Cunard & P & O now require boosters - will RCI follow?

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

When I got the Moderna booster, I was laid out for about 2 days.  Feverish, chills, body aches and general malaise.  None on my 1st 2 shots.

I recently had the Pfizer booster 6 months after 2 AstraZeneca shots, I missed 2 days of work and then felt fine. They'll have to stagger staff boosters in order to have enough staff who feel well enough to work. Or you know, the cruise lines could just shut down for a month to regroup......

22 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I recently had the Pfizer booster 6 months after 2 AstraZeneca shots, I missed 2 days of work and then felt fine. They'll have to stagger staff boosters in order to have enough staff who feel well enough to work. Or you know, the cruise lines could just shut down for a month to regroup......

It's one of the busiest and most profitable times of the year for cruise lines so a shut down would be one big OUCH.  But they have to think of something -- pronto-- to regain public trust as the much publicized positive cases are getting a bit out of control.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Cunard and P&O just announced they will require CV19 booster shots -- wonder if other cruise lines will follow?

Guess we all be waiting with baited breath for the next CC breaking news flash 

• Like 2

With the 2nd Pfizer shot I had Body Aches, Fatigue, and weakness for 3 months. Because of that I didn’t move much so I got muscle weakness and now I trying to walk again.

But I read on the Fibromyalgia board, a majority of people with Fibromyalgia had the same issue.

So I am not looking forward to a booster shot.

1 minute ago, Blauelini said:

Rccl hasn't even mandated kids 5 to 12 have it yet which I find very odd. 

That might happen in the near future if cases don't start going down.  The protocols need to be tightened and if it requires everyone on the ship to be vaccinated, boosted and tested before boarding then it needs to be done -- anything to get the cases down, IMO.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Maitaivegas said:

I really hope they don’t, the second Pfizer sent me into a 3 month flare up.

I will not be getting the booster unless I see some hard medical proof that people under 65 need it.

Food for thought. The first shot didn’t affect you (at least not that you posted that I’m aware of), but the second was terrible. Maybe the third shot might not affect you either. Another unknown is if/how bad would a flare up be if you were to get covid? Not saying you should or shouldn’t get the third one, but these are questions that occurred to me. They probably occurred to you to, but just thinking out loud. Best of luck whichever way you go.

5 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

That might happen in the near future if cases don't start going down.  The protocols need to be tightened and if it requires everyone on the ship to be vaccinated, boosted and tested before boarding then it needs to be done -- anything to get the cases down, IMO.

They should’ve tightened them sooner. There probably wouldn’t have been as many positive cases on board. Hopefully they will live and learn and the sooner the better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Food for thought. The first shot didn’t affect you (at least not that you posted that I’m aware of), but the second was terrible. Maybe the third shot might not affect you either. Another unknown is if/how bad would a flare up be if you were to get covid? Not saying you should or shouldn’t get the third one, but these are questions that occurred to me. They probably occurred to you to, but just thinking out loud. Best of luck whichever way you go.

They should’ve tightened them sooner. There probably wouldn’t have been as many positive cases on board. Hopefully they will live and learn and the sooner the better.

You can get (and infect other with) Covid if you've had the jab and if you've been boosted....

59 minutes ago, ChutChut said:

You can get (and infect other with) Covid if you've had the jab and if you've been boosted....

Not sure if you are just saying this or if you thought that I didn’t know this. I have never said that someone who is vaccinated can’t spread it and I have known this for a long time.

I have had my booster, but am still taking precautions because I am aware I can still get and spread it. 

Edited by ReneeFLL

13 hours ago, shutterbug63 said:

....... maybe needs to be a change in what the definition of "fully vaccinated" means as far as for public health purposes.

You know that's coming.

