The Daily for Tuesday 12/28/2021

richwmn

53 minutes ago, luvteaching said:

Hello from the cold and snowy Pacific Northwest! Yesterday morning it was zero on the front porch! Today it was a balmy 12F. P1040688.thumb.jpg.3f8a28179b6542f799cf50d087636ac9.jpg

We aren't venturing anywhere. I'm canceling a doctor's appointment tomorrow for DH and did a video visit with our primary care physician today. He told us to stay home and off the roads! It doesn't take much to convince me. Our neighbors lost power Christmas night and aren't slated to get it back until tomorrow late. Our DS with his 4 wheel drive was able to go get them this morning, helped get their pickup out, and brought my walking partner here to have a shower and charge electronics. For us in the country no power means no water. In addition they had two large trees come down on their carport and two of their cars. Here are a couple of pictures. The first is my view looking west. The second is our road looking west. P1040690.thumb.jpg.0312e1928cd10c86dabad34e8b9fc0b4.jpg

P1040691.thumb.jpg.81ea0bb07518d1645b88e00f95d3823a.jpg

I got trained to do DH's infusions yesterday and it's not hard. It's a new skill to add to my list. It means he can be at home instead of hospitalized so that's great! 

Happy Tuesday and may you have power, heat, and all you need. 

Karen

Looks like that here in Bremerton....so glad we have a Subaru Crosstrek with studded snow tires!!!  We're sitting at 28 degrees here - it was 24 when I got up.

• Like 14

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I'd like to know how he plans to prepare those starfish and be palatable!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLSpBEZ4261AEVGZlxoDzhn?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616007583

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJnCqRahG4EqFr73EaG-OgN5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616007587

This reminds me of Survivor!  No matter what type of bug that is I don't want it!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKAauUzLHX83H8oXt-HwbSO5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616015101

If I had to pick something it would be the prawn.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ9FQlQjenkFW3SKZASL3L8V7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616007594

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKAauUzLHX83H8oXt-HwbSOaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616015101

OMG!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI34D2kPnD6JW-I-m3svC7F?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616007594

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJDpQ6bp0xPuIqd1CqDJimbaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616007598

I thought I'd hold off for lunch until back on the ship, just to be safe!  So here we are on the bus almost back, when we see the Diamond Princess with some interesting statuary on the port outskirts.  Yep, Mama and baby zebras.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLwJr3nu0__aJwZVYlmlNkr?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616007637

It appears ROC officials were checking passports.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIZG0XCl8invd5RKuPG_-3A4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616007644

I doubt I'll ever get back there, nor do I need to.  One and done!

I had to scroll quickly past your bug picture with my eyes averted!  😂

• Like 5
  • Haha 11

16 minutes ago, 57redbird said:

Looks like that here in Bremerton....so glad we have a Subaru Crosstrek with studded snow tires!!!  We're sitting at 28 degrees here - it was 24 when I got up.

I have a 4WD vehicle and studded tennis shoes, but think I will stay home til next week except for walking down the hill to the mail box.P1010328.thumb.JPG.8a95e8644aaa6cbc93e5ae3976fbe91e.JPGP1010329.thumb.JPG.25549c9834953bfbb21e19797c170fd6.JPG

• Like 20

39 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

Nice assortment of days. I haven't played cards since my DH passed. We used to play pitch, canasta and pinochle. Of course everyone who played pinochle had different rules. (probably made up their own rules).The meal looks good, I like the drink of the day and the wine sounds very good.

Thanks to everyone who posted photos today. I have never been to Australia and doubt that I will be able to go in the future.

I had lunch with Kakalena today and she was totally exhausted. She told me today that she will not be able to go on the planned Hawaii cruise. Her condo in Scottsdale has sold and she has rented a house in La. that will be near her son. Once she is settled hopefully she will feel a little better.

@rafinmdPlease remove my BIL from your list. Both BIL and SIL have recovered from the Covid.

Jane

Jane

I am so sorry to read that Kakalena will not be able to do the cruise to Hawaii. I can only imagine how disappointed both of you are. 

