Chilworth Manor Hotel Pre Cruise

tring

We have booked Chilworth Manor Hotel on a cancellable basis for before our Aurora Caribbean cruise next November.  It is a good price for room only, though we are slightly concerned that they have a 10am check out time.  We tend to have a late breakfast if we can, and will not want a large breakfast before going on a cruise ship, so are thinking we may be able to go into a bar or lounge after we check out and have a light brunch.  It does not have to be normal breakfast items, a small sandwich or similar snack would be fine.  Can I ask if that is something we may be able to do after we check out and if there is enough lounge/bar space to sit while waiting nearer to our embarkation time.  That will likely be the last cruise when we are still Mediterranean level in the Peninsular Club at embarkation, so I think our embarkation time will be fairly late.  We have a deluxe balcony cabin booked for that cruise. 

Any advice about this hotel, or our likely embarkation time for Aurora would be much appreciated, since we can easily change to another hotel if we have made a mistake.

Edited by tring

1 hour ago, tring said:

We have booked Chilworth Manor Hotel on a cancellable basis for before our Aurora Caribbean cruise next November.  It is a good price for room only, though we are slightly concerned that they have a 10am check out time.  We tend to have a late breakfast if we can, and will not want a large breakfast before going on a cruise ship, so are thinking we may be able to go into a bar or lounge after we check out and have a light brunch.  It does not have to be normal breakfast items, a small sandwich or similar snack would be fine.  Can I ask if that is something we may be able to do after we check out and if there is enough lounge/bar space to sit while waiting nearer to our embarkation time.  That will likely be the last cruise when we are still Mediterranean level in the Peninsular Club at embarkation, so I think our embarkation time will be fairly late.  We have a deluxe balcony cabin booked for that cruise. 

Any advice about this hotel, or our likely embarkation time for Aurora would be much appreciated, since we can easily change to another hotel if we have made a mistake.

Hated it! booked because of advise on here, and because our normal hotel was full. The open reception  area was so noisy, un- supervised children every ware not conducive to a quite adult night out. However we are all different. Also did not like the dining area and menu. felt very corporate.

Afraid we could be classed as old foggies, however our money and our expectations. This came no where near. We like to be looked after and valued which is why we tend to use a small place at Eastleigh ,who welcome us by name.

1 hour ago, mercury7289 said:

Hated it! booked because of advise on here, and because our normal hotel was full. The open reception  area was so noisy, un- supervised children every ware not conducive to a quite adult night out. However we are all different. Also did not like the dining area and menu. felt very corporate.

Afraid we could be classed as old foggies, however our money and our expectations. This came no where near. We like to be looked after and valued which is why we tend to use a small place at Eastleigh ,who welcome us by name.

Thanks for the reply.  Must admit we are thinking that 10am checkout will be a problem and the reason we fancied it was that it looked like a classy hotel, though now thinking perhaps not.  I doubt we would have problem with children on a Thursday mid November, but if we did, we would feel the same as you.

Probably a back to the drawing board job, thanks again.

7 hours ago, tring said:

Thanks for the reply.  Must admit we are thinking that 10am checkout will be a problem and the reason we fancied it was that it looked like a classy hotel, though now thinking perhaps not.  I doubt we would have problem with children on a Thursday mid November, but if we did, we would feel the same as you.

Probably a back to the drawing board job, thanks again.

We always negotiate a later checkout time, and make a point of being nice and friendly to the cleaning team.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tring said:

It is a good price for room only, though we are slightly concerned that they have a 10am check out time. 

A lot of places have an early check out time at present and a later check in time to give more time cleaning. This I hope will change eventually. 

12 minutes ago, Gettingwarmer said:

A lot of places have an early check out time at present and a later check in time to give more time cleaning. This I hope will change eventually. 

Different standard,  I know, but Premier Inn still allow a reasonably late check out time.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Different standard,  I know, but Premier Inn still allow a reasonably late check out time.

Yes you’re right, 12 noon, as we visit often when visiting relatives. Their check in time is altered to 3pm but if not busy and room is ready we have entered early. 

