Live Nieuw Amsterdam, 9-Days, Dec 30, 2021 - Jan 8, 2022

Crew News

Happy New Year, @Crew News!  It sounds like you are having a great time - except for CC,  and we're all having trouble with CC.

Do you remember the name of the place where you got the covid test, across from Embassy Suites?  I'd be interested in keeping it bookmarked for future reference...   NS is our next ship, but after that, NA, and we have never been on her, so I'm interested to hear all about the ship.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Crew News said:

I had hoped for live reports but the slow internet speed coupled with the requirement to keep refreshing CC are inhibiting factors.  Add numerous occasions of being locked out of CC in 15-minute increments for the wrong password (?????) and my frustration level high remains high.

Sorry to hear internet is an issue.  The CC issue is extremely frustrating and has been going on for months.  I have to clear the CC cookies all the time then sign in again.  

What’s with having to watch the video 3X!!!  Geesh, lol.

Add all that up and I can see why your frustration level is high.   Please try to have an enjoyable cruise without worrying about reporting on CC.  

• Like 1

I wonder if you keep receiving that letter in error Roger.  I received that letter myself on my second week on the koningsdam.  I called the front desk and asked exactly what didn’t I do.  They said it was an error.  Right hand meet left hand😛.  I hope the internet gets better for you.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Crew News said:

I had hoped for live reports but the slow internet speed coupled with the requirement to keep refreshing CC are inhibiting factors.  Add numerous occasions of being locked out of CC in 15-minute increments for the wrong password (?????) and my frustration level high remains high.

This happened to me constantly last fall on NA.  Grrr.  I think secretly the satellite/IT has a semi-block on the CC web site so we can't post or read as much as we'd like to--ha.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crew News said:

Thank you for persevering! I'm very much enjoying your report

9 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Happy New Year, @Crew News!  It sounds like you are having a great time - except for CC,  and we're all having trouble with CC.

Do you remember the name of the place where you got the covid test, across from Embassy Suites?  I'd be interested in keeping it bookmarked for future reference...   NS is our next ship, but after that, NA, and we have never been on her, so I'm interested to hear all about the ship.

Lab+Doctor is located 1425A SE 17th Street, Fort Lauderdale  33316

Walking Directions from Embassy Suites:  Depart Embassy Suites front door and walk to the right to the stop light.  Cross 17th Street.  Turn right and walk past the following strip mall stores:  Luggage, Lash Spa, and Lab+Doctor will be on the left.  If you walk past a grassy area on your left, you went too far. 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2021 at 6:06 AM, Crew News said:

Feel free to ask lots of questions and I will do my best to find answers.

Do you recall which indoor bars were open for pre-dinner drinks on embarkation day  ?  

Tamarind, PG bar, Ocean Bar, etc.

Thanks!  

On 12/30/2021 at 6:30 PM, mrredman said:

We will be traveling on the Nieux Amsterdam from Jan 15-22, 2022 during the fully chartered StarVista Country Music Cruise.  Any factual info you can provide throughout your cruise would be MUCH appreciated! 

We are on it too.  Can't wait. 

On 1/1/2022 at 11:52 PM, Boatdrill said:

Do you recall which indoor bars were open for pre-dinner drinks on embarkation day  ?  

Tamarind, PG bar, Ocean Bar, etc.

Thanks!  

Last October all the bars you mentioned were open on embarkation day. Tamarind I believe after five.

4 hours ago, mrredman said:

Has the ship docked at all intended ports so far? Any word or observation of any illnesses onboard? Thanks for any update!

We have docked at all scheduled ports so far (HMC, Grand Turk, and Amber Cove). We are at sea today. I may be hyper-sensitive, but I’ve heard more people coughing than I did at the beginning of the cruise (could very well be chronic coughing due to smoking withdrawal or something else.) No official reports of sick passengers. 

• Like 1

Some tidbits and observations of this cruise:

Every Single crew member we have interacted with has been simply wonderful. I am amazed at how they all recognize us, even after brief encounters, and address us by name. It is my opinion that one won’t find this level of service on any other cruise line at this category. 

My husband’s comment at dinner in the PG last night: “I’m from the Midwest, and have had some pretty delicious steak in my past, but tonight’s Beef Tenderloin was without compare.”

Club Orange and a lido cabana were wonderful splurges on this voyage. Since we still have teens in school, it will take us many, many more voyages to get to a 4 or 5 star mariner level of priority service. Breezing through embarkation at the time we were finally able to go through it (we had to wait for my husband to return a rental car and shuttle back) saved us from having to wait in a crowded line of people waiting for their boarding pass printout. We thoroughly enjoyed the Lido NYE party from our cabana and we enjoy the daily “home base” for our stuff, and of course, the attention of Mark, our cabana guy!

Sadly, there’s a low number of teens involved in Club Hal on this voyage. My two are going to try again today, and hopefully participate in some of the planned activities. 

We saw him twice, but we won’t be going back a third time to see one of the comedians. I just don’t think he is really right for this crowd and he seemed a bit unprepared both times.

The food overall, as we have come to expect from HAL, is delicious. However, the muesli, my perennial favorite, just doesn’t taste that great in the lido, and the dive-in hot dogs do NOT taste like Nathan’s hot dogs, according to my entire family. 

We are so happy to be on this trip, and at any given time, one of us will say, “I can’t believe we are actually here!”  We feel so safe on this ship - everyone is vaccinated, probably a lot are boosted too, and mask-wearing is the norm, not the exception. I will go back home at the end of this trip and tell everyone how glad were to go on this voyage. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, mrredman said:

Has the ship docked at all intended ports so far? Any word or observation of any illnesses onboard? Thanks for any update!