Ann

• Like 12

Well, I finally have my house back (actually about 2 hours ago).  Nothing sexy,  mostly things I just started living with and decided it was time for some fixing.  Flaky post lamp, rotted wood, kitchen faucet, and replacing both my outdoor faucets and adding a winter shutoff valve. Not an easy day; they had to turn off the water most of the morning and a couple of electrical circuits turned off at various times.  Glad it's done; with my last treatment tomorrow, there's a glimmer of light ahead.  Still not back to normal though as it may take a month or more to get my energy back.  Next week 2 doctors visits, Dentist Monday and Podiatrist Thursday.

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

My gosh!  It was 73F here today which is unseasonably warm.  I'd be happy with 40F everyday as long as we never get snow all winter.  Been there, done that!  My sincere sympathy.🥶

I’ll trade you our temps for ours but fair warning - it’s usually colder here than 40 F and it does snow here.  In fact, it’s snowing well.

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, rafinmd said:

Well, I finally have my house back (actually about 2 hours ago).  Nothing sexy,  mostly things I just started living with and decided it was time for some fixing.  Flaky post lamp, rotted wood, kitchen faucet, and replacing both my outdoor faucets and adding a winter shutoff valve. Not an easy day; they had to turn off the water most of the morning and a couple of electrical circuits turned off at various times.  Glad it's done; with my last treatment tomorrow, there's a glimmer of light ahead.  Still not back to normal though as it may take a month or more to get my energy back.  Next week 2 doctors visits, Dentist Monday and Podiatrist Thursday.

Roy

Roy, I hope you find some way to celebrate your last treatment! And lots of prayers that your energy comes back quickly.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

I'm sure it feels good to have all those items off your list, but having your last treatment tomorrow trumps that!  Take it easy as you gain your strength back.  Congratulations on making it this far.  We never heard a word of complaint out of you!🥳

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, luvteaching said:

Hello from the cold and snowy Pacific Northwest! Yesterday morning it was zero on the front porch! Today it was a balmy 12F. P1040688.thumb.jpg.3f8a28179b6542f799cf50d087636ac9.jpg

All personal feelings regarding weather are relative to where you live and how well you can tolerate the extremes. Yesterday, the local international airport weather centre recorded a record low for that day of -41.6 C, with other outlying areas being forecast to be as low as -55 C.

I certainly agree with your comments regarding living in the country and losing power during a cold spell. Last winter our power was off for over six hours, when the temperature outside was more then -40 C. Of course, at the other end of the scale, are the people in very warm areas who have to suffer through the loss of power during very hot weather.

• Like 13

47 minutes ago, lazey1 said:

Nice assortment of days. I haven't played cards since my DH passed. We used to play pitch, canasta and pinochle. Of course everyone who played pinochle had different rules. (probably made up their own rules).The meal looks good, I like the drink of the day and the wine sounds very good.

Thanks to everyone who posted photos today. I have never been to Australia and doubt that I will be able to go in the future.

I had lunch with Kakalena today and she was totally exhausted. She told me today that she will not be able to go on the planned Hawaii cruise. Her condo in Scottsdale has sold and she has rented a house in La. that will be near her son. Once she is settled hopefully she will feel a little better.

@rafinmdPlease remove my BIL from your list. Both BIL and SIL have recovered from the Covid.

Jane

Jane, I'm sorry Kakalina won't  be able to go on the Hawaii cruise with you.  I know you are both disappointed.  Being closer to her son should give both  of them some peace of mind.  Hope she can relax and regain some strength after the move.

5 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Roy, good news all the work on your house is completed.  Hope you celebrate tomorrow after your final treatment.

Lenda

• Like 11

A late check-in today as we were busy packing this morning to get on the road - we wanted to get through the DC area before any semblance of commuter traffic hit, and it worked.  I was stunned we were able to sustain speeds of 55-60mph on I-66 which runs up through northern VA as well as on the DC Beltway.  Funny thing - my husband is always determined to beat "The Google Machine" which gives us the initial time we should arrive at our destination, and almost every time something screws it up and we run later.  Not today - he beat the initial time by 10 minutes, and pronounced it one of his best Christmas Gifts!

It was a wonderful visit filled with laughs and relaxation, something we all needed. 

