Need RT-PCR Test to return to campus

CharmCity2000

We will be on the Mardi Gras until Jan 2.  We will get off the ship and go to MCO and fly home.  On Jan 3, my daughter returns to school.  School requires a negative RT-PCR test.

She can test starting on Dec 28.  So she can test in Cozumel, Costa Maya, Roatan or on the ship if they send the samples to a lab.

Anyone have a suggestion for getting her tested and the results back by Jan 3.  Because they are requiring a lab test, it’s usually 2-3 day turn around.  School will not accept a rapid test.

I just got the email from school.  Wish I had known about this requirement before. 

You can look for a rapid pcr test in Orlando. You’ll have to pay for one but can get results before Monday. This may be your best option. 

Google search comes up with a couple options 

https://centracare.adventhealth.com/urgent-care/covid-19-testing-orlando-international-airport

Edited by sanger727

The airport does PCR testing for $175 with turn around time under an hour.

You can try the Walgreens/CVS, etc. They do PCR tests but the turn around time might be too late.

PCR tests do not take 2-3 days. They take that long because they send them to a lab. If the lab is right there it takes under an hour.

Currently Carnival does not do PCR tests onboard but you could politely ask at Guest Services. Now they do testing but only for B2B and if you have symptoms.

Before you go looking at a foreign country for doing your PCR test, check to make sure that your daughter's school will accept a test from Mexico/Honduras.

Oh and I'm on the same cruise. Super excited 🙂

23 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

The airport does PCR testing for $175 with turn around time under an hour.

You can try the Walgreens/CVS, etc. They do PCR tests but the turn around time might be too late.

PCR tests do not take 2-3 days. They take that long because they send them to a lab. If the lab is right there it takes under an hour.

Currently Carnival does not do PCR tests onboard but you could politely ask at Guest Services. Now they do testing but only for B2B and if you have symptoms.

Before you go looking at a foreign country for doing your PCR test, check to make sure that your daughter's school will accept a test from Mexico/Honduras.

Oh and I'm on the same cruise. Super excited 🙂

Thank you!  I’ll look at the airport testing.  I’m so ready to be on this cruise.  This new testing requirement is just aggravating me even though I realize it’s necessary.

• Like 1

They allow a 5 day window but require PCR? Crazy. You’d think a 1 day window and a rapid would be far more accurate. Orlando has a few options for same day PCR testing, we’re Orlando locals. Most convenient would definitely be the airport, and most others I’ve seen are in that price range elsewhere, and there’s Walgreens and cvs sites down the street from the airport. Would they allow one of the Walgreens NAAT tests that Carnival allows? Florida Walgreens have a bunch of locations and test availability if you book a week in advanced. I’ve had luck with CVS getting my PCR back to me the following day but not sure what it may be like now with this surge and the holiday season. 

• Like 1

Here is a link to Orange County Government Covid Testing Sites: 

https://www.orangecountyfl.net/EmergencySafety/Coronavirus/Testing.aspx

The web page has information on Orange County Health Services (5 sites) and Additional Test Sites (7 links).  The county sites do not require an appointment (first come basis limited to 20 tests/day) but REQUIRE On-line pre-registration.

I'm not sure if the Orange County sites provide tests for all or only residents, but you can call 407-322-8645 and ask.

13 hours ago, SOPHIHEYY said:

They allow a 5 day window but require PCR? Crazy. You’d think a 1 day window and a rapid would be far more accurate. Orlando has a few options for same day PCR testing, we’re Orlando locals. Most convenient would definitely be the airport, and most others I’ve seen are in that price range elsewhere, and there’s Walgreens and cvs sites down the street from the airport. Would they allow one of the Walgreens NAAT tests that Carnival allows? Florida Walgreens have a bunch of locations and test availability if you book a week in advanced. I’ve had luck with CVS getting my PCR back to me the following day but not sure what it may be like now with this surge and the holiday season. 

A NAAT test is a PCR test.