude.

I agree completely. I always get a kick out of the Regent board, where the Regent sycophants insist in call Regent “ family”. They are primarily a business and good customer service is part of good business practices. And while I generally enjoy the luxury cruise segment, I never forget that profit is the primary motivation. But unless I’m completely blown away by the Oceania product, this will be my only Oceania cruise. 

5 minutes ago, Gray Eagle02 said:

I agree completely. I always get a kick out of the Regent board, where the Regent sycophants insist in call Regent “ family”. They are primarily a business and good customer service is part of good business practices. And while I generally enjoy the luxury cruise segment, I never forget that profit is the primary motivation. But unless I’m completely blown away by the Oceania product, this will be my only Oceania cruise. 

The “family”  idea applies to many small lines where, if you cruise often enough (and the crew tend to stay with the company [which is very true of O]), it’s hard not to get to know some of them and even stay connected in some fashion. 
We know some of the long-serving crew/officers on O and do stay in touch with about a half dozen throughout the years even when no cruise is happening. 

But, we never forget that Oceania is a business and we’re a “rounding error.” Nonetheless, I can say that, whenever I’ve had occasion to need something like an FCC deadline extension, cruise transfer (for good reason) or agreement to an inventive way to get some perk or policy “massaged,” O has (for the most part) been very accommodating - particularly when I work through my carefully assembled Rolodex (how old am I?) looking for the person who can make it happen (including, at times 2-3 top tier TAs)

I’d also like to think that a forty year professional career of “negotiating to yes” has helped. Or, perhaps it’s just my rugged good looks (“move over Clooney”).

4 minutes ago, Jayne E said:

Supposedly NCL has cancelled a cruise scheduled to depart Miami tomorrow and another ship is returning a week early.  All due to outbreaks….many among staff.

Yikes! Source?

2 minutes ago, Jayne E said:

Not good at all.  Now will Oceania address this pandemic?

Oceania has already addressed this Pandemic with a carefully crafted SailSafe Plan that appears to be adequately handling any positive tests on it’s three small restarted ships. 
 Many of us are following multiple O roll calls for the ships now at sea. 
We shall see.....

OK - now I am confused. 
On the current O Rivera thread “Onboard Riviera,” someone has posted that he had to “register with Eurofins” apparently(?) for the pierside embarkation test(?) ???

We’ve got our boarding passes from the online check-in and there was zero information regarding registering for the Covid pier test.

Can any of you shed light on this?

Someone asked above for proof that Oceania's policies were working better than NCL's.  I think this NCL cancellation is that proof.  The difference is between NCL's cruise ships with thousands of passengers, including children, and Oceania's ships with hundreds of adults.  The smaller the ship, the easier to maintain safe policies.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

OK - now I am confused. 
On the current O Rivera thread “Onboard Riviera,” someone has posted that he had to “register with Eurofins” apparently(?) for the pierside embarkation test(?) ???

We’ve got our boarding passes from the online check-in and there was zero information regarding registering for the Covid pier test.

Can any of you shed light on this?

I think he meant the test he got 72 hrs prior to boarding.

I was on the Dec.13 Riviera cruise.  About a week before the cruise I got an email to register with Eurofins for the Covid test at the pier.  This was separate from the boarding pass and check-in time that that you get when you finish registering at 21 days to the cruise.  Nowhere do they explain that the Eurofins test registration occurs much closer to the embarkation date.

13 minutes ago, lj77346 said:

I was on the Dec.13 Riviera cruise.  About a week before the cruise I got an email to register with Eurofins for the Covid test at the pier.  This was separate from the boarding pass and check-in time that that you get when you finish registering at 21 days to the cruise.  Nowhere do they explain that the Eurofins test registration occurs much closer to the embarkation date.

And this was for embarkation in Miami?  (Sorry but I can find past cruise itineraries on the O website).