I had planned to make a trip down in early February to host a shower for my daughter, but with COVID cases spiking everywhere and her own health paramount, I'm now scheduling a Zoom shower for her.  Already talked to my son-in-law and he agrees - she would be too nervous being so close to so many from out of town.  

Back to work tomorrow, though it will be from my home office.  Will be nice to ease back into work in sweatpants and slippers...

• Like 19

5 minutes ago, msmayor said:

A late check-in today as we were busy packing this morning to get on the road - we wanted to get through the DC area before any semblance of commuter traffic hit, and it worked.  I was stunned we were able to sustain speeds of 55-60mph on I-66 which runs up through northern VA as well as on the DC Beltway. 

You drove right by my house!  You probably didn’t notice me waving.  🙃

• Like 5
  • Haha 10

2 hours ago, luvteaching said:

Hello from the cold and snowy Pacific Northwest! Yesterday morning it was zero on the front porch! Today it was a balmy 12F. 

We aren't venturing anywhere. I'm canceling a doctor's appointment tomorrow for DH and did a video visit with our primary care physician today. He told us to stay home and off the roads! It doesn't take much to convince me. Our neighbors lost power Christmas night and aren't slated to get it back until tomorrow late. Our DS with his 4 wheel drive was able to go get them this morning, helped get their pickup out, and brought my walking partner here to have a shower and charge electronics. For us in the country no power means no water. In addition they had two large trees come down on their carport and two of their cars. Here are a couple of pictures. The first is my view looking west. The second is our road looking west. P1040690.thumb.jpg.0312e1928cd10c86dabad34e8b9fc0b4.jpg

P1040691.thumb.jpg.81ea0bb07518d1645b88e00f95d3823a.jpg

I got trained to do DH's infusions yesterday and it's not hard. It's a new skill to add to my list. It means he can be at home instead of hospitalized so that's great! 

Happy Tuesday and may you have power, heat, and all you need. 

Karen

Beautiful pictures, but no fun to be out in. I'm glad DS could help out the neighbors. Also to let your walking partner get a shower! Did they shut off their water so there's no burst pipes without heat?

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

This is what my drive looked like, yesterday, only it was freezing rain for six hours straight.  Ugh.

Speaking of Water Buffalo… my Cousin took a job in Sydney so they decided to take two weeks to drive down from their home in Darwin.  On Boxing Day their vehicle had an encounter with a Water Buffalo.  Lots of damage but no one hurt.  Not sure about the Water Buffalo.  I imagine it said ouch. 

I'm glad you made it home safely; freezing rain is the worst to drive in! I'm glad no one was hurt in your cousin's collision with the Water Buffalo. I also had to quickly scroll by the bugs (shiver!).

1 hour ago, lazey1 said:

Jane

I'm sorry to hear Kakalena won't be able to do her Hawaii cruise. I do hope she feels somewhat better when settled. I'm glad to hear your BIL and SIL are recovered.

47 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

It sounds like you got a lot of things checked off the list at your house. And a big Congrats on your last treatment tomorrow!

29 minutes ago, msmayor said:

A late check-in today as we were busy packing this morning to get on the road - we wanted to get through the DC area before any semblance of commuter traffic hit, and it worked. Funny thing - my husband is always determined to beat "The Google Machine" which gives us the initial time we should arrive at our destination, and almost every time something screws it up and we run later.  Not today - he beat the initial time by 10 minutes, and pronounced it one of his best Christmas Gifts!

It was a wonderful visit filled with laughs and relaxation, something we all needed. 

I had planned to make a trip down in early February to host a shower for my daughter, but with COVID cases spiking everywhere and her own health paramount, I'm now scheduling a Zoom shower for her.  Already talked to my son-in-law and he agrees - she would be too nervous being so close to so many from out of town.  

Back to work tomorrow, though it will be from my home office.  Will be nice to ease back into work in sweatpants and slippers...

LOL on your DH wanting to beat the estimated arrival time. Unfortunately, it sounds wise to do a Zoom shower, for everyone's safety.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Oh My God.  I literally said that out loud when I read this.  I am so so sorry this happened.  I only hope the attendant passed immediately and wouldn’t have lived if that coward hadn’t run home to Daddy instead of thinking of the well-being of others.

