Covid Pre-Testing in January of 2022

Clownfish Cruiser

5 hours ago, Clownfish Cruiser said:

Tests have been ordered! I did order 2 kits, in case we mess up. If you've ordered the Optum kits, what is the expiration date? The website says the kits "might" expire in February of 2022. Our cruise is in about 3 weeks, so we'll be fine with that, but we also have Alaska booked in June. I guess the tests might expire well before then, but it would be nice if they didn't, to be able to use the 2nd test for that cruise! 

I bought tests last week and they expire February 5

• Like 1

We live in NYC and testing is a nightmare.  We were able to cancel our January 9th cruise today as Princess has just changed the rules.   We received some future cruise credits and some cash back which is OK with us.  We would need to fly and then stay in a hotel and then cruise and fly home again and at our advanced age was frightening.  Too much stress.  

I saw the previous post from someone who recently ordered tests through the Optum site that had an October '22 expiration date. For those of you who have recently ordered tests through Optum, are the expiration dates several months down the road. We have a mid-February cruise and would like to go ahead and order the tests to have on hand in case local testing ends up being a problem. Thanks 

2 minutes ago, I object 2 said:

Our test kit came from Optum today.  The kit lists 2 dates:  11/06/21 and 12/09/2022.   I'm guessing the December date is the expiration date.

Ours had 2 dates also 12/09/21 (which I figured was manufacture date) and 11/06/22 (which I figured was expiration)

In large red letters it says not to open until instructed to do so.

It also says to download the App prior to your appointment. What appointment?

Also, can it be proctored via my phone?

9 minutes ago, chamima said:

Ours had 2 dates also 12/09/21 (which I figured was manufacture date) and 11/06/22 (which I figured was expiration)

In large red letters it says not to open until instructed to do so.

It also says to download the App prior to your appointment. What appointment?

Also, can it be proctored via my phone?

There are several good videos on You Tube of people who did the proctored BinaxNOW tests via smart phone.  Be sure to view one or two to see the process.  We've downloaded the Navica app and registered so we will be able to test the day before we cruise.  I don't believe you need to schedule an appointment.  As far as I know there are proctors available 24/7.

To test, log in to the app and select "I Have a Test".  The app will walk you thru the process from there.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mycruisey said:

We live in NYC and testing is a nightmare.  We were able to cancel our January 9th cruise today as Princess has just changed the rules.   We received some future cruise credits and some cash back which is OK with us.  We would need to fly and then stay in a hotel and then cruise and fly home again and at our advanced age was frightening.  Too much stress.  

Which rules were changed? We are on a January 8th cruise and haven’t been alerted to any changes.

Edited by Poulsbo Cruisers

12 hours ago, palolake said:

Could you tell me which clinic that is?  We have the home kits but I'm paranoid about them since I've read the liquid in some came dried up, etc.  Would just like a backup 🙂

Lab Doctor is right down the street from the Embassy suites. 1425 SE 17th street. Phone # 954-530-4447. Walk in Rapid  Antigen test is $49.00 and you get paperwork of your results. They do not take insurance. I emailed them today and they responded immediately. I also spoke to them the other month and very nice. They are open mon-fri 8-6 : Saturday 8-2 and Sunday 10-3 for covid testing only. Hope this helps!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Poulsbo Cruisers said:

Which rules were changed? We are on a January 8th cruise and haven’t been alerted to any changes.

? Maybe the masking rules which now require you to be masked at all times inside except while eating, drinking or in your cabin??

3 hours ago, caribill said:

? Maybe the masking rules which now require you to be masked at all times inside except while eating, drinking or in your cabin??

8 hours ago, ChangeOrder said:

I ordered 2 BinaxNow tests a couple days ago, and they arrived today. Manufactured Dec 9th, expire Nov 2022.

That’s great!  Did you order through PCL optum link?  Has anyone ordered through

emed sight, the 6 pack?  If so, expiration 

date?  TIA

This is all good information. My BinaxNOW tests are scheduled for delivery today and I'll let you know the expiration date. I did order the tests through the Princess website Optum link, which includes the necessary Telehealth to make the test acceptable for the cruise. Another poster mentioned a good point that I read on another thread, which is don't open ANYTHING until you're actually connected to the proctor to actually to the test. They will give you the step-by-step instructions. I plan to watch a YouTube video ahead of time also. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Poulsbo Cruisers said:

Not sure, but my travel agent called Princess yesterday and was able to cancel.  When I had called myself they refused.  The TC said they had just loosened the policy, but did not explain further.