Edited by Gettingwarmer

1 hour ago, Gettingwarmer said:

We tend to use IHG hotels, Premier Inns or Travelodges and all have retained their midday Chech outs.  Also check in times, though that would not bother us as we often do not get down there until about 6pm.  As an IHG loyalty member DH usually gets a late check out with their hotels as well - up to 2pm often.

Can I ask what sort of of times P&O want arrival at the port as we have not travelled with them since summer 2019.  May we have to wait until 2 pm if not a priority loyalty level?

Edited by tring

2 minutes ago, tring said:

We tend to use IHG hotels, Premier Inns or Travelodges and all have retained their midday Chech outs.  Also check in times, though that would not bother us as we often do not get down there until about 6pm.

Can I ask what sort of of times P&O want arrival at the port as we have not travelled with them since summer 2019.  May we have to wait until 2 pm if not a priority loyalty level?

Can only answer for my cruise on Ventura in December check in ie starting at the covid checkpoint was 12.45 - I was in a standard balcony.

11 minutes ago, ccpm said:

Can only answer for my cruise on Ventura in December check in ie starting at the covid checkpoint was 12.45 - I was in a standard balcony.

Thanks for the reply, does not sound too bad then if all are similar.   We have a deluxe balcony, but not on a high deck of Aurora, which I realise is not sailing yet.

We have stayed at Chilworth Manor a few times pre cruise and we have never had any problems. We have always stayed bed and breakfast which is buffet so you can eat as much or as little as you want. I dont think there would be a problem if you checked out of your room and packed your car and then had a coffee/tea in the lounge area but dont think, unless changed since we last went, they do snacks at that time of the morning. We now stay at the Holiday  Inn Express West just off M271 at very competitive rates which includes buffet breakfast and also has a late check out time of 12pm according to their website. There is also a pub (Walnut Tree Farm) a short walking distance from hotel where you can go for an evening meal. It is then just a short drive to cruise terminal when you do leave the hotel.

• Thanks 1

We have stayed there a couple of times when they have done a cruise package deal, they were well priced for the 35 night cruise parking. I can't say that it was noticeably better or worse than several hotels in the area. We had our evening meal at the pub at the end of the road, very nice too. We used to sit in the lounge until the taxi arrived to take us to the port. We would have no problem staying there again.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

We have stayed at Chilworth Manor a few times pre cruise and we have never had any problems. We have always stayed bed and breakfast which is buffet so you can eat as much or as little as you want. I dont think there would be a problem if you checked out of your room and packed your car and then had a coffee/tea in the lounge area but dont think, unless changed since we last went, they do snacks at that time of the morning. We now stay at the Holiday  Inn Express West just off M271 at very competitive rates which includes buffet breakfast and also has a late check out time of 12pm according to their website. There is also a pub (Walnut Tree Farm) a short walking distance from hotel where you can go for an evening meal. It is then just a short drive to cruise terminal when you do leave the hotel.

Thanks for the reply.

Can I ask about that Hol Inn Express which I know is very near the motorway.  Were you easily able to secure a room on the quieter side, or did noise not bother you?  Again as an IHG member DH usually gets what he wants, but a risk as we often arrive late.

I have also noticed that reviews for that one have not been good recently so we have booked the Botley one for May, though never stayed in Botley.

Edited by tring

8 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

We have stayed there a couple of times when they have done a cruise package deal, they were well priced for the 35 night cruise parking. I can't say that it was noticeably better or worse than several hotels in the area. We had our evening meal at the pub at the end of the road, very nice too. We used to sit in the lounge until the taxi arrived to take us to the port. We would have no problem staying there again.

Thanks for the reply Phil.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tring said:

Thanks for the reply.

Can I ask about that Hol Inn Express which I know is very near the motorway.  Were you easily able to secure a room on the quieter side, or did noise not bother you?  Again as an IHG member DH usually gets what he wants, but a risk as we often arrive late.

I have also noticed that reviews for that one have not been good recently so we have booked the Botley one for May, though never stayed in Botley.

We have never chosen position of room and have never had any problems. With regards to the hotel again we have not had any problems it is basic but clean you have tea making facilities and tv in your room and perfectly acceptable, the breakfast are your usual HIE help yourself to cereals, toast, sausages, bacon and juices drinks. We find we dont want much more than a hot drink, juice, cereal and bacon/sausage sandwich which we find ample.

