COVID Testing on Iona

Gettingwarmer

17 minutes ago, JudithAnn1 said:

Hi, could you guide me to the page to read the post as I cannot find it.

It is the Iona P&O cruises group which you need to join to read comments, the comments from this particular guy are now deeply entrenched in the thread plus the group has been paused for 2 days.

35 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Its the Captain's job to set a positive tone on board and not cause panic. That is what he is trying to do. Many passengers aren't interested in Covid and

Oh I think we all know the Captain's job....and a fine one it is too. 😀 But littering EVERY announcement with indulgent jokes and the like (I know, humour is subjective etc etc etc....) amid the key points of formality in an occasionally jarring way, gets very tedious very rapidly and loses impact. There is upbeat and there is forced Maplins-esque jollity....some do it well...

Edited by Camberley

17 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

And on the same site people off loaded from Queen Mary are having similar problems in New York including no food on Christmas Day.  

Lets see what they actually get tomorrow....

At least Cunard will let them re-join the ship to sale back on January 3rd.

• Like 1

I have been told by someone onboard Britannia (not prepared to say who but was staff) that the number was 49 taken off in Tenerife.

Regarding quarantine hotels they are government chosen with no input from cruise line, tour operators for land based holidays and insurance companies. If the local authorities choose bad hotels that's it.  I posted about 6 weeks ago on the original COVID on Iona pages details of the Barbados hotels being used by land based tour companies. They are reasonable basic hotels.

There was a fracas at home about people staying in the Sandman hotel at Gatwick. I have stayed there previously both before and after flights and it is more than adequate yet made the headlines as a dump.

What we should expect is basic, clean accommodation with reasonable food.  We cannot expect more than that from a country and  insurance companies I'm afraid.  

If you are unwell on holiday you cannot use private hospitals for insurance purposes so why would we expect anything else for quarantine purposes?  As I've said for months we cruise under the caveat buyer beware, but please remember the same rules would apply if you were on a land based holiday and there was a local break out or lockdown.  Those contracts/insurance policies are exactly the same with exactly the same quarantine rules and hotels.

And in case you're all wondering we are in Grenada having a great time, but currently sheltering from a rainstorm!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Thanks you so much Megabear and Molecrochip for your informed, balanced and sensible reporting of the facts which, for me, counter balances so much of the ill-informed speculation and rumour-mongering which is prevalent on here.  And, Megabear, so pleased that those who are actually cruising are having a fantastic time.  Your thread mirrors many similarly upbeat reports from current cruisers across a wide variety of lines on other boards.  I'm very pleased that so many are having fantastic cruise holidays, despite the inevitable hurdles and inconveniences, notwithstanding all of the nonsense on here from armchair cruisers (many of whom have expressed firm intentions not to cruise under current circumstances) suggesting - in so many words - that the world is about to end.  My wife and I had a similarly excellent time on staycaytions in August and October and your reports make me certain that we will have another fantastic cruise in February, albeit we will embark with eyes wide open about the possible risks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

If you cannot fly, then your insurance company is obliged to arrange land & sea transport. Please note the difference between cannot and will not (disinclination/preference) fly.

This is not the case. In fact P&O would rather mild cases remain on board as its logistically and administratively easier.

Rules are changing on an almost daily basis.

This person has had their Christmas holiday destroyed so naturally isn't happy but they are not being treated badly by P&O. They are being treated badly by the Tenerife local authorities, who insisted that they be offloaded. It was not a decision taken by P&O. I've heard the suggestion that its because on the number of cases that Tenerife insisted on offloading.

I believe at present, no Caribbean island served by P&O is requiring offloading and passengers remain onboard until returning to Barbados where they will receive accommodation. I also believe that Barbados requires the cruise company to arrange the flight home.

P&O have no control over the accommodation offered. Compared to a cruise, most Spanish accommodation doesn't come close! It's also not clear how much influence or control P&O have over information etc. Normally when someone is offloaded, P&O offer a contact point for information/arrangements. I'm hearing stories of such efforts being frustrated by local authorities not co-operating with the cruise line.

Its the Captain's job to set a positive tone on board and not cause panic. That is what he is trying to do. Many passengers aren't interested in Covid and want a break.

Not sure how P and O staff can ascertain which positives will remain mild ?

Should they even be trying to guess that? 

Huge responsibility. 

I get why safest decision has to be offloading even though none of us like that idea 

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

4 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Not sure how P and O staff can ascertain which positives will remain mild ?

Should they even be trying to guess that? 

Thats not what I meant, and I suspect you know that. All the time cases remain mild, treating them onboard is fine. Once a case becomes more severe then the best treatment is on land.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

Its the Captain's job to set a positive tone on board and not cause panic. 

I do not understand this concept that straight information about Covid causes panic on the ship.

I would feel more uncomfortable it I felt that information was been kept from me 

14 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

Thanks you so much Megabear and Molecrochip for your informed, balanced and sensible reporting of the facts which, for me, counter balances so much of the ill-informed speculation and rumour-mongering which is prevalent on here. 

A vacuum exists which should be filled by open and honest communication from P&O. The vacuum is being filled by people passing anecdotal information backwards and forwards 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Thats not what I meant, and I suspect you know that. All the time cases remain mild, treating them onboard is fine. Once a case becomes more severe then the best treatment is on land.

No I do mean what I said molecrochip

Once a cruise sets off its taking a huge risk with anybody they know to be positive on board based on higher than average age of passengers and how fast covid can turn serious

I honestly wouldn't blame the cruise lines for offloading as standard if they were able to 

Safety first etc

5 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I do not understand this concept that straight information about Covid causes panic on the ship.

