Sailings cancelled

jdg623

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

I'm not worried about getting covid. I have plenty of confidence in my immune system. It has served me well.

I'm the opposite. I just think it's a matter of luck and timing when I get covid, not if. .. I had a appointment today at chase bank. He stood me up. Everyone at this bank brach but maybe 2 got covid. Today was the first day they opened the lobby. When they said everyone there got covid and I'm sitting there my skin was itching. ..everyone.?  Yikes. ..and i have to go back .. setting up IRA for deductions and it's time. Cant tell irs sorry I'm late withdrawing, the bankers were all sick. Not sure i want to go back in. I did wash my hands well! 

Sometimes it's better not to know those around you were sick. 

I do think I'll get it. Not afraid, but think odds are I'll get it, just hoping not when I am booked.

Sorry rcl cancelled with so little notice. ..but even out a week I'll bet some lost money. I have hotels and parking booked and would lose some if I got canc. Stinks for those who lost cruises but with all the complaining I read on here, something had to give. Couldnt continue. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Teknodude said:

What happens to my business when I don’t have enough customers buying my product to pay my bills. I fire people. The state helps by letting me furlough staff. 
If that isn’t enough, I have to close down. Shut up shop. 

I pay corporation tax in the USA so luckily I do receive some federal state aid. 

why should any business be better or more worthy than mine? Especially ones who incorporate in Liberia to avoid taxation.

Business is business. If you can’t afford to operate. Go bankrupt. Let someone else come in have a go.  

And the employee also has the option to quit.  I am not sure exactly what you expect them to do?  If they completely shut down and then go bankrupt then what happens to the employees?  I am not on either side but I also understand that right now things are very difficult for everyone.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Teknodude said:

I wrote it up on another thread about Symphony, but the way crew are expected to live now is nothing short of a tin pot regime. My partner says staff are quitting as quick as going down with covid. 

My partner says - we can’t be expected to live day in day out for months like this. Crew are just losing the will. And that translates to bad guest experiences which no one wants. Especially the crew. 

So, in your opinion the life of the crew will get better when RCI goes bankrupt?

That might be the dumbest thought ever posted on CC… congratulations you won the internet!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm the opposite. I just think it's a matter of luck and timing when I get covid, not if. .. I had a appointment today at chase bank. He stood me up. Everyone at this bank brach but maybe 2 got covid. Today was the first day they opened the lobby. When they said everyone there got covid and I'm sitting there my skin was itching. ..everyone.?  Yikes. ..and i have to go back .. setting up IRA for deductions and it's time. Cant tell irs sorry I'm late withdrawing, the bankers were all sick. Not sure i want to go back in. I did wash my hands well! 

Sometimes it's better not to know those around you were sick. 

I do think I'll get it. Not afraid, but think odds are I'll get it, just hoping not when I am booked.

Sorry rcl cancelled with so little notice. ..but even out a week I'll bet some lost money. I have hotels and parking booked and would lose some if I got canc. Stinks for those who lost cruises but with all the complaining I read on here, something had to give. Couldnt continue. 

Can't you do your withdrawal online?  That seems to be much safer these days. 

I do have to agree I am at the point just put me in a line and infect me because at this point it might be the only way to stop this. 

• Like 1

I have a question regarding my cancelled Serenade cruise. We have not made final payment yet and for the deposit we used a FCC that was from a non-refundable deposit received from a cancelled 2020 cruise. The email received was confusing to me. Will I be able to get a cash refund now or would my only option be another FCC?  Thanks!

8 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

So, in your opinion the life of the crew will get better when RCI goes bankrupt?

That might be the dumbest thought ever posted on CC… congratulations you won the internet!

Bankrupt will just mean debt "reorganization" in this case- will still keep sailing like United kept flying.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, xpcdoojk said:

I don’t think I wrote the life of the crew would get better if RCI go bankrupt. If you disagree, can you quote me back. I don’t mind being disproved. 

RCI is a business which in the way they are currently operating is failing their employees. 

There was an inference that shutting down cruising is not an option. 
My counter is that it is an option. If my business can fail due to pandemic pressure, what is so special about RCI that it should be allowed to remain in operation whilst giving guests poor service and the crew are working in intolerable conditions. 

let’s try and keep the discussion sensible and civil. I have a point of view. You have one. Let’s discuss. 

But tiresome old insults like - you won the internet just doesn’t achieve much. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Teknodude said:

I don’t think I wrote the life of the crew would get better if RCI go bankrupt. If you disagree, can you quote me back. I don’t mind being disproved. 

RCI is a business which in the way they are currently operating is failing their employees. 

My counter is that it is an option. If my business can fail due to pandemic pressure, what is so special about RCI that it should be allowed to remain in operation whilst giving guests poor service and the crew are working in intolerable conditions. 

let’s try and keep the discussion sensible and civil. I have a point of view. You have one. Let’s discuss. 

If some of these members don't think  your opinions go inline with theirs , they will blast you. Be prepared, if they think they are right and you are wrong.

• Like 1

Just switched to Odyssey after being cancelled on Jewel. No 4x points since we booked solo cabins on Jewel with no supplement. Getting double points at least. 2 less days, but good pricing. I am good... Less than $60 a night pp for a balcony before taxes is ok on a newer ship.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RoyalC said:

Bankrupt will just mean debt "reorganization" in this case- will still keep sailing like United kept flying.

I agree. It’s not like RCI would disappear. Like UAL, or AA restructured, fixed themselves etc. 

i think the point of such a situation is new management would be drafted in by the financial institutions banks creditors etc with a view that a fresh pair of eyes on the situation might help turn it around, refocus the business. 

