White Pass Excursion

dfencecoach

We have a group of 14 and we will be stopping in Skagway this summer.  We are wanting to take the white pass excursion.  Carnival offers two choices.  The White Pass Summit Excursion and the Best of Skagway White Pass Rail, Saloon and City Tour.  The first is priced at 141 and the second at 249.  We are trying to decide if we need to spend the extra money for the ladder or if we could just do the tour on our own.  Thanks for the help. 

This past August we did the $141, saved the money. You'll have plenty of time to walk around Skagway (it's not that big) and see the Red Onion Saloon and anything else you'd wish to see.

You can also just get reservations directly from the White Pass Railroad (https://wpyr.com). One difference is that for the Cruise Lines you MAY be able to get on the train direct from the cruise dock (and at a higher price usually). On the other hand, the train depot is just a short walk (5-10 Min), and there are more train trip times available from the depot. The train depot is between the massive metropolis (3 blocks long) and the cruise dock.

The White Pass Railroad may have other ride options beyond what the Cruise line offers.

Skagway is a (very) small town that was resurrected to serve the cruise line passengers taking the railroad trip. Maybe 1,200 full time residents, grows by maybe 4X during the summer tourist season.

The train tour is a trip well worth taking - I do highly recommend it. 

Also note: Some (but not all) rides require passports.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JT1962 said:

We did a train / bus combination tour to Emerald Lake with Chilkoot Tours and  loved it. It goes much further than the Summit excursion and included lunch.

This!!! Our favorite Alaska experience.  Spend the extra money and go into Canada and see the sights.  Chilkoot usually gets the caboose and we spent most of our time outside on the platform there filming and enjoying the wide open views.  This will probably be moved to ports of call. FYI... we had this excursion booked for our now cancelled cruise and Chilkoot refunded our money promptly.      

2 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

This!!! Our favorite Alaska experience.  Spend the extra money and go into Canada and see the sights.  Chilkoot usually gets the caboose and we spent most of our time outside on the platform there filming and enjoying the wide open views.  This will probably be moved to ports of call. FYI... we had this excursion booked for our now cancelled cruise and Chilkoot refunded our money promptly.      

I totally agree.  I have been in Skagway at least 5 times, and the very best excursions are the ones that go up into the Yukon by bus or van.  Then partway back they join the train to return into Skagway.  The train by itself it amazing, but it doesn’t go very far. There is much more to see than you can by train.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JT1962 said:

We did a train / bus combination tour to Emerald Lake with Chilkoot Tours and  loved it. It goes much further than the Summit excursion and included lunch.

we also did this. Took the train up and they drove you back down with plenty of stops along the way. Probably best excursion we ever did.

Just checked the chilkoot website and all excursions are waitlist only because of covid requirements for Canada as kdr69 said.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, dfencecoach said:

We have a group of 14 and we will be stopping in Skagway this summer.  We are wanting to take the white pass excursion.  Carnival offers two choices.  The White Pass Summit Excursion and the Best of Skagway White Pass Rail, Saloon and City Tour.  The first is priced at 141 and the second at 249.  We are trying to decide if we need to spend the extra money for the ladder or if we could just do the tour on our own.  Thanks for the help. 

@dfencecoach Greetings,

White Pass and Yukon Railroad

Update -- A White Pass & Yukon Railway bridge went out during the last week of July due to rockslides.  Since that time, Yukon Railroad service has conducted an abbreviated round trip excursion to Mile 14.   Work on a bridge replacement started in the later part of last summer.  Will it be ready for 2022?  Unknown at this time.  A new bridge replacement project is planned at Mile 15.  Without the new bridge, you cannot complete the journey to the White Pass Summit at Mile 20.4.  Plus, service to Fraser, Carcross, Bennett Lake and the Yukon Territory has been postponed until the 2022 summer season.  Hope the new bridge is completed by 2022.   Look for updates and plan accordingly.  I checked WPY web site for “Operational” Updates with nothing new indicated.   Also check FB.    John      

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Skagway is SMALL! My favorite excursion in Skagway was taking the White Pass train up and then a bus back down. The train is basically right there at the dock and you can buy tickets there (used to anyway). After the train, you can easily walk around the town and walk back to the ship.

8 hours ago, nini said:

Skagway is SMALL! My favorite excursion in Skagway was taking the White Pass train up and then a bus back down. The train is basically right there at the dock and you can buy tickets there (used to anyway). After the train, you can easily walk around the town and walk back to the ship.

don't forget to take your passport on this excursion if it's going to the Yukon.

