Questions related to all things Covid testing relating to Princess Cruises

Host CJSKIDS

5 hours ago, bluebelle2010 said:

We just need to be fully vaccinated but not boosted in order to sail, correct?  Has anyone done the video assisted COVID test with Optum through Princess?  Is the virtual visual supervision through Zoom, FaceTime, or ??.  I'm trying to get this info to reassure my travel mates.  Thank you!!

Correct, for most Princess cruises currently, you only need to be fully vaccinated and not boosted.  SOME, however, DO require a booster.  They'll let you know which ones prior to sailing.

I've done the proctored test using the Abbott tests purchased from Optum several times successfully.  I don't know what video software they use; I only know that I didn't have to download anything to test.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Correct, for most Princess cruises currently, you only need to be fully vaccinated and not boosted. 

However, for European cruises you will need to have a booster, unless your second vaccination was within 270 days of the disembarkation date.

• Like 2

Is there a specific PCR or antigen test to take for travel. The clinic that has a free test near me has a PCR test that says *not for travel*.  I think that probably has more to do about payment, correct?  If I HAVE been exposed to COVID and take the free test, that one should suffice, correct?  I'm sorry but this has confused me!! 🤪

I am on two seven day cruises to Alaska back to back same ship. They are booked separately.  Does anyone know if on the last day of the first cruise will the ship Covid test us in order to continue on the second cruise. We will test two days before our initial boarding but not sure how they handle the second cruise test requirement. 

53 minutes ago, vdlcruiser said:

I am on two seven day cruises to Alaska back to back same ship. They are booked separately.  Does anyone know if on the last day of the first cruise will the ship Covid test us in order to continue on the second cruise. We will test two days before our initial boarding but not sure how they handle the second cruise test requirement. 

We did back to back in December and yes we were tested before the end of the first cruise. We also did a back to back in March and tested. No big deal, Princess had it very organized. 

1 hour ago, vdlcruiser said:

Is your b2b a transoceanic, Panama canal or 10 days or more?   Here are the b2b rules for testing as of June 16, 22.

This is for sailings from the US.  Continue to check PCL website, health protocols, etc for any updates before travel.

UPDATED: Will I be able to book multiple cruises, back-to-back?

Yes, guests can book back-to-back voyages, subject to availability.

Guests ages five and above on back-to-back voyages will need to take a complimentary rapid antigen test within two days of the following voyage, where the following voyage includes a transocean voyage or full Panama Canal transit and the itinerary is 10 days or more.

Guests who test positive for COVID-19 will be denied boarding on the next voyage, together with their family members and close contacts who are not fully vaccinated. If you, your family members, travel companions or other close contacts are suspected of having COVID-19, you are entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit (FCC).

We will closely monitor guidance from government and health authorities and will adapt and evolve this policy accordingly.

@vdlcruiser, we were on B2B Alaska cruises on the Crown commencing May 21 and 28, and no testing between cruises was necessary or provided.  Our two cruises had separate reservation numbers.

Even better than no testing, IMO, was that we did not have to exit the ship or see anyone from Customs/Immigration between cruises.  Perfect time to do laundry!  (Understand that we COULD have exited the ship and returned as "In Transit" passengers, but chose not to.)  We also did not have to get a new medallion, or get ours "reactivated" or any such.  Also, we did not have to watch the safety video again, or visit our muster station again (we were in the same room both segments - YMMV if you change cabins, and because things may have changed).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was planning to get a rapid NAAT(supposedly like PCR) from Walgreens b4 leaving home starting our Alaska land part of Majestic Princess cruisetour.  But in trying to schedule  for 7/3/22 they are now not showing ANY dates past 6/28/22 on their web. . Plus.  their phone recording says may not be acceptable for travel because there's NO QR Code on results that are now delayed. Does anyone know what going on?

3 hours ago, Willwils said:

I was planning to get a rapid NAAT(supposedly like PCR) from Walgreens b4 leaving home starting our Alaska land part of Majestic Princess cruisetour.  But in trying to schedule  for 7/3/22 they are now not showing ANY dates past 6/28/22 on their web. . Plus.  their phone recording says may not be acceptable for travel because there's NO QR Code on results that are now delayed. Does anyone know what going on?

We used them for our Caribbean cruise. We made reservations online about 1week ahead of time. We got the results within the two hour window, printed the results at the hotel and all was well.  We have decided that hard copies are easier to deal with. Wait until 1 week before you need the test, schedule, relax and then enjoy!

I'm only seeing testing at my many area Walgreens through 6/28 also.  Had you checked within the past couple of days or was today the first day you were expecting to be able to schedule? I know when I last checked availability a couple of weeks ago they were still scheduling up to about 7 days in advance. Hopefully they've just shortened the scheduling window!  I will check again tomorrow to see if that's the case.  

The Optum tests recommended by Princess are sold out.  

This is troubling. 

Edited by SomewhereGirl

2 minutes ago, SomewhereGirl said:

I'm only seeing testing at my many area Walgreens through 6/28 also.  Had you checked within the past couple of days or was today the first day you were expecting to be able to schedule? I know when I last checked availability a couple of weeks ago they were still scheduling up to about 7 days in advance. Hopefully they've just shortened the scheduling window!  I will check again tomorrow to see if that's the case.  

This is troubling. 

