RCCL Leaving Vancouver and returning to Seattle, Confused and need help please?

mikil321

Hello, Its been a while since we last cruised. At least 10 years! Our daughter purchased myself and wife a Alaska Cruise (Ovation of the Seas) with Royal Carribean for Xmas.  We are both fully vaccinated and just recently got the booster (highly recommend) We understand rules can change by the time we cruise but would like to seek answers right now!  Here is our question and appreciate any help/input here! We embark onto the ship in Vancouver for a 8 day  Alaska cruise and the disembark in Seattle Washington. What testing will we need to embark in Canada (Vancouver) and disembark (in Seattle) in the USA ? After disembarking we are planning to come back immediately to Vancouver via bus,train or ferry (havent decided yet?) What will we also need to get home to Canada? Thanks in advance for anyones help here Mike and Ava

When is your cruise? It's impossible to say what the entry requirements might be 6 months from now. If you look at the  current requirements, you would need an antigen test to board,  and possibly another one to disembark  (since the cruise originated at a port outside the US). Then you would have to get a PCR test after disembarking in order to re enter Canada. And have the ArriveCan app completed.

Or it could be completely different. Who knows. You'll have to wait until a month or 2 before you sail, and monitor the cruiseline website for requirements

• Like 1

@mikil321 As someone else said you could do a round trip Vancouver to Vancouver (if possible with that line). Like everyone else I have no idea what the situation will be when you sail.

One thing you could consider for return to Canada is to take the Victoria Clipper from Seattle and spend a night in Victoria and fly out from here. It's just a thought but Victoria is worth a visit if you're in the area (in my biased opinion 😉)

4 minutes ago, BruisinForACruisin said:

I disagree.

What do you disagree with?

OP, the previous suggestions to change to a different ship is worth investigating. A brief check of the RCCL website shows several of their ships doing Alaska cruises that return to Vancouver. Would solve the problem of getting back to Canada from Seattle.

We are doing a 4 night Alaska Sampler...Vancouver to Seattle.  Rent a car from Seattle and return to Vancouver Airport the next day.  That is what we are doing (and yes I have done this before on the same kind of cruise).  As for testing...we go in May...who the heck knows.  I expect to have to find a place to test in Seattle before coming home.  Thankfully there are some rapid Molecular testing places along the way at Walgreens or CVS (free), or that the cruiseline will do something for us (but not expecting that)

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions much appreciated

Like everyone is saying here its too far away to know 100% whats happening with covid testing by then. After doing some research though and calling Royal Carribean I do know this, to embark on the ship you need proof of being fully vaccinated, and must have a antigen or PCR test 72 hours prior to boarding ship. This is needed to enter the US (alaska for example seeing its an Alaska cruise) As of getting off the ship, you dont need anything because you have already gone into the USA(Alaska) and proved your ok! so disembarking into Seattle is not the problem. Now the problem arrises when we are in Seattle and we NEED to get back to Canada via, airlines,train, car etc.... (as of right now with Canada Border Services) A PCR test needs to be done before crossing the border. These tests are avaliable at an average of $200 to $250 per person US dollars which is like a million Canadian dollars ha ha! You also NEED a arriveCan receipt, paper or electronic upon entry to Canada. Also may I say that even with all the correct documentation you "Can" be randomly selectedly by Canadian Border Services to take place in a quarantine program???

In closing , this trip was a present from our daughter and son in law so yes we will still go on the cruise BUT if we had our way we would have done a Vancouver to Vancouver trip like all said avbove. We just dont want to upset our daughter by cancelling! The cost of all the testing is crazy 2 tests in Canada at about $140 each =$280 Can and two tests in Seattle Washington at $250 each =$500US= about $650 Canadian thats almost $930 for just testing WOW!!!! And on top of that we are staying in seattle over night before flying back to Edmonton. The cost of the hotel about $250 US

All in all the cost of the hotels, Vancouver, Seattle and all the covid testing costs MORE than the cruise itself WOW! You wonder why people are putting off travel

Thanks everyone for your help much appreciated

22 minutes ago, mikil321 said:

