A wonderful time ...

Tahitianbigkahuna

Just returned from French Polynesia. 11 nights aboard the Paul Gauguin and she looked beautiful. 10 out of 11 days we were blessed with great weather. Our 4 private excursions were incredible. I noticed more of the owners of vendor boats were back handling some of the work which was nice. A picture of one of our private excursions  .... the Blue Lagoon on Fakarava.

Blue Lagoon on Fakarava #1- large.jpg

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Like 1

First I would like to thank you for all your excellent advice on Tahiti..

I will be taking my first cruise to Tahiti which includes Fakarava and Rangiroa which both have lagoons as follows in which could you explain any differences and clarify the name confusion:

Fakarava has a lagoon called Blue Lagoon and or Coral Garden which is near Garuae pass located on the north end of the atoll.  Are these the same and is your video of this location?

Rangiroa also has a lagoon called Blue Lagoon and or Green Lagoon located on the west end of the atoll.  Once again, are these the same and since your above description says Fakarava I guess your video is not this Lagon?  

Are these 2 locations comparable and which one would be preferable as I do not want to go to both.  Also on Rangiroa there is drift snorkling at the Tiputa pass and swimming at the aquarium.  If I want to do this I cannot go to the lagoon here.  Any advice on the above would be appreciated.

Rick

4 hours ago, stromer said:

I will be taking my first cruise to Tahiti which includes Fakarava and Rangiroa which both have lagoons as follows in which could you explain any differences and clarify the name confusion:

Fakarava has a lagoon called Blue Lagoon and or Coral Garden which is near Garuae pass located on the north end of the atoll.  Are these the same and is your video of this location?

Rangiroa also has a lagoon called Blue Lagoon and or Green Lagoon located on the west end of the atoll.  Once again, are these the same and since your above description says Fakarava I guess your video is not this Lagon?  

Are these 2 locations comparable and which one would be preferable as I do not want to go to both.  Also on Rangiroa there is drift snorkling at the Tiputa pass and swimming at the aquarium.  If I want to do this I cannot go to the lagoon here.  Any advice on the above would be appreciated.

Rick

We're in same situation (visiting Rangirora and Fakarava in March🤞🤞) and am very interested in your thoughts.  PS we have done Blue Lagoon with Ato Lissant on a previous cruise.

5 hours ago, stromer said:

Rick

The video is of the 'Blue' lagoon on Fakarava. There is also a inner lagoon which is referred to as the 'Green' lagoon which I've attached a picture of. If your on the PG it would be difficult to go to the Blue Lagoon while visiting Rangiroa (yes there is a Blue lagoon on Rangiroa as well) as it is a long trip out to and the ship is only there for 5 1/2 hours. There is also a Green lagoon on Rangiroa but no ship excursion to the place that I know of. We did a private excursion to get there but again we were there a full day on a special itinerary. The snorkeling is very good at the 'Aquarium' on Rangiroa .... the pass is nice but you really should be a good snorkeler. 

DJI_0102-Edit.jpg

1 hour ago, USNA 72 said:

We're in same situation (visiting Rangirora and Fakarava in March🤞🤞) and am very interested in your thoughts.  PS we have done Blue Lagoon with Ato Lissant on a previous cruise.

Not sure what you mean by 'thoughts'. I love them both but of the two Fakarava would be my top choice. If you got a bunch of people together (6 or more) you might talk Ato into a run down to the South pass which is a long trip but Ato had mention to me as another great place for snorkeling ...

I will be on the Windstar Star Breeze and have a tour scheduled to the Fakarava Blue Lagoon with ATO Lissant that lasts 7 hours where the trip to the Blue Lagoon takes 45 minutes.  It looks like the distance from the cruise anchor point is only about 5 or 6 miles away.  To USNA 72 and the original poster:

1. Have you seen where the ships anchor in Fakarava-is it inside the Lagoon or outside and is it near Rotova?

2. Why does it take so long to go 5 or 6 miles - maybe because the ships anchor outside the lagoon?

3. What is there to do for 7 hours  - this tour includes lunch. Are there numerous stops going there and returning?

4, Is there a shorter tour- can't find any.  

5. Did Tahitianbigkahun use the PG excursion or an independent one like ATO and how long was the excursion?

6. On the picture you posted, is the Blue Lagoon the large water area just below the peninsula to the right and what is the little bay just to the left of center? 

