Just back from APEX today - 1/8/2022

eroller

2 hours ago, verizon said:

There is nothing to dislike Edge class ships.On one of my cruise on Apex.

The ship manufactural did sent a team of people on  board to find out what need to improve on future Edge class ships.

There will be a nice Moroccan sunset bar to replace the present one.

That will be a plus and I believe a lot of people will enjoy the  sail away party there like the Solstice class ships.

I agree! The Sunset Bar on Apex was rather disappointing (smaller and less appealing) but I'm happy to see it will be improved upon on Beyond. Our favorite area by far was Eden - for both the cafe, cocktails (best on ship), the restaurant and the performance space (there were several individual guitarists throughout the cruise). Only "complaint" is the tacky chairs that line the upper area (I think they were from staterooms). All the other furnishings were well thought out. 

21 hours ago, eroller said:

Very interesting.  Thanks for the information.  Onboard there was certainly no indication of any kind of crisis.  Everyone was enjoying themselves and following the rules, and it seemed like business as usual.  

I think there were more cases amongst the staff/crew than passengers. Our friend did witness a belligerent passenger being taken off to the brig on the aborted Nassau day. Guess he really wanted to get off the ship😀

On 1/8/2022 at 10:03 PM, eroller said:

Ok in that case perhaps it was due to COVID illness in some of the performers?  Initially there were not even going to be any production shows.  None were scheduled on the app.  Then we got lucky and they were able to schedule Crystalize on the 3rd night and Rockumentary on the last night.  No performances in Eden.  The put a couple singers in there but no shows.  

I was told my the lovely CD Lauren, that shows had to be cancelled as some performers were quarantined due to close contact with positives. I think the entertainment was the best I've experienced on Celebrity - the 2 production shows they had were fantastic. An amazingly talented cast and band! The production team is excellent too and the overall experience is enhanced by the video screens and stage in the round!

4 hours ago, verizon said:

There is nothing to dislike Edge class ships.On one of my cruise on Apex.

The ship manufactural did sent a team of people on  board to find out what need to improve on future Edge class ships.

There will be a nice Moroccan sunset bar to replace the present one.

That will be a plus and I believe a lot of people will enjoy the  sail away party there like the Solstice class ships.

Not sure how a " Moroccan" Sunset Bar will work on a Carib cruise.  Guess we'll find out if its on Beyond

We still miss the  real Island Bands, steel drums , and  of course Jimmy Buffet  style music never gets old! 

2 hours ago, librarylady19 said:

I was told my the lovely CD Lauren, that shows had to be cancelled as some performers were quarantined due to close contact with positives. I think the entertainment was the best I've experienced on Celebrity - the 2 production shows they had were fantastic. An amazingly talented cast and band! The production team is excellent too and the overall experience is enhanced by the video screens and stage in the round!

That makes sense.  I also enjoyed the shows very much.  Trust me when I say I had zero complaints about this cruise.  Absolutely loved it.  

I think there were more cases amongst the staff/crew than passengers. Our friend did witness a belligerent passenger being taken off to the brig on the aborted Nassau day. Guess he really wanted to get off the ship😀

I'm so glad I didn't witness that.  Everyone I saw was having a good time, seemed happy, and very respectful.  Really nice group of people.  

5 minutes ago, hcat said:

Not sure how a " Moroccan" Sunset Bar will work on a Carib cruise.  Guess we'll find out if its on Beyond

We still miss the  real Island Bands, steel drums , and  of course Jimmy Buffet  style music never gets old! 

I agree the theming for the Sunset Bar on BEYOND does seem a little odd, that being said it looks lovely and yes an improvement over the first two ships.  I also like the steel drums, but overall I was happy with the music played by the pool (live and recorded).  

I am curious how BEYOND will handle the additional 300 pax.  Bigger is not always better.  Unfortunately I'm in no position to judge because my only experience on the Edge Class had only 1293 pax.  Needless to say there were no crowds or lines for anything.  I would like to think this class of ship holds a full compliment of pax pretty well, but I honestly don't know. 

On 1/9/2022 at 5:11 PM, Hatteras51 said:

Since you've been to Zeerovers before,  you know that it's pretty far from the cruise port. Many days the line to order is very long. It's taken us 30 - 45 minutes just to get up to the order counter several times.  I assume that you are renting a car. Since you will already be in Savaneta, you could continue on to Baby Beach, or head back to a beach that is closer to the port. Reflextions is a beach club, close to the airport.  That would be a good option, along with Surfside Beach. Both have chairs, umbrellas,  drinks and food. They are fairly close to each other, before you get back into town.

I wonder if that's why for the 1/15 Apex sailing the app isn't showing any shows in the theater except for one night with a singer as the talent. 

49 minutes ago, t18c97 said:

I wonder if that's why for the 1/15 Apex sailing the app isn't showing any shows in the theater except for one night with a singer as the talent. 

This was the case with the App on my sailing as well (Jan 3).  No production shows were shown ... then they were added as the cruise progressed.  I'm guessing they are taking it day by day, depending on COVID  rates among the production team.  

6 hours ago, verizon said:

There is nothing to dislike Edge class ships

I agree with about 90% of what you are saying. I’ll disagree on the IV Cabins. Simply put, we prefer the balconies on S Class ships. The other area is the Martini Bar. We like the circular bar on S Class and from what I have read about Beyond, the Martini Bar will again be circular. Well done X on 1 of my 2 issues. 

