Got a Covid exposure notification two days after returning back from my cruise

Stockjock

23 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Glad you have only experienced minor symptoms. They definitely seem to vary widely from person to person. I have three office-mates (out of 7) out with COVID right now. One is feeling good, one is down for the count and even unable to work from home right now, and one is still feeling crappy and has no taste/smell, but is well enough to work from home. All three were vaccinated and boosted. Youngest is in her mid-30s and oldest is in her low 40s.

Just got back my PCR results (after only 5 days).  Also positive.

As long as I don't infect anyone else, and I've been isolating even before the diagnosis, almost glad I got it.  The symptoms are no biggie, but now I will have natural antibodies to go along with 2 shots and a booster and I suspect that will work to my advantage if/when I am exposed in the future.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

Just got back my PCR results (after only 5 days).  Also positive.

As long as I don't infect anyone else, and I've been isolating even before the diagnosis, almost glad I got it.  The symptoms are no biggie, but now I will have natural antibodies to go along with 2 shots and a booster and I suspect that will work to my advantage if/when I am exposed in the future.

Glad you know.  Hopefully your symptoms resolve in short order.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stockjock said:

So again the good news is I feel pretty good.  They want me to self isolate for a few more days and then run another test and as soon as they start coming back negative then I can re-join humanity, lol.

I thought that you could test positive for weeks after - even though you are no longer sick or shedding the virus?  Here we are being told to isolate for 10 days (now 5 supposedly?) and if no more symptoms you can proceed to 'live' again - no testing required?  I am wondering how long it might take for you to start having negative tests?

36 minutes ago, Froufie said:

I thought that you could test positive for weeks after - even though you are no longer sick or shedding the virus?  Here we are being told to isolate for 10 days (now 5 supposedly?) and if no more symptoms you can proceed to 'live' again - no testing required?  I am wondering how long it might take for you to start having negative tests?

That's a good question.  Someone told me that some test positive 24 days after.  Not sure how to handle that.  I'll retest in a few days and hopefully it will be negative.  Not sure what to do if positive for weeks.

4 hours ago, Stockjock said:

I think the lack of in-home tests is a major failure of government. I only have these in-home tests because my employer offers a couple of kits for free every month and I always take advantage of that. But I would guess that 99% of the population does not have an in-home test and so they are running around spreading this thing around and not even realizing it.  I think these tests should be readily available to every family and person in America. In fact, I feel good enough that I was going to run some errands today and just decided to do one last test as a precautionary measure, and the fourth one was the charm. But if I did not have the test kits at home, I would have been out there spreading it around unknowingly.

So again the good news is I feel pretty good.  They want me to self isolate for a few more days and then run another test and as soon as they start coming back negative then I can re-join humanity, lol.

271845833_10223664543575522_5781394600529891055_n.jpg

The at home tests are pretty useless IMO. I can't tell you how many stories I've read about people who tested negative multiple times with an at home test only to test positive with a PCR test and were out and about spreading the virus around because they thought they were negative. I had the opposite experience in September after testing positive on an at-home test after a potential exposure. My husband tested negative so we were suspicious of my result and both went to get PCR tests which came back negative. So I don't trust these home tests at all.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

The at home tests are pretty useless IMO. I can't tell you how many stories I've read about people who tested negative multiple times with an at home test only to test positive with a PCR test and were out and about spreading the virus around because they thought they were negative. I had the opposite experience in September after testing positive on an at-home test after a potential exposure. My husband tested negative so we were suspicious of my result and both went to get PCR tests which came back negative. So I don't trust these home tests at all.

I've been self-isolating for a week with the presumption that I was positive, despite the negative test results.  My mother is in assisted living and needed me to pick up pain meds, but told her no for now.  I think that was a good strategy.

I shared these comments on another cruise forum.  Some repetition, but obviously I'm trying to be helpful and keep people safe...

Got covid on a recent cruise. Just thought I'd share a few remarks.

My GF and I usually do MSC or Celebrity. This one was a NYE cruise on Celebrity Summit. Passengers and crew were fully vaccinated. I've had both jabs and the booster. The cruise was masks optional and I'd say 80% did not wear them and maybe 20% wore the masks.

Had a great time. Food and drinks were great. Flight home cancelled, but grabbed a hotel in Miami and flew out the next day.

The next evening (last Thursday), got a mild cough. Next day, mild cough, mild congestion and the slightest of fevers, which would be normal for most humans, but maybe 1 degree warm for me.  

Started gradually feeling better after that. Got a notification Friday from CA Health Dept. that I had been exposed to covid, apparently while on the ship.

Did a total of 3 in home covid tests (Binax). All were negative.

But I had a feeling it was the corona.

Sunday, I went in for a PCR test. No results by this morning, so I did another in home test, this time it was positive. Later got the PCR results, also positive.

On a 1-10 scale, this is about level 2, similar to a very mild cold. Feels more cold-like than flu-like.

The takeaways?

I do recommend that you get vaccinated and boosted. I think this is largely why I feel pretty good right now.

Understand that there are definite limitations to the rapid antigen tests, whether in-home or not. If you need a quick test, rapid antigen tests are the only way to go, but if you truly want to know if you have the corona, do the drive-through PCR test. Just understand they are backed up, so it may be 3-5 days before results are available.