Like everyone is saying here its too far away to know 100% whats happening with covid testing by then. After doing some research though and calling Royal Carribean I do know this, to embark on the ship you need proof of being fully vaccinated, and must have a antigen or PCR test 72 hours prior to boarding ship. This is needed to enter the US (alaska for example seeing its an Alaska cruise) As of getting off the ship, you dont need anything because you have already gone into the USA(Alaska) and proved your ok! so disembarking into Seattle is not the problem. Now the problem arrises when we are in Seattle and we NEED to get back to Canada via, airlines,train, car etc.... (as of right now with Canada Border Services) A PCR test needs to be done before crossing the border. These tests are avaliable at an average of $200 to $250 per person US dollars which is like a million Canadian dollars ha ha! You also NEED a arriveCan receipt, paper or electronic upon entry to Canada. Also may I say that even with all the correct documentation you "Can" be randomly selectedly by Canadian Border Services to take place in a quarantine program???

In closing , this trip was a present from our daughter and son in law so yes we will still go on the cruise BUT if we had our way we would have done a Vancouver to Vancouver trip like all said avbove. We just dont want to upset our daughter by cancelling! The cost of all the testing is crazy 2 tests in Canada at about $140 each =$280 Can and two tests in Seattle Washington at $250 each =$500US= about $650 Canadian thats almost $930 for just testing WOW!!!! And on top of that we are staying in seattle over night before flying back to Edmonton. The cost of the hotel about $250 US

All in all the cost of the hotels, Vancouver, Seattle and all the covid testing costs MORE than the cruise itself WOW! You wonder why people are putting off travel

We have the 4 night Vancouver to SEattle cruise on Princess in May...if Canada hasn't changed the rules for coming back across the land border for testing...I don't think we will pay our final payment.  I don't want to have to get off the ship and then find a testing place before we drive home....and I would assume we need to test to get on the ship, which isn't cheap here in Vancouver.   

43 minutes ago, mikil321 said:

A couple of quick comments.

First of all, the antigen test that you require for boarding in Vancouver shouldn't cost you anywhere near the $280 you are quoting. You should be able to find a test site in Edmonton for under $50 per person, or you could look for a site in Vancouver. In Edmonton, MediCentres offer an a Rapid Antigen Test for only $40. https://www.medicentres.com/covidtesting/ 

You could also order a kit from Switch Health and pay only $79 for a 2-person test kit. Even if you order 2 kits, just in case something goes wrong, it will still be almost half the cost you are quoting. https://switchhealth.ca/en/partners/aeroplan/#collectionKits

For your return trip, you do need a PCR test. If you order the Switch Health PCR test kits, at only $149 CAD, that will set you back a total of $298 CAD, nowhere near the $650 you are projecting. But many Canadians have been able to get free PCR testing at Walgreens, and even if you need to take an Uber or rent a car, as most of the Walgreens only have drive-through test facilities, that's a very small price to pay.  https://www.walgreens.com/findcare/covid19/testing?ban=covid_vanity_testing

Between the high-end cost for a rapid PCR test at the airport and the zero cost of a Walgreens, you'll find a variety of testing facilities with varying prices.  Spend a bit of time with Google and you should be able to reduce you test costs significantly.

Good luck, and Happy New Year!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Fouremco said:

at only $149 CAD

It doesn’t hurt so much if you say it real fast.  😂

OP, if it were me, I would be finding out whether your daughter purchased a non-refundable cruise.  Chances are you can cancel and apply the funds to another itinerary which doesn’t include disembarkation in the US.  It is far too cumbersome, and costly, to reliably obtain a fast PCR test prior to re-entering Canada.

Having said that, however, you could Look Here to see what’s available.  But a word of caution on the “free” testing:  More times than not they do not do, or will cancel, travel testing appointments.  You need a solid, paid, backup plan.  Check for disembarkation testing at the port.

Perhaps you could explain the challenges to your daughter and focus on the challenges in obtaining tests and the possibility of having to quarantine. As of right now, if you test positive before you cross the border, the rules are that you can still cross and return to Edmonton to quarantine.  Who knows what those rules will be when you return in May?  

The Serenade of the Seas does a very similar cruise to Alaska, leaving from, and returning to Vancouver, which would be much easier for you logistically. You are likely still within time limits to switch these cruises ar no extra cost. 

if your daughter is thoughtful enough to purchase such a lovely gift for you, I’m betting she would be happy to make it less stressful for you as well!