Yes, the Dec. 13 Riviera cruise was from Miami.  Prior to the cruise I was confused because people on the previous cruise were  referring to the Eurofins registration and it's never mentioned when you complete the online stuff 21 days before the cruise.  When you register with Eurofins, closer to the cruise date, you get a barcode which you show at the first desk in the testing tent.  Then, you are sent to a tech to get tested.

7 minutes ago, lj77346 said:

Yes, the Dec. 13 Riviera cruise was from Miami.  Prior to the cruise I was confused because people on the previous cruise were  referring to the Eurofins registration and it's never mentioned when you complete the online stuff 21 days before the cruise.  When you register with Eurofins, closer to the cruise date, you get a barcode which you show at the first desk in the testing tent.  Then, you are sent to a tech to get tested.

Thanks! So, do you remember how many days prior to embark you actually got an email(?) telling you to register with Eurofins?

This is a bit weird because I thought the pierside testing was being done by Nomi.

1 hour ago, RCD1952 said:

Tonight I just got word from my TA that Oceania is changing policies to allow cancellation for a FCC good through March 2023.

is it possible to find out from your TA if (as has been the case with several other similar posts) on this has been a response to a request for an exemption from the policy (as opposed to an actual wholesale policy change).

I ask because, if it is the latter, the Travrlers Assurance Program would be back on the O website.

Now, more than ever, “the devil is in the detail.”

48 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

is it possible to find out from your TA if (as has been the case with several other similar posts) on this has been a response to a request for an exemption from the policy (as opposed to an actual wholesale policy change).

I ask because, if it is the latter, the Travrlers Assurance Program would be back on the O website.

Now, more than ever, “the devil is in the detail.”

You have greater faith in the immediate updating of the O website than I do...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Thanks! So, do you remember how many days prior to embark you actually got an email(?) telling you to register with Eurofins?

This is a bit weird because I thought the pierside testing was being done by Nomi.

I got the request Nov 28th for my Dec 3rd cruise

COVID TEST REGISTRATION

Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to provide you with some very important information regarding your upcoming voyage from Miami. All guests will receive a COVID-19 antigen test upon arrival at the cruise embarkation terminal. Once your test is administered, there will be an approximate 15-20 minute waiting period. Once you receive a negative test result, you will be directed to the check-in area.

Oceania Cruises has partnered with Eurofins as its test service provider (and data processor in this context) to perform laboratory services aimed at direct pathogen detection of the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus. To speed up the COVID-19 testing process, we strongly encourage all guests to register with our testing provider, Eurofins, prior to embarkation.

Each guest must complete a registration and obtain a barcode registration ID.
A unique email address for each guest is preferred but if more than one guests are sharing an email address, please follow the steps below to add a member within the same account.

To begin your COVID-19 test registration with Eurofins, click here (we recommend using Google Chrome for an optimal experience). If you do not have a US or Canadian address, when registering with Eurofins, please use the PortMiami address and phone number, which are:
1015 North America Way, Miami, FL 33132
305-347-5512.

First time users should select new patient. If you have been tested by Eurofins on a previous voyage, you should select existing patient. Upon successful completion of the registration, you will receive a confirmation email from Eurofins My LabPort.

Steps for adding a member within the same account:

• Login to your Eurofins My Labport account
  • Select Add new member at the top of the screen
  • Complete all contact information.  NOTE: The Country, Phone Number and Email fields will be pre-populated for you
  • Click save

When you receive your registration barcode, please save it to the mobile device you will have with you at check-in or bring a physical, printed copy with you.

We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter and look forward to welcoming you on board in the very near future.

Warmest regards,

Carlos E. Ortega
Vice President, Guest Services
Oceania Cruises

Should you have any questions, click here to contact us or call Oceania Cruises at:
United States and Canada 855-OCEANIA  |  Europe and U.K. +44 345 505 1920
Australia 1300 355 200  |  New Zealand 0800 625 691  |  Asia +852 2165 6010