Anyone on board Odyssey?

Funny, I couldn’t even tell you if there was a TV in the room on any of the cruises we have been on, or what the programming offerings were.  

Too busy enjoying the view of the ocean, which is much better than any Tv program.  Even Ted Lasso.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sms1973 said:

I’m not in the industry, but I doubt much that will change in terms of capacity by that move, most people don’t book on that short of notice… especially during the holidays.

I know my jan 9th sailing had a bunch of people not make final payment beginning of Dec.  Then last weekend a lot more cabins opened up after the mask mandate announcement and prices were really cheap right before they shutdown new bookings for my sailing.  Heard a couple people  grabbed some of these cheap prices before they locked bookings.  

8 hours ago, gracia98 said:

If you were booked on the 12/26 cruise on the Odyssey, would you go? Looking for kind, honest opinions.  FWIW, my family is fully vaccinated and boosted. Not as much worried about getting sick, more concerned about spending a lot of money (since it’s a NYE cruise) and not getting a good cruise experience due to staff shortages.

Thanks.

Honestly, no I wouldn’t.  We were on the Celebrity Edge beginning of October and it was wonderful.  We are scheduled to go on the Navigator in April and will decide on that cruise in March.  We are both in our 50s and received the vaccine and booster.  I would rather wait until the spread slows down. 

8 hours ago, gracia98 said:

If you were booked on the 12/26 cruise on the Odyssey, would you go? Looking for kind, honest opinions.  FWIW, my family is fully vaccinated and boosted. Not as much worried about getting sick, more concerned about spending a lot of money (since it’s a NYE cruise) and not getting a good cruise experience due to staff shortages.

Thanks.

If I were making the decision for next week, I think I’d ask myself if my group was ok with a CocoCay only itinerary with limited show availability. I think that’s the worst case scenario at this point (and sounds like Royal is trying to solve for the show issue). Everything else has been wonderful. I can appreciate how stressful it must be to be hearing this. Please know that most everyone we have encountered on the ship is still managing to have a great time (and if nothing else, a memorable experience). Xx

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Texxie said:

If I were making the decision for next week, I think I’d ask myself if my group was ok with a CocoCay only itinerary with limited show availability. I think that’s the worst case scenario at this point (and sounds like Royal is trying to solve for the show issue). Everything else has been wonderful. I can appreciate how stressful it must be to be hearing this. Please know that most everyone we have encountered on the ship is still managing to have a great time (and if nothing else, a memorable experience). Xx

We decided to cancel and give it another whirl in March.  This is the most we’ve ever spent on a cruise (even more than European cruises in a suite) due to the NYE holiday.  In the end, it came down to that.   We want to enjoy this ship when staffing is more normal, shows are happening, etc.  Also, side note, I was exposed at a doctor’s office on Monday of this week so that’s also a slight worry in the back of my mind. People all around us are testing positive, many without symptoms.  Which just means this Omicron variant is very sneaky, which we all know by now. We will get a combo of a refund to our credit card and FCC back to what we brought to this cruise from other cancelled 2020 cruises. I’m sad in many ways and maybe we are making a bad decision.  We are not frequent cruisers, 1-2 a year, so this was our “BIG” one.  Tough decision for us. We were on a 3 day cruise at the beginning of this month and everything was great with the Covid protocols and we had a great time, but that was before Omicron was a thing in the US.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, gracia98 said:

We decided to cancel and give it another whirl in March.  This is the most we’ve ever spent on a cruise (even more than European cruises in a suite) due to the NYE holiday.  In the end, it came down to that.   We want to enjoy this ship when staffing is more normal, shows are happening, etc.  Also, side note, I was exposed at a doctor’s office on Monday of this week so that’s also a slight worry in the back of my mind. People all around us are testing positive, many without symptoms.  Which just means this Omicron variant is very sneaky, which we all know by now. We will get a combo of a refund to our credit card and FCC back to what we brought to this cruise from other cancelled 2020 cruises. I’m sad in many ways and maybe we are making a bad decision.  We are not frequent cruisers, 1-2 a year, so this was our “BIG” one.  Tough decision for us. We were on a 3 day cruise at the beginning of this month and everything was great with the Covid protocols and we had a great time, but that was before Omicron was a thing in the US.  

You sound disappointed and relieved at the same time. Sounds like the right decision with all the things you mentioned. Peace of mind is worth a lot. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, gracia98 said:

That makes total sense to me and at the price point for this ship at this date you have a right to expect more than they are currently able to deliver. I share your grief as we watch these (now years) go by that we were hoping to spend cruising with our kids. We are trying for a March cruise as well on Adventure. Best wishes for a happy holiday!! 🎄

2 hours ago, gracia98 said:

I'm going to give you a big "Atta girl!" for making this tough decision.

We have been on many many NYE cruises, and they ARE expensive.  I would not want to NOT get my money's worth.  

Enjoy your holidays, however you spend them.