• Like 2

On 12/31/2021 at 2:51 PM, Fouremco said:

A couple of quick comments.

First of all, the antigen test that you require for boarding in Vancouver shouldn't cost you anywhere near the $280 you are quoting. You should be able to find a test site in Edmonton for under $50 per person, or you could look for a site in Vancouver. In Edmonton, MediCentres offer an a Rapid Antigen Test for only $40. https://www.medicentres.com/covidtesting/ 

You could also order a kit from Switch Health and pay only $79 for a 2-person test kit. Even if you order 2 kits, just in case something goes wrong, it will still be almost half the cost you are quoting. https://switchhealth.ca/en/partners/aeroplan/#collectionKits

For your return trip, you do need a PCR test. If you order the Switch Health PCR test kits, at only $149 CAD, that will set you back a total of $298 CAD, nowhere near the $650 you are projecting. But many Canadians have been able to get free PCR testing at Walgreens, and even if you need to take an Uber or rent a car, as most of the Walgreens only have drive-through test facilities, that's a very small price to pay.  https://www.walgreens.com/findcare/covid19/testing?ban=covid_vanity_testing

Between the high-end cost for a rapid PCR test at the airport and the zero cost of a Walgreens, you'll find a variety of testing facilities with varying prices.  Spend a bit of time with Google and you should be able to reduce you test costs significantly.

Good luck, and Happy New Year!

Thank you Thank you Thank you WOW We much appreciate your knowledgable answers they are very much appreciated. If I could buy you a beer I would ha ha! Yes you are correct about the antigen tests. I looked that one up and I was wrong about costs of antigen tests. I guess you do NOT need a PCR test to get onto the cruiseship according to RCCL representative just a antigen test which is cheaper!  BUT the PCR testing in Seattle is a bit more pricey. I have not contacted CVS pharmacy or Walgreens to see what we can do. It is a little to pre mature seeing the cruise is 5 months away but I will investigate it one month prior to cruising. I am certaing there will be more people in our boat (dont mind the pun) asking the same questions. I am actually shocked RCCL does not have a page on their site explaining "what" is needed at this time to bord their vessels in Vancouver etc.... Anyway Thanks once again very much appreciated Mike and Family Cheers and Happy New Year to you also

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 12/31/2021 at 1:36 PM, stefndoug said:

We have the 4 night Vancouver to SEattle cruise on Princess in May...if Canada hasn't changed the rules for coming back across the land border for testing...I don't think we will pay our final payment.  I don't want to have to get off the ship and then find a testing place before we drive home....and I would assume we need to test to get on the ship, which isn't cheap here in Vancouver.   

Yes  RCCL said you must be fully vaccinated , have a antigen test to get embark onto the ship (Not a PCR test Antigen is cheaper)and to proceed into a US port like Alaska. Now the trickey part, When you disembark the ship in Seattle Washington you WILL have to find somewhere in Seattle that does a PCR test (Not Antigen) . According to Canadian Border Services and the Canadian Government websites as of "right now" (always subject to change) a PCR test will be needed to enter into Canada "regardless" of how you get back Air, Sea or Land! You will also need to fill out the ArriveCan receipt paper or electronic also prior to starting your trip. I know its a pain in the ass but we are staying overnight in Seattle anyway so hopefully we will have enough time to get a PCR test done? Good Luck

Edited by mikil321
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, broberts said:

The one certainty is that citizens and permanent residents will be allowed entry.

Yes Hopefully the end of the pendemic will begin to happen and the world can get on with life Thanks again Cheers

• Like 1

12 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

It doesn’t hurt so much if you say it real fast.  😂

OP, if it were me, I would be finding out whether your daughter purchased a non-refundable cruise.  Chances are you can cancel and apply the funds to another itinerary which doesn’t include disembarkation in the US.  It is far too cumbersome, and costly, to reliably obtain a fast PCR test prior to re-entering Canada.

Having said that, however, you could Look Here to see what’s available.  But a word of caution on the “free” testing:  More times than not they do not do, or will cancel, travel testing appointments.  You need a solid, paid, backup plan.  Check for disembarkation testing at the port.

