If I test postive and I'm already in the city, then what?

Lady_E

Basically, because Carnival is requiring COVID tests no sooner than 48 hours before sailing, we'll already be in New Orleans. Basically, I know if we test positive we'll get an FCC but I'd be concerned about getting on a plane after that.

Has anyone gone through this? Is there a way to test earlier? I'm just concerned about being stuck in a city and having to fly home. We're super familiar with NOLA, but it's still a concern.

24 minutes ago, Lady_E said:

Basically, because Carnival is requiring COVID tests no sooner than 48 hours before sailing, we'll already be in New Orleans. Basically, I know if we test positive we'll get an FCC but I'd be concerned about getting on a plane after that.

Has anyone gone through this? Is there a way to test earlier? I'm just concerned about being stuck in a city and having to fly home. We're super familiar with NOLA, but it's still a concern.

I think the only alternative would be to self-isolate for five days. I'm not sure about hotel accommodations as you would have to inform the hotel you've tested positive, etc. Same with a rental car company.  I'm not sure what the protocols are with respect to renting cars, hotel rooms with Covid. Best to ensure you're not positive before you travel to NOLA.

21 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

You cant get back on a plane without lying. Either rent a car and drive or isolate 5 days. Those are your choices without lying to board a plane positive.

It's the chance you are taking testing positive and getting stuck.

Oh it's only 5 days? For some reason I thought it was 14.

For the record, I don't have any real reason to think we'll test positive....I'm just thinking ahead. We're vaxxed and boosted.

I'll try to get another at home test, since we just ordered 2 of the Bixx ones for Carnival's requirements.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Lady_E said:

Oh it's only 5 days? For some reason I thought it was 14.

For the record, I don't have any real reason to think we'll test positive....I'm just thinking ahead. We're vaxxed and boosted.

I'll try to get another at home test, since we just ordered 2 of the Bixx ones for Carnival's requirements.

I think it was 10 days and cdc cut it to 5 days which everyone but michigan adopted for isolation. Getting a test in new orleans might be more challenging. Good you ordered at home tests ahead of time.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I think it was 10 days and cdc cut it to 5 days which everyone but michigan adopted for isolation. Getting a test in new orleans might be more challenging. Good you ordered at home tests ahead of time.

So our plan was to fly in on Saturday and spend a couple days sight seeing. Since the cruise doesn't leave til Monday, we were going to test on Saturday but it would have to be after we'd already flown in because our flight is early. Hence my concern. But if we do somehow test positive, then I guess we'll just stay in our hotel room and order food until our flight back Sunday. We'll have fulfilled the 5 day required isolation and still be able to get back home.

Thanks!

33 minutes ago, ChutChut said:

I think the only alternative would be to self-isolate for five days. I'm not sure about hotel accommodations as you would have to inform the hotel you've tested positive, etc. Same with a rental car company.  I'm not sure what the protocols are with respect to renting cars, hotel rooms with Covid. Best to ensure you're not positive before you travel to NOLA.

I think the cruise line are required to be contracted with local hotels to accommodate passengers that have tested positive.Not sure if this would apply but it may be another option.

8 minutes ago, Lady_E said:

So our plan was to fly in on Saturday and spend a couple days sight seeing. Since the cruise doesn't leave til Monday, we were going to test on Saturday but it would have to be after we'd already flown in because our flight is early. Hence my concern. But if we do somehow test positive, then I guess we'll just stay in our hotel room and order food until our flight back Sunday. We'll have fulfilled the 5 day required isolation and still be able to get back home.

Thanks!

I can't find any details on the hours, but since you have the at-home kits you could theoretically do those pre-flight on Saturday if the eMed service is 24/7. Means waking up even earlier, but that'd be worth it to me to know I've got my negative test in hand. 5 day quarantine would only be if you're asymptomatic AFAIK, if you have symptoms it's different.

4 minutes ago, fold said:

I can't find any details on the hours, but since you have the at-home kits you could theoretically do those pre-flight on Saturday if the eMed service is 24/7. Means waking up even earlier, but that'd be worth it to me to know I've got my negative test in hand. 5 day quarantine would only be if you're asymptomatic AFAIK, if you have symptoms it's different.

Ah okay, thank you. Yeah we may do that. I'll see if I can figure out if the proctor is 24/7.

12 minutes ago, htkodiak said:

I think the cruise line are required to be contracted with local hotels to accommodate passengers that have tested positive.Not sure if this would apply but it may be another option.

I dont think in practice this has been true. Someone who tested positive said she was on her own to get a isolation hotel in houston, Galveston choices too expensive. Carnival was required by the cdc to have arrangements. I've never read you are required to only book these hotels at your own expense. ..

OP you might want to read blerks thread. She just boarded out of new orleans she said and at home tests werent accepted and carnival retested her. No extra charge. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I dont think in practice this has been true. Someone who tested positive said she was on her own to get a isolation hotel in houston, Galveston choices too expensive. Carnival was required by the cdc to have arrangements. I've never read you are required to only book these hotels at your own expense. ..

OP you might want to read blerks thread. She just boarded out of new orleans she said and at home tests werent accepted and carnival retested her. No extra charge. 

Even the Bixx one that Carnival recommends? That's the one we bought for testing. It makes no sense that Carnival wouldn't accept the test they suggest. I'll check Blerk's thread though, thank you!

• Like 1

This is why I am so surprised people from out of town are cruising.  I guess if you already have plane tickets, they are harder to cancel now so you just take a chance.  The odds are most of us or all of us will get COVID.  But being vaccinated and boosted I really don't care as I will go on with life.  Oh and I live in Florida, thank god!

We are just driving over so we will know before we leave home.   I wouldn't chance it flying in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lady_E said:

Even the Bixx one that Carnival recommends? That's the one we bought for testing. It makes no sense that Carnival wouldn't accept the test they suggest. I'll check Blerk's thread though, thank you!

Blerk paid $100 for the appointment because their other plans fell through. I don’t think it was a retest. She said the testing company told her that but not carnival. (I think)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Denverdonkeys said:

Blerk paid $100 for the appointment because their other plans fell through. I don’t think it was a retest. She said the testing company told her that but not carnival. (I think)

Ah okay. Thanks. I spoke to Blerk directly too!

Originally isolation was 14 days (we had machine guns and spotlights for ours, Grand Princess), then it went to 10 days and now it's 5 days.  

Both the kid and I got CoViD (vaxxed and boosted) in Sept and Oct.  While it wasn't comfortable, it wasn't life threatening.  I can handle it. 

8 hours ago, Lady_E said:

You could test before you go to New Orleans. Then test again when you're there. Still could test negative then positive but at least you know you aren't going there positive. I'm going to have to figure it out myself as I'll be in Seattle two days before my Alaska cruise.

9 hours ago, firefly333 said:

You cant get back on a plane without lying. Either rent a car and drive or isolate 5 days. Those are your choices without lying to board a plane positive.

It's the chance you are taking testing positive and getting stuck.

Not true

10 hours ago, firefly333 said:

you are repeating a rumor. Nobody else has proven this statement to be true.

20 hours ago, Denverdonkeys said:

Thank you. This is what happened. Except she is a he.

Guest BasicSailor
1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

Thank you. This is what happened. Except she is a he.

Dang people, I'm getting all confused with these post 🤣