Covid Positive Complete Nightmare - Getaway

cusematt4

1 hour ago, Babr said:

So if someone tests himself in a hotel room and cancels on that basis, it could be a problem. A last minute self-test still requires confirmation from an official test site or a doctor.

I still don't understand why you think pre-testing creates bigger problems.  If you do test positive in your hotel room with an antegen self-test (they are not 100% accurate), the assumption is you'd actually want to confirm that with PCR test just for your own health reasons.  You would then submit the PCR results to NCL for your full cruise credit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pcakes122 said:

I still don't understand why you think pre-testing creates bigger problems.  If you do test positive in your hotel room with an antegen self-test (they are not 100% accurate), the assumption is you'd actually want to confirm that with PCR test just for your own health reasons.  You would then submit the PCR results to NCL for your full cruise credit.

Yes, I said earlier to get confirmation and necessary documentation before cancelling. That takes time. The ship will have sailed before you can do that. If the confirming test should somehow be negative, you have no claim.

For those dealing with insurance, they may also have to have a doctor’s orders not to travel depending on the policy, which would mean finding all the necessary resources in a strange city - an urgent care clinic perhaps - and then hope his hotel will accommodate him for the additional days.

It creates a different set of problems. There doesn’t seem to be an easy answer, especially for those flying to the port.

4 hours ago, Babr said:

I think you’re correct. Testing at the hotel before going to the pier doesn’t really solve the problem. It just creates a lot of different ones.

It also adds to the current problem of a shortage of home testing kits.  The home kits should be saved for when they are actually needed.

2 hours ago, Babr said:

There doesn’t seem to be an easy answer, especially for those flying to the port.

There is an easy answer, and NCL found it but then reversed.  Get a negative test within 2 days prior to the cruise.  Provide the proof at port and get on the ship.  Done!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShelleyQT said:

It also adds to the current problem of a shortage of home testing kits.  The home kits should be saved for when they are actually needed.

I'd be thrilled if everyone was considerate enough to test before mingling in the crowds at the pier. As the OP pointed out, waiting until check-in to test resulted in over a dozen Covid positive people potentially & needlessly exposing others.

I'm disappointed to hear about the lack of support from NCL at the pier, but it's understandable considering the circumstances.  If more people were proactive, it would make it easier (and safer) for everyone.

13 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

It seems like the cruise line would secure some type of transportation to contracted hotels if people test positive at the pier.  Otherwise, what is a person to do?  Transportation should be part of their process for dealing with positive pier cases.

According to their website policy, that is exactly what they are supposed to be doing. The point of OP’s post is that their personal experience showed that none of those promises is actually happening right now. It’s unfortunate. Probably so many vaccinated people are testing positive now they are just overwhelmed. With omicron it’s no longer a fraction of a percent. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, ShelleyQT said:

5 hours ago, vpearlkc said:

Who decides when they are actually needed?

@vpearlkc Exactly. You wake up one morning filling ill — you want that test kit on hand. No way to predict when that might happen.

12 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

I'd be thrilled if everyone was considerate enough to test before mingling in the crowds at the pier. As the OP pointed out, waiting until check-in to test resulted in over a dozen Covid positive people potentially & needlessly exposing others.

I'm disappointed to hear about the lack of support from NCL at the pier, but it's understandable considering the circumstances.  If more people were proactive, it would make it easier (and safer) for everyone.

The OP said in their original post that the family tested negative, twice, before arriving at the pier. Seems they were doubly considerate.

Edited by misha227
Typo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, misha227 said:

The OP said in their original post that the family tested negative, twice, before arriving at the pier. Seems they were doubly considerate.

You may have not read the entire thread, so you completely misunderstood my post. I was referring to testing at the hotel immediately before leaving for the pier (or your home if you are driving to the pier as I did.)  And I haven't made any comment at all about the OP other than it was unfortunate what they went through because NCL was overwhelmed and not prepared to support them. 

