Onboard Riviera Jan. 4

Nymich

NYmich, again I want to thank you for your excellent reporting.  It makes missing the cruise a little better.

If possible, can you tell me who the Maitre D’s are in Polo and Toscana?  We have our favorites that we’ve gotten to know over our 12 cruises, and we are wondering if they’re are back.  We’re especially interested in Ante from Croatia.  We had the pleasure of meeting his lovely wife on our last cruise.  Truly a wonderful  couple. Also, Elaine, a head sommelier.  

Thanks so much. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kitty9 said:

NYmich, again I want to thank you for your excellent reporting.  It makes missing the cruise a little better.

If possible, can you tell me who the Maitre D’s are in Polo and Toscana?  We have our favorites that we’ve gotten to know over our 12 cruises, and we are wondering if they’re are back.  We’re especially interested in Ante from Croatia.  We had the pleasure of meeting his lovely wife on our last cruise.  Truly a wonderful  couple. Also, Elaine, a head sommelier.  

Thanks so much. 

Polo-Nicolae

Toscana -Andre

I had no clue...... in my cabin so I called!

• Like 1

On 1/8/2022 at 1:21 PM, Nymich said:

When I went into this I thought about things like this and thought why not give them the documents I am getting and report the processes and what it's really like? I might be able to help a few people.  It makes me happy to read that it is helping.  You are most welcome 🙂 as I type this here is my view....

16416768819146462516667203336274.jpg

This is Sint Eustatius. The peak on the right is the Quill, a dormant volcano. Also known as Statia, and it is Dutch.

gary

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Nymich said:

I kind of understand the predicament that O is in.  The islands are readjusting to deal with all this and it makes it real tough for O to pick or stick to any schedule.  On a plus side we are 3 for 3 so far on this revamped itinerary.  It has given us a chance to hit the beach and stretch our legs.

Things will look much different by 2/7 as a month is a long time right now.  In which direction?  I have no idea but they will be alot different imo.

We last cruised 11/21 and this is a alot different from 5-6 weeks ago.  I think O is doing all they can do but are at the mercy of the local island governments.

Yes, O is at the mercy of local island governments and scrambling to make other arrangements.  I agree a month out can look quite different. Glad your itinerary has been stable and beach time enjoyed.  Goodnight 💤 

• Like 1

From the Deck 12 pool screen leaving the southernmost point of this cruise heading towards St. Thomas. 

I was just reading a bunch of not so good covid cruise news but so far Oceania Riviera Crew continue to work the protocols to the best of their ability. Imo

I get it though.......things can change fast.  

20220109_202800.jpg

On 1/6/2022 at 9:05 PM, AlexCherie said:

BTW, who cares that they have your bags? I was pleasantly surprised that they were going to help us get home, every step of the way. SMH. I just don’t know what folks expect out of a cruise line.

If you test positive and they've already loaded your luggage you might have to wait a long time before you see your bags again. It was a reasonable question. A gentle reminder: if "I just don't know" was meant to be snide, I think that's generally frowned on and you should try to avoid it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, flaminkokid said:

If you test positive and they've already loaded your luggage you might have to wait a long time before you see your bags again. It was a reasonable question. A gentle reminder: if "I just don't know" was meant to be snide, I think that's generally frowned on and you should try to avoid it. 

Yes they held our bags why we tested because I saw them on the sidewalk when I went in and when I came back.  I was concerned about that after having worked in the airline industry we lost many a bag!  Sorry all!  😀

14 hours ago, gtaylor said:

This is Sint Eustatius. The peak on the right is the Quill, a dormant volcano. Also known as Statia, and it is Dutch.

gary

Thanks for this information, Gary. Now that we have cancelled our long-anticipated Riviera cruise embarking Friday morning, January 14, I am enjoying the only way I can tour the Caribbean this winter on Riviera, via Nymich’s wonderful informative thread.

And thanks to Nymich for making this past crummy week so much better for me mentally.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, jawsbad said:

DJust starting to pack for 1/14 cruise.  My husband wants to know if any of the men are wearing jackets to dinner in the main dining room or specialty restaurants?

I saw many wearing a jacket to both (even a very few that wore one to Terrace for dinner), but many also not wearing them.  This was on the 12/23 cruise.

6 minutes ago, jawsbad said:

DJust starting to pack for 1/14 cruise.  My husband wants to know if any of the men are wearing jackets to dinner in the main dining room or specialty restaurants?

There are always several men in specialty restaurants who still wear jackets. Majority don’t. However, your husband will be dressed properly with or without a jacket….he should do what he prefers.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jawsbad said:

Spouse packed his blue blazer for our very first Oceania cruise, Istanbul to Athens, in 2008; never packed one since then (12 Oceania cruises so far and wanting lucky #13 ASAP, although no longer booked for Riviera Caribbean departure this Friday.) He wears a long-sleeved dress shirt for all dinners. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jawsbad said:

I haven't seen any jackets but I have not really been looking.  I would guess a very small percentage.  Ship hasn't been cold enough either for me to wish I had brought one.

So I have been holding back on this post.  We are booked to continue on in the same cabin on the 1/14 cruise but we have the option to get off and do the FCC shuffle.  Due to the protocols (which seem to be working) we are leaning towards staying on but we will make final decision in the next day or two.

2 minutes ago, Nymich said:

So I have been holding back on this post.  We are booked to continue on in the same cabin on the 1/14 cruise but we have the option to get off and do the FCC shuffle.  Due to the protocols (which seem to be working) we are leaning towards staying on but we will make final decision in the next day or two.

I hope you stay.  Where you actually given an option?  Was it from your TA or Oceania directly?  When does the FCC need to be used?

We were never presented an option, but we understand that our TA could have attempted to negotiate one for us.  Just curious has unless we test positive or Oceania cancels the 1/14 cruise we are going.

Best of luck in making the right decision for the two of you.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nymich said:

All the best making that decision.  I want to add my thank you, as I  have so enjoyed your very informative, in real time reporting, such a  gift to those of us with cruises several months out, who are so missing the Oceania experience, but especially for those that are just days away from sailing.  Selfishly, I hope you choose to continue, but whatever you decide, know that you have done a very generous thing with your vacation time!!

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

I hope you stay.  Where you actually given an option?  Was it from your TA or Oceania directly?  When does the FCC need to be used?

We were never presented an option, but we understand that our TA could have attempted to negotiate one for us.  Just curious has unless we test positive or Oceania cancels the 1/14 cruise we are going.

Best of luck in making the right decision for the two of you.  

Our TA let us know after I talked to him on the 4th before we left Miami.  If we choose to cancel we have to cruise by 3/31/23 and pay the difference.

We have other cruises booked in the next 14 months so we really want to stay on.  Besides........the food is great!