Covid tests

dw64

If it is a "proctored"  otherwise known as a medically observed test then it is allowed but if it is not then the answer would be no.  See below which is taken from the FAQ's page at the Princess website regarding self tests.

"Vaccinated guests may use a medically observed self-test (sometimes referred to as home test) that meets the following criteria:

• The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Please note, antigen tests are accepted for fully vaccinated guests, but not for unvaccinated guests.
  • The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.
  • The telehealth provider must confirm the person’s identity, observe the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of acceptable proof of a negative COVID-19 test.

Princess has partnered with Optum so that U.S.-based vaccinated guests can order an FDA-authorized at-home antigen test kit, shipped to your door in 3 business days or less. These at-home tests include a personal virtually video-supervised visit with an eMed Certified Guide through telehealth services. These guides will help you properly administer the test and verify the results, within 15 minutes. The lab result report is delivered via email and can be printed or displayed on your mobile device during check-in. Please place your order with enough time to be shipped prior to your boarding. Order your test kit online."

• Thanks 1

Ordered for a back up for our Nov 28 cruise.    Was suppose to  be delivered 2 days ago.   Tracking now says delayed with no new shipping date    Appears to having been shipped from Cal. to Tenn.    I’m in N.Y. 🤔

• Haha 1

I used the proctored test for my September 5 sailing. The self test you can buy at the pharmacy is not allowed, but the proctored self test you can buy from eMed and Optum is allowed.

The testing was relatively easy to accomplish, but I recommend setting up your Navica account in advance of when you want to take the test (perhaps a day or two before) so that's one less stressor on the day you want to test. I would also recommend having an extra test because some people have reported the liquid being empty in their test. I believe you could get a refund or replacement in that instance, but that won't help you in the moment. Make sure you are very careful as you are completing your steps and take your time; there are no instructions on the box--the directions will be on the device you are using (ideally, something with a large screen like a computer or tablet). It would probably be easiest to have a desk/table to set everything out on that will be able to be viewed by the proctor via your camera. I received my results nearly immediately and had no trouble boarding (I printed out the PDF from my email and had the app result ready just in case). Good luck and bon voyage!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, negn said:

Ordered for a back up for our Nov 28 cruise.    Was suppose to  be delivered 2 days ago.   Tracking now says delayed with no new shipping date    Appears to having been shipped from Cal. to Tenn.    I’m in N.Y. 🤔

Not specifically topic related, but I gotta say I feel your pain! I mailed small envelope to Michigan from Florida…tracking 3 days later showed it in Spokane, Washington. It finally arrived at destination 10 days later. Hope you receive your pkg soon!

21 hours ago, negn said:

FedEx has major hub and HQ in Memphis.  Lots of packages probably transfer through there.

• Like 1

Steps/suggestions for using the BinaxNOW home kit. 

1) Purchase the RX kits NOT the OTC type.

We got ours from EMed - available in two and six packs.  They are registered to individuals at purchase.

The six pack can be registered to up to three individuals. Cost is $25/test plus S&H 

2) Download the NAVICA app and create accounts for each person who will be using the tests.

3) Login to EMed when ready to take the test.

-You must be set up so they can see you and the test kit so have a flat surface within your device camera range.

- You will need personal identification available for them to view

- Wash and dry your hands before starting

- They will ask you to enter your NAVICA login information. (EMed does the proctoring and reports the results to you on the NAVICA app and by email.) 

-  Once all other questions are answered and you click that you are ready, a proctor comes on.  We were each "Next in line" but some people report a short wait before starting.

4) Answer the proctors questions about your identification and they will have you hold up your ID for verification  Then you will open the test kit and hold up the card so they can scan the barcode to be sure it has been previously registered to you. Follow their directions for applying drops to test well, swabbing your nose and inserting swab into kit. Close the kit cover and the clock starts.  You do not have to be in camera sight but Do Not move the kit.

5) In 15 minutes an "alarm" sounds and you check back in.  The kit is held up for scanning/reading

and they will then ask you to verify which bar/s you see.  Results are immediately reported to the NAVICA app.

