Proverbial hits the fan big time on QM2!

bazzaw

QM2 had completed a Transatlantic to NYC and then is/was on a cruise to the Caribbean ( with Americans who boarded in NYC) - guess what they are now all on their way  to Southampton, direct non-stop, do not pass GO , do not collect $200. Americans will be offloaded somewhere yet to be determined and flown home. 

17 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

QM2 had completed a Transatlantic to NYC and then is/was on a cruise to the Caribbean ( with Americans who boarded in NYC) - guess what they are now all on their way  to Southampton, direct non-stop, do not pass GO , do not collect $200. Americans will be offloaded somewhere yet to be determined and flown home. 

With the huge numbers of covid cases in the UK and USA, this outbreak does not surprise me at all.  A USA Senator wants the CDC to shut down cruising to/from US ports, perhaps that might be a good idea.

Edited by NSWP

20 hours ago, NSWP said:

With the huge numbers of covid cases in the UK and USA, this outbreak does not surprise me at all.  A USA Senator wants the CDC to shut down cruising to/from US ports, perhaps that might be a good idea.

I agree with you Uncle Les. I found this online:

"As of Monday, the CDC said it had 38 ships under investigation due to COVID outbreaks, another 48 already investigated and still under observation, and 3 more in a monitoring status, for a total of 89 -- versus 75 just on Monday." Source

• Like 2

On 12/30/2021 at 8:17 AM, By The Bay said:

I agree with you Uncle Les. I found this online:

"As of Monday, the CDC said it had 38 ships under investigation due to COVID outbreaks, another 48 already investigated and still under observation, and 3 more in a monitoring status, for a total of 89 -- versus 75 just on Monday." Source

Hot off the press, CDC proclaims level 4, 'Avoid Cruise ships.'  Going backwards for cruising in this region.

106708405_COVID-19andCruiseShipTravel-COVID-19VeryHigh-Level4_COVID-19VeryHigh-TravelHealthNotices_TravelersHealth_CDC (1).html

Edited by NSWP

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

Hot off the press, CDC proclaims level 4, 'Avoid Cruise ships.'  Going backwards for cruising in this region.

106708405_COVID-19andCruiseShipTravel-COVID-19VeryHigh-Level4_COVID-19VeryHigh-TravelHealthNotices_TravelersHealth_CDC (1).htmlUnavailable

I am willing to bet that Cunard knew that this was coming. 

2 hours ago, ekka49 said:

Then we might not see them again. 😱

I think that the CDC has now rung the death knell of the Industry - I am really surprised that their finances have lasted for this long. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, bazzaw said:

I think that the CDC has now rung the death knell of the Industry - I am really surprised that their finances have lasted for this long. 

Carnival Corporation has plenty of $$$$.

14 hours ago, Cruisers47 said:

Please be positive!

life is no good if we have nothing to look forward to!!

eileen

We can look forward to land travel.  We are lucky we live in such a big country with so many beautiful places to explore.  I gave both my daughters Aust adventure travel magazines for Christmas.  

We will be able to cruise again once the pandemic is under control.  I'm dreaming on going on a local Australian cruise (very expensive)!  It is great that small ships can continue to cruise in Australia. Pity solo cruising is so expensive.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/1/2022 at 5:35 AM, portcbob said:

I believe these problems in The States and elsewhere re Covid on ships and particularly what the CDC are now stating will even put back restarting in Australia further. Just can't see it happening this year.

Oh well. My cruise I booked for November 2022 will either be the first ship sailing this year or need to be credited back to the kitty.  No loss just future cruise credits and credits from the last cancellation.

On 1/2/2022 at 6:36 AM, MMDown Under said:

We can look forward to land travel.  We are lucky we live in such a big country with so many beautiful places to explore.  I gave both my daughters Aust adventure travel magazines for Christmas.  

We will be able to cruise again once the pandemic is under control.  I'm dreaming on going on a local Australian cruise (very expensive)!  It is great that small ships can continue to cruise in Australia. Pity solo cruising is so expensive.  

With only a few solo cabins available, it is extremely hard to book them. Plus all Coral Expeditions ships are just about booked solid for all of this year and a good deal of 2023. That surely shows the desire for being on ships is alive and well? Solo supplement is expensive, but so worth it!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Port Power said:

With only a few solo cabins available, it is extremely hard to book them. Plus all Coral Expeditions ships are just about booked solid for all of this year and a good deal of 2023. That surely shows the desire for being on ships is alive and well? Solo supplement is expensive, but so worth it!

$2000 a day for a solo, minimum. OUCH, out of my league.😭

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Port Power said:

I book when I see no single supplement!