COVID Testing on Iona

Gettingwarmer

6 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

Followed by a train or taxi to Southampton and car home to South Yorkshire, all in the winter, sounds wonderful   !!!😄

For us, train from Portsmouth to Woking, 45mins. Taxi home. Sorted.

We were tested onboard the other day. Every now and then announcements for x and y to contact reception: which might be folk not turning up to test or they are about to be informed they are positive.

The captain announced under 0.5% positive cases in his particularly quirky manner in his daily announcement..

A few added restrictions onboard from yesterday: gym closed, Spa closed and the theatres back to being socially distanced.

But it is a glorious ship - some fine eateries and good entertainment - and still really feels like a truly proper holiday.

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

20 hours ago, wowzz said:

No, because you are not arriving in France from the UK.

I'm sure that doesn't make any difference at all wowz sadly

It's UK passport holders banned from France right now for anything except essential work - customs work etc

My daughter was due to work there in a ski resort as a private chef and can't get in whilst this is in place. Third year running she was due to work there. And she has a work visa. It's not classed as essential work though

You go on the ski forums and lots have tried to come up with clever ways of getting in to France but its not possible even from different countries

The closest airport to her resort is Geneva in Switzerland

UK passport holders CANNOT enter France via Switzerland as a workaround 

Others had discussed entry from elsewhere but then dismissed it as being possible

Unless you've seen something special that says they can get in via Spain wowz?

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

If the regulations state UK passport holders, you would be correct.

She's hoping it's just temporary

Obviously UK tourists can't get in at same time

Thats 40 per cent of the tourists for some of the French ski resorts

At least we get her to cook Christmas Lunch for us though !

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bon0 said:

My source tells me the captain announced cases were found on Iona following Tuesday’s test.  So surely a good  outcome which stopped it spreading throughout the entire ship.

From a social media site - 

Reports that a batch of people (no number given, but described as many) were offloaded in Tenerife. The are holed up in a quarantine hotel, which sounds a bit grim, and they only have Spanish language TV.

From what I’ve seen, it’s still possible to have a decent cruise holiday if you are lucky enough to board a ship where the Covid free bubble holds.

But if Covid finds it’s way on board, then the risk escalates quickly. Offloading, quarantine on board, ships facilities not available , and crew shortages.

it’s a gamble, the stakes are high as you’ve paid a large sum to board and the possible outcomes are high impact.

it’s up the the individual to choose to take the gamble - but it’s a concern that some cruisers don’t even know they are gambling 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Reports that a batch of people (no number given, but described as many) were offloaded in Tenerife. The are holed up in a quarantine hotel, which sounds a bit grim, and they only have Spanish language TV.

From what I’ve seen, it’s still possible to have a decent cruise holiday if you are lucky enough to board a ship where the Covid free bubble holds.

But if Covid finds it’s way on board, then the risk escalates quickly. Offloading, quarantine on board, ships facilities not available , and crew shortages.

it’s a gamble, the stakes are high as you’ve paid a large sum to board and the possible outcomes are high impact.

it’s up the the individual to choose to take the gamble - but it’s a concern that some cruisers don’t even know they are gambling 

Many folk know the risks and are obviously prepared to take them. Some folk are not prepared to take the risks so don't go. 

22 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Now the big question is:

Do they get balcony rooms at their quarantine hotel?

Being serious for a minute. I think if quarantine hotels were good quality and potentially somewhat enjoyable to stay in with nice food etc  then a lot of fear would be taken away for holidaymakers. 

They invariably are described as grim though. Seem to be cheap and nasty in all the reports. Despite charging a lot!

If anyone is interested and has access to Faceache there is an interesting post on P&Os page about how badly treated they have been by P&O after being disembarked in Tenerife. Puts a different and perhaps a more true action of how P&O act on treating people with Covid whilst on a cruise and not the corporate claptrap that they seem to be expert at putting out on many subjects but their true actions is usually very different. Take a read it is very food for thought for those cruising in the near future what might happen to you.

4 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Now the big question is:

Do they get balcony rooms at their quarantine hotel?

Being serious for a minute. I think if quarantine hotels were good quality and potentially somewhat enjoyable to stay in with nice food etc  then a lot of fear would be taken away for holidaymakers. 

They invariably are described as grim though. Seem to be cheap and nasty in all the reports. Despite charging a lot!

Read P&Os Faceache page on somebody who has been disembarked with Covid in Tenerife a touch of reality.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

This is what concerns me. I am due to fly out from Manchester to join Azura in a couple of weeks. I am triple vaccinated so my risk of catching covid is small, but it is still there. What concerns me most is not catching covid but the consequences thereof. Of possibly being offloaded into a quaranteen facility on an island which does not have direct flights to the UK and then having to arrange flights to Barbados to connect to a UK flight - if I can get one. I am trying to stay possitive but am beginning to wonder if it is worth the hastle.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Are they from Ventura or Iona ?

Iona I believe, I have read the comments that MT is likely referring to, clearly the poster is not a happy bunny but is saying similar things to others that have posted about the hotel being a dump and P&O giving very little information. He wasn't even sure how long he had to isolate and as to whether the 2 days isolating on the ship was included. All reports I have read recently stated that it was 10 days in the hotel regardless of how many days isolating onboard.

1 hour ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

I’ve been lucky enough to stay in some very posh and extremely expensive hotels over the years, but I’d be climbing the walls in any of them after a couple of days. The only place that I could cope with quarantine where I wouldn’t go demented or murder my wife is our own house. Anyone recall ‘The Shining’? 😂 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bobstheboy said:

PO are not covering themselves with glory with the latest Iona news. No numbers, just speculation, no after care when quarantined in questionable hotels. Up your game or loyal customers  will go elsewhere.

