mini-live from the Grand Princess: first Hawaiian sailing post covid--Jan 4-19, 2022

travelin.sisters

23 hours ago, travelin.sisters said:

I hope they got you a cabin that fits your needs! 

I walked the stairs to the Aloha deck both fore & aft & both sides are closed off by the fire doors with signs saying area closed/restricted zone so it seems as if they are using a section between fire doors? 

I first want to say how much I am enjoying all the photos.  They are terrific!  Thank you for posting those.

As for us, our two cruises are back to back and we are still trying to work out a solution that puts us back in a balcony for our whole trip.

I am not surprised that the fire doors are closing off the Aloha deck--seems the best way to isolate the quarantine areas.  This is why I don't understand why they would take our port side cabin.  That cabin opens up to the lobby of the forward elevators.  Unless one was added, that mid-forward lobby area is not closed off by a fire door.  When you go forward up the hall a few cabins, there is a fire door.  So I would understand if they take the Caribe deck area closed off by the fire door for quarantine, but it makes no sense in areas that are not behind a fire door.  (Apparently they are not taking any of the starboard cabins and not all of the port side cabins). I wonder if there is a sign now on the Grand's Aloha deck in the forward elevators lobby closing off the floor? 

Edited by montgomeryfamily

5 hours ago, travelin.sisters said:

I am wondering what the full  price was once onboard? Ours ended up as a $10/day for 4 devices after the half back (would have been $5/day for 1 device) was that the same price once onboard? Thanks, I purchased ahead because I thought it was more once onboard but would be good to know for the next time.

It was $187.50 on board for 4 devices for 15 nights.

Edited by UT-Volsfan
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, UT-Volsfan said:

It was $187.50 on board for 4 devices for 15 nights.

Thank you, a little more than the approx $150 we paid but not much & certainly worth it if you have a lot of shipboard credit...it has been so confusing trying to follow the many threads about pre-ordering v. on board & discount for platinum/elite...

3 hours ago, montgomeryfamily said:

I first want to say how much I am enjoying all the photos.  They are terrific!  Thank you for posting those.

As for us, our two cruises are back to back and we are still trying to work out a solution that puts us back in a balcony for our whole trip.

I am not surprised that the fire doors are closing off the Aloha deck--seems the best way to isolate the quarantine areas.  This is why I don't understand why they would take our port side cabin.  That cabin opens up to the lobby of the forward elevators.  Unless one was added, that mid-forward lobby area is not closed off by a fire door.  When you go forward up the hall a few cabins, there is a fire door.  So I would understand if they take the Caribe deck area closed off by the fire door for quarantine, but it makes no sense in areas that are not behind a fire door.  (Apparently they are not taking any of the starboard cabins and not all of the port side cabins). I wonder if there is a sign now on the Grand's Aloha deck in the forward elevators lobby closing off the floor? 

the fire doors are between the elevator/stair lobby & the hallway so both forward & aft you can use the stairs but you can't exit that lobby to the hallway on either side...I think there must be doors on all levels at between the elevator area & the halls that we have never noticed? 

Love seeing Hawaii pics; all the islands have something different to display.  And it's nice seeing people walking around in shorts and tshirts; I live in Ohio and we are in artic gear right now.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

Love seeing Hawaii pics; all the islands have something different to display.  And it's nice seeing people walking around in shorts and tshirts; I live in Ohio and we are in artic gear right now.  

Who Dey Bengals !!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, travelin.sisters said:

Thank you, a little more than the approx $150 we paid but not much & certainly worth it if you have a lot of shipboard credit...it has been so confusing trying to follow the many threads about pre-ordering v. on board & discount for platinum/elite...

Agree.   I too thank you all.  We will purchase pre-cruise. One more thing to get done early.

• Like 1

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions!  It is appreciated!  I was wondering if in Honolulu the local dance school came aboard to do their show?  The kids are always so cute.  Thanks again, Judy

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ubu said:

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions!  It is appreciated!  I was wondering if in Honolulu the local dance school came aboard to do their show?  The kids are always so cute.  Thanks again, Judy

Sorry to report they did not come aboard this cruise.  We always enjoyed them on previous cruises.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, travelin.sisters said:

the fire doors are between the elevator/stair lobby & the hallway so both forward & aft you can use the stairs but you can't exit that lobby to the hallway on either side...I think there must be doors on all levels at between the elevator area & the halls that we have never noticed? 

Yes, you must be right.  Thank you for letting me know this.  I guess this may Princess' plans.  However, if they close those fire doors, the Caribe port forward cabins must also be part of the quarantine because the access to the forward elevators/stairs is necessary for those cabins occupants to be able to leave the floor.  But I know that some of the inside forward port Caribe deck inside cabins are booked--we have some friends who are booked in three of those cabins.  I need to call them to suggest they contact Princess now rather than finding they have been moved to a less desirable cabin when they get onboard.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Agreed. Wonderful photos!!😃

• Like 1

For passengers on board the Grand Princess returning to San Pedro:

San Francisco tested on embarkation day for the Ruby voyage to Hawaii today.

Holland America tested in San Diego on Koningsdam on embarkation day to Hawaii today.

January 19 passengers say they haven't received word for San Pedro.