My entire point was why drive over to the pier to find out you are positive if you can find out yourself before getting in the car.  Many people responded that they didn't believe NCL would support them unless they actually tested positive AT at the pier. But from the OP's experience, it doesn't look like NCL is prepared to provide that support anyway.  Even if you test positive in your hotel room, you STILL get a full cruise credit once you verify the test and submit documentation to NCL -  and you don't have to go through the hassle of trying to get your luggage back, being quarantined at the pier with other positive folks, etc.

That's just my take.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

How do you "verify the test" performed in your hotel room?

Antigen tests are not 100% accurate. If I tested positive on an antigen test, for my own health (never mind NCL reimbursement), I would confirm that with a PCR test (highly accurate.)  And yes, if I tested positive on an antigen self-test I would do it again just as they do at the pier.)

Everyone can do what they want. I just tested at my house before driving to the pier because, as the OP has shared, I knew if I tested positive AT the pier I would be in for a long, dramatic, frustrating and exhausting day.  I just thought I would save myself the trouble.

On 12/24/2021 at 8:31 PM, Babr said:

If you are using a home testing kit from the drug store, that will not be sufficient for NCL or insurance. That is why NCL confirms with a second test before people are denied boarding.

So if someone tests himself in a hotel room and cancels on that basis, it could be a problem. A last minute self-test still requires confirmation from an official test site or a doctor.

But its Xmas day and there is no testing available other than self tests.  And if it did show as positive, it would be morally wrong to go on the plane in order to get a refund.

On 12/23/2021 at 12:25 PM, jezabel80 said:

So until January 31,  you will be tested at the pier.  But they suggest you get your own test prior to arrival at the pier.   I think they will probably extend this. If you are getting tested at the pier,  but don't get prior testing on your own, and test positive at the pier,   are you covered by NCL  peace of mind?  Also,  if you don't test prior to your arrival, and are tested at the pier and are negative,  but then test positive during the cruise, are you covered by NCL peace of mind?   Has anyone had any experience with this.   Thanks for any info

Here's my thing about testing at the pier that I just thought of. We were on the first Ncl that went to Bermuda this year out of Nyc. When we tested at the pier we then waited in a huge holding area with probably about 400of your closest friends. The test results took almost an hour for your clearance. So I'm assuming god knows how many potential people could have passed it on possibly contracted covid. we were never tested again or informed whether anyone on the ship tested positive during the cruise./

• Like 1

Just off the 12-19 sailing of the Breakaway in NO.   Can't speak for the procedures in Miami - but there was no requirement to check your bags prior to your Covid test.   We took the test, got our results, and then checked our bags and completed the boarding process.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ctkathchick said:

Here's my thing about testing at the pier that I just thought of. We were on the first Ncl that went to Bermuda this year out of Nyc. When we tested at the pier we then waited in a huge holding area with probably about 400of your closest friends. The test results took almost an hour for your clearance. So I'm assuming god knows how many potential people could have passed it on possibly contracted covid. we were never tested again or informed whether anyone on the ship tested positive during the cruise./

I was on that sailing as well. Your chances of contracting COVID while awaiting your results were near zero at that point in September. Everyone who entered the testing area had previously provided proof of vaccination and a negative PCR test taken within 96 hours of embarkation. While there were a couple hundred people in there, it was a VERY large space and people were able to spread out. Plus, every single person was required to wear their mask the entire time. You were FAR safer awaiting your test results in that giant room than you were waiting for your flight in the airport on the way to the pier. Of course, that was in the days of Delta. Omicron is a whole different animal. Masking and vaccination may not prove as strong safeguards against Omicron.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

Everyone who entered the testing area had previously provided proof of vaccination and a negative PCR test taken within 96 hours of embarkation.

We embarked Getaway on Dec. 5 in Rome for the TA sailing ending up in Miami Dec. 22.  That's the day OP's group tried to embark in Miami.

For our sailing, we did NOT get PCR test within 96hr.  It was not required.  There were other guests who arrived in Rome or even other parts of Europe for some time before the cruise, and they did not get Covid tested until at embarkation.

We did get antigen test as it was a requirement to fly out of Canada, and also to enter EU, but NCL did not require any test within 96 hours for embarkation.