All we got onboard Iona from Captain Comedy was under half a %....and an overly cheery spin on it. Although that seems to be his style 😃 He could write jokes for Xmas crackers and they wouldn't sell.

But the mood is very good onboard....ok, the usual moaners dotted around who deserve ignoring, and obviously a few understandably worried in case...but we knew the chances.. But excellent hygiene and safety protocols and a practically proper cruise in almost every other way.

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

If anyone is interested and has access to Faceache there is an interesting post on P&Os page about how badly treated they have been by P&O after being disembarked in Tenerife. Puts a different and perhaps a more true action of how P&O act on treating people with Covid whilst on a cruise and not the corporate claptrap that they seem to be expert at putting out on many subjects but their true actions is usually very different. Take a read it is very food for thought for those cruising in the near future what might happen to you.

If it's so interesting why don't you cut and paste and save us all the time searching facebook?

Hi, could you guide me to the page to read the post as I cannot find it.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2021 at 11:53 PM, wowzz said:

This has been covered in detail over the last few weeks. The decision is made by the port authorities,  not P&O, so if you are unable to fly, you should review your options.

Obviously if you are quarantined in mainland Europe, you would be able to return to the UK relatively easily, without the need to fly.

If you cannot fly, then your insurance company is obliged to arrange land & sea transport. Please note the difference between cannot and will not (disinclination/preference) fly.

On 12/23/2021 at 10:13 AM, Interestedcruisefan said:

My personal opinion is the ships will routinely request to offload every time and then it's in the hands of the port authorities to decide whether they are willing/able to take them or not

This is not the case. In fact P&O would rather mild cases remain on board as its logistically and administratively easier.

On 12/23/2021 at 10:15 AM, Bin man said:

That's strange we were on Iona and went off ship on the 8th November on our own and we're not asked to take any test only temperature test at gangway 

Rules are changing on an almost daily basis.

This person has had their Christmas holiday destroyed so naturally isn't happy but they are not being treated badly by P&O. They are being treated badly by the Tenerife local authorities, who insisted that they be offloaded. It was not a decision taken by P&O. I've heard the suggestion that its because on the number of cases that Tenerife insisted on offloading.

2 hours ago, Denarius said:

This is what concerns me. I am due to fly out from Manchester to join Azura in a couple of weeks. I am triple vaccinated so my risk of catching covid is small, but it is still there. What concerns me most is not catching covid but the consequences thereof. Of possibly being offloaded into a quaranteen facility on an island which does not have direct flights to the UK and then having to arrange flights to Barbados to connect to a UK flight - if I can get one. I am trying to stay possitive but am beginning to wonder if it is worth the hastle.

I believe at present, no Caribbean island served by P&O is requiring offloading and passengers remain onboard until returning to Barbados where they will receive accommodation. I also believe that Barbados requires the cruise company to arrange the flight home.

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

Iona I believe, I have read the comments that MT is likely referring to, clearly the poster is not a happy bunny but is saying similar things to others that have posted about the hotel being a dump and P&O giving very little information. He wasn't even sure how long he had to isolate and as to whether the 2 days isolating on the ship was included. All reports I have read recently stated that it was 10 days in the hotel regardless of how many days isolating onboard.

P&O have no control over the accommodation offered. Compared to a cruise, most Spanish accommodation doesn't come close! It's also not clear how much influence or control P&O have over information etc. Normally when someone is offloaded, P&O offer a contact point for information/arrangements. I'm hearing stories of such efforts being frustrated by local authorities not co-operating with the cruise line.

51 minutes ago, Camberley said:

All we got onboard Iona from Captain Comedy was under half a %....and an overly cheery spin on it. Although that seems to be his style 😃 He could write jokes for Xmas crackers and they wouldn't sell.

Its the Captain's job to set a positive tone on board and not cause panic. That is what he is trying to do. Many passengers aren't interested in Covid and want a break.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Camberley said:

But the mood is very good onboard....ok, the usual moaners dotted around who deserve ignoring, and obviously a few understandably worried in case...but we knew the chances.. But excellent hygiene and safety protocols and a practically proper cruise in almost every other way.

Exactly as we found it the previous week. For me P&O were on top of their game...

82049187_HeadlinersTheatre7ChecksatDoor.thumb.jpg.bcc04bf46fd360bacb9a143e0a1259f3.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

If you cannot fly, then your insurance company is obliged to arrange land & sea transport. Please note the difference between cannot and will not (disinclination/preference) fly.

This is not the case. In fact P&O would rather mild cases remain on board as its logistically and administratively easier.

Rules are changing on an almost daily basis.

This person has had their Christmas holiday destroyed so naturally isn't happy but they are not being treated badly by P&O. They are being treated badly by the Tenerife local authorities, who insisted that they be offloaded. It was not a decision taken by P&O. I've heard the suggestion that its because on the number of cases that Tenerife insisted on offloading.

I believe at present, no Caribbean island served by P&O is requiring offloading and passengers remain onboard until returning to Barbados where they will receive accommodation. I also believe that Barbados requires the cruise company to arrange the flight home.

P&O have no control over the accommodation offered. Compared to a cruise, most Spanish accommodation doesn't come close! It's also not clear how much influence or control P&O have over information etc. Normally when someone is offloaded, P&O offer a contact point for information/arrangements. I'm hearing stories of such efforts being frustrated by local authorities not co-operating with the cruise line.

Its the Captain's job to set a positive tone on board and not cause panic. That is what he is trying to do. Many passengers aren't interested in Covid and want a break.

I'm most impressed by your answers. We obviously share the same DNA and common sense.

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

And on the same site people off loaded from Queen Mary are having similar problems in New York including no food on Christmas Day.