This is a big mystery to me since I have not heard a word on Oahu/State regarding mandatory testing embarkation day of passengers cruising to Hawaii.  Port Agreement did not mention testing embarkation day.  It does mention testing on the way over.

I am trying to be fair to the State of Hawaii that testing on embarkation day is a mandate from the state.  I know there are a lot of discussion about a booster required to be "fully vaccinated" but that has not been announced....YET.  Trying to sort through who is responsible for requiring the test to board before leaving.

If anyone on current cruise can find out and confirm informaition, that would be most useful.

Mahalo Nui Loa

• Like 3

I want to say I enjoyed looking at your pictures & reading about your experiences.  Congratulations on being the first ship back to the islands.   I say this with being a little (maybe a lot) jealous & tear in my eye.   We were SUPPOSED to be on the first cruise ship back to Hawaii—- on November 5, 2021– which we all know was canceled.  This was a trip, to celebrate our retirement (husband/myself) plus our friends 50th wedding anniversary.    Maybe someday we can go on the cruise.  
Glad you all got to go.  Aloha!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Momperson3 said:

I want to say I enjoyed looking at your pictures & reading about your experiences.  Congratulations on being the first ship back to the islands.   I say this with being a little (maybe a lot) jealous & tear in my eye.   We were SUPPOSED to be on the first cruise ship back to Hawaii—- on November 5, 2021– which we all know was canceled.  This was a trip, to celebrate our retirement (husband/myself) plus our friends 50th wedding anniversary.    Maybe someday we can go on the cruise.  
Glad you all got to go.  Aloha!!!!

I do hope you get to make the cruise when everything is open & in full swing...I am sad for you that your cruise was canceled hopefully the photos & stories will make you & your friends consider rebooking once things are up & fully open...it is a wonderful cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

THREE MORE SEA DAYS (DAYS 10 TO 12)

Thursday morning, we were back to sea day activities…we got up early to get tickets for flower lei making. Flower lei making with Natalie was great. We really appreciate that they do tickets for the activities that will get full & break them into groups; we have been on ships where they just make people wait in long lines to try & get a space, which have led to very angry passengers. Natalie is a great instructor & so very organized!

‘Ukulele & hula classes resumed with Tiki Dave & Leialoha as well as the Enrichment Talks. We have really appreciated that the enrichment & port talks are available on the TV later as there are many activities (or naps) at the same time as these. There had been Naturalist Talks & Production Shows on the Journey View (app) schedule but they have been removed so we are enjoying what is available

Thursday was our second formal night & a chance to wear our flower leis. We had formal night photos taken to use the free print from our TA. There are way fewer photos being taken on this ship…one place on arrival but none getting on & off at our ports of call & none wandering around the dining rooms during meals. They are offering a free, no obligation photo session where a photographer will take you or your group around the ship & take photos.

For dinner, they served the much awaited (not by me as I am allergic) & tiny lobster (my sister had both the lobster & the steak…a do-it-yourself surf & turf & my brother had 2 lobster dinners…for those who have not sailed Princess before they do not just add an extra lobster to a dinner, they send an entire extra entrée, so they both ended up with two dinner plates to get what they wanted). After dinner, I watched my first Movie Under the Stars (after many cruises…always something new to try). The wind made it feel cold even with the provided blanket, which sadly is not long enough to cover both toes (I’m a California girl, sandals are my footwear of choice) & shoulders at the same time unless you curl up but it was a fun experience.

Friday was supposed to be our second COVID test but we were notified earlier in the cruise that they would no longer be doing these so it was just a normal sea day. Moving slowly but steadily toward home. Caught up on some enrichment talks we had missed, ate, rested, ate some more. We were happy to see our original waiter Francisco back after five days…we were told he was covering different venues during that time & we had three different waiters. Tony his assistant took good care of us while he was gone sharing our preferences with each new waiter but together, they are a great team. There has been a lot of shuffling of dining room staff this cruise, we have had three different head waiters to assist with allergy special orders which is very unusual when dining in the same place at the same time each night. Sometime during the night, we must have encountered tsunami waves but didn’t feel anything.

Saturday, we enjoyed another craft class with Natalie and in the evening the Captain’s Circle Cocktail Party for Platinum & Elite members. The captain shared that there were 320-some first time Princess cruisers on this sailing, which was a little surprising to me. They also announced the most sailed guests with the couple with the most days having sailed 2045 days! Dinner was at Sabatini’s thanks to our Travel Agent. We had never dined there & it was delightful!

It has been quite calm & thus far warmer than going to Hawai’i on our trip back & we are looking forward two more relaxing sea days & Ensenada (no plans to go anywhere there) before returning home to San Pedro.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

Sabbatini's sure gives you lots of food.  Thanks for sharing your food pics

an enormous amount of food!...wonderful bread & a prosciutto & zonzelle (fried dough puffs) plate with a dipping sauce to share, an antipasti, soup or salad, a pasta course, a main dish (if you order the baked pasta trio, the the pasta & the main dish are combined), & a gorgeous dessert. I didn't have room for all my chocolate dessert...unheard of (but maybe due to the extra rosemary buttered sourdough roll).

• Thanks 1