1 hour ago, Middleager said:

We embarked Getaway on Dec. 5 in Rome for the TA sailing ending up in Miami Dec. 22.  That's the day OP's group tried to embark in Miami.

For our sailing, we did NOT get PCR test within 96hr.  It was not required.  There were other guests who arrived in Rome or even other parts of Europe for some time before the cruise, and they did not get Covid tested until at embarkation.

We did get antigen test as it was a requirement to fly out of Canada, and also to enter EU, but NCL did not require any test within 96 hours for embarkation.

The 96 hour PCR test requirement was specifically for Bermuda. The cruise that the person I quoted was talking about (the one that I was on as well) was out of NYC on 9/26 to Bermuda. So in that specific situation, we were very unlikely to be exposed to and catch COVID.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Middleager said:

We embarked Getaway … in Rome…For our sailing, we did NOT get PCR test within 96hr.  It was not required.

The poster you quoted, @JamieLogical, was referring to a Breakaway cruise to Bermuda. Bermuda required that all cruise pax have a negative PCR test taken within 96 hours of arrival as well as a second negative PCR test taken at the pier, in addition to NCL’s requirement of a negative rapid antigen test, also at the pier. She was explaining why fellow guests waiting in the cruise terminal for the results of their antigen test were in a relatively safe environment, given that everyone had to have been vaxxed and also had to have a negative PCR test just several days before. 

Edited to add: obviously, Jamie types faster 🤣

Edited by Turtles06
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, dawgdawg said:

Just off the 12-19 sailing of the Breakaway in NO.   Can't speak for the procedures in Miami - but there was no requirement to check your bags prior to your Covid test.   We took the test, got our results, and then checked our bags and completed the boarding process.

Not sure how New Orleans pier is set up, but in New York you check your bags before going to the testing area. 

6 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

Not sure how New Orleans pier is set up, but in New York you check your bags before going to the testing area. 

The test site was across the street in a hotel lobby from the pier.    We left our hotel at 8:30 AM, ate breakfast, walked to the testing site, waited/got our results, went back to our hotel, checked out, self parked, dropped off our luggage with the luggage guys, went in and checked in, and then boarded the ship.  No requirement to drop off bags, check in or board the ship prior to receiving our results.

16 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

The 96 hour PCR test requirement was specifically for Bermuda. The cruise that the person I quoted was talking about (the one that I was on as well) was out of NYC on 9/26 to Bermuda. So in that specific situation, we were very unlikely to be exposed to and catch COVID.

Ah ok.  So that sailing required people to get PCR tested within 96 hr.  In Canada we don't have free pcr testing like you guys have in US, so people from Canada will need to consider that added cost if wanting to take a Bermuda cruise.  Our Getaway TA sailing was supposed to go to Bermuda but it was dropped prior to sailing.

1 minute ago, dawgdawg said:

The test site was across the street in a hotel lobby from the pier.    We left our hotel at 8:30 AM, ate breakfast, walked to the testing site, waited/got our results, went back to our hotel, checked out, self parked, dropped off our luggage with the luggage guys, went in and checked in, and then boarded the ship.  No requirement to drop off bags, check in or board the ship prior to receiving our results.

That sounds good.  Much better to not require checking in the luggages before the test.  Avoids the hassle of trying to find and return the luggages for people/group testing positive.

We're going on NO cruise Jan. 9, staying at Springhill Suites.  Slight walk, so we probably will need to take our luggages with us rather than how you did it. 

wow....what a shht show....

As I said in another post, how long do you think NCL is going to take responsibility for arrangements for positive passengers??  They are making changes in the near future that shifts the responsibility more onto the passenger, as it should.  It's not rocket science....NCL is being more than generous by allowing you a FCC if you test positive in the days before your cruise.  Covid tests are FREE pretty much everywhere....why would you not get tested before heading to the pier??  And even so...if you tested negative on Friday and then positive on Sunday (sail day), why should the cruise line be liable for anything more than a FCC and assisting you to quarantine accommodations (unless you purchased the travel insurance...which, at this point, I am glad we have) I'm not understanding why they should have to pay if you contracted covid before you reached the pier.

• Like 1