sodas when you fly

sharon&family

We usually always drive to the port and carry our cans with us.  We are flying this time and using

transportation to get to the hotel and to the cruise ship.  How do I get my sodas to carry onboard?

Does anyone ever take them on the plane?  Is my only option walking from my hotel to get them?

Is it ok to just stick a couple cans into my luggage for the flight, or will they explode?

Keep in mind the extra weight a 12 pack or two can add to your checked luggage. I would certainly look at the map around your hotel to see if anything is within a short walk. Sometimes you can ask the hotel if its possible to have a food delivery service drop off a few cases before you check-in.

The cargo hold of the aircraft is pressurized like the main cabin.  Canned drinks will not explode.  I always pack within clothes to protect them and also pack them inside a sealed plastic bag.  I have not packed twelve cans in my luggage though.  For a cruise, I would look into buying a twelve pack after my flight arrival.

31 minutes ago, day-day said:

The cargo hold of the aircraft is pressurized like the main cabin.  Canned drinks will not explode.  I always pack within clothes to protect them and also pack them inside a sealed plastic bag.  I have not packed twelve cans in my luggage though.  For a cruise, I would look into buying a twelve pack after my flight arrival.

The cargo hold isn't temperature controlled, not sure if it gets below freezing, but that could cause cans to explode. Though agree they should just pick up their soda after arriving at their embarkation location. 

3 minutes ago, CookieShip said:

The cargo hold isn't temperature controlled, not sure if it gets below freezing, but that could cause cans to explode. Though agree they should just pick up their soda after arriving at their embarkation location. 

That also is not true.  While cooler than the cabin the vast majority of commercial airplanes have temperature controlled cargo holds.

57 minutes ago, CookieShip said:

uh... yeah it is... we have had two dogs flown to us and they flew as "cargo"... it is temperature and pressure controlled

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mpacker said:

uh... yeah it is... we have had two dogs flown to us and they flew as "cargo"... it is temperature and pressure controlled

I stand corrected, looks like they do control the temperature somewhat, I've had luggage come out "very cold" at a warm destination. Looks like animals are placed in different area than luggage, so they can heat those to normalish temps. 

I wouldn’t put canned sodas in my checked baggage.  Years ago, my friend smuggled some liquor and she had to send all her laundry through after arriving on board.   Also, if something leaks, it can seep into the suitcases of others. 

Sometimes  hotels have free shuttle service within a few miles. 

Depending on your transportation they don’t mind stopping at a convenience store if it’s only you in the car.  I’ve asked Uber to do that. 

3 hours ago, CookieShip said:

I stand corrected, looks like they do control the temperature somewhat, I've had luggage come out "very cold" at a warm destination. Looks like animals are placed in different area than luggage, so they can heat those to normalish temps. 

It really depends on the pilot of the plane.
Being an airplane mechanic I know the cargo hold of all planes is pressurized and has the ability to be heated, usually just heated when animals are there, there are reports of animals arriving almost dead or dead because they forgot to put the heat on for them. Usually heat is not used there because it pulls from the thrust of the engines reducing efficiency.

19 hours ago, robc1972 said:

It really depends on the pilot of the plane.
Being an airplane mechanic I know the cargo hold of all planes is pressurized and has the ability to be heated, usually just heated when animals are there, there are reports of animals arriving almost dead or dead because they forgot to put the heat on for them. Usually heat is not used there because it pulls from the thrust of the engines reducing efficiency.

This situation MAY depend on air carrier to air carrier. All I can seak about is how the carrier I worked for did it. I worked on the ramp ( international Concourse E) for the last 20 years (of a 30 year job) with Delta and we ALWAYS knew which zone (bin number) live animals went into. Intl flights out of Atl usually only had one bin that was heated w/oxygen for animals. Besides, the load sheets from the ramp that were hand taken to the flight deck described (in detail) where dangerous cargo/animals were and were required to be signed by Captain or 1st officer. While I hate to speak in broad general terms MOST gate crews LOVE animals and will go out of the way to make sure they have water and are sheltered from the weather. But, as I said this may vary by airline.

Mac

I will add MOST airlines will not let you put sodas 'canned drinks') in checked baggage because IF the bin is unpressurized said canned drinks can 'explode' which my wife found out the hard way when she sent her brother (who was working in the Med) a can of cheese spread in his LARGE box of clothing. He opened 2 weeks later, only to find a ruptured can and everything covered w/cheese spread. YUCK !!

Mac

Which port are you planning on flying into?  There are stores relatively close to most ports that have sodas for sale.  You can pick some up on arrival by having your taxi take you there first or catching a cab or Uber from the hotel unless a store is within walking distance.  you hotel may even have a shuttle that can take you.

13 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

you hotel may even have a shuttle that can take you.

Wise choice and probably the cheapest (IMHO). Ask at the hotel desk about a nearby Walmart/Target or something similar. However, don't be surprised if all you get is a blank stare and a reply 'I don't know, I don't live around here'. In that case maybe the hotel shuttle driver might know and don't forget to slip him a 'small memory reminder' and a smile for his 'favorite 'charity'.

Mac

When I’m booking my hotel I try to find one near a Walmart/Walgreens or other logically priced store. 

We either walk or take an Uber to the store. I was trying to find a hotel that would shuttle us to the store before but service can be inconsistent so you shouldn’t rely on it.

I only go through that trouble when several of us are cruising and the difference in price over buying 5 soda plans on board would be substantial.

We always take an Uber from our hotel to the port and have the Uber driver stop for us. Alternatively you can use Instacart to have them delivered to your hotel, or Walmart grocery delivery.

Even at home, it's been well over 10 years since the wife or I have been inside of a grocery store shopping for groceries.