COVID Testing on Iona

Gettingwarmer

Just now, molecrochip said:

I'm not saying P&O don't have short falls but if the local authorities won't provide updates, details of hotels, timescales, testing etc, it makes life very difficult to provide any accurate information. Then what? P&O can phone and ask how are you, but they can't do anything more.

To add, the complainants position assumes that P&O has more ability to input and information which they are essentially withholding. I don't believe this is the case.

1 minute ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

It should focus everyone on taking extra care and put pressure on those who show lack of respect for rules to show more respect

Can only help reduce spread 

Stats won't make any difference. Passengers either want to take care or not. In fact, knowing the numbers, can cause negative behaviours. Some passengers go "I'm going to get it anyway, I may as well not follow the rules".

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

If that isnt a case of "not me guv" in support I dont know what is. Of course P&O are absolutely fantastic and have great customer service......I do not think so.

The cruise lines can distance themselves as much as they want and blame any country they once their passengers are disembarked

Will do them far more harm in the long run than good though

These are the bad news stories that will put far more people off cruising than anything that actually happens on the ship. These are the stories that will get media coverage 

Although a lot of what happens is indeed out of the cruise line hands they should be doing everything they can to reduce the anguish and concerns of their passengers once disembarked

They should have their very busy customer service staff on hand at quarantine hotels to support their passengers the very best they possibly can

Terribly stressful time for those passengers in lots of ways 

How they look after them will earn rave reviews or scathing criticism 

Blaming everything on others isn't going to help either the passengers or the cruise lines short term or long term

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Stats won't make any difference. Passengers either want to take care or not. In fact, knowing the numbers, can cause negative behaviours. Some passengers go "I'm going to get it anyway, I may as well not follow the rules".

Those passengers should themselves be sent to quarantine then 

9 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

They should have their very busy customer service staff on hand at quarantine hotels to support their passengers the very best they possibly can

So a P&O representative at every quarantine hotel, at every port that P&O cruise to, just in case !

Not exactly practical, is it ? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, wowzz said:

So a P&O representative at every quarantine hotel, at every port that P&O cruise to, just in case !

Not exactly practical, is it ? 

Who said just in case?

Cunard New York has made international headlines already

Now if Cunard have chosen to not have someone there to help those passengers over Christmas then more fool Cunard

If P and O have indeed had to offload a significant number of passengers in Tenerife and don't have a top customer service rep there to support then more fool them as well

The bad news stories will just develop unabashed and the passengers will feel deserted and have nobody from P and O to relate to or thank for their help

That's not just in case

That's business.  They need someone like molecrochip nearby to listen to them, sympathise with them and help them

If theyve offloaded 49 passengers they can easily find resource from the ship to allocate a staff member or two to support them for sure 

Nowhere for P and O is more important than what stories come out from  that Tenerife quarantine hotel next few days

Abandon those passengers at your peril

Support them and you can turn a bad situation into a much better one for all concerned

25 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Thank you for a clear and detailed assessment, which once and for all puts an end to some of the conspiracy theories that have been floating around. 

Why some people continue to nit pick, and continue to find fault with the way P&O is handling the situation is beyond me,  especially as they are not even on a cruise, and don't have one booked !

And I suspect that’s exactly why they don’t have one booked! No conspiracy theories really,  just a lack of communication from the cruiselines which is putting off a lot of prospective cruisers. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

And I suspect that’s exactly why they don’t have one booked! No conspiracy theories really,  just a lack of communication from the cruiselines which is putting off a lot of prospective cruisers. 

Communication and genuine care for the well being of passengers

Thats what's sorely missing from all the cruise lines I've followed to date

Let me make it clear. Molecrochip is getting a bit of a hard time on here. He or she is clearly a good guy and clearly cares.

But molecrochips communication on here seems far superior to anything I see from the cruise lines? 

Even though I'm not buying all of it

How can that be?

Where are the people who care and who can communicate when these problems arise?

