Question about the Abbott BinaxNow Covid-19 Antigen Card Home Test with eMed Telehealth

earthpoet

Hello, fellow cruisers. I've ordered this pre-cruise, two-pack test kit from Celebrity, and I have a question. I have looked through the FAQs on their website. I've called and gotten no answer after a 45-minute wait. I've emailed with no reply. The chat function has disappeared on their website. Would any of you know the answer to this question: 

Does one, two-pack kit test two people or one person twice? I know some entities want you to test twice within a matter of minutes to ensure your result is correct. I purchased one, two-pack kit with the idea that I would use one of the tests and my husband would use the other, pre-cruise. And if that is the case, will the Telehealth observe both of our tests at the same time or do we schedule separate appointments? The test kit is enroute, so I have no idea if there will be further instructions with it. At this point, I don't know whether to purchase an additional kit or not.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Lisa

5 minutes ago, earthpoet said:

Hello, fellow cruisers. I've ordered this pre-cruise, two-pack test kit from Celebrity, and I have a question. I have looked through the FAQs on their website. I've called and gotten no answer after a 45-minute wait. I've emailed with no reply. The chat function has disappeared on their website. Would any of you know the answer to this question: 

Does one, two-pack kit test two people or one person twice? I know some entities want you to test twice within a matter of minutes to ensure your result is correct. I purchased one, two-pack kit with the idea that I would use one of the tests and my husband would use the other, pre-cruise. And if that is the case, will the Telehealth observe both of our tests at the same time or do we schedule separate appointments? The test kit is enroute, so I have no idea if there will be further instructions with it. At this point, I don't know whether to purchase an additional kit or not.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Lisa

We ordered 4 of these tests and received 4. We are going on 2 cruises with 3 days between cruises so needed To rest before each cruise. They are not specific to individuals so you could use one and your spouse the other. 

however, let me give you a word of caution. We did our first one yesterday and had an issue. I went first and downloaded the app and followed instructions and called the number. The call center is either in India or is staffed by folks from India. The person I got was obviously new with a thick accent. The instructions were not clear and there was lots of background noise. You could hear a lot of people talking. My test came back invalid. So my wife went next. The person she got to guide her was great. Very clear instructions and even pictures as to how to do the test at each step (I didn’t get the pictures). Her test came back negative and we now knew what to do so I used one of the kits for our next cruise and called in and got a helpful guide and everything worked well and I also got a negative. 

but now we are short a test kit. So I called Optum and explained the situation and they are sending a kit to our hotel that we are using between cruises. Assuming it gets here all in all not a bad process. 

• Like 1

We didn't purchase a two pack kit.  Instead we purchased the six pack kit.  We have used them to test both me and my husband.  The process is very smooth and efficient.  There are also some videos of the testing process which are helpful to watch.  

Download the NAVICA app and create an account prior to starting the test process.  You will need separate accounts.  Log onto the website once you are ready to start the test.  You do not not schedule an appointment.  We have each tested twice, and at each our four sessions there was virtually no wait for the proctor to start the test procedure.  Once one test is completed the proctor will end the session.  You log in again for the second person.

And welcome to Cruise Critic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, everyone. Well, hopefully we won't have any snafus and will only need the one, two-pack kit that I have on order. There wouldn't be enough time to get a new kit delivered if one of the tests (or proctors!) is invalid. Will consider ordering another $69 spare kit, just in case. 

Happy cruising,

Lisa

1 hour ago, zigdilcru said:

Thank you turtles06 now I won’t go into the test blind and will feel more at ease.  Linda

That's the way to do it. The test process is simple, but you have to do it right or the test could be deemed invalid. 

16 minutes ago, tulok said:

Can you use this test kit on the final day of the cruise to fly home?

Yes as long as you have an internet connection.   I know you can connect using the Premium Internet maybe others can confirm about the basic plan.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, CruiserFromSC said:

I would definitely recommend watching a you tube video on the process.  It was very helpful and took away some of the stress.  

This is the YouTube video we watched!  So very helpful and I love these two "kids", well, "kids" to me anyway!  Highly recommend.  

• Thanks 1

Well, I watched the video and I would be in tears dealing with switching back and forth between the app and test proctor and having the camera issues.

There is also the issue that we have every year at this time of year of our internet being overloaded because of the higher demand from temporary residents coming back to clutter up the state.  

If we can't make appointments within a sixty mile radius to have the tests done, we might be canceling the cruise.

Just a side note as a microbiologist: A big deal is made about cleaning and sanitizing hands and then the user promptly touches and manipulates non sanitized surfaces and items during the test set up and procedure.  I mentally see my professors rolling in their graves....

7 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Well, I watched the video and I would be in tears dealing with switching back and forth between the app and test proctor and having the camera issues.

No need for tears now that you know you don't use the app to take the test.  😉 You set up an account with Navica so you can see results there, but you go directly to eMed.com to do the test.

11 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Just a side note as a microbiologist: A big deal is made about cleaning and sanitizing hands and then the user promptly touches and manipulates non sanitized surfaces and items during the test set up and procedure.  I mentally see my professors rolling in their graves....

