Merged:Outbreak on QM2 as it pulls into New York?

Annabel50

If this is correct news, I wonder if any relation to Cunard not testing at port before embarking as understand pax had to organise own tests in the days just before boarding ? Appreciate would not necessarily have picked up all but might have helped ?

12 minutes ago, watsonbeau said:

If this is correct news, I wonder if any relation to Cunard not testing at port before embarking as understand pax had to organise own tests in the days just before boarding ? Appreciate would not necessarily have picked up all but might have helped ?

It's too soon for that, everyone who boarded in Southampton was tested before boarding and nobody has boarded in New York yet.

If this is true it's more likely that it's from the tests carried out onboard before arrival in New York.

I don't know how accurate The Express is but here is the story I picked up from Cunard FB page: https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1539148/queen-mary-two-cruise-britons-stranded-new-york/amp?fbclid=IwAR1ZyZJT_I2PsTY5Q2jCr-15jVHQ_w9qIGSuxT4nkQZpicbhI8LUZ-PlH_A

Another poster said it was also on Sky News.

Sitting here wondering what will happen as I am booked to board her Jan. 3rd.

• Like 1

Yes, I just saw that as well on another thread.  We're supposed to board her tomorrow!  I just checked online at Cunard and there's no updated information.  Will assume, until I hear otherwise, that everything's a Go for tomorrow.  Received our Negative test results, have all our vaccinations/booster paperwork in order.  I even held off packing until we received our Negative Test Results. 

Will be checking here throughout the day, as well as Cunard's website, in case there are more updates.

Harrowing times, to say the least!!

Susan

• Host Hattie changed the title to Merged:Outbreak on QM2 as it pulls into New York?
2 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

How did they get an outbreak with everyone being tested and not getting off the ship anywhere?

Hello, 

On our transat cruise in November, Azamara tested us at the pier, and yet, we had a positive case without stopping anywhere. They tested all the contacts to make sure no one else was impacted. Luckily, no one was, but we were only 370 pax on a capacity of 750…

So it does happen. Tests are not full proof.

very sad in deed.

1 hour ago, carpese said:

Yes, I just saw that as well on another thread.  We're supposed to board her tomorrow!  I just checked online at Cunard and there's no updated information.  Will assume, until I hear otherwise, that everything's a Go for tomorrow.  Received our Negative test results, have all our vaccinations/booster paperwork in order.  I even held off packing until we received our Negative Test Results. 

Will be checking here throughout the day, as well as Cunard's website, in case there are more updates.

Harrowing times, to say the least!!

Susan

I would cancel and go another time.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, comcox said:

I don't know how accurate The Express is but here is the story I picked up from Cunard FB page: https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1539148/queen-mary-two-cruise-britons-stranded-new-york/amp?fbclid=IwAR1ZyZJT_I2PsTY5Q2jCr-15jVHQ_w9qIGSuxT4nkQZpicbhI8LUZ-PlH_A

Another poster said it was also on Sky News.

Sitting here wondering what will happen as I am booked to board her Jan. 3rd.

Not particularly .....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, watsonbeau said:

This lot of passengers was tested at the port in Southampton and that may have contributed to the situation as hundreds were lined up in a closed space going through the testing process.  See the photo in the Express article.

Edited by comcox

42 minutes ago, comcox said:

This lot of passengers was tested at the port in Southampton and that may have contributed to the situation as hundreds were lined up in a closed space going through the testing process.  See the photo in the Express article.

But surely any positive passengers would have tested positive and been refused?

9 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

How could that have happened though? Once tested you go onboard the QM2 which doesnt stop till it hits NYC?

The tests are only good for a point in time, if someone had been exposed shortly before boarding they would test negative at boarding but positive for the pre-arrival tests.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

The tests are only good for a point in time, if someone had been exposed shortly before boarding they would test negative at boarding but positive for the pre-arrival tests.

Which seems to undermine the value of testing.  Of course most cases would be caught by tests - but the fact remains:

There is no such thing as a sure thing.

The photo seems to show people queueing  in the baggage reclaim area, were people here waiting to be tested or waiting to be let upstairs for check in and embarkation? 

When embarked onto Sky Princess in October it was a very slick operation. We had driven so went to the Mayflower terminal to be tested but there didn't seem to be much of a queue for the others that were tested at the Ocean terminal. We had a small wait (5 mins) before being allowed up the escalator to check in and then sitting down for a while before being called through for security and boarding but that was it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kohl1957 said:

Just remember the old saying in "journalism": 

"If it bleeds, it leads"

I spent 48 hours almost nonstop in the media carnival during the ACHILLE LAURO hijacking and frankly wouldn't trust anything I read or watched in a newspaper or "the news" ever again.  

Fear, panic and distortion are worse than anything.  It comes from something other than a virus, too. 

I'd wait for Cunard and the CDC to report on this before I wrapped my fish and chips in The Express. 

In the UK the Daily Express is notorious for exaggerating and painting a black picture of things. Every year it's going to be the coldest, snowiest winter on record or the hottest, wettest summer ever normally quoting one meteorologist of dubious credentials. One year they'll get it right and say 'told you so'!

I hope that things are OK on the QM2 at the moment, some onboard are regular posters on here and Roll Call so you would think if it is bad as described in the article we would be hearing about it first hand. In fact there is very little feedback even though there are 2 topics on here one for 'Anyone currently on QM2' and the other 'Updates from QM2 13th Dec Caribbean Cruise'.