Is it true that MSC is kicking off Brits on St. Maarten?

Stockjock

There are lots of questions out there, but little information. I don't know what would be significant about COVID positives among British passengers that would require mandatory departure from the ship. What about COVID positives from Americans or others on this cruise?

I don't know if those without an instagram account will be able to see this, but here you go.

Instagram video from the ship.

2 hours ago, no1talks said:

There are lots of questions out there, but little information. I don't know what would be significant about COVID positives among British passengers that would require mandatory departure from the ship. What about COVID positives from Americans or others on this cruise?

I don't know if those without an instagram account will be able to see this, but here you go.

Instagram video from the ship.

Yikes! 
I have a feeling the ship is in danger of hitting that “above the threshold” of Covid positives on board so they’ll off load as many as they can to stay at yellow status. 
According to cdc site if a ship is in red status the ship may not be able to disembark passengers at home port and next voyage(s) would be cancelled. 
I’m surprised St Martin would accept Covid positive people. 
(In the video the man says the lady’s daughter tested positive.)

We have no way of knowing if it’s just Brits that are being taken off the ship. 

Yikes I’m feeling better about my decision to postpone our Jan 8th cruise on Seashore. 

• Like 2

This ship doesn't call at any US ports, so CDC rules do not apply - the home port is St Maarten (with embarkation also at Barbados).

If you test positive for covid-19 or are identified as a close contact (same cabin or family bubble) then you are going to get quarantined in a balcony cabin in a special section/deck and then disembarked at the ships home port where MSC has agreements with the authorities and pre-arranged quarantine facilities.  

I am sure it is painful for those impacted and I can understand they are upset.  However I cannot think of any alternatives.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Stockjock said:

Saw this.  If true, doesn't seem to be too cool...

270057888_10160125274416079_1670222809314806118_n.thumb.jpg.c9078683c7a3f83bf0b6bf369b15198f.jpg

Is this Nick Knowles the TV presenter? Is he on the ship? Surely he has enough connections to get some answers.

53 minutes ago, kernow said:

Is this Nick Knowles the TV presenter? Is he on the ship? Surely he has enough connections to get some answers.

He's not on board but somehow has got involved.  There are still lots of questions to be asked and we are only getting one side of the story.  One thing I did pick up is that the mother (of the child who has tested positive) suffers from an autoimmune disease which leads to the question as to why she would be on a cruise at this present time?  Desperate as I am for a holiday I would be thinking twice about taking a cruise if I had a serious illness

• Like 3

1 hour ago, babs135 said:

He's not on board but somehow has got involved.  There are still lots of questions to be asked and we are only getting one side of the story.  One thing I did pick up is that the mother (of the child who has tested positive) suffers from an autoimmune disease which leads to the question as to why she would be on a cruise at this present time?  Desperate as I am for a holiday I would be thinking twice about taking a cruise if I had a serious illness

On one social media platform it was reported that those involved are friends of NK, no idea it that statement is true or not.

The first thing to say here is that to suggest St Maarten is remote must be challenged.....it is not! At the cruise port there are full facilities for embarking and debarking guests, be they British or otherwise! The island has a fully functioning hospital, excellent hotel facilities across the island, and an international airport with flights to the UK with Air France, KLM and Lufthansa.

And, to suggest the UK Government and British Navy should be stepping in....really 🤣

We sailed this ship from Barcelona to the Caribbean, and stayed on for the first 7 night cruise from St Maarten, debarking a couple of weeks ago. There are clear and extensive COVID-19 protocols onboard, which are well documented and communicated consistently. As well as the requirements to be fully vaccinated and to provide a negative PCR test for embarking, there is a daily temperature check at breakfast and a twice weekly LFT taken by the medical team set up in the Show Theatre Lounge. All very professional.

No-one is allowed to board without proof of travel insurance which includes Medical Emergency and COVID-19 repatriation cover. It is clear this family are being repatriated, which is a crying shame....but to suggest they are being bullied by MSC is beyond laughable! The responsibility for taking care of them, once MSC crew carefully and sensitively debark them from the ship, lies with their insurer.

Do also remember there are 3 sides to every story....'yours', 'theirs' and the truth! 😉

• Like 3

Evacuating aka "kicking off" seriously ill or injured passengers and crew to shoreside hospitals from vessels for more comprehensive care has been routine industry practice.

This was unpopular with first responders placed at risk and overburdened shoreside hospitals in early in 2020 so the US CDC "encouraged" cruise lines to come up with onboard quarantine processes.  

• Like 1