Live from the Viking Star World Cruise 2021-22

JM0115

Just now, Moonlion said:

What ARE the chirping birds in the bathrooms??? Please tell me it's not some type of piped in mood "thing."

There are birds chirping in the public bathrooms on Viking Ocean ships.  I am not making this up.  I assume it’s to obscure any other sounds.  Ahem.  Yes, piped in.  But not Muzak 😎

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, CoolBeansVA said:

There are birds chirping in the public bathrooms on Viking Ocean ships.  I am not making this up.  I assume it’s to obscure any other sounds.  Ahem.  Yes, piped in.  But not Muzak 😎

OMG... DH and I couldn't figure it out... and never would have guessed.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CoolBeansVA said:

Can we all agree that we love the chirping birds in the bathrooms 🥰

Yes! What a great touch.

I enjoy Viking’s evening live music in the living areas — the guitarists, the pianists, the chamber trios and quartets. Just not the piped-in stuff earlier in the day. I don’t need or want constant noise. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aquadesiac said:

Has anyone else seen Johann's office this morning? He's the General Hotel Manager. Evidently on sea days, the crew has more time to play...

https://roundtheworldwriter.blogspot.com/2022/02/day-37-38-maybe-dh-thinks-ive-lost-day.html

Thanks for your blog. We’re enjoying living vicariously until our TA from PR to BCN in March. We’ll also be following the WC in Egypt & Jordan in April to see how you fare because those ports are in the Passage to India we’ve booked in October—one of the main reasons we’re interested in it.

BTW—maybe your spell check is changing the captain’s name?…it’s Olav not Olaf. I met him in 2019–he was our captain on two cruises. He’s a neighbor in Austria and good friends with my Austrian 3rd cousin and his English wife.

6 hours ago, Aquadesiac said:

Has anyone else seen Johann's office this morning? He's the General Hotel Manager. Evidently on sea days, the crew has more time to play...

https://roundtheworldwriter.blogspot.com/2022/02/day-37-38-maybe-dh-thinks-ive-lost-day.html

So true, the crew have some spare time on sea days. Here is another example from the last WC.

In 2020, after a rather intense "Baggo" match, some of the crew went into cabins stripping the bunks - both pax and crew. A number of pax returned to cabins to find the mattress gone.

Sure shows how well the pax and crew get to know each other on WC's, as that would never happen on a shorter cruise.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

So true, the crew have some spare time on sea days. Here is another example from the last WC.

In 2020, after a rather intense "Baggo" match, some of the crew went into cabins stripping the bunks - both pax and crew. A number of pax returned to cabins to find the mattress gone.

Sure shows how well the pax and crew get to know each other on WC's, as that would never happen on a shorter cruise.

That's hysterical!  I wonder where they put them.

• Like 1

Not really related to today’s redecoration of the GMs office but about halfway between San Juan and Barcelona on our 2019 TA, during the 4/1/19 noontime announcement, the Captain informed the ship that during a standard check, it had been discovered that a leak in the hull had allowed water to enter one of the storage areas.  He assured us that the hull issue had been addressed but that unfortunately most of the ship’s supply of toilet paper had been lost. He requested one person from each cabin to come by guest services to pick up the single roll allocated per person for the remainder of the trip.  

We were in the Theatre waiting for CD Jena to arrive and several of us hollered “April Fool’s”.  She came in laughing saying there were inordinate amounts of folks heading to The Living Room to get their allotment!  And apparently my DMIL was one of them as were these anonymous folks playing cards in the Living Room😂

C546E18B-1BC9-49A9-B219-C8EC83B7719F.jpeg

C44F013E-4712-474A-8E5A-612745690EF4.jpeg

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 2/15/2022 at 3:56 PM, Mich3554 said:

We did too.  My take home message is that if we are looking for a place to go in winter, it is now on our short list.  That extra time on in this country helped us see more of what makes it appealing.  

Visiting Uruguay in 2015 we were considering a get a place in Punta del Este, thankfully because of the long distance to travel we did not go ahead. It would have been an expensive hobby for the last 7 years and not being close I am not sure how comfortable I would have been with renting.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2022 at 12:24 PM, JM0115 said:

Thoughts on the Star. @GKTV32162 is keeping all of you much better informed than I could but I am adding some random information for future WCers. First, the average age on this WC is far higher than on any other Viking cruise I have been on. Probably the average is mid-70’s or so. This leads to mobility issues for some of the guests which leads to slowness on and off the buses during excursions. I’m also surprised that some of the people seem to sleep through the entire excursion which seems to me to be sad. But it is their choice of course. Another thing related to average age is the music played on this ship. The genre is 50s, 60s, and 70s up to around ‘74. Almost nothing late 70s or 80s or beyond. We are going to put in some requests for some early 80s music and see what happens. We love the Viking band and the singers are quite entertaining too. Lastly for now, given the food choices we are offered including Tomahawk steak night last night I don’t know how past and present cruisers keep the pounds off! Oh well, a hardship I have to face 😀.

You are correct about the average age. I have thought that too many people have waited too long to go on this cruise. I too have seen people stay on the bus instead of exploring the sites. As you said, that is their choice. However, I told Linda that if I need a cane or a walker, just leave me at home. I would feel horrible if I were slowing her down or the other passengers. 

Other than being longer, the WC is not much different to any other cruise. Being on the ocean is relaxing, the food is great, and the entertainment has been excellent. I doubt I would want to do back to back WC’s that have the identical itinerary. Seeing different countries and cities and sites is still my main reason for traveling. 

Thanks again Jim for all your efforts on this forum. We would have gone crazy without it. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2022 at 9:55 AM, LindaS272 said:

Thanks for your blog. We’re enjoying living vicariously until our TA from PR to BCN in March. We’ll also be following the WC in Egypt & Jordan in April to see how you fare because those ports are in the Passage to India we’ve booked in October—one of the main reasons we’re interested in it.

BTW—maybe your spell check is changing the captain’s name?…it’s Olav not Olaf. I met him in 2019–he was our captain on two cruises. He’s a neighbor in Austria and good friends with my Austrian 3rd cousin and his English wife.

Thanks, Linda. I'll make that correction. 

On 1/5/2022 at 5:26 PM, sleepybobo said:

I had the same feeling.  I came back from the 12/23 West Indies Explorer.  We just had one port canceled.  The Covid safety protocol is very important.  It's the right thing to do.  But the constant worrying did impact my overall experience.  I'm thinking about canceling our June Alaska cruise if things are not improved by then.  I don't want to sail on another cruise feeling more stressful than carefree.  

We were on the West Indies Explorer as well, but left on 12/13; no ports were canceled and we were able to do excursions every day (5 beach days, which were wonderful). 

We're about to do the Italy, Adriatic & Greece trip in 2 weeks; I'm not going to worry about Covid counts, and we'll have a great time because that's how we roll. Having toured the world as a professional musician, I've spent thousands of hours on tour buses with people who found reasons to complain on any given day. 

The WC sounds incredible... maybe one day...

• Like 1