Covid Positive Complete Nightmare - Getaway

cusematt4

2 hours ago, jezabel80 said:

If you are getting tested at the pier,  but don't get prior testing on your own, and test positive at the pier,   are you covered by NCL  peace of mind?  Also,  if you don't test prior to your arrival, and are tested at the pier and are negative,  but then test positive during the cruise, are you covered by NCL peace of mind?

If you don't follow NCL's protocols, and you test positive, then you are on your own.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Lou33 said:

If you don't follow NCL's protocols, and you test positive, then you are on your own.  

Yes,  I understand that.  I guess what I'm questioning, is,  what is NCL's protocols?  It says they recommend testing at home, for cruises before January 31.  It doesn't say you have to.    So if you don't test at home,  and you are positive at the pier, and can't board,   or negative,  and are able to board, and then become positive are you covered with their Sail Safe policy?  (My post  before I mistakenly said Peace of Mind, not Sail Safe). 

13 minutes ago, jezabel80 said:

Yes,  I understand that.  I guess what I'm questioning, is,  what is NCL's protocols?  It says they recommend testing at home, for cruises before January 31.  It doesn't say you have to.    So if you don't test at home,  and you are positive at the pier, and can't board,   or negative,  and are able to board, and then become positive are you covered with their Sail Safe policy?  (My post  before I mistakenly said Peace of Mind, not Sail Safe). 

In order to be covered by NCL insurance you must have proctored test results 2 days before. Otherwise you're on you're own. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, davencl said:

That's a great idea...  I suppose you'd still want to show up at the pier.  Just not check you luggage.   The reason is you wouldn't get reimbursement or help from NCL otherwise.

My sister and I will on the Jan. 14th cruise with you.  I just ordered tests to bring with us, and planned on us testing before we leave the hotel so we know if an antigen test gives us a positive.  We will be getting a PCR test a couple of days before we leave just for added peace of mind.  When I spoke to someone on the phone at NCL they told me that if we have the negative PCR test within 3-4 days before the cruise, but we test positive at the pier, we will get a FCC.  Without the negative test prior, we wouldn't get anything.  It will be interesting to see what happens at the pier on the 14th.

14 minutes ago, tinkr2 said:

In order to be covered by NCL insurance you must have proctored test results 2 days before. Otherwise you're on you're own. 

Incorrect. You are covered by NCL insurance, if you bought it, regardless of pre testing. 

NCL offers to pay anything your insurance doesn’t cover if you have to quarantine. And offers assistance with getting you a quarantine facility. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Incorrect. You are covered by NCL insurance, if you bought it, regardless of pre testing. 

NCL offers to pay anything your insurance doesn’t cover if you have to quarantine. And offers assistance with getting you a quarantine facility. 

Ahhh,   that answers part of my question.   We are driving to the pier, and  have NCL insurance,  and will test before,  but if for some reason we don't get results in time, we will be covered.  I'm not so much worried about positive at the pier,  we can just drive home.  I was more worried about testing positive on the cruise.  

7 hours ago, milolii said:

Let’s stay on topic so we can find out what happened with the OP.  

I think asked but not answered. I wonder where the OP went after departing the port and how did they get there? It seems like you're in no man's land if don't have personal transportation and a place to go. Take a cab/Uber in search of a hotel to isolate for the required time frame? Once I know I have the virus I feel I have a heightened responsibility to take steps to not spread the virus. That a difficult situation if NCL drops me like a hot potato! I have to go somewhere somehow. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

JRK is always right…. And his “experts” know all… But if you check, Lyft and the CDC (who I guess are not experts) says….

“The health and safety of the Lyft community is our top priority. We want to make sure Lyft drivers and riders know the best ways to help protect themselves and others when driving on the Lyft platform.
We recommend following the guidelines issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
  • Don’t ride if you have COVID-19, think you have it, or have related symptoms”

What do you suggest someone do if they're at the port and test positive?  Teleport?  Take a magic carpet?  You have to go somewhere and walking is likely not an option.  I'm going to take transportation and go get a rental car and drive home.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

It seems like the cruise line would secure some type of transportation to contracted hotels if people test positive at the pier.  

But in the case of the OP, the hotel that NCL had contracted for covid positive passengers was SOLD OUT . That is a glitch that the cruise lines are going to need to get fixed. In this case, it appears NCL dropped the ball on several levels 😞

To the OP, please report back your outsome. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

It seems like the cruise line would secure some type of transportation to contracted hotels if people test positive at the pier.  Otherwise, what is a person to do?  Transportation should be part of their process for dealing with positive pier cases.

Exactly! Initially NCL and the others were all over it to get cruisers back. They provided all kinds of support. Like sheep we came back. Now, the OP's experience seems to be the norm. They're certainly skirting their obligations. If the media were to pick up on what happened to the OP (and others) things would change. The industry can not afford bad press right now. Unfortunately that's probably would it will take to cause change. They're on the bubble. I noticed some of the cruise lines, unlike NCL, are offering FCC due to recent policy changes. NCL has always been our favorite line. Right now I'm not liking the look of their underbelly! 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Idaho Breeze said:

Exactly! Initially NCL and the others were all over it to get cruisers back. They provided all kinds of support. Like sheep we came back. Now, the OP's experience seems to be the norm. They're certainly skirting their obligations. If the media were to pick up on what happened to the OP (and others) things would change. The industry can not afford bad press right now. Unfortunately that's probably would it will take to cause change. They're on the bubble. I noticed some of the cruise lines, unlike NCL, are offering FCC due to recent policy changes. NCL has always been our favorite line. Right now I'm not liking the look of their underbelly! 