All I see from cruise line statements  is obvious  spin trying to severely play down or deny problems exist ?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

I cant say that they comment often and much recently. Its quite predictable that their support services have become smaller and many people lost their jobs. To be honest, there isnt really much to say, people face the same issues every day which no longer require some special attention.. I wonder how far this thing will go 

1 hour ago, Solent Richard said:

Hmnnnn. As New York is behind us in time it isn't Christmas Day there yet as it isn't here. Fake News rules OK. 😂

To be fair I am only reporting that one person in quarantine in NY has been told they won't get food on Christmas Day, not that they didn't. Hopefully something will be sorted for them. 

33 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Again,  speak for yourself - we have 4 booked. 

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Wowzz, I’m pleased for you and hope that you get to enjoy them all. 

You’re a seasoned traveller and I don’t think a lot will put you off. You’re evidently as ease with booking and making arrangements, paper work, technology etc and that’s great. And if you were to find yourself having to leave a cruise then I’m pretty certain that you would cope admirably. 

I just know that I wouldn’t have the energy, the inclination or the know-how to cope with a lot of it. Don’t get me wrong - I’m not against off-loading covid cases and I understand why it happens. But there are too many grey areas for me and I just can’t understand why the cruiselines aren’t being a bit more open about things. That’s all! 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, wowzz said:

We only have 3 booked . BA have just rescheduled our Lanza flight for the 3rd time. Not bothered. All the doom and gloom on here will put me off travel...........not.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

We only have 3 booked . BA have just rescheduled our Lanza flight for the 3rd time. Not bothered. All the doom and gloom on here will put me off travel...........not.

You’re just reinforcing the point I made earlier. Another seasoned traveller, willing and able to cope with whatever happens and almost blasé about it all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Who said just in case?

Cunard New York has made international headlines already

Now if Cunard have chosen to not have someone there to help those passengers over Christmas then more fool Cunard

If P and O have indeed had to offload a significant number of passengers in Tenerife and don't have a top customer service rep there to support then more fool them as well

The bad news stories will just develop unabashed and the passengers will feel deserted and have nobody from P and O to relate to or thank for their help

That's not just in case

That's business.  They need someone like molecrochip nearby to listen to them, sympathise with them and help them

If theyve offloaded 49 passengers they can easily find resource from the ship to allocate a staff member or two to support them for sure 

Nowhere for P and O is more important than what stories come out from  that Tenerife quarantine hotel next few days

Abandon those passengers at your peril

Support them and you can turn a bad situation into a much better one for all concerned

Cunard will make headlines not because it's COVID but because it's the Queen Mary 2 which is a legendary ship all over the world.  As you have been explained on the Cunard site that particular ship is untouchable and those of us who sail on her do it mainly for love of her.  Personally I'm very upset I felt the need to cancel my 14 January cruise on her but I did not do it without a lot of thought.  I just felt mixed nationality cruises at this stage was one step to far in pandemic times.

• Like 1

Just now, Ardennais said:

You’re just reinforcing the point I made earlier. Another seasoned traveller, willing and able to cope with whatever happens and almost blasé about it all. 

Almost, but not quite. We consider a lot of what if's when we plan. Travel is fairly high up in our priorities, so we are quite prepared for the unexpected. I do appreciate that some folk are not able to be so flexible, but they ( not you of course 🤣) seem to read all the bad reports they can find and kindly share them with everyone else.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

Thanks you so much Megabear and Molecrochip for your informed, balanced and sensible reporting of the facts which, for me, counter balances so much of the ill-informed speculation and rumour-mongering which is prevalent on here.  And, Megabear, so pleased that those who are actually cruising are having a fantastic time.  Your thread mirrors many similarly upbeat reports from current cruisers across a wide variety of lines on other boards.  I'm very pleased that so many are having fantastic cruise holidays, despite the inevitable hurdles and inconveniences, notwithstanding all of the nonsense on here from armchair cruisers (many of whom have expressed firm intentions not to cruise under current circumstances) suggesting - in so many words - that the world is about to end.  My wife and I had a similarly excellent time on staycaytions in August and October and your reports make me certain that we will have another fantastic cruise in February, albeit we will embark with eyes wide open about the possible risks.