Meanwhile a report today says a third shot protects for ONLY TEN weeks.

https://news.yahoo.com/booster-shots-protect-against-symptomatic-134222278.html?soc_src=community&soc_trk=tw

Edited by pspercy
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, pspercy said:

You know that's coming.

https://news.yahoo.com/booster-shots-protect-against-symptomatic-134222278.html?soc_src=community&soc_trk=tw

Not quite what the data indicates in the article, which is that Pfizer maintains efficacy in the 70% range for 10 weeks then drops down into the 40% range.  So it still provides some protection against mild/moderate symptomatic illness after 10 weeks.  Much better at serious illness even after 10 weeks.  

More accurate title would be that protection weakens after 10 weeks.

Certainly more vaccinations will be required.  I expect the norm to become a change in the definition of fully vaccinated to include no more than a certain amount of time since last shot.  One number being used by some countries is 8 months.

15 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Cunard and P&O just announced they will require CV19 booster shots -- wonder if other cruise lines will follow?

Requiring boosters is primarily a PR move not a safety move. Someone who got their second Moderna shot 15 days before the cruise is much lower risk of catching or spreading Covid-19, than someone who got their booster 8 months ago, for instance. But booster 8 months ago is allowed on board, while just finished getting the vaccine 2 weeks ago is not.

Neither P&O or Cunard do that much business out of the US. Before US heavy cruiselines make rules on the matter, I think most will wait to hear what the CDC policies become after January 15, as that should be announced fairly soon. After they know what is going on with the CDC, if they go that route I think a "no more than X number of months since your last shot" is far more likely than a straight booster requirement.

On 12/24/2021 at 10:01 AM, Moltar said:

Israel is now doing 4 shots. Second booster authorized.

It will never end. 4 shots in a 12 month period is crazy! Big Pharma is getting richer and richer. Why would people keep injecting themselves with something that only works for a short time (if it works it all).  You don’t know what long term effects this is going to have on your bodies.

On 12/24/2021 at 11:21 PM, pspercy said:

You know that's coming.

https://news.yahoo.com/booster-shots-protect-against-symizer ptomatic-134222278.html?soc_src=community&soc_trk=tw

Incomplete info in the article. Does not have any data on Moderna followed by Moderna booster, just the other vaccines followed by a booster. And according to the article, there was no falloff after nine weeks with Pfizer followed by Moderna, so the headline could have been "Moderna booster protects for AT LEAST 9 weeks when matched with Pfizer". The vaccines are not all the same, some seem to do a little better, some a little worse, some are a higher dosage to begin with. Any of them are better than none. I'm due for my first booster, I know which one I will choose, but I am lucky enough to have a choice.

On 12/24/2021 at 9:19 AM, livingonthebeach said:

I don't see where they are requiring boosters for all cruises, just the one 28 night one. Their US website for general sailings only requires fully vaccinated, not showing boosters. Am I missing something somewhere? Website lists as updated dec 24, 2021.

6 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

I don't see where they are requiring boosters for all cruises, just the one 28 night one. Their US website for general sailings only requires fully vaccinated, not showing boosters. Am I missing something somewhere? Website lists as updated dec 24, 2021.

You are correct. Right now it's for certain sailings.  Some cruise lines are starting to mention boosters as a recommendation.  CC seems to think boosters will probably become a requirement down the road. 

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=6668

On 12/24/2021 at 9:29 AM, Mapleleafforever said:

Until it's the fourth in a four shot series.....until it's the fifth in a five......you get the gist. 

Yeah.  They already know the booster antibodies significantly wane in older folks after something like 11-12 weeks.  

Keeping antibodies up is the only way to stop infection (spread).  T cell memory is proving to protect either way but it won’t stop infection.  So I’m not sure they will decide the reward is greater than the risks of booster after booster.  These shots do carry risks and they weren’t tested and approved for shot after shot.  

A lot of testing will be needed before this happens unless a lot of vaccinated people start dying.  Then they might weigh the reward as greater than the risks.  And still I imagine that will only be for high risk individuals.  For now, T cells will continue to provide strong protection  from the worst outcomes even if you just had 2 doses.  T cell memory can last a life time.  

• Like 1