If someone in my party becomes covid positive during the cruise

roysue

I was also on the Regal Christmas cruise and was aware of multiple individuals who tested positive, fell ill, shared a room with someone who was ill, or were back to backers who were asymptomatic and popped a positive at the end.  These folks were treated as is described above.  Princess was doing contact tracing during the cruise to reach out to folks who had been exposed.  I thought it was handled well.  I personally tested myself in the appropriate number of days post-exposure, as did others I've kep contact with and we luckily all tested negative and remain asymptomatic.  

I'm booked 2/12 on Regal and am not cancelling.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/5/2022 at 2:54 AM, caribill said:

I doubt they were taken for anything to do with contact tracing as no information of any kind is on the Medallion other than an ID number that Princess computers use to access everything they know about you and what you did on the voyage.

I suspect they were taken from you to help make sure you did not leaver your quarantine cabin.

Literally verified with several people - that yes, they were used to pull tracking data of where we'd been, for tracing against others, etc.  They do know where you've been, where you are, etc - that's kinda the point of the whole finding a shipmate and all.. no, it's not stored indefinitely, but we were still aboard and they can track it - and yes, you can turn that option off in you medallion/app choices...

Taking it to stop you from leaving your quarantine cabin doesn't do anything at all, as it's not coded to your new cabin, and your account is marked quarantine immediately - once it pinged on any medallion reader, it's quite obvious you're out. You wouldn't be able to get into any cabin though, as it's immediately deactivated...

Go figure..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, reedprincess said:

Literally verified with several people - that yes, they were used to pull tracking data of where we'd been, for tracing against others, etc.  They do know where you've been, where you are, etc - that's kinda the point of the whole finding a shipmate and all.. no, it's not stored indefinitely, but we were still aboard and they can track it - and yes, you can turn that option off in you medallion/app choices...

Taking it to stop you from leaving your quarantine cabin doesn't do anything at all, as it's not coded to your new cabin, and your account is marked quarantine immediately - once it pinged on any medallion reader, it's quite obvious you're out. You wouldn't be able to get into any cabin though, as it's immediately deactivated...

Go figure..

Although tracking everyone on the ship 24/7 is next to impossible I suppose they might only track those that test positive. 

Although not coded to your new cabin it still could have been used for tracking purposes if you left the room and carried the medallion with you. 

I went to the medical center on the Ruby yesterday and was told that if you test positive but your travel companion doesn’t you can still quarantine together if you wish. You will be advised if the risks and have to sign waivers but you can do it. DH and I are very happy with this policy. It also allows a caretaker to quarantine with the person they are caring for. 

13 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I went to the medical center on the Ruby yesterday and was told that if you test positive but your travel companion doesn’t you can still quarantine together if you wish. You will be advised if the risks and have to sign waivers but you can do it. DH and I are very happy with this policy. It also allows a caretaker to quarantine with the person they are caring for. 

Over on the Celebrity board someone in quarantine mentioned that they liked having their partner on the "outside" to advocate for them.  It seems that some had trouble getting ahold of passenger services and / or the medical center.  They felt that having their partner available to personally go to those areas would enable them to get the help they needed.  Of course Princess seems a lot more responsive and I am grateful for that. Still I'm not sure which way I would go if faced with this decision, and I hope to never have to figure that out!

If one person tests positive & is quarantined does the other person who tests negative also have to be quarantined and can than person remain in the original cabin? 

It seems like a shame that both parties would have to miss the whole cruise especially if the symptoms aren't all that bad.

I know I wouldn't be upset if I was in quarantine so my husband could still enjoy himself.   

• Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 4:32 PM, wowzz said:

I appreciate that the above posts refer to cruises from the US, but as the European cruising season is approaching,  it is worth noting  that at present, positive cases, AND close contacts,  even if testing negative, are not permitted to quarantine on board,  and have to be disembarked to government approved quarantine facilities. 

Thank you for sharing this information.   I have a cruise in Europe in September.   I will certainly check into each country's procedures as I approach final payment date, and I will be reading reports when the European season starts.  Sigh, maybe I will have to postpone it one more year.   

Edited by Joanne G.
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Joanne G. said:

Thank you for sharing this information.   I have a cruise in Europe in September.   I will certainly check into each country's procedures as I approach final payment date, and I will be reading reports when the European season starts.  Sigh, maybe I will have to postpone it one more year.   