I think this is a little harsh. I am one that does not want to cruise in the current situation, particularly because of the issue quarantine in a foreign country. I have never said that I won't cruise again or that the world is going to end. Nor have I posted any ill-informed speculation or rumour mongering. It is a question of risk and at the moment it is a risk I am not prepared to make. Many on here who fall in the group you have maligned are experienced cruises and have enough experience of life to make their own decision without being lectured to.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

We've just enjoyed the carol concert in the atrium so on a happy note I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and good health for 2022.

IMG20211224143810.jpg

Thanks for all your help and information regarding quarantine and insurance. I hope your current cruise continues to work our for you and you have a great Christmas on board.

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

We've just enjoyed the carol concert in the atrium so on a happy note I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and good health for 2022.

IMG20211224143810.jpg

WHEN A LUXURY CRUISE BECOMES YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE
Going on any holiday during COVID was always going to be different and for many the risks associated with travelling during a pandemic are not worth the potential rewards. But the reality for myself and my husband who tested positive for COVID on Tuesday has surpassed our worst nightmares.
Travelling on P&O’s newest ship Iona for their Christmas and New Year cruise 18th December through to 3rd January we were assured that the necessary COVID protocols were in place and felt as loyal P&O customers that they would look after their guests should anything happen.
All passengers aboard, aged over 12 were given an antigen test regardless of symptoms during our 4th day aboard. We were tested deck by deck during the day and went to bed assuming that all was well.
We were woken in the middle of the night with a call from the medical team to say that my husband had tested positive and would need a follow up PCR to confirm, which they were on their way to complete. Once that confirmed his positive COVID status we were given about an hour to pack and were moved to an isolation cabin up on deck 15 in the early hours.
Life aboard in isolation was ok, if a bit frustrating as we were given little or no information about what was going to be happening next, other than that we would be removed from the ship and transferred to an isolation hotel in Tenerife on Thursday. But I do question the logic of both my husband and I being in the same cabin with no access to cleaning materials so that I could at least attempt to stay safe.
We spent the next day that the ship docked in Madeira watching the world go by from our balcony, chatting to the other guests also in quarantine following a positive COVID test and started the process of contacting our insurers. If only this could have been how we spent the rest of the cruise!
We were contacted by the medical team on arrival in Tenerife to say that they would start to transfer us by taxi to our quarantine hotel from 1pm, but still no details on the actual hotel. I think it was the lack of information that was frustrating and worried me the most.
We were told to order an early lunch so that we would be ready to leave at short notice. By the time lunch arrived, although I was concerned that this might be the last decent meal, I was too anxious to eat.
Still no detail on where we were going, but eventually some of the guests were asked to put their luggage outside and one of our fellow quarantiners who had said he wasn’t leaving the ship until he knew where he was being taken was told that the hotel would be the Occidental Santa Cruz Contempraneo – depending on where you room was in the hotel, potentially not too shabby from a quick Google.
Eventually we started to move, with the understandably humiliating accompanying crew in hazmat suits spraying us as we walked. Followed by the rather comical automated ‘Goodbye’ as they scanned our cruise card as we left the ship.
This is where the nightmare began, we obviously had low expectations, but we did hope that we would be able to have some decent ventilation, be treated like human beings and be provided with adequate food and something to drink.
But the quarantine hotel is more like a prison camp than a hotel. And again, we are both in the same room with no access to cleaning materials which makes the prospect of me contracting COVID inevitable and then enduring a further period of quarantine while I ‘serve’ my 10 days. Whilst the goody bag of sweets and crisps appeared a nice touch as we left the ship, perhaps basic COVID supplies like paracetamol, a thermometer, cough drops, edible soup, hot drinks, disinfectant spray, wipes and hand soap would have been more useful.
I understand that I don’t speak Spanish and our ‘captures’ speak little English, but we are already being constantly shouted at when we open our doors, which we are only doing to pick up our food left outside or put the trays back out.
We are fit and well, and I must admit we are finding this a bit of an ordeal, but for one elderly couple who left the ship at the same time as us, I genuinely believe their treatment could lead to something far more serious. The couple, both in their late 80s, were left to carry their own belongings and had to walk at speed half the length of the ship. As a group we are trying to look out for them while they are in our hotel, but that is so difficult because they don’t have a Smartphone and therefore haven’t been able to join our WhatsApp ‘support group’.