• Thanks 1

We stayed at the holiday inn Botley last summer prior to Iona cruise  - the whole ground floor was being used for asylum seekers / refugees.

The room and food and service were good so I would probably use again. Good price.

We have also stayed at the botley grange hotel a few times - but the last time was dreadful - really gone downhill and expensive.

• Thanks 1

Also used

holiday inn next to the docks Southampton - that was ok but hard to get the lift downstairs to leave as not enough of them and very busy.

very convenient location.

grand harbour Southampton - ok - nice swimming pool. Very convenient location.

still looking for a better option with nice atmosphere , bar and restaurant but haven’t found it yet.

• Thanks 1

We often drive to have a late breakfast ,after checking out ,at the Ocean Village area which is right next to the Ocean Terminal. There is chargeable parking ,though not expensive. Choices are  The Maritimo Lounge , a Wetherspoons,and some other choices. We like the Maritomo and we have a light bite ,then a wander round the marina ,which is lovely . By then ,it's been time to make our way to the ship . This is just a suggestion for you 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

We have never chosen position of room and have never had any problems. With regards to the hotel again we have not had any problems it is basic but clean you have tea making facilities and tv in your room and perfectly acceptable, the breakfast are your usual HIE help yourself to cereals, toast, sausages, bacon and juices drinks. We find we dont want much more than a hot drink, juice, cereal and bacon/sausage sandwich which we find ample.

Thanks for the reply.  Just cancelled Chilworth and DH about to book that HIE.  The cruise starts with lots of sea days across the Atlantic, so decided if we do get a noisy room we will have plenty of time to make up any lost sleep 🙂

We have stayed a number of nights in both HIE and Holiday Inns last year and all was fine.  Less staff around but no problems as less customers as well.  We also find the HIE breakfasts fine as we would never eat more than cereal and fruit at home, so is a feast to us, especially if heading for a cruise ship.

2 hours ago, paulatsea said:

Also used

holiday inn next to the docks Southampton - that was ok but hard to get the lift downstairs to leave as not enough of them and very busy.

still looking for a better option with nice atmosphere , bar and restaurant but haven’t found it yet.

Thanks for your comments which are appreciated.  Will leave our May booking with the one at Botley as that has A/C which will be needed then.

We have stayed at The Hol Inn by docks a number of times, mainly when we have enough loyalty points to pay for it since it is usually pricey, but we like the hotel and the situation.  Love just sitting by the big window at night looking at the light reflecting on the water - docks look very picturesque at night.  Their is a shortage of lifts, but they will hang on to your cases at reception, so can take them down early and then use the stairs if need to.  With a late check out (loyalty perk) we find using the lifts are not so much a problem for us.

Yes part of our thoughts are to try other options, but seem to end up with the same ones, but usually only in Southampton for one or two nights.

Edited by tring

34 minutes ago, rumbalizw said:

We often drive to have a late breakfast ,after checking out ,at the Ocean Village area which is right next to the Ocean Terminal. There is chargeable parking ,though not expensive. Choices are  The Maritimo Lounge , a Wetherspoons,and some other choices. We like the Maritomo and we have a light bite ,then a wander round the marina ,which is lovely . By then ,it's been time to make our way to the ship . This is just a suggestion for you 

We took my cousins who live in Southampton to the Wetherspoons there for a lunch a couple of years back.  They then took us on to a posh bar in The Harbour Hotel overlooking a marina area.   They somewhat upscaled us that day, but was a nice Wetherspoons as well and quite quiet as we arrived about 2pm.

Had not thought of stopping off there, but an option to consider if we need to, thanks.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, paulatsea said:

Also used

We had the lift all to ourselves for half an hour cos we were stuck in it,lol.Got out just b4 the fire brigade turned up.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, brian1 said:

We had the lift all to ourselves for half an hour cos we were stuck in it,lol.Got out just b4 the fire brigade turned up.

Seems you just missed out on getting a fireman's lift down the stairs.🤣

• Haha 1