This is what my drive looked like, yesterday, only it was freezing rain for six hours straight.  Ugh.

This is so true!!  I can’t say I have ever had a smoke detector start chirping during the day.  The one at my parents’ house yells at you.  In English and French.  Try waking up to *that* in the middle of the night.  😂

I hate Komodo Dragons.  I made the mistake of watching a nature show on them, not knowing how they killed their prey until one struck a Water Buffalo and then waited for the venom to paralyze it before eating it.  I cried.  Then I turned the channel.

Speaking of Water Buffalo… my Cousin took a job in Sydney so they decided to take two weeks to drive down from their home in Darwin.  On Boxing Day their vehicle had an encounter with a Water Buffalo.  Lots of damage but no one hurt.  Not sure about the Water Buffalo.  I imagine it said ouch.

Thank you, everyone, for your prayers and best wishes, and to Roy for placing my Dad on the rotation.  I feel better just knowing those well wishes are going out into the universe and will be heard.

As you can tell, I made it home safely.  Weather is great and I remembered to turn the alarm off  just before opening the door.  Made that mistake once.  😂  Husband is in NC with his parents so I get a couple of days of relaxation before he gets home.

Does anyone remember when they used to give out playing cards on your flight and you got to keep them?  Vegas also used to give out the old cards from the tables too.  I had completely forgotten about that until this thread.

I have a deck from my first flight on Eastern Airlines. 

• Like 11

I must have had a dozen decks of cards from airlines, also I still have cards from QE2.  DD sold most on eBay - the one that got the best price was a deck of cards from the Queen of the North, a ferry that sank...

A picture of granddog Oskar eating snow - I couldn't download the video, but I guess he had a good time.  Jacqui, @kazu, I did send DS your dog walking chart.

1447804143_ScreenShot2021-12-28at4_45_13PM.thumb.jpeg.726de2c2bbcd205ef3e04d735cc6f2be.jpeg

• Like 19

What a great picture of Dailyites enjoying dinner together and having such a nice time!!  And thanks to all for sharing some of their experiences with those of us "left behind!"

@StLouisCruisers, I was so sorry to read of the tragedy in your area!  Prayers for the guard and his family!

@rafinmdI was happy to read that tomorrow is the last day of your radiation!  When my Dh finished his radiation, he perked up quickly and his energy came back quite well.  Think part of it was just not having to get out and go every single day!  Hope that the it will be similar for you!!

And along with others, @kazuI send continued prayers for both you and your DH.  Take care of yourself so that you are ready for your hospital and home caregiving when the time is right!

We can join several of you in reporting that we have had SNOW.  Thankfully the ski areas are getting their share, but we even had about 3" on the ground locally when I got up this morning.  The HOA driveway, sidewalks clearing was done by about 1 pm.  There should be more off and on during the night, which is most welcome.

COVID just won't go away, and has certainly disrupted many families and their holiday plans.  My niece in Arizona and her middle child both have had it, but seem to be on the mend now.  

Asking for some prayers and good thoughts for my DSIL, who tore his lower bicep on Sunday.  Now the issue is getting an ortho appointment and getting surgery scheduled!  It was a freak accident and it needs to be repaired ASAP.  

My car has been at the dealer since Christmas Eve, but I got it back today.  Needs a $1200 part which is on back order.  When I told them I would be gone till the middle of February, they advised me that the part might not even be here by then.  Love today's cars with all of their electronics!  Thank goodness that I have an extended warranty that means that Ford will pick up most of the repair cost.

Have a great evening for snowy Western Colorado!

Edited by cruzn single
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

A picture of granddog Oskar eating snow - I couldn't download the video, but I guess he had a good time.  Jacqui, @kazu, I did send DS your dog walking chart.

1447804143_ScreenShot2021-12-28at4_45_13PM.thumb.jpeg.726de2c2bbcd205ef3e04d735cc6f2be.jpeg

Great pic, Ann.  So glad you sent you DS the chart.  Marley loves the snow and will happily sit on the snow banks and look in to make sure I am there and watching him.  He is a winter dog for sure.  Imagine my chagrin when my vet said a few years ago even he needs a coat at x temp and can’t take tamps below x.  I follow that chart now like a ninja.  It pretty well matches what she told me.