But I think talk of RCI bankruptcy is premature. I have no idea what their cash balances or lines of credit are right now. 

RCCL should immediately give all crew on all ships a booster.  It takes 2 weeks for that to be effective.

And even then, it may not prevent Omicron infections.  But at least it will reduce the incidents.

Masks alone obviously aren't working.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Teknodude said:

Unfortunately  I think some of the difference is based on how many people does your business employee worldwide vs RCI?  I am not saying that is right or wrong but it does come into play. 

I cruised in November and the service was outstanding and every employee seemed very happy to be working again.  I think it is all based on each person's perspective. 

I would also hope that those of us who are able to cruise are being more generous in rewarding those who are showing up and performing.  I know since this pandemic has started it has changed my tipping guidelines a lot, I am very appreciative of anyone who is willing to put in the effort right now. 

35 minutes ago, Teknodude said:
7 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

If some of these members don't think  your opinions go inline with theirs , they will blast you. Be prepared, if they think they are right and you are wrong.

Because like it is really easy to be suddenly without a job thousands of miles from home with a company that can’t afford to fly me home because they are out of business.  I am sure in Virginia for working people that would be an awesome day!  Because it will all just instantly go back in business as something new.  

Blasting is easy for those who spout stuff that doesn’t affect them in anyway but makes them feel like it is someone else’s fault/problem.

We are teetering on the edge, and it is just a joke.  Something funny to say.  

Kind of sad….

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, coaster said:

Just switched to Odyssey after being cancelled on Jewel. No 4x points since we booked solo cabins on Jewel with no supplement. Getting double points at least. 2 less days, but good pricing. I am good... Less than $60 a night pp for a balcony before taxes is ok on a newer ship.

We are supposed to be on Odyssey next week. Holding out hope I make it til then, a bunch of people in my office were out sick this week, 1 tested positive and is quarantined, two refused to test because they didn't want to have to quarantine if positive; they just took one sick day and came back to work when they "felt better".

Mask, hand sanitizer, and lysol wipes every time I open a door for the next week

2 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Because like it is really easy to be suddenly without a job thousands of miles from home with a company that can’t afford to fly me home because they are out of business.  I am sure in Virginia for working people that would be an awesome day!  Because it will all just instantly go back in business as something new.  

Blasting is easy for those who spout stuff that doesn’t affect them in anyway but makes them feel like it is someone else’s fault/problem.

Kind of sad….

Out of business, really, they could  halt things for the next 6 months again and they wouldn't go out of business.

6 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Thanks Jimbo 

it’s an Internet forum. So I totally expect the usual crank “you won the internet” tropes with every other point of view under the sun.

And when it comes to my partners welfare as an officer on Symphony, my shoulders are so so bigger and can withstand any childish “blast” from keyboard warriors on here. 

I’m entitled to air my grievances at the way RCI is running its business as a sole profit machine at the expense of crew welfare (my partner is on board symphony and struggling right now), I will say it and talk about it until the end of time. Or he gets off that disastrously run ***** show of a cruise ship. 

The crew have been calling for a time out / reset for weeks because they are struggling to cope. 

Why have RCI HQ in Miami been so ignorant to this for so long? 

I'm not too surprised that RC is suspending cruises if what I just read on another thread is true.  Someone who was on Oasis for New Years had their boyfriend test positive with symptoms.  He was quarantined, but they went according to new guidelines, told him he only had to be in quarantine on the ship five days and day six he was free to rejoin, no special masking requirements.  Then, according to this poster, they let him out in three days, no questions about symptoms and no testing.  

We all know the five days is not based on health but on the need to keep our hospitals staffed, and the guidance is five days and then mask for five days.  So, yeah, no surprise if they are releasing after a few days that the ships are going to be overrun with Covid.  

9 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Kind of sad….

The initial argument has been lost slightly. 

No one wants RCI to go out of business or crew to lose jobs. 
But RCI arent helping their crew right now.

The written warning offenses for crew on symphony now are stuff like being in an area of the ship - even crew area -  not in your authorized work zone. Out. Sitting at a crew restaurant table with a crew member not in your immediate work team. Out.

deviating from your designated pattern of - Cabin - work zone - canteen - cabin - work zone - canteen - cabin. And repeat. For weeks. No rec areas. No bar. Nothing. You get a warning. 

and you wonder why crew morale behind the scenes is rock bottom. 

The crew aren’t asking for RCI to be shut down. No one ever said that. 
They want time to reset. Get full compliment of crew on. Give guests what they deserve. 

But RCI corporate just won’t listen to them and their concerns. This has been brewing for weeks. None of the crew on board are surprised what just happened from what I can tell. 

29 minutes ago, coaster said:

Why no 4x points? Are you double occupancy instead now on Odyssey?

Why no 4x points? Are you double occupancy instead now on Odyssey?

Yes. The limited window back In the fall when there was no solo supplement does not exist now. We are booked in one cabin instead of two. Why we lost 4x points and just 2x now.

Edited by coaster

55 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

And the employee also has the option to quit.  I am not sure exactly what you expect them to do?  If they completely shut down and then go bankrupt then what happens to the employees?  I am not on either side but I also understand that right now things are very difficult for everyone.  

They do. And they are. I know of half a dozen on Symphony this week. 

maybe the use of Bankrupt is a bit emotive and I should rephrase. 
would - top down restructuring be more constructive a term? 

My point (again) is the side of the employee. 
Miami HQ is treating the on board crew terribly. And they can’t bare much more. 

they want HQ to listen to their concerns. Accept a time out and reset is needed to get the operation back to what it should be, because right now the crew on board are struggling to maintain any sort of service whatsoever.