I would feel more uncomfortable it I felt that information was been kept from me 

Invariably the first thing passengers complain about when there are outbreaks on ships is lack of communication and being kept in the dark by the ship 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cathygh said:

And on the same site people off loaded from Queen Mary are having similar problems in New York including no food on Christmas Day.  

Hmnnnn. As New York is behind us in time it isn't Christmas Day there yet as it isn't here. Fake News rules OK. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Invariably the first thing passengers complain about when there are outbreaks on ships is lack of communication and being kept in the dark by the ship 

I'm going to be harsh but passengers do not have a right to such information. Pandemic or no pandemic. Medical data of a, or all passengers is protected information.

You'd be amazed the number of people who call reception if their ship deviates from course in the middle of the night for a medical evacuation, demanding to know why, the condition of the passenger etc.

This isn't about covering up the situation, its just a case of where do you start. Daily Covid update? What about those who don't want to know?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

Hmnnnn. As New York is behind us in time it isn't Christmas Day there yet as it isn't here. Fake News rules OK. 😂

Not sure that's fair! - is tomorrow's weather forecast fake news?

It would be reasonable to assume that they have been told that their "hotel" will not be supplying food tomorrow.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

I'm going to be harsh but passengers do not have a right to such information. Pandemic or no pandemic. Medical data of a, or all passengers is protected information.

You'd be amazed the number of people who call reception if their ship deviates from course in the middle of the night for a medical evacuation, demanding to know why, the condition of the passenger etc.

This isn't about covering up the situation, its just a case of where do you start. Daily Covid update? What about those who don't want to know?

Not going to buy that regarding Covid

It's not about passengers having a right to know 

It's about transparency

I get it about other stuff above

Lack of transparency and "spin" for want of a better word would be my personal biggest complaint with cruise lines during all of this

I've lost a lot of trust 

Doesn't mean I wouldn't want to cruise again but they've gone down in my estimation during this

I do however accept they've had some pretty impossible challenges to face

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Solent Richard said:

If it's so interesting why don't you cut and paste and save us all the time searching facebook?

Because dont like to cut and paste somebody else's posts on other websites without their permission. Just easier to go on Faceache and read it.

2 hours ago, molecrochip said:

If you cannot fly, then your insurance company is obliged to arrange land & sea transport. Please note the difference between cannot and will not (disinclination/preference) fly.

This is not the case. In fact P&O would rather mild cases remain on board as its logistically and administratively easier.

Rules are changing on an almost daily basis.

This person has had their Christmas holiday destroyed so naturally isn't happy but they are not being treated badly by P&O. They are being treated badly by the Tenerife local authorities, who insisted that they be offloaded. It was not a decision taken by P&O. I've heard the suggestion that its because on the number of cases that Tenerife insisted on offloading.

I believe at present, no Caribbean island served by P&O is requiring offloading and passengers remain onboard until returning to Barbados where they will receive accommodation. I also believe that Barbados requires the cruise company to arrange the flight home.

P&O have no control over the accommodation offered. Compared to a cruise, most Spanish accommodation doesn't come close! It's also not clear how much influence or control P&O have over information etc. Normally when someone is offloaded, P&O offer a contact point for information/arrangements. I'm hearing stories of such efforts being frustrated by local authorities not co-operating with the cruise line.

Its the Captain's job to set a positive tone on board and not cause panic. That is what he is trying to do. Many passengers aren't interested in Covid and want a break.

Thank you for a clear and detailed assessment, which once and for all puts an end to some of the conspiracy theories that have been floating around. 

Why some people continue to nit pick, and continue to find fault with the way P&O is handling the situation is beyond me,  especially as they are not even on a cruise, and don't have one booked !

• Like 3

2 hours ago, molecrochip said:

If that isnt a case of "not me guv" in support I dont know what is. Of course P&O are absolutely fantastic and have great customer service......I do not think so.

Just now, wowzz said:

Thank you for a clear and detailed assessment, which once and for all puts an end to some of the conspiracy theories that have been floating around. 

Why some people continue to nit pick, and continue to find fault with the way P&O is handling the situation is beyond me,  especially as they are not even on a cruise, and don't have one booked !

Its human nature wowzz. The same reason people shoot me down for "defending" P&O, when if you look I've actually been critical in a number of posts. I'll provide what info I can. If people don't like the situation, they can vote with their feet.

• Like 11

Just now, majortom10 said:

If that isnt a case of "not me guv" in support I dont know what is. Of course P&O are absolutely fantastic and have great customer service......I do not think so.

Have you ever tried to deal with Spanish bureaucracy? 

Let me tell you, it is not easy to get a permit to paint your house,  let alone sort out quarantine accommodation. 

2 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I'm not saying P&O don't have short falls but if the local authorities won't provide updates, details of hotels, timescales, testing etc, it makes life very difficult to provide any accurate information. Then what? P&O can phone and ask how are you, but they can't do anything more.

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

What difference does it make if you know the numbers or not. Or are you planning on jumping overboard ?  

It should focus everyone on taking extra care and put pressure on those who show lack of respect for rules to show more respect

Can only help reduce spread 

2 hours ago, Camberley said:

Oh I think we all know the Captain's job....and a fine one it is too. 😀 But littering EVERY announcement with indulgent jokes and the like (I know, humour is subjective etc etc etc....) amid the key points of formality in an occasionally jarring way, gets very tedious very rapidly and loses impact. There is upbeat and there is forced Maplins-esque jollity....some do it well...

He was like that when he was Captain on our cruise on Oriana when he was Captain he was full of himself and when ever there was an announcement by the Captain got to the stage where you would stick your fingers in your ears. Most of his announcements were 5% informative and 95% nonsense.

• Haha 1