We were really pleased to hear that the two families with children had been taken to a fantastic hotel where at least they are comfortable in their room and can get some fresh air on a balcony and seem so far at least to have adequate food and drink supplied. Also, with a better approach of having two connecting rooms so that the person with COVID can be isolated from the rest of the family.
We have been in regular contact with P&O’s care team in Southampton to try to at least arrange some edible food and access to hot water so that we can make a cup of tea, doesn’t seem too much to ask. But today we face the very real prospect of Christmas here unless we stage a mass walk out. We wonder what P&O would do then!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Swanseasailor said:
WHEN A LUXURY CRUISE BECOMES YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE
Going on any holiday during COVID was always going to be different and for many the risks associated with travelling during a pandemic are not worth the potential rewards. But the reality for myself and my husband who tested positive for COVID on Tuesday has surpassed our worst nightmares.
Travelling on P&O’s newest ship Iona for their Christmas and New Year cruise 18th December through to 3rd January we were assured that the necessary COVID protocols were in place and felt as loyal P&O customers that they would look after their guests should anything happen.
All passengers aboard, aged over 12 were given an antigen test regardless of symptoms during our 4th day aboard. We were tested deck by deck during the day and went to bed assuming that all was well.
We were woken in the middle of the night with a call from the medical team to say that my husband had tested positive and would need a follow up PCR to confirm, which they were on their way to complete. Once that confirmed his positive COVID status we were given about an hour to pack and were moved to an isolation cabin up on deck 15 in the early hours.
Life aboard in isolation was ok, if a bit frustrating as we were given little or no information about what was going to be happening next, other than that we would be removed from the ship and transferred to an isolation hotel in Tenerife on Thursday. But I do question the logic of both my husband and I being in the same cabin with no access to cleaning materials so that I could at least attempt to stay safe.
We spent the next day that the ship docked in Madeira watching the world go by from our balcony, chatting to the other guests also in quarantine following a positive COVID test and started the process of contacting our insurers. If only this could have been how we spent the rest of the cruise!
We were contacted by the medical team on arrival in Tenerife to say that they would start to transfer us by taxi to our quarantine hotel from 1pm, but still no details on the actual hotel. I think it was the lack of information that was frustrating and worried me the most.
We were told to order an early lunch so that we would be ready to leave at short notice. By the time lunch arrived, although I was concerned that this might be the last decent meal, I was too anxious to eat.
Still no detail on where we were going, but eventually some of the guests were asked to put their luggage outside and one of our fellow quarantiners who had said he wasn’t leaving the ship until he knew where he was being taken was told that the hotel would be the Occidental Santa Cruz Contempraneo – depending on where you room was in the hotel, potentially not too shabby from a quick Google.
Eventually we started to move, with the understandably humiliating accompanying crew in hazmat suits spraying us as we walked. Followed by the rather comical automated ‘Goodbye’ as they scanned our cruise card as we left the ship.
This is where the nightmare began, we obviously had low expectations, but we did hope that we would be able to have some decent ventilation, be treated like human beings and be provided with adequate food and something to drink.
But the quarantine hotel is more like a prison camp than a hotel. And again, we are both in the same room with no access to cleaning materials which makes the prospect of me contracting COVID inevitable and then enduring a further period of quarantine while I ‘serve’ my 10 days. Whilst the goody bag of sweets and crisps appeared a nice touch as we left the ship, perhaps basic COVID supplies like paracetamol, a thermometer, cough drops, edible soup, hot drinks, disinfectant spray, wipes and hand soap would have been more useful.
I understand that I don’t speak Spanish and our ‘captures’ speak little English, but we are already being constantly shouted at when we open our doors, which we are only doing to pick up our food left outside or put the trays back out.
We are fit and well, and I must admit we are finding this a bit of an ordeal, but for one elderly couple who left the ship at the same time as us, I genuinely believe their treatment could lead to something far more serious. The couple, both in their late 80s, were left to carry their own belongings and had to walk at speed half the length of the ship. As a group we are trying to look out for them while they are in our hotel, but that is so difficult because they don’t have a Smartphone and therefore haven’t been able to join our WhatsApp ‘support group’.
We were really pleased to hear that the two families with children had been taken to a fantastic hotel where at least they are comfortable in their room and can get some fresh air on a balcony and seem so far at least to have adequate food and drink supplied. Also, with a better approach of having two connecting rooms so that the person with COVID can be isolated from the rest of the family.
We have been in regular contact with P&O’s care team in Southampton to try to at least arrange some edible food and access to hot water so that we can make a cup of tea, doesn’t seem too much to ask. But today we face the very real prospect of Christmas here unless we stage a mass walk out. We wonder what P&O would do then!