Hopefully by September the situation will be much improved. We have two European cruises booked in the next 4 months, and are going ! 

• Like 2

On 1/9/2022 at 10:07 PM, Shelly97060 said:

@reedprincess thank you for your detailed post about your experience!  

Did Princess assist you in booking the Covid quarantine hotel?

They have a hotel they use for quarantine for those who need it. My friend who works aboard (high up) advised us to find a place ourselves - and they'd reimburse (it is in their policy). I quickly got online and searched a few places, contacted them, told them we were positive and asymptomatic and needed to quarantine for 5-10 days, could they accept us, handle deliveries to the room, etc.  All said yes, so we went with the best fit, a Residence Inn with one bedroom suite, kitchen, windows that opened, etc.  They took delivery for groceries and actually brought them to the room door (instead of us having to go get them from the lobby), etc.  It worked quite well. .

All in all, we've been quite satisfied with how princess has handled the entire process. No complaints at all..

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 1/4/2022 at 5:32 PM, wowzz said:

I appreciate that the above posts refer to cruises from the US, but as the European cruising season is approaching,  it is worth noting  that at present, positive cases, AND close contacts,  even if testing negative, are not permitted to quarantine on board,  and have to be disembarked to government approved quarantine facilities. 

Is this the policy of all European countries or the cruise lines that are currently operating in Europe?  Is there a governing body for European cruises or can each cruise line put their own policy into place?  What would keep Princess from continuing their onboard isolation practice once they start cruising in Europe this year?

• Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 4:32 PM, wowzz said:

When Princess recommence cruising in Europe,  they will have to obey the local protocols,  which currently dictate that positive passengers must be disembarked, regardless of Princess policy.

There are currently many British,  German etc cruisers currently quarantined in Spanish, Portuguese and Italian ports.

I do appreciate the information regarding European cruises.  I have a 14 day sailing on the QM2 on a RT NYC to Quebec itinerary in September 2022. I don’t know if QM2 abides by those rules when she sails RT out of a US port. Seems she followed them when that TA landed in NYC before heading to Caribbean in December.
I am at the point where I need to book airfare. I would not agree to the passenger contract that requires I be disembarked if positive and not in need of medical care. ughhhh so want to take that trip. 

I would be very sad to cancel. I’ll have to investigate and keep an eye on the policy prior to final payment. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, waiting2retire said:

Is this the policy of all European countries or the cruise lines that are currently operating in Europe?  Is there a governing body for European cruises or can each cruise line put their own policy into place?  What would keep Princess from continuing their onboard isolation practice once they start cruising in Europe this year?

It is an EU policy. Princess, like all other cruise  lines have to follow EU policy, so cannot quarantine passengers onboard.

Obviously,  the policy may change in due course, but currently positive cases are being disembarked. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2022 at 10:56 PM, reedprincess said:

They have a hotel they use for quarantine for those who need it. My friend who works aboard (high up) advised us to find a place ourselves - and they'd reimburse (it is in their policy). I quickly got online and searched a few places, contacted them, told them we were positive and asymptomatic and needed to quarantine for 5-10 days, could they accept us, handle deliveries to the room, etc.  All said yes, so we went with the best fit, a Residence Inn with one bedroom suite, kitchen, windows that opened, etc.  They took delivery for groceries and actually brought them to the room door (instead of us having to go get them from the lobby), etc.  It worked quite well. .

All in all, we've been quite satisfied with how princess has handled the entire process. No complaints at all..

So, how long did you have to quarantine at the hotel?  At least 5 days and a negative test?  If you’re still positive at

5 days, then another 5?  Did you do your own testing?  Or, did you have to do proctored tests?  
Were you able to fly after a negative test

of only 5 days in quarantine?

Sorry I have so me many questions, but trying to find out our options on 5 b2b’s and a possibility of a positive in between,

because of omicron.

At he time we tested positive, quarantine was 10 days, recommended by CDC, WHO, PAHO, etc. As we were in the US, we went by CDC guidelines at the time. Plus our government requires 10 days if asymptomatic along with recovery letter with info that we completed quarantine should we test positive before returning home. Our gov't follows PAHO, WHO, ECDC standards..

