Rapid antigen test vs. rapid PCR test

According to Royal's website, they accept a molecular test, also called a PCR test or NAAT test, or an antigen test, also called a rapid antigen test.  Our local CVS uses a rapid PCR test.  Is that the same thing as a rapid antigen test?  

DH and I got a rapid test last week at a local urgent care clinic because we had been around someone who later was diagnosed with Covid. Thankfully our tests were negative and we got a printed-out form indicating so.  However, the form didn't specify the name of the testing lab or a certification number, probably because the test was done in the urgent care office while we sat in the car and waited.

I'd like to do the rapid test just so I'm not in suspense for two days prior to boarding to get results from a regular PCR test, but definitely want to make sure we aren't turned away.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kellie in Texas said:

According to Royal's website, they accept a molecular test, also called a PCR test or NAAT test, or an antigen test, also called a rapid antigen test.  Our local CVS uses a rapid PCR test.  Is that the same thing as a rapid antigen test?  

DH and I got a rapid test last week at a local urgent care clinic because we had been around someone who later was diagnosed with Covid. Thankfully our tests were negative and we got a printed-out form indicating so.  However, the form didn't specify the name of the testing lab or a certification number, probably because the test was done in the urgent care office while we sat in the car and waited.

I'd like to do the rapid test just so I'm not in suspense for two days prior to boarding to get results from a regular PCR test, but definitely want to make sure we aren't turned away.

Answer it your question:  YES!!

5 minutes ago, Kellie in Texas said:

Answer to you question: NO! 

Antigen and PCR are two different tests. Both are accepted.

• Like 1

For RCI since you can get either what tests are you all opting for? We test on Saturday 15th for a Monday 17th sail. Appt made at our local CVS already. I will then print out hard copy on my desk top to take with us. Any reason why we should opt for one over the other?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ashland said:

For RCI since you can get either what tests are you all opting for? We test on Saturday 15th for a Monday 17th sail. Appt made at our local CVS already. I will then print out hard copy on my desk top to take with us. Any reason why we should opt for one over the other?

We are going next Saturday for the Rapid Antigen test. The antigen test is slightly less effective at picking up the Omicron virus.  The rapid PCR test can pick up lingering covid. Any extra help getting on board is helpful.  Less effective antigen is the winner for us, and it is free.

• Like 1

@RoyalCI know they are different tests.  My question is that our CVS uses a test called "rapid PCR" which has results in 15 minutes like a rapid antigen test but Royal's website does not specifically mention "rapid PCR" ... it only mentions PCR or rapid antigen.

@Ashlandwe need to test on Jan. 14 but our CVS appointments only go out one week as far as scheduling, so you're lucky you could get scheduled already.

3 minutes ago, Kellie in Texas said:

@RoyalCI know they are different tests.  My question is that our CVS uses a test called "rapid PCR" which has results in 15 minutes like a rapid antigen test but Royal's website does not specifically mention "rapid PCR" ... it only mentions PCR or rapid antigen.

@Ashlandwe need to test on Jan. 14 but our CVS appointments only go out one week as far as scheduling, so you're lucky you could get scheduled already.

Still the same but testing is highly likely done in house so the results come in faster. Normally it is sent to a lab. Do they charge for it being rapid?

10 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

PCR tests here are taking 3 to 5 days for results,

We know someone who waited that long for a test too.  DH and I got PCR tests on Wednesday at 5:15pm at a testing clinic at the senior center in the community we live in.  We both got our results Thursday morning at 3:30am.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Kellie in Texas said:

There are two major categories of test:

Antigen tests and Nucleic acid amplification tests(NAAT).  There are multiple types of NAAT tests; the major ones are PCR and isothermal NAATs.  PCR, as you know, is still considered the gold standard and takes longer.  The isothermal NAATs are less sensitive than PCR (but more sensitive than antigen tests) and some of the can be done right on site (such as IDNow).  When CVS or Royal Caribbean says “rapid PCR” I suspect they are actually  doing a rapid isothermal NAAT (such as ID Now).  If you want to know the name of the test your CVS is using, you could call your local store.

Antigen, PCR, and other NAAT tests are all acceptable for boarding.

I hope that helps rather than confuses.  If you have more questions, fire away.

Edited by Starry Eyes

1 hour ago, Kellie in Texas said:

You didn't get any documentation of the results ???

3 hours ago, Kellie in Texas said:

There was an option on our CVS site to see more dates...it went out as far as Jan 17th.

3 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

We are going next Saturday for the Rapid Antigen test. The antigen test is slightly less effective at picking up the Omicron virus.  The rapid PCR test can pick up lingering covid. Any extra help getting on board is helpful.  Less effective antigen is the winner for us, and it is free.

So Rapid Antigen test for you...Are you using a CVS?

41 minutes ago, Ashland said:

So Rapid Antigen test for you...Are you using a CVS?

Yes, next Saturday.  it's just a few blocks away. Also going to our local mall tomorrow for a free PCR test. So far we have had 4 test positive from our Christmas dinner and two more today from a backyard BBQ on Friday.  All are asymptomatic and everyone else, about 25 from the two get togethers, says no test for us.. Last I heard from the person checking capacity numbers say under 1100 for the 10th, I am sure there will be more no-shows and cancelations.  Our cruise disappeared last week and is still missing, planner is still open for purchases but nothing shows up for a Royal up bid. 

• Like 1

What tests are specifically not accepted by RCCL?  I don't see anything on walgreens or cvs that wouldn't be accepted as far as I can tell.  Am I missing something?  I understand that the home rapid test that are not proctored are not accepted.  Anything else?

6 minutes ago, dianajo67 said:

I keep hearing that antigen tests aren’t as good at detecting the omicron covid variant, but have not seen that on the cdc, Johns Hopkins and other reputable websites.  Thought the tests, PCR and antigen, only detect coronavirus and it takes additional testing to determine the exact variant.  Am I wrong?  Would love to see a reputable source that says the rapid tests can’t detect coronavirus until much later if it’s the omicron type.

The FDA says”Early data suggests that antigen tests do detect the omicron variant but may have reduced sensitivity.”  Here is the link https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-covid-19-and-medical-devices/sars-cov-2-viral-mutations-impact-covid-19-tests

Antigen tests were not very sensitive even before omicron.  They miss many asymptomatic infections and some symptomatic ones, too.  For example the binax now test so many people take via emed “Compared with real-time RT-PCR testing, the BinaxNOW antigen test had a sensitivity of 64.2% for specimens from symptomatic persons and 35.8% for specimens from asymptomatic persons”

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kellie in Texas said:

6 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

PCR tests here are taking 3 to 5 days for results,

Took one Wednesday at noon got results Friday at 5pm… won’t likely work for a  cruise.  PCR is a better test.  It is not required do the antigen rapid test.