Any Canadians cruising Jan, or Feb?

Cthy651

9 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It sucks but at the end of the day I think it's a wise decision.

We definitely feel as though it is. Royal and our TA have taken care of us for our Feb cruise (cancelled and full refund coming) and in doing so guaranteed that our next international vacation will be aboard one of their ships. Hopefully winter of 2023 when this thing should be/hopefully will be in the rear view mirror. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Glad to hear that things worked out for you.  Just had an e mail form a cruise client who booked her own AI for over the holidays.  Her husband is still stuck down there.  She also told me of a lady she was talking to at the resort coming home who had to leave her 18yo daughter there to quarantine by herself as they would not allow anyone else to stay as she was an "adult"  I'm seeing similar horror stories daily that are shared by travel agents from across North America in our chat group.  Yes there are lots of positive experiences however it just seems that there are a whole lot more shady players in the AI industry compared to the cruise lines.

At the AI we stayed at there were several couples in the quarantine building where only one had tested positive which we thought sucked for the negative spouse. I can only assume they were staying together until day 15 when they could return to Canada or got a negative test result. If I had tested positive and Mrs. Dawg negative, she would have gladly shipped me off to a quarantine room and said "see you back on T.O." but she would not have given up our room. 

I don't doubt that there are more shady players in the AI industry vs. the cruise industry. The sheer number of different operators is many times that of the cruise industry. Horror stories are going to occur, some because of shadiness, but mostly will probably be just because of the rapid growth in actual Covid cases because of the Omicron variant. I guess people will just have to ask themselves, what are my chances on testing positive while travelling? If I do test positive, what is plan B and plan C? Do I have the financial wherewithal to afford plan B and plan C whether via insurance or my own assets? Can I afford, work wise, to be stuck in another country for an extra  couple of weeks (i.e. can I work or if I can't will I get fired!)? And if I do get stuck in a foreign country/city for an extra couple of weeks before I can return to Canada, which foreign country/city would I rather be stuck in? Finally, with all the flight disruptions occurring now, what is plan D and plan E if that extra couple of weeks turns into a month or longer.  I'm not sure I want to be stuck in Miami or Cuba for and extra two or four weeks.

For our next vacation in the summer we will be renting a cottage here in Ontari-ari-o!

Cruising or another AI will have to wait. 

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 2

We cruised in Oct with Carnival out of Galveston, followed by a RCL cruise end of Nov/Dec on the Ody OTS, all was ok, flights, stays in both Galv and FL and Cruise. Cruise ships are as safe as anywhere, their protocols are as good in place as they get. We are Late 50's and early 60's, maintain a healthy lifestyle, Vitamins, limited exercises etc comply to make sure we can continue to travel/cruise. We wont stop and bow to these conditions and restrictions. We just adjust accordingly and be careful with our travels and dbl vaxxed. 

Planning a cruise out of Miami on the Symp OTS Feb 5, over night in FL to enjoy. May cruise out of Rome/Greece on the Ody OTS and a fam cruise in June out of Miami. 

Do your thing though, if you feel you shouldnt cruise or travel, then dont - if you feel its ok, then enjoy. 

• Like 1

We just got home last night from 2 weeks on the Navigator of the Seas.  The Christmas week cruise had more guests than the 2nd week.  Many guests cancelled for the Dec 31 cruise when the CDC advised to avoid cruise ships and many others were not able to get to LA due to flight cancellations. Only 1500 guests onboard so physical distancing was very easy to accomplish.  The public health protocols were followed including officers wondering around the ship ensuring everyone was wearing masks. They actually had masks in their hands and were handing them out if someone was not wearing one.   Overall though mask compliance was exceptional. 

There were crew and guests who tested positive but from what we saw Royal handled these situations very well.  Lots of enhanced cleaning 

I was hesitant to go but my family wanted to so off we went. I am very glad we did. We got selected for testing at Vancouver airport last night so are now quarantining until we get the test results.  

Next scheduled cruise is February and we are planning on going. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Welly9 said:

We wont stop and bow to these conditions and restrictions

You'll be doing a lot of bowing if you test positive after your next cruise and aren't allowed on the plane back to Canada.  Many (most?) Canadians have cancelled their cruises and other vacations this winter because it's the responsible thing to do.  But hey, keep on cruising like there's no pandemic if that's your thing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TheHawk1 said:

You'll be doing a lot of bowing if you test positive after your next cruise and aren't allowed on the plane back to Canada.  Many (most?) Canadians have cancelled their cruises and other vacations this winter because it's the responsible thing to do.  But hey, keep on cruising like there's no pandemic if that's your thing.

lol expected response coming from someone from Toronto, stay in your heard

• Like 1