OMG. This sounds just dreadful. I am so sorry to read your post. It is what everyone on erse dreads happening.

I really hope things improve for you.

x

P&O through choice would land a crew member to support those offloaded, or send one of their specially trained customer care response team out from Southampton.

But if the port location won’t let them it’s out of their hands. My understanding is both Spain and Tenerife say no.

So phone calls with very limited information is the best they can do, even if that is amazingly poor.

Even where they can land/send someone, getting information from the local authorities is really difficult. In all cases, P&O staff can’t accompany passengers to the quarantine hotel or visit. 

So @Interestedcruisefan it’s not a won’t, it’s a can’t and because of that they have to accept the bad press.

Regarding @Swanseasailor post, it sounds like P&O are trying but facing the blocks I mention. It seems Spanish policy to quarantine by family group. The family gave a connecting room probably because of the number of them rather than because they’ve intentionally been given a second room to split positive cases from negatives.

This also shows the example of Madeira not insisting on offloading but Tenerife having a different policy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

P&O through choice would land a crew member to support those offloaded, or send one of their specially trained customer care response team out from Southampton.

But if the port location won’t let them it’s out of their hands. My understanding is both Spain and Tenerife say no.

So phone calls with very limited information is the best they can do, even if that is amazingly poor.

Even where they can land/send someone, getting information from the local authorities is really difficult. In all cases, P&O staff can’t accompany passengers to the quarantine hotel or visit. 

So @Interestedcruisefan it’s not a won’t, it’s a can’t and because of that they have to accept the bad press.

Regarding @Swanseasailor post, it sounds like P&O are trying but facing the blocks I mention. It seems Spanish policy to quarantine by family group. The family gave a connecting room probably because of the number of them rather than because they’ve intentionally been given a second room to split positive cases from negatives.

This also shows the example of Madeira not insisting on offloading but Tenerife having a different policy.

All very easy to speak of but for poor Swanseasailor and her companions they are currently in hell at Christmas.  I am a great supporter of P&O but I would at least expect them to negotiate with the Spanish for an English speaking hotel if they are aware of these Spanish dictats.  This, after all, is not the first lot of guests offloaded in Spain and with the greatest of respect they have clearly been here before?

@Megabear2 I totally agree, but I understand P&O being told the hotel name is a step up from previously!

Its all well and good talking about an English speaking hotel, but even the UK government fail this test. When India first went on the red list, arrivals were sent to hotels to quarantine irrelevant of whether they spoke English or not. You might think that their airlines would have negotiated but thats not how this works in a Pandemic. Swanseasailor is really unlucky if they've ended up at a Tenerife hotel with staff that don't speak reasonable English as most do.

I am truly sorry for @Swanseasailor and I hope that their party recover from Covid swiftly and that their journey home is not too bad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

@Megabear2 I totally agree, but I understand P&O being told the hotel name is a step up from previously!

Its all well and good talking about an English speaking hotel, but even the UK government fail this test. When India first went on the red list, arrivals were sent to hotels to quarantine irrelevant of whether they spoke English or not. You might think that their airlines would have negotiated but thats not how this works in a Pandemic. Swanseasailor is really unlucky if they've ended up at a Tenerife hotel with staff that don't speak reasonable English as most do.

I am truly sorry for @Swanseasailor and I hope that their party recover from Covid swiftly and that their journey home is not too bad.

I must say I'm extremely disappointed with that.  I have pursued head office constantly on this issue for months due to travelling to Canaries with an 82 year old aunt in April.  I was assured full support would be available for us.  This doesn't sound like full support be it from Spain, P&O or insurance companies.  Basically if it's not English speaking country and these facts are known the time has come to let passengers know. Sorry.

• Like 1