Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

17 hours ago, Expo67 said:

I second that. 👍 If the cruise lines ever wish to crawl out of this without selling off more of their fleets then they need to stop the testing and treat the cases as they arise and just quarantine people in their own staterooms. My thought is if they did so then they numbers onboard would drop because people would not fear going to medical and would go just as they do for other medical issues like Noro, etc.

Yup, it's just common sense 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tedferg said:

We sail in Sep this year. I recently had covid, symptoms just like a mild head cold. fully vaccinated and boosted. Still testing positive after ten days. I have a letter from my Dr. that states I had Covid on June 19, am fully recovered and points out that PCR can still test positive for 90 days.

I do not have original test showing positive. Will this be a problem? I do plan to take Antigen test.

I did not notice the 'or' in Princess requirements. So it is a positive Test less than 90 days ago 'OR' document from health official. I thought it was 'both'.

I just checked and Princess out of Southampton is no longer offering an "at embarkation" test option of $60 pp like they previously had in their Health and safety.  So now you have to test prior to arriving.  No long can we opt to test at the dock.  Figures they would change it. 

I am arriving in UK on Sept 2nd for Sept 6th cruise out of Southampton.Cannot be tested in US.and if I cannot be tested at dock,where do I go.?We will be in London for three days and one in Southampton. I do not want to bring a test with me and deal with dropped cell calls/ wifi.Any ideas?

2 hours ago, JABTPS said:

I just checked and Princess out of Southampton is no longer offering an "at embarkation" test option of $60 pp like they previously had in their Health and safety.  So now you have to test prior to arriving.  No long can we opt to test at the dock.  Figures they would change it. 

Thanks for confirming this. I was looking for it yesterday and didn't find it either. I thought maybe I just was missing it somehow.  Guess I'll have to find someplace else to test ...or the even better thing would be if they change their requirements before August so I don't have to test at all!  🤞

was just checking Walgreens website and now there will be a charge for testing if you don't meet certain medical necessity guidelines and they are still only posting available times 3 days out -  I went ahead and scheduled tests at a lab for $69 just in case Walgreens stops doing the tests.  Getting harder to get all ducks in a row for cruising right now.

44 minutes ago, chipchop5 said:

was just checking Walgreens website and now there will be a charge for testing if you don't meet certain medical necessity guidelines and they are still only posting available times 3 days out -  I went ahead and scheduled tests at a lab for $69 just in case Walgreens stops doing the tests.  Getting harder to get all ducks in a row for cruising right now.

We need a test for a 15 Aug cruise and hoping that the testing will be dropped but not holding our breath for that to happen.  Walgreens was our go to place for testing.   What lab will you use?  Is  it a local one?  I called LabCorp and they are not doing testing..    

4 hours ago, Tedferg said:

I did not notice the 'or' in Princess requirements. So it is a positive Test less than 90 days ago 'OR' document from health official. I thought it was 'both'.

I wish I could find out from someone 'official' or someone who has done this. I have the tests. Working on the letters which I think I'll get anyway. Sigh. The whole thing is one big headache. 

We’re arriving in in the UK on 27July and embarking on Princess Emerald 1Aug.  We will have to take a test in Southampton the day before embarkation.  Does anyone know a place there where we can get a test and results back in time?

2 hours ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

Thanks for confirming this. I was looking for it yesterday and didn't find it either. I thought maybe I just was missing it somehow.  Guess I'll have to find someplace else to test ...or the even better thing would be if they change their requirements before August so I don't have to test at all!  🤞

It seems it's getting harder and harder to follow the protocols. And now Walgreens and CVS are charging in many cases.   
We're really trying Princess, but it's not easy out there!

I got an email today concerning our October sailing and it seems the protocols are remaining the same....at least for now.

Edited by suzyed

1 hour ago, takemeaway2008 said:

I wish I could find out from someone 'official' or someone who has done this. I have the tests. Working on the letters which I think I'll get anyway. Sigh. The whole thing is one big headache. 

It is a documented positive result within the last 90 days.  You can test the 2-3 days before boarding but it may still be positive.  In this case you will have a secondary screening by medical onboard and if you are at least 10 days past your positive test  you may be able to board.....hard to understand.....here...check this out:

What if I had COVID-19 and recovered, but still test positive? Will I still be able to travel?