Will do and much thanks for your help

20 hours ago, mikil321 said:

Yes  RCCL said you must be fully vaccinated , have a antigen test to get embark onto the ship (Not a PCR test Antigen is cheaper)and to proceed into a US port like Alaska. Now the trickey part, When you disembark the ship in Seattle Washington you WILL have to find somewhere in Seattle that does a PCR test (Not Antigen) . According to Canadian Border Services and the Canadian Government websites as of "right now" (always subject to change) a PCR test will be needed to enter into Canada "regardless" of how you get back Air, Sea or Land! You will also need to fill out the ArriveCan receipt paper or electronic also prior to starting your trip. I know its a pain in the ass but we are staying overnight in Seattle anyway so hopefully we will have enough time to get a PCR test done? Good Luck

you don't need a PCR to get back into Canada...a NAAT one will do.  Rapid Molecular will work.  You just cant use a rapid Antigen.  I am Canadian...been using the ARrivecan app many times already.  I am getting good at answering all the questions already LOL

We aren't staying overnight in Seattle, so we would have to find a Rapid ID Now from Walgreens to do first before heading back...thankfully we could stop at the Outlet Disney Store on the way home while we wait for the results...so we do have options, but not sure if it is worth it.

A full list of the types of tests accepted for entry:

Accepted types of molecular tests

• PCR - Polymerase chain reaction
  • Nucleic acid test (NAT) or Nucleic acid amplification test (NAATs)
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP)

These tests use methods such as a nasopharyngeal (NP) swab, nose swab, or saliva sample.

• Rapid antigen tests aren't accepted. X
Other acceptable types of tests
  • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
  • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
  • Isothermal amplification
  • Droplet digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
  • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA)
  • RNA (Ribonucleic acid)
  • Ct (cycle threshold)
  • CRISPR
  • Sequencing
  • Next generational sequencing (NGS) or whole genome sequencing (WGS)
  • Oxford Nanopore sequencing (LamPORE)
  • Detection of the N gene
  • Detection of Orf1a/b
  • Detection of the S gene
  • Detection of the E gene
  • Detection of the RdRp gene
  • Like 2

On 12/26/2021 at 11:52 AM, Fairgarth said:

What a lovely gift!  Umm...now I'm sounding like Scrooge...wouldn't it be a lot easier to take a Royal Caribbean Vancouver to Vancouver?  Is it too late?

The only RCCL round trip from Vancouver are 14 days to Seward return on the Radience.

2 hours ago, stefndoug said:

you don't need a PCR to get back into Canada...a NAAT one will do.  Rapid Molecular will work.  You just cant use a rapid Antigen.  I am Canadian...been using the ARrivecan app many times already.  I am getting good at answering all the questions already LOL

We aren't staying overnight in Seattle, so we would have to find a Rapid ID Now from Walgreens to do first before heading back...thankfully we could stop at the Outlet Disney Store on the way home while we wait for the results...so we do have options, but not sure if it is worth it.

What do you enter as a quarantine plan if you have make a connection.?

9 minutes ago, Kamloops50 said:

The only RCCL round trip from Vancouver are 14 days to Seward return on the Radience.

No, sorry, Serenade of the Seas does Vancouver to Vancouver every Sunday from May through September.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

A full list of the types of tests accepted for entry:

Accepted types of molecular tests

• PCR - Polymerase chain reaction
  • Nucleic acid test (NAT) or Nucleic acid amplification test (NAATs)
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP)

These tests use methods such as a nasopharyngeal (NP) swab, nose swab, or saliva sample.

• Rapid antigen tests aren't accepted. X
Other acceptable types of tests
  • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
  • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
  • Isothermal amplification
  • Droplet digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
  • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA)
  • RNA (Ribonucleic acid)
  • Ct (cycle threshold)
  • CRISPR
  • Sequencing
  • Next generational sequencing (NGS) or whole genome sequencing (WGS)
  • Oxford Nanopore sequencing (LamPORE)
  • Detection of the N gene
  • Detection of Orf1a/b
  • Detection of the S gene
  • Detection of the E gene
  • Detection of the RdRp gene

drives me nuts that the news always says PCR and never mentions the others...which you can easily find for free in most US states...just means a little research.  So far haven't had to pay for any of our rapid tests to get back home to Canada.

• Like 1