Live from the Viking Star World Cruise 2021-22

JM0115

6 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Tugs - With almost daily docking, cruise ships try to avoid hiring tugs, as with thrusters, pods/high-lift rudders they can handle most dockings/undockings unassisted. They will be ordered by the Master, if wind is a concern, or the port is tight, or they can be a compulsary requirement of the Harbourmaster.

Based on you photos, I would say the port requires mandatory tugs. However, they locate and assist at the direction of the local pilot, who issues orders via radio. Tugs can be made fast with a ship or tug line, or stand-by to push. Making fast or pushing is the pilot's decision and both options have pros/cons.

As a Master, unless the tugs have their tires/fenders covered with white canvas, I prefer the tugs to be made fast and avoid pushing on the hull, lest we get the unsightly black marks, which the deck crew must soogee/paint.

If the tug hit the ship, that is indicative of tug Master error, unless the ship required an emergency push. If given an order to push, the tug normally eases alongside, then applies power to push.

The photo showing the tug astern secured with a tug line is a normal arrangement, with the tug just following the ship. If the ship experiences mechanical failure, the tug assists with steering and stopping the ship.

Tug pictured looks fairly new and based on the colours, is part of the Smit (Saam) Towing Group. It is a standard ship docking tractor tug found in many ports. Power is probably 3,000 to 5,000 HP and like many of the company's tugs was probably designed in Canada.

I find your comments interesting and informative - thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you to all who are blogging and posting about your adventure! I am really enjoying reading about your journey.

Question for those cruising - how many days at sea had you been in a row before deciding to do a World Cruise? How do you deal with prescriptions/medications?

• Like 1

Continue to enjoy your posts. Thanks for taking the time. Saw that you will be allowed to wander on your own in Montevideo. Definitely want to go across the street to the Mercado del Puerto. Skip breakfast and head to one of the great grilled meat restaurants inside the Market building for a great and extremely unhealthy lunch. Every kind of meat you can think of all being cooked on giant vertical grills. The smell alone inside is worth the trip!

If you get to the center of town ask a local about the free elevator going to the top of a government building that will give you a great 360 view of the city. On the way back to the ship you can find a good cafe in the park for refreshments. Enjoy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nextariel said:

Thank you to all who are blogging and posting about your adventure! I am really enjoying reading about your journey.

Question for those cruising - how many days at sea had you been in a row before deciding to do a World Cruise? How do you deal with prescriptions/medications?

We had done 21 days in previously. As for an prescriptions, it took the threat of a lawsuit for CVS to finally agree to send me six months of meds. It was really a pain. They had no concept of "I'm on a ship for 152 days".

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Tugs - With almost daily docking, cruise ships try to avoid hiring tugs, as with thrusters, pods/high-lift rudders they can handle most dockings/undockings unassisted. They will be ordered by the Master, if wind is a concern, or the port is tight, or they can be a compulsary requirement of the Harbourmaster.

Based on you photos, I would say the port requires mandatory tugs. However, they locate and assist at the direction of the local pilot, who issues orders via radio. Tugs can be made fast with a ship or tug line, or stand-by to push. Making fast or pushing is the pilot's decision and both options have pros/cons.

As a Master, unless the tugs have their tires/fenders covered with white canvas, I prefer the tugs to be made fast and avoid pushing on the hull, lest we get the unsightly black marks, which the deck crew must soogee/paint.

If the tug hit the ship, that is indicative of tug Master error, unless the ship required an emergency push. If given an order to push, the tug normally eases alongside, then applies power to push.

The photo showing the tug astern secured with a tug line is a normal arrangement, with the tug just following the ship. If the ship experiences mechanical failure, the tug assists with steering and stopping the ship.

Tug pictured looks fairly new and based on the colours, is part of the Smit (Saam) Towing Group. It is a standard ship docking tractor tug found in many ports. Power is probably 3,000 to 5,000 HP and like many of the company's tugs was probably designed in Canada.

Wow, I’m learning so much more about sea travel than I ever imagined I would! Thanks! ❤️

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nextariel said:

We just did a B2B2B which was 54 days for DH being comfortable about our already booked WC.  Our longest before this was 18 days.  When we got off the 54 day cruises, I had to drag DH off kicking and screaming!  I think we are good.

You can fairly easy IME get a vacation override for this from your insurance company.  If they decide to be a pill, a separate prescription paid OOP could be an alternative.  Luckily, all the meds we take are cheap, old generics.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Thank you Andy for your informative post. I have seen tugs on this trip with white canvas but had not thought about that being the reason.  They sure have to do a lot of painting in any case.  I wonder how much white paint they go through a month!

• Like 1

On 2/10/2022 at 10:02 PM, SJD117 said:

I took the Marine Highway ferries from Juneau to Seattle in the summer; Skagway, AK to Bellingham, WA in the winter; and Seattle to Haines, AK in the winter. Each time I set up my tent and "camped" in the boat's top-deck solarium. Great fun!  