7. Is the Green Lagoon picture shown above located at the Fakarava Blue Lagoon?

Thanks for your advice on this, Rick

8 minutes ago, stromer said:

I will be on the Windstar Star Breeze and have a tour scheduled to the Fakarava Blue Lagoon with ATO Lissant that lasts 7 hours where the trip to the Blue Lagoon takes 45 minutes.  It looks like the distance from the cruise anchor point is only about 5 or 6 miles away.  To USNA 72 and the original poster:

1. Have you seen where the ships anchor in Fakarava-is it inside the Lagoon or outside and is it near Rotova?

2. Why does it take so long to go 5 or 6 miles - maybe because the ships anchor outside the lagoon?

3. What is there to do for 7 hours  - this tour includes lunch. Are there numerous stops going there and returning?

4, Is there a shorter tour- can't find any.  

5. Did Tahitianbigkahun use the PG excursion or an independent one like ATO and how long was the excursion?

6. On the picture you posted, is the Blue Lagoon the large water area just below the peninsula to the right and what is the little bay just to the left of center? 

7. Is the Green Lagoon picture shown above located at the Fakarava Blue Lagoon?

Thanks for your advice on this, Rick

1.  Anchorage is inside lagoon at Fakarava (we were on an Oceania ship)

2.  45 minutes to go 5 - 6 miles in a motor launch isn't particularly slow.  That said, we did stop to snorkel on the way over.

We have a shorter stop in Fakarava this March and Ato has organized a 5 hour version of his tour ( for a reduced fee) to accommodate our schedule.

Greg

33 minutes ago, USNA 72 said:

1.  Anchorage is inside lagoon at Fakarava (we were on an Oceania ship)

2.  45 minutes to go 5 - 6 miles in a motor launch isn't particularly slow.  That said, we did stop to snorkel on the way over.

We have a shorter stop in Fakarava this March and Ato has organized a 5 hour version of his tour ( for a reduced fee) to accommodate our schedule.

Greg

To many questions to answer and I talk about this every week on my page and livestream. The Blue Lagoon on Fakarava is 8 - 9 miles from where the ship anchors. Ship anchors inside the lagoon close to the main village. I've taken both ship excursions and Ato  ... typically the ship excursion only goes to the Green lagoon which is pictured. The Blue lagoon and the Green lagoon are two different places but close to each other.

Me and Ato on his boat and part of my group a few weeks ago all enjoying champagne at the Blue Lagoon ... notice Ato is enjoying as well  ... I've taken his excursion many times, one of my favorites. Ato has been my guest twice on my livestream show.

20211211-DSC00374.jpg

Blue Lagoon on Fakarava.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

To many questions to answer and I talk about this every week on my page and livestream.

TBK, I know you don't like to promote yourself, but I can't find your page (except your photography page) or livestream. Can you give me a tip, either by PM or a public post?

9 minutes ago, Zukini said:

TBK, I know you don't like to promote yourself, but I can't find your page (except your photography page) or livestream. Can you give me a tip, either by PM or a public post?

PM?  where?

If you found my photography page just go to the menu and use the contact link

@stromer

I've done the Blue Lagoon tour with Windstar as well as with Ato. WS was only 4 hours with 2 snorkeling sites, the Unesco bird sanctuary and the Blue Lagoon- 4 hours.

There is another provider but they do not do the Blue Lagoon, only deep water snorkeling in Fakarava. They are outstanding. 2 hours. Google O2 Fakarava if interested.

• 1 year later...

We are going on the Windstar Tahiti cruise June 2023 and have signed up for the Coral Garden Drift Snorkel at Tahaa.  I note that it states "strenuous".   We are mid-sixties and occasional snorkelers while on a cruise.  My husband cannot float and always uses a floatation device (belt or vest) while snorkeling.  Is this possible on this snorkel or is it too shallow?  He is concerned so I am wondering if I should cancel.  The pictures and reviews of this snorkel are amazing, and I really hate to miss it, but don't want to be uncomfortable and not enjoy the beauty.  Any recommendations, thoughts???

I think you should go for it, grangerlady. Your husband could inflate his vest to whatever level is comfortable for him. I didn't think this was strenuous at all. I would recommend long sleeve rashguards and water shoes (not fins). I would also suggest you follow-the-leader as much as possible. It's fun.

Thank you Daddioppp for your recommendations.  One final question - do you know if we need to bring our own snorkel vest (will bring mask and fins from the ship) or will the excursion company provide?

Don't want to pack unneccessary stuff!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2023 at 4:02 PM, Daddioppp said:

Hi Piaa, try fakaravaexplorer@hotmail.com for Ato.

Thank you - he responded and we are on a waitlist as we need 4 more to sign up before it is a confirmed tour but I am hopeful