Exceptions may apply for asymptomatic guests who have tested positive for COVID-19 within three months of their embarkation if they are at least 10 days past their COVID-19 infection, are fully recovered with no symptoms and produce documentation of recovery from COVID-19 infection.

Documentation of Recovery consists of the following:

• Paper or electronic copies of the positive viral test result from a certified laboratory (dated no more than 90 days ago) or
  • A valid digital COVID-19 certificate (DCC) or a document issued by an official health or government authority showing confirmed previous infection.

Guests who present these documents will need to go through a secondary screening at the terminal, and boarding will be approved at the medical staff’s discretion.

Edited by suzyed

9 minutes ago, suzyed said:

It is a documented positive result within the last 90 days.  You can test the 2-3 days before boarding but it may still be positive.  In this case you will have a secondary screening by medical onboard and if you are at least 10 days past your positive test  you may be able to board.....hard to understand.....here...check this out:

What if I had COVID-19 and recovered, but still test positive? Will I still be able to travel?

Exceptions may apply for asymptomatic guests who have tested positive for COVID-19 within three months of their embarkation if they are at least 10 days past their COVID-19 infection, are fully recovered with no symptoms and produce documentation of recovery from COVID-19 infection.

Documentation of Recovery consists of the following:

• Paper or electronic copies of the positive viral test result from a certified laboratory (dated no more than 90 days ago) or
  • A valid digital COVID-19 certificate (DCC) or a document issued by an official health or government authority showing confirmed previous infection.

Guests who present these documents will need to go through a secondary screening at the terminal, and boarding will be approved at the medical staff’s discretion.

I've read this many, many times. According to this, all I need is printed documents of our positive tests. It's still a huge gamble and it's making me sweat. We qualify for all these things. I just need some reassurance from someone who is actually done it. I'm making everyone around me crazy. It sucked getting Covid but for this I can use it to my advantage (no other testing...)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, takemeaway2008 said:

I've read this many, many times. According to this, all I need is printed documents of our positive tests. It's still a huge gamble and it's making me sweat. We qualify for all these things. I just need some reassurance from someone who is actually done it. I'm making everyone around me crazy. It sucked getting Covid but for this I can use it to my advantage (no other testing...)

It wouldn't hurt to test in the 2-3 day window and if you're negative, it's all a moot point.  If still positive than you will have to go the other route with the paper work.

We'll get back to you on this....when do you sail?

12 minutes ago, suzyed said:

It wouldn't hurt to test in the 2-3 day window and if you're negative, it's all a moot point.  If still positive than you will have to go the other route with the paper work.

We'll get back to you on this....when do you sail?

I have antigen tests scheduled, currently still free. Well, they bill our insurance. I'm getting home tests soon in the mail shortly so we can do a precheck. 

Sail on July 23. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tedferg said:

We sail in Sep this year. I recently had covid, symptoms just like a mild head cold. fully vaccinated and boosted. Still testing positive after ten days. I have a letter from my Dr. that states I had Covid on June 19, am fully recovered and points out that PCR can still test positive for 90 days.

I do not have original test showing positive. Will this be a problem? I do plan to take Antigen test.

Good chance that the antigen test will be negative.  Wish you luck. 

1 hour ago, suzyed said:

It seems it's getting harder and harder to follow the protocols. And now Walgreens and CVS are charging in many cases.   
We're really trying Princess, but it's not easy out there!

I got an email today concerning our October sailing and it seems the protocols are remaining the same....at least for now.

One of the problems is that if you have a mild case of Covid, you may test negative, especially using the antigen test.  In addition, Princess requires testing within 3 days of sailing, which means that individuals who were tested negative, have 2-3 days to actually become positive.

All of this suggests that a simple health screening at times of check in would be far better than Covid testing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 47librarian said:

I am arriving in UK on Sept 2nd for Sept 6th cruise out of Southampton.Cannot be tested in US.and if I cannot be tested at dock,where do I go.?We will be in London for three days and one in Southampton. I do not want to bring a test with me and deal with dropped cell calls/ wifi.Any ideas?