8 minutes ago, mycruisey said:

Not sure, but my travel agent called Princess yesterday and was able to cancel.  When I had called myself they refused.  The TC said they had just loosened the policy, but did not explain further.

Interesting…the book with confidence policy is 30 days before.  Not sure what this policy is, unless it is medical?

let us know if you find out what has changed?  

13 hours ago, Poulsbo Cruisers said:

Princess web site now has an extension of their cruise with confidence policy.  Here are some new details:

COVID-19 Protection Program

We’ve got you covered if COVID-19 upsets your cruise plans

This new policy within our Cruise with Confidence program provides reassurance if you are within 30 days of sailing, all the way through to disembarking from your cruise. It is designed to assist you if, as a result of being suspected of having or testing positive for COVID-19 or as a result of government travel restrictions put in place within 30 days of embarkation, you may be unable to travel to your cruise embarkation port, may be denied boarding, may be quarantined on board or disembarked early. COVID-19 Protection Program is available on all cruises sailing through April 30, 2022, for bookings made on or before February 28, 2022.

Within 30 Days of Your Sail Date

• If you or your immediate travel party in the same stateroom tests positive for COVID-19 within the 30 days prior to and including embarkation day or is denied boarding for a COVID-19 related reason, you will receive a Future Cruise Credit (FCC) for 100% of the cancellation fee amount of non-refundable unused services, and a refund to the original form of payment for all taxes, fees, port expenses and pre-paid onboard experiences and shore excursions purchased through Princess.
  • Please see our Book with Confidence Policy for more details about our booking flexibility outside of 30 days.

More here:   COVID-19 Protection Program — Cruise with Confidence - Princess Cruises

Edited by Daniel A
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, I object 2 said:

There are several good videos on You Tube of people who did the proctored BinaxNOW tests via smart phone.  Be sure to view one or two to see the process.  We've downloaded the Navica app and registered so we will be able to test the day before we cruise.  I don't believe you need to schedule an appointment.  As far as I know there are proctors available 24/7.

To test, log in to the app and select "I Have a Test".  The app will walk you thru the process from there.   

I was also informed that they work on holidays also.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

That’s great!  Did you order through PCL optum link?  Has anyone ordered through

emed sight, the 6 pack?  If so, expiration 

date?  TIA

I did not use a Princess link, but went to the Optum site directly and found the tests there. 

• Thanks 1

Our BinaxNOW tests have arrived! Received the test quickly, 1 day after ordering (the website said to allow 1-2 days). I received a tracking number from FedEx yesterday. There are two dates, 11/6/2022 and 12/9/2022 on all the boxes. I'm not sure which is the expiration, but regardless, I will be able to use them for the January Caribbean cruise and also for Alaska in July (if we don't mess one up). 

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

One question I have is that one test kit includes 2 tests.  So if it were just my DW and myself cruising , would I just need to get 1 test kit 

I only ordered the one set of two but lots of people on here say they’re ordering doubles in case there’s a problem with any of them.  
We actually have appointments for tests locally so I thought two was enough for a back up. 

There's an urgent care right down the street from me that always gets my rapid PCRs back in ~24 hours never longer than that (even during peak periods). Already have an appointment for mine the Thur before my cruise on the 15th not worried at all

1 minute ago, fpsphil said:

There's an urgent care right down the street from me that always gets my rapid PCRs back in ~24 hours never longer than that (even during peak periods). Already have an appointment for mine the Thur before my cruise on the 15th not worried at all

Thanks.  Good suggestion

I’m hoping that the lack of test kits are mainly due to Christmas family get togethers and once January rolls around, the insanity will end and we will have easier access to testing sites and kits.

1 hour ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

One question I have is that one test kit includes 2 tests.  So if it were just my DW and myself cruising , would I just need to get 1 test kit 

If you're talking about the proctored at-home tests, those have one test per box.  So you would need to order two boxes in order to get the two tests you need.

The non-proctored at-home test kits have two tests in each box, but those aren't accepted by the cruise lines.