We did all 10 days. We stepoed out of the room to a picnic table right down the back stair case each if the last 5 days for some sunshine and more fresh air - completely touch free to get in and out if the hotel and rooms, wore our mask in the hallway, etc. .  Not a problem at all. 

We tested with a self test - it's not required at the end of quarantine, but recommended. We did so as we had further travels we'd have to postpone if positive.. we've had 3 negative tests and counting so far, another test this his Friday to enter the US, then again next week to board a cruise. Then again 4 days later as part of back to back, and again 5 days later to go home! Lol.. not particularly concerned with any of them at this point..  

It was a very easy and smooth process. We've had our contact email for follow up to submit receipts for reimbursement of "reasonable" expenses, ie food while in quarantine, etc.  We'll get that sent in this weekend...

Safe travels all..

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

At he time we tested positive, quarantine was 10 days, recommended by CDC, WHO, PAHO, etc. As we were in the US, we went by CDC guidelines at the time. Plus our government requires 10 days if asymptomatic along with recovery letter with info that we completed quarantine should we test positive before returning home. Our gov't follows PAHO, WHO, ECDC standards..

We did all 10 days. We stepoed out of the room to a picnic table right down the back stair case each if the last 5 days for some sunshine and more fresh air - completely touch free to get in and out if the hotel and rooms, wore our mask in the hallway, etc. .  Not a problem at all. 

We tested with a self test - it's not required at the end of quarantine, but recommended. We did so as we had further travels we'd have to postpone if positive.. we've had 3 negative tests and counting so far, another test this his Friday to enter the US, then again next week to board a cruise. Then again 4 days later as part of back to back, and again 5 days later to go home! Lol.. not particularly concerned with any of them at this point..  

It was a very easy and smooth process. We've had our contact email for follow up to submit receipts for reimbursement of "reasonable" expenses, ie food while in quarantine, etc.  We'll get that sent in this weekend...

Safe travels all..

Thank you so much for your reply.  Hopefully, we won’t have to do this.

Thinking ahead.

Take care and stay safe, as well!

On 1/3/2022 at 4:30 PM, roysue said:

I have an upcoming cruise aboard the Enchanted Princess.  If I need to be quarantined due to a positive covid test or exposure, will I be able to remain in my cabin, or moved to a quarantine  area?  I know its weird but I think I could tolerate being quarantined in my balcony cabin but I would hate to be moved, especially if its inside.

just got off the Grand today, was tested a few days ago because I had a sore throat, because the test was negative I was able to remain in my room in isolation for 24 hours until they got another negative test, if it had been positive I would have been moved to the deck (Aloha) with the quarantine rooms (I believe they were only using balconies)...my sister (cabin mate was also tested & since she was negative with no symptoms she was able to be out & about...when they came for the 2nd test the medic said she knew that I had tested negative because I was still in our balcony room. I was told (not by crew) that they have put special air handlers on the Aloha deck for quarantine. One passenger on social media said his wife who tested negative was given the option to stay free or quarantine with him when he tested negative. They have a special team to clean quarantine rooms.

• Thanks 1

just read te whole thread & will answer a few other questions: currently at least on the Grand they are no longer doing contact tracing except the cabinmate (per the medic that did my first nose & throat swabs...so he didn't even want to know about her husband who was with us but in his own cabin...even though we were unmasked when the cabins together). They will allow you to order from the dining room or specialty dining rooms. They disembark quarantine passengers separately (I did not find out if it was before or after, because before they gave me the details I tested negative again & was set free). Each time they got the test results they talked to the doctor who made a final decision (there was some question if I would be free  with a 2nd negative because I still had a sore throat but fortunately I was). I think that's all I know. We were the 1st Hawai'i cruise so testing 2-3 days after sailing caught a number of positives, the canceled the test that was scheduled for the trip home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2022 at 10:56 PM, reedprincess said:

Did you notice any hotels with a balcony that were available?  My DH is claustrophobic and would need a balcony.

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

Did you notice any hotels with a balcony that were available?  My DH is claustrophobic and would need a balcony.

Not sure where you are cruising, but in Europe you go where the authorities tell you. There is no choice.

22 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Not sure where you are cruising, but in Europe you go where the authorities tell you. There is no choice.

Yes, I’m aware the rules are totally different in the EU and other areas.

I was asking Reedprincess as she was

in the US when tested positive.