1 hour ago, eroller said:

This was the case with the App on my sailing as well (Jan 3).  No production shows were shown ... then they were added as the cruise progressed.  I'm guessing they are taking it day by day, depending on COVID  rates among the production team.  

Looks like the Martini Bar won't be quite circular, but more in that direction.  Also there is something called Le Voyage adjacent to the atrium on the 4th level, and the WorldClass Bar adjacent to the atrium on the 5th level.  That additional bar will be welcome for sure.  

Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 8.08.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 8.08.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 8.09.17 PM.png

44 minutes ago, eroller said:

Ok just figured out that Le Voyage is a new speciality restaurant by Daniel Boulud.  

Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 8.17.36 PM.png

Thanks for the photo.

Interesting  decor.  I know it is more about the chef, menu, experience etc but the decor looks kind of pale..no table cloths and  seating  not plush looking and many banquette seats,  We will probably pass on it esp on our short  cruise.

3 hours ago, eroller said:

I agree the theming for the Sunset Bar on BEYOND does seem a little odd, that being said it looks lovely and yes an improvement over the first two ships.  I also like the steel drums, but overall I was happy with the music played by the pool (live and recorded).  

I am curious how BEYOND will handle the additional 300 pax.  Bigger is not always better.  Unfortunately I'm in no position to judge because my only experience on the Edge Class had only 1293 pax.  Needless to say there were no crowds or lines for anything.  I would like to think this class of ship holds a full compliment of pax pretty well, but I honestly don't know. 

EDGE never felt crowded on our  cruises on her..pre Covid..other than in the Martini Bar area..esp during the  busy pre and post  dinner hrs...  Lots of spaces to enjoy and explore.

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Thanks for the photo.

Interesting  decor.  I know it is more about the chef, menu, experience etc but the decor looks kind of pale..no table cloths and  seating  not plush looking and many banquette seats,  We will probably pass on it esp on our short  cruise.

I'll have to see it in person and the menu of course.  One interesting thing about the space is that it's an interior space.  No windows.  So the decor will have to somewhat compensate for that.  

2 hours ago, hcat said:

EDGE never felt crowded on our  cruises on her..pre Covid..other than in the Martini Bar area..esp during the  busy pre and post  dinner hrs...  Lots of spaces to enjoy and explore.

This is good to hear.  Of course on this cruise at 1293 pax there was never an issue getting seating at the Martini Bar or a deck chair right by the pool.  

On 1/9/2022 at 12:24 AM, Ken the cruiser said:

What? No Night of Dreams (Alice in Wonderland) in Eden

6667F313-E00F-4EDA-9396-C0A0B0F8572E.jpeg.223252267659008ac4f198050ac893a6.jpeg6C06BA2E-5210-4FDD-9115-06461E752577.jpeg.d66ce51a00ece51d950cb3cf8d30981b.jpeg

or Tree of Life (which cost over $1 million) in the main theater?

60674D10-496A-4DDA-875A-92F064C7ED05.jpeg.84cb0b0876a22a7a8a80a6d3fc4f21be.jpegEDB81D80-D5CC-465E-A432-105B3C8906FD.jpeg.385ac9b5ad4e8a8810d86c2f3ca48b1d.jpeg

Those were definitely two of the better shows we saw in November!

I was on last week for the 5 night sailing and again this week for the 7 night.  Last week there were no "Night of " shows in Eden and so far this week only one of the first four nights had one, the Night of the Arts which was on Sunday night.  Rockumentary was phenomenal last week and I am keeping the fingers crossed that the Tree of Life comes up on nights 5, 6 or 7.  As well as Night of Dreams in Eden.

And there was an upgrade this week with the included wifi.  Last week I could not post on cc at all and could only read threads for the first two days.  This week I have full access.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 7:54 PM, sillypuppy said:

What was your itinerary?  What ports did you miss and did you go to other ports not on the original itinerary?  We are scheduled to sail on the Apex 1/29 and trying to decide to go or not to go….

I am on the current sailing.  We docked in Costa Maya today (Mon), Tues is Belize, Wed is Cozumel and Fri is Nassau.  I personally don't care if we dock at 3 or zero ports.  I cruise for the ship when in the Caribbean and with the passenger count this week at 1065 with 1153 crew, it's nice.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

I am on the current sailing.  We docked in Costa Maya today (Mon), Tues is Belize, Wed is Cozumel and Fri is Nassau.  I personally don't care if we dock at 3 or zero ports.  I cruise for the ship when in the Caribbean and with the passenger count this week at 1065 with 1153 crew, it's nice.

Same here. I've been on four Caribbean cruises last year, one of them a nine night cruise, and didn't get off at ANY of the ports on all four.

8 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

And there was an upgrade this week with the included wifi.  Last week I could not post on cc at all and could only read threads for the first two days.  This week I have full access.

Maybe change is coming!! But then it may also have to do with how many (or more importantly how few) passengers are on the ship as some folks are suggesting.

7 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Maybe change is coming!! But then it may also have to do with how many (or more importantly how few) passengers are on the ship as some folks are suggesting.

Last week we had 1300, this week 1065. Can't see the difference making that much of a change.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Last week I could not post on cc at all and could only read threads for the first two days.  This week I have full access.

6 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Last week we had 1300, this week 1065. Can't see the difference making that much of a change.

Sounds like on the Apex the "happy" place for Basic Surf Package users might be somewhere under 1100 - 1200 passengers, but that's just a guess.