There are Youtube videos available which show all this but this is it in a nutshell.  Easy once you know what's involved.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I don't know about other states, but I picked up four of the Binaxnow at home tests free of charge at our local library.   They are just like the ones in the link above where you have to use the Navica app.  They were made available through the Ohio Department of Health.  I haven't needed to use them and picked them up only because we were attending an out of state wedding (it was our son's so we couldn't really miss it!) and wanted to be covered in case just in case.  

2 hours ago, pompeii said:

I don't know about other states, but I picked up four of the Binaxnow at home tests free of charge at our local library.   They are just like the ones in the link above where you have to use the Navica app.  They were made available through the Ohio Department of Health.  I haven't needed to use them and picked them up only because we were attending an out of state wedding (it was our son's so we couldn't really miss it!) and wanted to be covered in case just in case.  

Beware, there are 2 types of Binaxnow home kits. The ones you can use for cruises have an "RX Only" notation on the lower left side of the box and a wrap around the box that says DO NOT OPEN. 

45 minutes ago, Dawniepoo said:

Beware, there are 2 types of Binaxnow home kits. The ones you can use for cruises have an "RX Only" notation on the lower left side of the box and a wrap around the box that says DO NOT OPEN. 

Good advice.  This is the one I received free from the library and under the "do not open" sleeve it has the words Ag Card.   It is the one approved for travel.  It also came with a flyer with instructions to go to emed.com before taking the test.  I only mention checking with your department of health as an alternative to ordering the tests because you might be able to pick one up at your neighborhood library or other convenient place.image.thumb.png.f01e25f2a9bdb23dc646ec4d49a4a98b.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, jkrislc said:

Be aware of the posted expiration dates when you purchase. The tests currently expire on December 12, 2021 and that's inclusive of the 3-month extension approved by the FDA.

Yes, I just ordered one a couple of days ago and with the extended expiration date, it’s only good through Dec 8th.  What a joke!  

• Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 9:48 AM, dw64 said:

Anyone experience using the BinaxNOW kit & boarding a Princess ship. The self kit. 

Boarding in late Dec. Just curious, if this self kit allowed. 

I found my answer.  I have the  cheapy version from Sam's. Not able to have observation.. Thanks for all the answers.

Does anyone know if there will be BinaxNOW kits for use after Dec. 12?    We are scheduled for a Jan. 6 departure.  I haven't been able to find anywhere to get test results back within 2 days around here, so am depending on BinaxNOW.   I also hate to be dealing with the mail during the holiday season, so would like to order sooner rather than later....

1 hour ago, Cabernetlover said:

Does anyone know if there will be BinaxNOW kits for use after Dec. 12?    We are scheduled for a Jan. 6 departure.  I haven't been able to find anywhere to get test results back within 2 days around here, so am depending on BinaxNOW.   I also hate to be dealing with the mail during the holiday season, so would like to order sooner rather than later....

I ordered this morning for our January cruise. The eMed website said the tests I ordered were good through at least February 1, 2022. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cabernetlover said:

The ones I ordered in August expire in January based on the 3-month expiration extension. It's good the website is telling you the expiration now, according to @Colorado Coasty. I ordered mine through Optum right before the cruise line partnership, but Abbott has had plenty of time to ramp up production at this point (due to the increased demand). I was also dealing with a holiday and a lack of rapid testing nearby--this was a great solution for me and sounds like it would be for you also. Good luck!

We are here in FL now and took the tests in our hotel room. The entire process took about 20-25 minutes and was as easy as pie. They have a well-organized online system and it was very easy to follow along. We were both negative and received easy-to-read documentation on the NAVICA app as well as via email. 

cruise time! 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, jenndisney said:

We ordered one kit for us to take. But now worried that it only registered to me. I am just confused as the website did not indicate we each had to order. Can anyone here clarify?

As long as you both make profiles through the Navica App you should be fine 

Edited by Jadn13

11 hours ago, Cabernetlover said:

Emed has the 6 pack with a Feb expiration

https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack?hsLang=en

Edited by Jadn13

2 hours ago, Stevie17 said:

I just ordered our Six Pack testing kits from Emed yesterday for our January 2nd cruise. The expiration date is now February 2022 at the earliest, so this option is now a "safe" one for those with early 2022 cruises. 

Thanks.  Optum is still showing December 17, 2021 as the earliest expiration dates for their tests, so maybe they'll get some "new" stock soon.