I agree, it's pretty silly.  No reason not to have clean hands, but the key thing is not to touch the inside of the test card, the tip of the reagent bottle, or the end of the swab that you put in your nose.

• Thanks 1

I have also seen accounts here that a  poster has had a blip with the internet where the test card was momentarily out of sight and the test was declared invalid.

With the cell phone video switching between selfie and normal view which caused the test card to be out of sight of the proctor, there was plenty of opportunity to fiddle the test card.  I wonder why the test was not considered invalid?

18 hours ago, earthpoet said:

Thanks, everyone. Well, hopefully we won't have any snafus and will only need the one, two-pack kit that I have on order. There wouldn't be enough time to get a new kit delivered if one of the tests (or proctors!) is invalid. Will consider ordering another $69 spare kit, just in case. 

Happy cruising,

Lisa

Highly recommend you have at least one back up or a backup plan in place. Also recommend you not wait to do the test the day of the cruise. 

Accidentally drop/spill the card and you're going to be scrambling to hopefully find a place that tests fast. 

You can create accounts and test to make sure your phone will work ahead of time without opening or doing the test. (don’t open the seal until they ask/are watching you) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Homosassa said:

As a retired lab scientist, I had the same exact thought🤣

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Homosassa said:

There is also the issue that we have every year at this time of year of our internet being overloaded because of the higher demand from temporary residents coming back to clutter up the state.  

If we can't make appointments within a sixty mile radius to have the tests done, we might be canceling the cruise.

The test is much easier if you have a laptop!  I just tested my camera and set-up first using a “Zoom” test so that I could see what the proctor was seeing.  Then I positioned the laptop so I could see the test on a flat surface.  When I posted the you tube video I forgot that they used their phones.  There are several others that show using a laptop.  No need for tears 😊.  It really was quite simple even for technology challenged people like me!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, CruiserFromSC said:

The test is much easier if you have a laptop!  I just tested my camera and set-up first using a “Zoom” test so that I could see what the proctor was seeing.  Then I positioned the laptop so I could see the test on a flat surface.  When I posted the you tube video I forgot that they used their phones.  There are several others that show using a laptop.  No need for tears 😊.  It really was quite simple even for technology challenged people like me!

I liked that the YouTube video mentioned here was done on their phone, because we will need to use our phones for our tests next April in Europe - we don't own a laptop.  So it was very instructional to see them use their phone.  And they mentioned that though she had problems with her camera, the guy had no problems whatsoever.   Also an option to use our iPad, which we always travel with, I suppose......

My experience on a laptop were really simple.   All I had to do was point the lid down slightly so they could see the card.     For identification I just had to hold it up to the Camera as well as the QR code.   Besides that it was just like doing a Zoom call.     At the end I had to hold the card up to the camera so the protector could verify.

• Like 2

I have also seen accounts here that a  poster has had a blip with the internet where the test card was momentarily out of sight and the test was declared invalid.

With the cell phone video switching between selfie and normal view which caused the test card to be out of sight of the proctor, there was plenty of opportunity to fiddle the test card.  I wonder why the test was not considered invalid?

Strange that would happen as once you finish the first part of the test.   The proctor logs off and no one is looking at your card for 15+ minutes.      Maybe just an over zealous agent.   When my card was out of sight the protector just said could you point your camera a little lower.

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

My experience on a laptop were really simple.   All I had to do was point the lid down slightly so they could see the card.     For identification I just had to hold it up to the Camera as well as the QR code.   Besides that it was just like doing a Zoom call.     At the end I had to hold the card up to the camera so the protector could verify.

Did you have to create an account on a mobile device first (i.e. phone) before you logged on using a laptop or did you do it all on the laptop? 

On 1/8/2022 at 4:34 PM, judatt said:

We ordered 4 of these tests and received 4. We are going on 2 cruises with 3 days between cruises so needed To rest before each cruise. They are not specific to individuals so you could use one and your spouse the other. 

however, let me give you a word of caution. We did our first one yesterday and had an issue. I went first and downloaded the app and followed instructions and called the number. The call center is either in India or is staffed by folks from India. The person I got was obviously new with a thick accent. The instructions were not clear and there was lots of background noise. You could hear a lot of people talking. My test came back invalid. So my wife went next. The person she got to guide her was great. Very clear instructions and even pictures as to how to do the test at each step (I didn’t get the pictures). Her test came back negative and we now knew what to do so I used one of the kits for our next cruise and called in and got a helpful guide and everything worked well and I also got a negative. 

but now we are short a test kit. So I called Optum and explained the situation and they are sending a kit to our hotel that we are using between cruises. Assuming it gets here all in all not a bad process. 

Interesting.  We had the exact same issue.  The proctor was extremely difficult to understand and it seemed as if the volume on his side was turned way down.  We could not hear him and, when we could, it was very difficult to understand him.  Fortunately, as we are complete tech idiots, we had asked our daughter to come over to help.  

There are many people on here who have said it was fairly straightforward.  That's probably true if you are somewhat tech savvy.   We were very happy to have our DD here to help decipher the instructions.

• Like 1