If Marley was in the alps he would find refuge and dig a hole in the snow against a cliff.  There’s no cliffs here so I now abide by the rules in that graph and once it hits a certain temp, even Marley has a coat on to protect him on the walk.

• Like 17

26 minutes ago, cruzn single said:

What a great picture of Dailyites enjoying dinner together and having such a nice time!!  And thanks to all for sharing some of their experiences with those of us "left behind!"

@StLouisCruisers, I was so sorry to read of the tragedy in your area!  Prayers for the guard and his family!

@rafinmdI was happy to read that tomorrow is the last day of your radiation!  When my Dh finished his radiation, he perked up quickly and his energy came back quite well.  Think part of it was just not having to get out and go every single day!  Hope that the it will be similar for you!!

And along with others, @kazuI send continued prayers for both you and your DH.  Take care of yourself so that you are ready for your hospital and home caregiving when the time is right!

We can join several of you in reporting that we have had SNOW.  Thankfully the ski areas are getting their share, but we even had about 3" on the ground locally when I got up this morning.  The HOA driveway, sidewalks clearing was done by about 1 pm.  There should be more off and on during the night, which is most welcome.

COVID just won't go away, and has certainly disrupted many families and their holiday plans.  My niece in Arizona and her middle child both have had it, but seem to be on the mend now.  

Asking for some prayers and good thoughts for my DSIL, who tore his lower bicep on Sunday.  Now the issue is getting an ortho appointment and getting surgery scheduled!  It was a freak accident and it needs to be repaired ASAP.  

My car has been at the dealer since Christmas Eve, but I got it back today.  Needs a $1200 part which is on back order.  When I told them I would be gone till the middle of February, they advised me that the part might not even be here by then.  Love today's cars with all of their electronics!  Thank goodness that I have an extended warranty that means that Ford will pick up most of the repair cost.

Have a great evening for snowy Western Colorado!

We too are getting more snow. And while it is making travel difficult, most people are thrilled to see it. Moisture is badly needed to offset the drought.

Susan

• Like 13

@StLouisCruisers,Sandi,that is just so awful about the poor man killed by the drunk driver.Prayers for him and his family.

@rafinmd,Roy,I am so happy that your last treatment  is tomorrow. It sounded like a busy day at your house but must feel good to get things done.

@kazu,Jacqui,I hope Marley is doing well tonight and that the tests are negative.Extra prayers for you and Jose.

@richwmn,Rich and company,I loved the picture of the 5 of you at dinner.It looks like a lot of fun .Happy New Year to all.

• Like 11

9 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning all!  I'm thinking of all you do, while I just sit around waiting for things to change...  Pat was a bit late in hanging out the hummingbird feeders this morning, and one landed on it before he could get it on the post.   Now there is a feeding (and mating) frenzy going on.   They keep us entertained all day.   

I love reading (and seeing) your hummingbird stories.  I use the recommended half cup of sugar to two cups of water for my feeders.  Do you use the same recipe or do you have another?

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I love reading (and seeing) your hummingbird stories.  I use the recommended half cup of sugar to two cups of water for my feeders.  Do you use the same recipe or do you have another?

That's what we do but have been reading to keep them from freezing to use a 3:1 ratio.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Suddenly I couldn't post or even log in, very strange..    But yes, we use the same recipe.  They know we are the servants, and they look in the sliding glass door every once in a while to make sure we are paying attention to their needs.  Today wasn't quite as bad as yesterday, we only had to change the feeders around to defrost three or four times.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, richwmn said:

Dinner this evening

Pinnacle_Dinner.thumb.png.eda4564bfae31c92e47b8aa300f8f8ae.png

Good looking group of Dailyites.

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

I just made more hummingbird food today,  I use the same recipe -- 1 part sugar to 4 parts water.  Our hummingbirds in Quartzsite seem to like this recipe. Early on I found they liked it better than the commercial food. 

Speaking of food, our pizzas were a big hit.  We ate half of our pizza, while DD and DSIL only have one piece left.  We'll have to to this again when they are here or even better when both DDs and their guys are here.  It’s a fun and relatively easy dinner, especially with plenty of red wine.  🍷🍷🍷

Lenda

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1