• 1 month later...
On 1/10/2022 at 6:56 AM, John99 said:

@dfencecoach Greetings,

White Pass and Yukon Railroad

Update -- A White Pass & Yukon Railway bridge went out during the last week of July due to rockslides.  Since that time, Yukon Railroad service has conducted an abbreviated round trip excursion to Mile 14.   Work on a bridge replacement started in the later part of last summer.  Will it be ready for 2022?  Unknown at this time.  A new bridge replacement project is planned at Mile 15.  Without the new bridge, you cannot complete the journey to the White Pass Summit at Mile 20.4.  Plus, service to Fraser, Carcross, Bennett Lake and the Yukon Territory has been postponed until the 2022 summer season.  Hope the new bridge is completed by 2022.   Look for updates and plan accordingly.  I checked WPY web site for “Operational” Updates with nothing new indicated.   Also check FB.    John      

Thanks for the info.  Do you know where I can look to find out if the bridge is fixed?

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 3:24 PM, Illbcruzn4life said:

we also did this. Took the train up and they drove you back down with plenty of stops along the way. Probably best excursion we ever did.

Just checked the chilkoot website and all excursions are waitlist only because of covid requirements for Canada as kdr69 said.

Check will Chilkoot again...I believe their now taking reservations. We did the bus up train down and it worked out great !!

My husband and I did the long tour all the way to the Yukon and thoroughly enjoyed it.  But the train ride was SO much more impactful than it would have been bc our tour operator first had us watch the short film about the Klondike gold rush. I believe it was in the Skagway Visitor’s Center.  It’s been 13 years, but I feel like the video was about 30 minutes long.  Highly recommend!! 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2022 at 7:37 PM, ccmcg said:

My husband and I did the long tour all the way to the Yukon and thoroughly enjoyed it.  But the train ride was SO much more impactful than it would have been bc our tour operator first had us watch the short film about the Klondike gold rush. I believe it was in the Skagway Visitor’s Center.  It’s been 13 years, but I feel like the video was about 30 minutes long.  Highly recommend!! 

And the book The Floor of Heaven, author Howard Blum is another thing that makes it more interesting. A True Tale of the Last Frontier and the Yukon Gold Rush. The story of Soapy Smith and other gold miners- all buried on the outskirts of Skagway in an old and very rustic small cemetery. 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 2:00 PM, kdr69 said:

Just a thought but if testing protocols are still in effect and the train goes into the Yukon you may be required to submit a PCR Test prior to entering Canada.

We are on the waitlist for Chilkoot Tours in May. They said they would not reserve and charge until they know the requirements from Canada for this year's season, and would be in touch by email. Even with the new regulations announced by Canada today, we will have passed the number of hours allowed for a negative test by the time we dock in Skagway after testing to enter Canada and board the ship in Vancouver on Saturday. What a shame for Chilkoot Tours and those of us who want to do the tour!

On 1/17/2022 at 1:00 PM, nini said:

You are completely correct.  According to Google Maps, the whole main street of the town is 1.9 miles long.

DON

17 hours ago, cloverose said:

We are on the waitlist for Chilkoot Tours in May. They said they would not reserve and charge until they know the requirements from Canada for this year's season, and would be in touch by email. Even with the new regulations announced by Canada today, we will have passed the number of hours allowed for a negative test by the time we dock in Skagway after testing to enter Canada and board the ship in Vancouver on Saturday. What a shame for Chilkoot Tours and those of us who want to do the tour!

They have opened up for booking as of this morning, and appear to be hopeful that the testing requirement will not be in effect by the time the season opens. At least, that seemed to be what they were suggesting. 

38 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

They have opened up for booking as of this morning, and appear to be hopeful that the testing requirement will not be in effect by the time the season opens. At least, that seemed to be what they were suggesting. 

Yes.  I emailed Chilkoot about the possibility of testing prior to booking online and they are hopeful the testing requirement will be lifted soon. They said they hope to have a final decision by April 1 and if testing is still required to enter Canada, they would not operate for this season and would refund any payments already made.  

Not that I don’t trust them, but I am hesitant to book a tour and make payment without knowing it will actually happen. After issues getting and waiting for refunds from our cancelled Mediterranean cruise in 2020, I will probably wait until closer to my cruise date to book.

Edited by JT1962

17 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

Yes.  I emailed Chilkoot about the possibility of testing prior to booking online and they are hopeful the testing requirement will be lifted soon. They said they hope to have a final decision by April 1 and if testing is still required to enter Canada, they would not operate for this season and would refund any payments already made.  

Not that I don’t trust them, but I am hesitant to book a tour and make payment without knowing it will actually happen. After issues getting and waiting for refunds from our cancelled Mediterranean cruise in 2020, I will probably wait until closer to my cruise date to book.

Now you have made me anxious. But I paid by credit card so can always dispute the charge. Which I seem to have done a lot in the past couple of months.