It was a great adventure.  We saw moose in some of the local campgrounds that I probably could have walked under they were SO massive.  But no more backpacking for me...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

If they decide to be a pill, a separate prescription paid OOP could be an alternative.  Luckily, all the meds we take are cheap, old generics.

That’s what we did when we lived nomadically for 7 months. We filled two prescriptions which let us be gone for 180 days and then we were back in the states for two weeks and did the same again. 

• Like 1

I love all of the blog posts, but I have to say whenever I read about a tomahawk steak I think of John Candy.  He sat through eating the monster steak in the movie The Great Outdoors.  It was a steak so large that if you could eat it in a specified period of time it was free.  Enjoy the South Atlantic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was just looking at some of the previous Kolb's blog posts and came across an old one....I thought the Star was going to be retrofitted with drawers in the the DV cabin closet..guess not...but great Idea with the hanging cubbies!  When we sail on one of the older ships I will remember this great hint.  Thanks for the the great read and pictures!

Thoughts on the Star. @GKTV32162 is keeping all of you much better informed than I could but I am adding some random information for future WCers. First, the average age on this WC is far higher than on any other Viking cruise I have been on. Probably the average is mid-70’s or so. This leads to mobility issues for some of the guests which leads to slowness on and off the buses during excursions. I’m also surprised that some of the people seem to sleep through the entire excursion which seems to me to be sad. But it is their choice of course. Another thing related to average age is the music played on this ship. The genre is 50s, 60s, and 70s up to around ‘74. Almost nothing late 70s or 80s or beyond. We are going to put in some requests for some early 80s music and see what happens. We love the Viking band and the singers are quite entertaining too. Lastly for now, given the food choices we are offered including Tomahawk steak night last night I don’t know how past and present cruisers keep the pounds off! Oh well, a hardship I have to face 😀.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

It would suit me if they eliminated most of the Piped In music in public spaces.  🍸  Do you really need music to have a conversation, order a drink, have a swim, or read a book???

I was referring to live music. The piped in can go I agree.

• Like 2

I really wish Viking would figure out how to offer "slow" group tours on OCEANS like they do on Rivers.  Also they need to monitor WHO is joining "demanding" excursions.....some people don't realize their bodies are now 80!!!  Our excursions have been significantly altered by some of these folks ....we would be a problem on an excursion with 40year olds!!!  Hoping we will be smart enough to realize our limits as we continue to travel as we age!

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

It would suit me if they eliminated most of the Piped In music in public spaces.  🍸  Do you really need music to have a conversation, order a drink, have a swim, or read a book???

⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️

2 hours ago, JM0115 said:

Another thing related to average age is the music played on this ship. The genre is 50s, 60s, and 70s up to around ‘74. Almost nothing late 70s or 80s or beyond. We are going to put in some requests for some early 80s music and see what happens.

We noticed that, too. Let us know how that goes.

16 hours ago, GKTV32162 said:
World Cruise Day 53/152 - Montevideo, Uruguay - Nothing says Valentine's Day like a good tomahawk to the heart

Our guide two years ago said Montevideo means I see a mountain.  When the first explorer saw the land, he exclaimed "I see a mountain".  Monte = mountain, video = I see.  I recall she also told the story of why there were so many wrecked ships in the harbor.  I do not recall the story but will find it in my notes.  I never finished my blog for Puerto Madryn, Montevideo or Buenas Aires.  Someday perhaps.  You guys are so great writing it in a timely manner.

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

Our guide two years ago said Montevideo means I see a mountain.  When the first explorer saw the land, he exclaimed "I see a mountain".  Monte = mountain, video = I see.  I recall she also told the story of why there were so many wrecked ships in the harbor.  I do not recall the story but will find it in my notes.  I never finished my blog for Puerto Madryn, Montevideo or Buenas Aires.  Someday perhaps.  You guys are so great writing it in a timely manner.

We got the same explanation about where Montevideo came from that is in the blog.  This was from 2 separate guides when we were there in Dec.  

1 hour ago, Mich3554 said:

We got the same explanation about where Montevideo came from that is in the blog.  This was from 2 separate guides when we were there in Dec.  

We also got the “blog” version from our 2 guides in December as well as our guide when we were there on Jupiter’s final 2000 sailing in March.

On a side note, I never imagined visiting Uruguay 5 times in less than 2 years but that is what we did and all were on the Jupiter!

12 minutes ago, sundaycreek said:

We also got the “blog” version from our 2 guides in December as well as our guide when we were there on Jupiter’s final 2000 sailing in March.

On a side note, I never imagined visiting Uruguay 5 times in less than 2 years but that is what we did and all were on the Jupiter!

We did too.  My take home message is that if we are looking for a place to go in winter, it is now on our short list.  That extra time on in this country helped us see more of what makes it appealing.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

We did too.  My take home message is that if we are looking for a place to go in winter, it is now on our short list.  That extra time on in this country helped us see more of what makes it appealing.  

Yes, we agree.  Uruguay was definitely a pleasant surprise.

• Like 2