Merged:Outbreak on QM2 as it pulls into New York?

Annabel50

3 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

It could have been worse, they could have been offloaded in Barbados.

If it'd happened in a Spanish port, they would have been offloaded, for sure. 

Personally I am of the opinion Cunard have acted incredibly fairly towards passengers, well beyond their contractual obligations. They are to be much commended.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Personally I am of the opinion Cunard have acted incredibly fairly towards passengers, well beyond their contractual obligations. They are to be much commended.

I quite agree.  She may only be floating metal, but I do feel for the ship.   As for these passengers in particular, it was only time until photos of sad compensation faces appeared - and thousands of comments from DM experts on cruise ships.

23 hours ago, hamrag said:

Having been onboard, this is absolutely a correct statement! It cannot be stressed enough. 

• Like 3

Just read this from a passenger on Queen Mary.Now we are almost back to the UK  our Christmas cruise as there have been lots of rumours.  The sail home has been fine, good weather and calm seas so far, expecting it to become more choppy towards home on Monday.  

The people who had to isolate and have done the requisite time are out now! Some people still isolating as we had further test before leaving Barbados.  We spoke to a lady yesterday who had tested positive after Christmas and she couldn’t praise Cunard enough.  She’d had an inside cabin and they moved her to a balcony room, delivered her wine each evening, as she had the drinks package, said she could order whatever food she wanted. I don’t know if you’ve seen an article in the daily mail with a couple (photo of messy room and sad faces) moaning about food on paper plates etc, but they omitted to mention they have had 125% reimbursement for the the 2 week Caribbean leg. 

Barring the fact that we missed out on Caribbean ports, it hasn’t affected us personally. We had a day out in Barbados and then 3 or 4 days anchored out in the bay with glorious weather and all the facilities available on board.  All the gala evenings have gone ahead, the food has been fabulous and although we couldn’t dance in the Queens Room, there have been parties with live music and dancing out on the deck. 

Cunard haven’t confirmed how many covid cases there have been, so any numbers are pure speculation.  The fact that the next 4 day cruise has been cancelled I think is so that they can take all the Christmas trees down and give the whole ship a deep clean for the next one!

Edited by Rocky of London
  • Like 11

Thanks Ricky of London for you postive post- I am so tired of all those complainers. I, too, saw that article with the sad looking passengers. Strange what people are willing to do for the 2 minutes of fame! I cross fingers that my voyage starting March 3 rd is still a go. My first time on the Mary2 since the pandemic started. Even though I am very thankfull to have been able two cruise four times in 2020 and 2021.

Just back from QM2 Southampton - NY- BWI - Southampton  adventure!!!! We were only able to land at Barbados there for 3 days not always docked- no Tortola, St. Kitts or St Martin - sailed directly to Southampton from Barbados. Many other liners in and out so QM2 has to move in and out of harbor;QV stood by as an accommodation ship fore replacement crew.Due to not returning to NYC, folks were flown to NY and UK on charter flights from Barbados.Up at 5 AM to disembark, they were not happy campers! I really enjoyed it ANYWAY! The Covid virus has a long tail!

The crew appeared really happy to be working and anxious to please. Restaurant and room stewards were excellent. Sailing back to UK with a much diminished PAX load was rather weird. Embarkation at Southampton was a HORROR but I don’t think Cunard was at fault-much more the UK health mavens and ABP. The shipping lines must do what they are told -or else. QM2 was in superb shape; maintenance was constant as usual. I had my lap top with me:  

Discovery: To get a proper WiFi connection one has to prop the cabin door open - with a shoe or book-as the system is wired down the corridors!!!!! Suggestion: rewire into cabins at next major refit😉

The Covid testing regime is getting ‘very old’; I was anxious as I had to be tested again before flying home to NYC. Very unnerving😔 and tiring.

I'm back on my favorite ship in August-who knows what the future holds; I hope it will be brighter.

• Like 6