Rough percentage of English speaking guests on Seashore Caribbean cruise out of Miami?

Encore37

Could someone please tell me the rough percentage of English speaking guests on Seashore Caribbean cruise?  I'm thinking of booking a solo cruise on the Seashore out of Miami in March and really don't want to be on a ship where 90% of the passengers don't speak English.  I wouldn't mind if I were going with a group of people but I'm solo and really want to meet and chat with new people.

Edited by Encore37

1 minute ago, slei15 said:

In current times with all of the travel restrictions across the globe, you are likely to find 75+% english speaking out of FL.  Our Meraviglia cruise last week was probably in the 85-90% range....

Thanks, I appreciate the reply!

With all due respect, I believe those you hear speaking another language are actually Americans living in So. Fla. who prefer to not speak English when with friends and relatives.

Can you check with guest services to see how many actual non-u.s. passports are onboard.

I can't imagine 2/3 of the ship not u.s. Hope you can prove me wrong. In November there were very few international guests. Precovid the ships were around 50% international.

10 hours ago, travelwide said:

With all due respect, I believe those you hear speaking another language are actually Americans living in So. Fla. who prefer to not speak English when with friends and relatives.

Can you check with guest services to see how many actual non-u.s. passports are onboard.

I can't imagine 2/3 of the ship not u.s. Hope you can prove me wrong. In November there were very few international guests. Precovid the ships were around 50% international.

MSC wasn't allowing international passengers until mid-November IIRC.  Thus the reason November numbers were lower.  We sailed 12/11 and while I would say most passengers were English speaking, US residents were definitely a minority.  

We've been on 2 MSC cruises pre-COVID with many Europeans but there was no shortage of people who can speak English. We chatted with lots of different people, both American and European and had a wonderful time. I wouldn't worry at all about that.

Edited by karmamule
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

LOL - Brush up on your Spanish. Your problem may be finding an understandable English speaker in Miami.

Along with Fort Lauderdale, Pompano, & headed north...

Russian is helpful as is Portuguese...the employees of MANY BUSINESSES HERE wont speak english tho they understand a little...they are also amazed that Americans speak & comprehend other languages than English.

6 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Non-English speaking or those who can speak English but it is not their typically spoken language are rather low at this time because of travel restrictions. Pre-COVID, I would say the majority of passengers spoke a language other than English. 

The U.S. has lifted the 18- month travel ban on non-essential visitors November 8th, 2021, by allowing in fully vaccinated tourists from Canada, Mexico, United Kingdom and most of Europe.

I disembarked today from Seashore (12-night B2B) and noticed passengers from UK, Germany, Switzerland, Eastern Europe, Canada and America.

In my youth our home was a host home to over 30 foreign exchange students, I myself traveled as an exchange student to Brazil. You will always find a english speaking (even if it was a second language) on the ship. Our last cruise we became friends with Finnish, Dutch and French countrymen/women. Still in contact to this day...

Edited by mmbcater

19 hours ago, travelwide said:

Yes, and for those that don't know what the official language of Miami Dade county is.... Wait for it, wait for it.    It's Spanish!

Facts.

Edited by CampNCruise74

Lots of family or friends groups.  No matter the language.  But still plenty of friendly people.  - Seashore the week following Thanksgiving.  And, yes, lots of people who self-identified as Cuban, Colombian, or Argentinian.  I was solo and not lonely.

• Like 1

Can only speak for YC experience on Seashore the week prior to Christmas. I would say 95% were English speaking. Cannot verify whether or not they were U.S. citizens/Canadian/British, but heard very few non-English conversations. It's all good!

Edited by gimletgal

I noticed on 12-day B2B cruise on Seashore in December that the staff in Yacht Club has limited English skills and most waiters had problems understanding passengers while taking orders in YC restaurant. Same in Top Sail Lounge.. one waitress only spoke Spanish and had to get an English speaking colleague.

I dearly missed the senior butlers and waiters from previous cruises in Mediterranean and Baltic Sea who engaged in conversations and entertained the guests.

On another note.. during the first leg (5-days) we were never seated on the same table and had always different waiter & assistant waiter.. during the second leg (7-days) we had 2 pairs of waiter & assistant waiter but were seated in different sections again.

The YC restaurant manager was most of the time present but didn’t appeared to be in charge of a smooth operation.

Too many little things went wrong because of miscommunication and or lack of responsibility.

There is definitely room for improvement to show the level of Exclusivity as promised.

Edited by SirWolf
  • Like 1