A Canadian takes on a S2B2B on Oasis 1/2/22, Odyssey 1/9/22 & 1/15/22 (hopefully)

So, it looks like the Canadian gvt website is still showing conflicting information.

If you go the page where it asks questions to determine if you can enter Canada it still has the less restrictive wording and includes (may be subject"

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/answers/citizen-symptoms

Find out if you can travel to Canada - Citizen with symptoms - By land or sea

You indicated that you are:

• a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, a person registered under the Indian Act or a protected person
  • showing signs or symptoms consistent with COVID-19
  • entering by land or water

Based on your answers, you won’t be turned away at the land border, but you may be fined $5,000 per traveller (plus surcharges).

To avoid being fined, wait to enter Canada until the 15th day (starting January 15, 2022, 11th day) after your positive test result. If you had symptoms without a positive result, wait until the symptoms have ended and you have a valid negative pre-entry test result.

3 hours ago, JillK said:

It's excessively punitive for Cdn citizens to return. They government has said they don't want us travelling and they are making sure that it is stressful and expensive enough to deter us. 

At the very least Jessy and Paul travelled with some protection from Royal. Now that testing will not be provided by Royal after January, any of us testing after our cruise will have to deal with a potential 10 day quarantine at our own expense. 

Don't see how the PCR requirement is helping to stop COVID though - Omicron found a way in.

Fingers crossed for Jessy's final test to be negative! 

I recommend bringing self tests with you.  Test yourselves the morning of your last full day on the ship.  If you test positive, call the medical center and tell them you feel sick so that they’ll test you.

Also do your trip insurance plans cover Covid quarantine?

4 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

So, it looks like the Canadian gvt website is still showing conflicting information.

If you go the page where it asks questions to determine if you can enter Canada it still has the less restrictive wording and includes (may be subject"

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/answers/citizen-symptoms

Find out if you can travel to Canada - Citizen with symptoms - By land or sea

You indicated that you are:

• a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, a person registered under the Indian Act or a protected person
  • showing signs or symptoms consistent with COVID-19
  • entering by land or water

Based on your answers, you won’t be turned away at the land border, but you may be fined $5,000 per traveller (plus surcharges).

To avoid being fined, wait to enter Canada until the 15th day (starting January 15, 2022, 11th day) after your positive test result. If you had symptoms without a positive result, wait until the symptoms have ended and you have a valid negative pre-entry test result.

If I understand correctly you cannot return before 11 days after positive test, correct?

8 minutes ago, D4 said:

I recommend bringing self tests with you.  Test yourselves the morning of your last full day on the ship.  If you test positive, call the medical center and tell them you feel sick so that they’ll test you.

That was our original plan for the last cruise. We brought 10 tests with us.  We were going to Al test ourselves on 1/22 and if any of us popped positive we would have reported it to guest services. Sadly Paul popped positive on the wrong cruise 😂😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, #55worktoplay said:

Yes but I read it if you return before that you will be fined 5000 + fees. 

That's why I just posted that bit from a different part of the website.  It still has the old language with "May be"  which has always been there and people entered without issue.  I'm sure that the other section will take precedence but frustrating to have conflicting information posted

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

That's why I just posted that bit from a different part of the website.  It still has the old language with "May be"  which has always been there and people entered without issue.  I'm sure that the other section will take precedence but frustrating to have conflicting information posted

Agreed it definitely is not clear if you will be they should “will” the way it reads is if the border feels like fining you they will. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JessyCruises said:

Yes that is correct.  Paul tested positive on 1/13 so we can go home 1/24.  🙏🙏🙏🙏

We completed our five day covid quarantine in Fort Lauderdale on the 18th and flew home on the 19th to South Carolina.

Got the attached Memo from Royal about reimbursement. Today filed two separate reimbursement request one for me and one for my wife. Received generic reply indicating 30 days likely.

Capture+_2022-01-21-14-27-40~3.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fonz623 said:

We completed our five day covid quarantine in Fort Lauderdale on the 18th and flew home on the 19th to South Carolina.

Got the attached Memo from Royal about reimbursement. Today filed two separate reimbursement request one for me and one for my wife. Received generic reply indicating 30 days likely.

Capture+_2022-01-21-14-27-40~3.png

Thank you for sharing!

• Like 1

The covid CSR guy on the phone before we left the ship recommended two separate hotel rooms for wife and me since I was positive and she was negative. Even though neither of us had symptoms to this day we did that. Also we split meal costs at the restaurant down the street into separate credit cards. Kept us under $100 /day meals and separate invoice hotel room kept us under $350.

Topic of covid never came up at hotel or restaurant or airplane.  We wore masks and social distanced.

Claim email for me included photos of meal receipts, screen shot of airfare charges, and pdf file hotel invoice.

Hope you can get well soon and get home soon.

Capture+_2022-01-21-15-00-33~2.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, D4 said:

Thanks for the recommendation. I agree that the self tests are the best solution (cost known and in our dollars, able to complete on the ship so no surprises once on land, etc) but the recent story about them not being accepted does give me pause. Still likely to go this route provided we proceed. 

We do have travel insurance that covers COVID but frankly, I feel like right now it's too great a risk for our four kids. If it was just hubby and I, we would still go (honestly I am in need of a break) because I am willing to take on more risk for myself than I am for the kiddos. 

The thought of being quarantined with my family in a hotel in NJ or NY for 10 days is not appealing. There were days when it was challenging enough in our home over the past two years! 

We are still on the fence and will wait until closer to final payment to make a more concrete decision.

• Like 1

Another negative PCR test from BeeperMD and are cleared to go home!!!  Woo hoo!!   I have uploaded everything into the ArriveCAN App and we are all set.  Fun fact - Paul actually tested negative on his PCR from BeeperMD.  

• Like 29

10 minutes ago, JessyCruises said:

Another negative PCR test from BeeperMD and are cleared to go home!!!  Woo hoo!!   I have uploaded everything into the ArriveCAN App and we are all set.  Fun fact - Paul actually tested negative on his PCR from BeeperMD.  

Great to hear!  Safe trip home.  Thanks for sharing all this.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JessyCruises said:

Wonderful news! Safe travels home! Thank you for sharing this journey with us - it's been most informative and helpful!

Thank you very much for sharing all your experiences, we had a trip planned for April - however we cancelled it.  As it would be just too stressful worrying about covid.  I hope you both have a safe flight home, take care.