Until  today you could only schedule a maximum of 7 days in advance. In fact yesterday it allowed you to schedule up to next Friday, 7/1/22. But today it only allows to schedule to 6/28. I need testing on Sunday 7/3/22 for our Princess cruisetour starting Tues. 7/5/22. All Walgreens are closed July 4th. When you call the Walgreens 800#, all you get is a recording saying  you must schedule on web, but warnings that they have processing delays. Luckily as a backup my Daughter obtained some emed-tests. 

4 hours ago, Willwils said:

We have used Walgreens several times. Their pre-booking times have varied from 3 days to a week. I just checked locally and looks like they are back to 3 days (last month it was 7 days). We have never used a QR code and our NAAT results have always been available in a few hours. We have also used CVS who typically booked out 2 to 3 weeks.

48 minutes ago, SomewhereGirl said:

This is troubling. 

If the Optum tests show sold out via Princess just go to the Optum or eMed site directly

Edited by Buckeye10640

I am in South Carolina and until this week, Walgreens was showing about 10 days ahead to schedule.  Now it is only showing appt to 6/28.  So Walgreens may be stopping those tests just like CVS around here did.

Looking for information. Scheduled to take a 14 day cruise Frome Rome - Barcelona in August. Booked as a 14 day not as 2 seven day cruises. Hearing that PCL is testing passengers on board the day before arriving in Athens. This info is not on any documentation or anywhere on the website. Greek government had suspended all entry requirements for testing effective June 1. Passengers embarking the ship in Athens have to provide negative test prior to boarding as we do when embarking in Rome.

Why is this test mid cruise being done?

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Because the Greek government require it.

I have looked through all greek gov sites and there is no mention of this that i can find. They actually show that all covid vaccination and testing requirements are no longer required for ferries and other transportation. 

Just also wondering why this info isn't on Princess site anywhere. Only thing I can find is statement about pre embarkation in Athens. Had actually thought it might  have been testing for Spain but couldn't find any info to support that theory. Appreciate any links to this info.

24 minutes ago, sidvan said:

I have looked through all greek gov sites and there is no mention of this that i can find. They actually show that all covid vaccination and testing requirements are no longer required for ferries and other transportation. 

Just also wondering why this info isn't on Princess site anywhere. Only thing I can find is statement about pre embarkation in Athens. Had actually thought it might  have been testing for Spain but couldn't find any info to support that theory. Appreciate any links to this info.

Sorry, all I can say is that on our recent Princess cruise,  all passengers staying on the ship after Athens were tested, and all getting on were also tested.

Tests were not required for those staying on at Barcelona or Rome, so I assume it is a Greek requirement just for cruises.  

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Sorry, all I can say is that on our recent Princess cruise,  all passengers staying on the ship after Athens were tested, and all getting on were also tested.

Tests were not required for those staying on at Barcelona or Rome, so I assume it is a Greek requirement just for cruises.  

Thanks. I appreciate the info. Just weird that this info isn't found anywhere to let you know it's a requirement.

17 hours ago, chipchop5 said:

I am in South Carolina and until this week, Walgreens was showing about 10 days ahead to schedule.  Now it is only showing appt to 6/28.  So Walgreens may be stopping those tests just like CVS around here did.

Since phoning Walgreens is a waste  of time with either a recording stating that tests must be scheduled on line or getting hung up on, I tried online chat. There after pushing for an answer was told they are now only scheduling 3 days in advance. Perhaps they are getting ready to stop doing the free rapid NAAT test. But, from what we heard people aren't getting  results in time for travel. Plus speculation on Facebook is that effective  July  1st they won't  be free. When calling  the store they know  nothing.  

Some good news on the horizon.  From the article:

"It's possible, maybe even likely, that the CDC eventually treats cruise lines like every other place in the U.S. that draws a crowd. That would mean sort of accepting that covid infections will happen but that they can be manage."

As Covid Rages, Royal Caribbean, Carnival Could Drop Testing Rules - TheStreet

• Like 1

Question regarding uploaded vax card photo to Medallion app.  I have been checked in to my upcoming in July Majestic Princess ship for more than a month now.  I uploaded a photo of my vax card at the time.  It still shows as "Pending Approval" more than a month later.  Is this something I should be concerned about?  Or is it just a quirk of the system?  I realize it probably doesn't make a difference since I will have to produce the card at boarding anyway, but I am always on the lookout for "gotchas" that could cause a holdup.  As a comparison, I uploaded the same picture to the Delta FlyReady system and it was verified in less than an hour.  TIA.

1 hour ago, WEGL81 said:

Question regarding uploaded vax card photo to Medallion app.  I have been checked in to my upcoming in July Majestic Princess ship for more than a month now.  I uploaded a photo of my vax card at the time.  It still shows as "Pending Approval" more than a month later.  Is this something I should be concerned about?  Or is it just a quirk of the system?  I realize it probably doesn't make a difference since I will have to produce the card at boarding anyway, but I am always on the lookout for "gotchas" that could cause a holdup.  As a comparison, I uploaded the same picture to the Delta FlyReady system and it was verified in less than an hour.  TIA.

I've had that issue on three cruises since the restart.  I never did get cleared to board on the Medallion on my last cruise.  I just took all of my paperwork and my vaccination card with me to the port.  No problem at all.  Everyone at the ports seem to know the problems with the app and are ready to help.

If I had been responsible for rolling out something with all of the problems customers have with the Medallion, I would've found myself sleeping under a bridge somewhere.

• Like 2