Do we know that this is the norm?  I have seen one or two reports of people having bad experiences, but there must be people testing positive on every sailing.  People are usually more interested in telling about the bad than the good...

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Idaho Breeze said:

What are you advocating for?  Every positive test gets free hotel and airfare?  Thats a great way to put cruise lines out of business.  Lets say my passport expired and I cant board, should the cruise line also provide free hotel and airfare back home?  Lets say I have the flu before the days of covid and cant board, should the cruise lines provide me free hotel and airfare back home?  This is not new.  When you travel for a trip, you must insure your trip for such mishaps or take your chances.  The new Covid variant is spreading like crazy and you can be negative and catch it on the plane ride to the port.  No one is forcing you to take a cruise.  Therefore you cant force the cruise line to provide free stuff to people who are not eligible to board during a global pandemic.  It sure sounds like a great idea but it has never been the cruise lines responsibility to provide such things.  No one including NCL can guarantee you that you will not become positive before the boarding process.  Therefore they cant be punished for such a happenstance. 

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

Therefore you cant force the cruise line to provide free stuff to people who are not eligible to board during a global pandemic.  It sure sounds like a great idea but it has never been the cruise lines responsibility to provide such things.  This is what insurance is for.  

LOL..............You might want to actually read NCL's policy. 

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/will-i-receive-refund-if-i-test-positive-covid-19-prior-boarding-what-about-other-members-my-p-0

image.png.c572c9e84b586b80ae0c5da7c1bb585a.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Babr said:

Doesn’t that just create a new set of problems? If you are positive at the hotel, then what? 

It still is a problem to test positive, but at least you save yourself the trouble of checking out of your hotel, paying to transport to the pier, checking your luggage, waiting in line to be tested, THEN finding out you are positive only to have to spend 4 hours trying to get your luggage back, and then finding a hotel to quarantine, etc.

Plus you won't have exposed all the people at the pier to Covid.

It would make a bad day even more miserable, in my opinion.

• Like 2

Just now, pcakes122 said:

It still is a problem to test positive, but at least you save yourself the trouble of checking out of your hotel, paying to transport to the pier, checking your luggage, waiting in line to be tested, THEN finding out you are positive only to have to spend 4 hours trying to get your luggage back, and then finding a hotel to quarantine, etc.

Plus you won't have exposed all the people at the pier to Covid.

It would make a bad day even more miserable, in my opinion.

You are correct about that, but you still have to make arrangements for quarantine and onward travel if you did not drive to the port. How do you get NCL assistance if you did not test positive at embarkation?

Be sure to get documentation in the form of a diagnosis confirmation and orders not to travel for insurance or NCL.

17 minutes ago, Babr said:

You are correct about that, but you still have to make arrangements for quarantine and onward travel if you did not drive to the port. How do you get NCL assistance if you did not test positive at embarkation?

Be sure to get documentation in the form of a diagnosis confirmation and orders not to travel for insurance or NCL.

The biggest concern here is what would they class as a positive test and would they honour the refund or future credit.  I have a distinct feeling from what ive read they would be putting barriers up to not pay out but I could be wrong. 

19 minutes ago, Babr said:

How do you get NCL assistance if you did not test positive at embarkation?

I don't think NCL will assist you.  They probably assume that you are testing at home and don't need assistance.

1 minute ago, Lou33 said:

I don't think NCL will assist you.  They probably assume that you are testing at home and don't need assistance.

I think you’re correct. Testing at the hotel before going to the pier doesn’t really solve the problem. It just creates a lot of different ones.

44 minutes ago, Babr said:

I think you’re correct. Testing at the hotel before going to the pier doesn’t really solve the problem. It just creates a lot of different ones.

I don't think that's the case.  At least I'm not seeing how it creates more problems.

You only get NCL assistance at the pier if test positive at embarkation AND you have proof of a NEGATIVE test before traveling to the pier.

That said, if you don't have a negative test but you do test positive in your hotel room, you still get a full cruise credit (you would just have to backup your self-test with an "official" test and submit to NCL.)

I just got back from a cruise about 10 days ago.  I live within driving distance of the pier and I definitely tested before I left my house. I wasn't in the mood for any surprises at the pier.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

I don't think that's the case.  At least I'm not seeing how it creates more problems.

You only get NCL assistance at the pier if test positive at embarkation AND you have proof of a NEGATIVE test before traveling to the pier.

That said, if you don't have a negative test but you do test positive in your hotel room, you still get a full cruise credit (you would just have to backup your self-test with an "official" test and submit to NCL.)

I just got back from a cruise about 10 days ago.  I live within driving distance of the pier and I definitely tested before I left my house. I wasn't in the mood for any surprises at the pier.

If you are driving, you can just go home, collect the necessary documentation, and file a claim.

People who fly to the port face more complications because they can’t return right away. I think it takes two negatives in 24 hours. Otherwise, they have to quarantine. That is where NCL assistance might be useful if insurance did not cover all expenses.

1 hour ago, Twinbooty said:

The biggest concern here is what would they class as a positive test and would they honour the refund or future credit.  I have a distinct feeling from what ive read they would be putting barriers up to not pay out but I could be wrong. 

If you are using a home testing kit from the drug store, that will not be sufficient for NCL or insurance. That is why NCL confirms with a second test before people are denied boarding.

So if someone tests himself in a hotel room and cancels on that basis, it could be a problem. A last minute self-test still requires confirmation from an official test site or a doctor.