One of the six dancers, one of the piano players in Billboard Onboard, and one of the musicians in Lincoln Center have been quarantined for exposure (they haven’t tested positive at this point).  The drummer from BB King Allstars has still not rejoined the ship because of flight cancellations.  So still no live band entertainment on board.  Other cruise ships sailing last week were denied entry into both Grand Turk and the Dominican Republic, but we were able to dock at both which is a good sign for the next ports of call.

• Like 3

The past two days have been a whirlwind and a very slow internet connection on my laptop so will try to catch up.  

Day 2 in Turks & Caicos had two ships in port with no water sales at the gangway for the second port.  Water had been for sale on my previous Nieuw Statendam gangway at every stop.  Local police ere patrolling the port area and enforcing the outdoor mask requirements.  After strolling down the beach in search of lounge chairs, I gave up and returned to the ship. A Dive In bratwurst and a repeated attempts to overcome the internet latency filled my afternoon.  Tamarind dinner was a great experience.  My two waiters , Erica and Seby, knew my former Tamarind waiters aboard the Nieuw Statendam and immediately texted them that Roger sends his greetings.  Small world.  During dinner, both Tamarind chefs stopped to see how I enjoyed their food.  This was a first for me in any Tamarind. No gift chocolates in my stateroom after dinner as I received on the Nieuw Statendam.   I will be uploading a newer version of the Tamarind menu when I get better connection speed.

Day 3 my  visit to the 'Front desk to inquire why Mariner dining discounts had not been applied, the ship Meet & Greet Coordinator, Daphne, spotted me and apologized for the Captain sending me the two Passenger Safety Drill letters even though I had not mentioned it to anyone on the crew.  Does the ship read this live thread?  

When I asked Daphne about the Night Auditor fixing my prepaid dining, I was told that it would be fixed immediately and that the Night Auditor position no longer existed.

An hour later, a plate of dark chocolate-covered strawberries arrived at my stateroom door prompting me to create an "accepting the Captain's apology schedule" for the consumption of the said huge strawberries. Two per day was my decision and the first crunchy strawberry was soon melting on my palate.

Amber Cove was a scheduled spa day as my beach trip was cancelled by HAL.  The spa should assign a person to push the bubbles so that those in the spa need not exit the spa to push the buttons to restart after timer rundown.  I vowed to make more spa time available on future cruises.

While searching the Lido Market buffet with my empty salad bowl, the Lido Manager asked if I needed help and I replied that I was just heading for nacho chip refill.  Telling him about my daily interaction with Presty on the Nieuw Statendam, I learned that they were good friends and he would pass my greetings to Presty via text message.  Small world.

Dinner was at the Pinnacle Grill with another of my free meals.  Excellent filet Mignon and the same amazing waiter, Wayan. Only three small pieces of chocolate candy nowadays at the end of your meal.  The dancer on the main stage were pretty good.

The Explorations Cafe barista is Jenny.  Please stop and say hello to her.  

Tidbits:

• The Lido Market chairs still require a lift and push technique for moving them while seated.
  • Unlike other ships, Happy Hour is in both the Billboard an Ocean bars.
  • Need to bring towel clips for beach towels and loungers.
  • Hair dryer works fine.
  • No bar soap in the bathroom but  bottle Elmis soap works fine.
  • Glad I brought my Coleman collapsible ice bucket.
  • No nightlight in the bathrooms as in other ships.
  • Laundry service is quick and delicate clothing is well cared for.
  • Spa personnel are much more aggressive in selling services.

More later.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 1/1/2022 at 10:40 PM, Crew News said:

Lab+Doctor is located 1425A SE 17th Street, Fort Lauderdale  33316

Walking Directions from Embassy Suites:  Depart Embassy Suites front door and walk to the right to the stop light.  Cross 17th Street.  Turn right and walk past the following strip mall stores:  Luggage, Lash Spa, and Lab+Doctor will be on the left.  If you walk past a grassy area on your left, you went too far. 

How long was your wait to get tested at the LabDoctor?  How long until you got the results?  Did they provide a written result or emailed or both?   Thanks - this is our backup plan if we mess up trying to do our proctored home tests before leaving.

8 minutes ago, tlund said:

My husband and I enjoy the thermal suite with the spa pool.  What are the COVID/social distancing protocols in the thermal suite/pool?

With six of us in the pool, distancing was not an issue.  Our issue was who would restart the  bubbles when the timer ran out.  Loungers were placed about 18 inches apart and I don't remember seeing any signs on the floor to measure distances.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crew News said:

With six of us in the pool, distancing was not an issue.  Our issue was who would restart the  bubbles when the timer ran out.  Loungers were placed about 18 inches apart and I don't remember seeing any signs on the floor to measure distances.

With the heated ceramic loungers in the thermal spa being at a premium at certain times, are they limiting which ones can be used (since they are not 6 feet apart)?  Also, are masks required in the thermal pool/suite?

3 minutes ago, iflyrc5 said:

How long was your wait to get tested at the LabDoctor?  How long until you got the results?  Did they provide a written result or emailed or both?   Thanks - this is our backup plan if we mess up trying to do our proctored home tests before leaving.

We did not get into the chair line outside until AFTER we completed our clipboard of information so missed a few spots in the queue.  Ten minutes on the musical chairs, five minutes for the tests, three minutes to pay (choice of how to receive results), and 15 minute wait outside until handed the printed results. 

FWIW lots of restaurants in the area as well as a Lash Spa next door.

• Like 1