• Like 2

Well, after much debate, we've decided to go for it.  We've got thirteen people in total and if we don't so this, we really have no other attractive option.  I think the worst case scenario is Coco Cay as only stop and no shows.  But it's still 7 days of vacation with a chance to spend time with family that we don't often get to see (nine of us from Mass, four coming from Colorado).  And with kids college age, it's the only time all our schedules connect.

We're looking forward to it, but have reasonably tempered our expectations!

Fingers crossed!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Well, after much debate, we've decided to go for it.  We've got thirteen people in total and if we don't so this, we really have no other attractive option.  I think the worst case scenario is Coco Cay as only stop and no shows.  But it's still 7 days of vacation with a chance to spend time with family that we don't often get to see (nine of us from Mass, four coming from Colorado).  And with kids college age, it's the only time all our schedules connect.

We're looking forward to it, but have reasonably tempered our expectations!

Fingers crossed!

Worst case for me would be testing positive with no symptoms and being quarantined to a deck 3 inside cabin for the remainder of the cruise. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kitkatgrrl said:

Does this help 

16403021461794827975649724219332.jpg

Im not as tech savvy so can you please explain how you do this with your phone. It seems that you didn’t need an HDMI cable? 
we’re booked on Odyssey on the TA in April for 14 days and it would be great if we could stream Netflix from phone or iPad. Thanks and enjoy the ocean.

35 minutes ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

50+ Crew infected at the same time - clearly shows their protocols do not work!

I really hope they're working on getting them boosted quickly fleetwide. Certainly couldn't hurt.  I'm not aware of such large numbers of crew infection on other lines (granted I haven't looked)...I'd also be curious to know if crew on other lines got J&J as well, which is what Royal gave their crew.

51 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Worst case for me would be testing positive with no symptoms and being quarantined to a deck 3 inside cabin for the remainder of the cruise. 

Obviously, but that is definitely a lower probability.  I was thinking worst case of what is more probable.

• Like 1

I think Royal Caribbean should be testing people on embarkation day. Maybe suggest a home test 2 days prior, but then a final test the day of the cruise. Disney Cruise Lines are doing so already and  I think Norwegian just started to do it too.  At least for now, while Omicron is here.

1 hour ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Im not as tech savvy so can you please explain how you do this with your phone. It seems that you didn’t need an HDMI cable? 
we’re booked on Odyssey on the TA in April for 14 days and it would be great if we could stream Netflix from phone or iPad. Thanks and enjoy the ocean.

If you scroll back, there is a post with a picture of the TV screen.  With the ‘streaming services’ option, you are able to emulate your phone on the TV.  It is a wireless connection.  It is a nice option.  You will need their internet package to access your Netflix account.  If you need help with connectivity, ask for help.  You do NOT need to purchase the ‘Cast TV’ app on your phone to make it work.  I was on Odyssey in August and am booked for Jan 2nd and 9th.

• Like 1

Captain announced last night we are up to 60 crew cases plus (allegedly) 3 passengers. And yet here we are taking our time at sea, allowing more cases to spread, instead of getting everyone home and off this ship. I have lost all trust and faith in this cruise line to do the right thing. 

We were so looking forward to our Jan. 2 cruise, sounds like there are so many uncertainty now and I definitely don't want 7 at sea days and minimum shows. Omicron transmit like wild fire. I am from Toronto and Quebec is already imposed 2 weeks lockdown.  Canadian gov't keep telling people do not travel if not necessary. Other cruiser mentioned if positive, they will put you on deck 3 inside cabin. That would be crazy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psumother said:

If you scroll back, there is a post with a picture of the TV screen.  With the ‘streaming services’ option, you are able to emulate your phone on the TV.  It is a wireless connection.  It is a nice option.  You will need their internet package to access your Netflix account.  If you need help with connectivity, ask for help.  You do NOT need to purchase the ‘Cast TV’ app on your phone to make it work.  I was on Odyssey in August and am booked for Jan 2nd and 9th.

thanks…. I hope I can figure it out.  If that’s the main screen when I turn on the TV and don’t need to change the input, then it will be easy.

Well we're going.  We leave tomorrow for FLL from San Diego.  We will be testing this morning with the home test and hoping tomorrow happens.  After about 15 rccl cruises we've never been to Coco Cay so a couple stops there is fine with me.  If we do get nixed from St Thomas and San Juan, I wonder if they would give us a couple MX stops, maybe Cozumel and Costa Maya.  We all know MX doesn't give a rats a#! who goes there 🙂 We actually just got back from a 3 day Baja cruise on Carnival (my 1st) it was cold and cloudy, now its raining cats n dogs here in San Diego and its been cold for the last few weeks, were ready for some Caribbean sun.

For the poster who said the ship is very  claustrophobic,  my friend go on the Carnival Radiance you'll never say those words about an Rccl ship ever again.  And the scary thing was on Carnival, the buffet and all the  condiment stations at like Guys burgers and Shaq's Chicken, all self  serve.   We we're kinda appalled.  

I'll be doing a live Odyssey review, so look out later for my thread.  More of an information and pic thread than an actual review, so if you need any info hopefully I can find the answers

Edited by whitshel
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3