Live Nieuw Amsterdam, 9-Days, Dec 30, 2021 - Jan 8, 2022

Crew News

1 minute ago, Crew News said:

We did not get into the chair line outside until AFTER we completed our clipboard of information so missed a few spots in the queue.  Ten minutes on the musical chairs, five minutes for the tests, three minutes to pay (choice of how to receive results), and 15 minute wait outside until handed the printed results. 

FWIW lots of restaurants in the area as well as a Lash Spa next door.

Thanks for the quick reply.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tlund said:

With the heated ceramic loungers in the thermal spa being at a premium at certain times, are they limiting which ones can be used (since they are not 6 feet apart)?  Also, are masks required in the thermal pool/suite?

We did not use the heated loungers, or peak around the corner to see them,  just the padded ones around the pool.  I did not see any masks in the pool area but everywhere else masks were worn.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, iflyrc5 said:

Thanks for the quick reply.

YW When I finally get any internet connection, I am efficient.

Note that the storefront is very small and at the edge of a grassy area.  If you see the grass on your left, look back over your left shoulder and you will see the chairs lined up outside of Lab+Doctor.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Thanks for the update.  So annoying that you have to chase after your discounts.  I guess too many people were "throwing away" their chocolates that they are eliminating them on ships.  Good that they can save 2 cents by doing that😉.

I got them three weeks ago on every visit to the Tamarind.  I don't eat them so no big loss for me.

• Like 2

Just now, Crew News said:

I got them three weeks ago on every visit to the Tamarind.  I don't eat them so no big loss for me.

I assume you mean discounts and not chocolates.  It was a HUGE pain to get them on the Koningdam (discounts).  It used to be automatic when you'd either get on board or once you had a meal.  I can't help thinking they are doing this on purpose now thinking people will forget or give up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I assume you mean discounts and not chocolates.  It was a HUGE pain to get them on the Koningdam (discounts).  It used to be automatic when you'd either get on board or once you had a meal.  I can't help thinking they are doing this on purpose now thinking people will forget or give up.

I meant chocolates. 

This was the first time my dining discounts were not applied right away.  I think it might be that Shore Excursions and Dining are separate downloads to the ship from Seattle and sometimes they do not synchronize.

I think that the Navigator app switchover/download from Seattle to the cruise ship takes a few hours and pax complain that their shore excursions have vanished.

• Like 2

We have finally caught up and got some free time on our day at sea today . We did get to meet Roger on Thursday . Eat , Retreat and nap today and Canaletto tonight . A full island tour early tomorrow at Willemstad and we're in town until 2300 tomorrow night . We have taken lots photos !

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

We have finally caught up and got some free time on our day at sea today . We did get to meet Roger on Thursday . Eat , Retreat and nap today and Canaletto tonight . A full island tour early tomorrow at Willemstad and we're in town until 2300 tomorrow night . We have taken lots photos !

Joanna and I will also be at the Canaletto this evening but at 5:30 PM for Joanna's first Canaletto experience.  We both love pistachio gelato.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, canadarocks said:

Have you had any luck finding those elusive 10 & 11 day menus? 🙂 

All the 10 day menus are in the thread I attached earlier to this thread.  It’s the thread from richwnn in post number 2.

Edited by Florida_gal_50
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Crew News said:

I meant chocolates. 

This was the first time my dining discounts were not applied right away.  I think it might be that Shore Excursions and Dining are separate downloads to the ship from Seattle and sometimes they do not synchronize.

I think that the Navigator app switchover/download from Seattle to the cruise ship takes a few hours and pax complain that their shore excursions have vanished.

Sorry I’m not buying that.  Why do these system “upgrades” make things worse.  They should not manually have to fix things.  A person should get discounts right from the get go.  They could have figured this crap out when they were shut down for a year and a half but nah let’s not bother.  The make more money this way. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Crew News said:

Night Auditor position no longer existed.

So, now who will be blamed when the screw ups on our accounts occur?  

5 hours ago, Crew News said:

Our issue was who would restart the  bubbles when the timer ran out. 

Indeed!  I understand why there is a timer on this amenity, but, the time span for which it is set is not a guest friendly time period.  I have offered my onboard comments about this and had no positive affect.  

6 hours ago, Crew News said:

No bar soap in the bathroom but  bottle Elmis soap works fine.

Could bar soap be requested from your Cabin Steward?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

@rkacruiserit’s been 5 years I bet since they’ve had bar soap in the rooms (balcony anyway) so I wonder if they even have it.  I can’t be soap sensitive so I just bring my own.

Cannot cite cruise and date, but, it has been more recently than 5 years, but, I did request a bar soap for the shower.  My Cabin Steward was able to provide it.

Do you remember the excellent yellow glycerin soap that once was available.  It was an excellent facial/hand soap.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Cannot cite cruise and date, but, it has been more recently than 5 years, but, I did request a bar soap for the shower.  My Cabin Steward was able to provide it.

Do you remember the excellent yellow glycerin soap that once was available.  It was an excellent facial/hand soap.  

Yes, I remember it.  It’s been a while since I’ve seen it.  They still may have soap in suites.  It hasn’t appeared in the ships I’ve been on for a long time.  I generally stay in balcony rooms.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

@rkacruiserit’s been 5 years I bet since they’ve had bar soap in the rooms (balcony anyway) so I wonder if they even have it.  I can  be soap sensitive so I just bring my own.

We had bar soap on the Rotterdam in Oct 2019 and the Volendam in Jan-Mar 2020.  Just had to ask our room stewards. We had an inside and ocean view.

Edited by iflyrc5
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, iflyrc5 said:

We had bar soap on the Rotterdam in Oct 2019 and the Volendam in Jan-Mar 2020.  Just had to ask our room stewards. We had an inside and ocean view.

Yes, I’m speaking of it appearing automatically.  You can ask for anything.  You may or may not get it.

• Like 1

Yes, I agree with earlier advice, and from experience:  Definitely EAT those strawberries right away; they do not keep.

Also, please say hello to Jenny for us, Suzanne and Michael.  She remembered us for three weeks between the end of our first two-week cruise and our second three-week cruise and we had not had her as a server, just met her once.  She recognized us and called us by name and was just great on our last four-week cruising adventure.

• Like 1

I'm thinking re bar soap, one reason they are trying to discourage its use is for sanitary reasons--the soap dispensers are more sanitary than a bar of soap that sits in its own juices and is generally messy; we always put the bar soap on a folded-up wash cloth as a soap dish.

• Like 1