6 hours ago, Hrondavis said:

We’re arriving in in the UK on 27July and embarking on Princess Emerald 1Aug.  We will have to take a test in Southampton the day before embarkation.  Does anyone know a place there where we can get a test and results back in time?

There are video options  that may or may not work depending on timings(deliver the test to the hotel).

If using a US test and the wifi in the hotel is a bit flaky the Standing Order pub has good wifi  and can find a quiet corner to poke your nose, then have a beer while waiting .

The main shopping centre is West Quay mall(you can't miss it) walking distance of all the central hotels, there is a by appointment that do antigen tests for £39

https://www.theregenerativeclinic.co.uk/southampton-covid-19-rapid-antigen-test-appointment-booking/

Dam health is cheaper but not as convenient for those without transport. 

Lloyds and Boots pharmacies also do tests but best to check the individual pharmacy close the date.

Loads more option in London,  if one of these near you(one in Marylebone) they are probably the cheapest.

https://conceptoclinic.co.uk/book-antigen-test/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

All of this suggests that a simple health screening at times of check in would be far better than Covid testing.

So, instead of testing, you think that they could simply do a health screening?  Pre covid we had health questions to fill out, as we do today on the App.  The problem is that a lot of folks lie just to get on, even if sick.  How would they do a simple health screening?  TIA

• Like 1

12 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

We need a test for a 15 Aug cruise and hoping that the testing will be dropped but not holding our breath for that to happen.  Walgreens was our go to place for testing.   What lab will you use?  Is  it a local one?  I called LabCorp and they are not doing testing..    

I spoke to my local walk in clinic - MedExpress - they do the tests and bill the insurance co.

54 minutes ago, MixerDave said:

I spoke to my local walk in clinic - MedExpress - they do the tests and bill the insurance co.

Thanks. No medExpress here.  Will check to see how our Urgent Care clinic  works for testing for travel.  Have a feeling insurance wont cover if only needed for travel. 

3 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

So, instead of testing, you think that they could simply do a health screening?  Pre covid we had health questions to fill out, as we do today on the App.  The problem is that a lot of folks lie just to get on, even if sick.  How would they do a simple health screening?  TIA

Nothing is perfect, I am quite sure that a minority of individuals, will be dishonest.

But do a temperature check and a general screening.  If one notices the individual is coughing, congested, they can be sent for a more thorough health screening.  It could even be by telemedicine. 

Considering the time, cost, and effort in obtaining tests, and considering that there is no  standard in respect to test....Antigen....NAAT.....PCR, (or even the time when the test must be obtained,  a screening may be just as if not more effective.  

12 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

Nothing is perfect, I am quite sure that a minority of individuals, will be dishonest.

But do a temperature check and a general screening.  If one notices the individual is coughing, congested, they can be sent for a more thorough health screening.  It could even be by telemedicine. 

Considering the time, cost, and effort in obtaining tests, and considering that there is no  standard in respect to test....Antigen....NAAT.....PCR, (or even the time when the test must be obtained,  a screening may be just as if not more effective.  

Thank you, appreciate it.

6 hours ago, insidecabin said:

There are video options  that may or may not work depending on timings(deliver the test to the hotel).

If using a US test and the wifi in the hotel is a bit flaky the Standing Order pub has good wifi  and can find a quiet corner to poke your nose, then have a beer while waiting .

The main shopping centre is West Quay mall(you can't miss it) walking distance of all the central hotels, there is a by appointment that do antigen tests for £39

https://www.theregenerativeclinic.co.uk/southampton-covid-19-rapid-antigen-test-appointment-booking/

Dam health is cheaper but not as convenient for those without transport. 

Lloyds and Boots pharmacies also do tests but best to check the individual pharmacy close the date.

Loads more option in London,  if one of these near you(one in Marylebone) they are probably the cheapest.

https://conceptoclinic.co.uk/book-antigen-test/

Isn't there a Boots in the area there.  (Not in the mall, but almost across the street from it?)

41 minutes ago, suzyed said:

Isn't there a Boots in the area there.  (Not in the mall, but almost across the street from it?)

I said they do them and you have to check with the one you plan to use close to the date.

There are cases of people turning up with appointments  and no one to do the tests.