Despite no mask much of the time, we were careful. Mostly good social distancing on the ship. I sanitized non-stop and made my GF (still negative) do the same. On the flights, I brought sanitizing wipes and wiped down all surfaces I might touch. Mostly avoided crowds, but on New Year's Eve that was hard to do. Still got the corona.

I do recommend that you download your health dept's notification app. Enable it. If you test positive, do the reporting as a courtesy to others.

If you are feeling under the weather, assume it's the coronavirus and self-isolated until proven otherwise. I self-isolated despite 3 straight negative rapid antigen tests. I think that was a good strategy. Mom is 87 and in need of supplies at her assisted living facility. I told her no for now, and I think that worked to keep her safe.

Several have asked me if I wished that I hadn't cruised and my answer is that I have zero regrets. Had an amazing time.  

In my mind, coronavirus is here to stay. *But*, I do think it will get milder and milder over time until it gets to the point where it's not at all dangerous. Maybe at that time, which could come sooner than later, they'll stop freaking out about it.

Almost glad I got it, as I haven't infected anyone else and now I have even stronger immunity and anti-bodies than before. At least for me, it hasn't been a big deal at all.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Froufie said:

Not quite live again after 5 days. You need strict masking wherever you go until 10 days after symptoms started. If you can’t do that you need to isolate for 10 days. 

Thank goodness you were prudent to isolate while waiting for the PCR results and despite the negative rapid tests. I’ve heard of so many negative rapid tests that turn into positive PCRs. It’s scary how many people can trust the rapid result and then go out and about and infect people unwittingly. I’m glad your case is mild and wish you a speedy recovery! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stockjock said:

I shared these comments on another cruise forum.  Some repetition, but obviously I'm trying to be helpful and keep people safe...

Got covid on a recent cruise. Just thought I'd share a few remarks.

My GF and I usually do MSC or Celebrity. This one was a NYE cruise on Celebrity Summit. Passengers and crew were fully vaccinated. I've had both jabs and the booster. The cruise was masks optional and I'd say 80% did not wear them and maybe 20% wore the masks.

Had a great time. Food and drinks were great. Flight home cancelled, but grabbed a hotel in Miami and flew out the next day.

The next evening (last Thursday), got a mild cough. Next day, mild cough, mild congestion and the slightest of fevers, which would be normal for most humans, but maybe 1 degree warm for me.  

Started gradually feeling better after that. Got a notification Friday from CA Health Dept. that I had been exposed to covid, apparently while on the ship.

Did a total of 3 in home covid tests (Binax). All were negative.

But I had a feeling it was the corona.

Sunday, I went in for a PCR test. No results by this morning, so I did another in home test, this time it was positive. Later got the PCR results, also positive.

On a 1-10 scale, this is about level 2, similar to a very mild cold. Feels more cold-like than flu-like.

The takeaways?

I do recommend that you get vaccinated and boosted. I think this is largely why I feel pretty good right now.

Understand that there are definite limitations to the rapid antigen tests, whether in-home or not. If you need a quick test, rapid antigen tests are the only way to go, but if you truly want to know if you have the corona, do the drive-through PCR test. Just understand they are backed up, so it may be 3-5 days before results are available.

Despite no mask much of the time, we were careful. Mostly good social distancing on the ship. I sanitized non-stop and made my GF (still negative) do the same. On the flights, I brought sanitizing wipes and wiped down all surfaces I might touch. Mostly avoided crowds, but on New Year's Eve that was hard to do. Still got the corona.

I do recommend that you download your health dept's notification app. Enable it. If you test positive, do the reporting as a courtesy to others.

If you are feeling under the weather, assume it's the coronavirus and self-isolated until proven otherwise. I self-isolated despite 3 straight negative rapid antigen tests. I think that was a good strategy. Mom is 87 and in need of supplies at her assisted living facility. I told her no for now, and I think that worked to keep her safe.

Several have asked me if I wished that I hadn't cruised and my answer is that I have zero regrets. Had an amazing time.  

In my mind, coronavirus is here to stay. *But*, I do think it will get milder and milder over time until it gets to the point where it's not at all dangerous. Maybe at that time, which could come sooner than later, they'll stop freaking out about it.

Almost glad I got it, as I haven't infected anyone else and now I have even stronger immunity and anti-bodies than before. At least for me, it hasn't been a big deal at all.

I'm certainly not criticizing you at all, but how could you possibly say you haven't infected anyone if you started getting symptoms the day after you flew home on a plane? Glad to hear you are doing well. We should all know by now what we're dealing with and should be able to assess the risks and try to do the best we can to keep ourselves and others safe. Hopefully we're heading to the time when this will be able to be considered as one of the many other possibilities we may encounter and deal with it accordingly.

2 hours ago, Ma Bell said:

I'm certainly not criticizing you at all, but how could you possibly say you haven't infected anyone if you started getting symptoms the day after you flew home on a plane? Glad to hear you are doing well. We should all know by now what we're dealing with and should be able to assess the risks and try to do the best we can to keep ourselves and others safe. Hopefully we're heading to the time when this will be able to be considered as one of the many other possibilities we may encounter and deal with it accordingly.

Looks like I got covid exposure, 1-2 days before the flight.  Tested negative for roughly a week after the flight.  No symptoms until about 2 days after the flight.  Felt 100% once I got home.  I self-quarantined at the first sign of anything.  Given all of that, it's highly unlikely I infected anyone.  It appears I got exposed on the flight or 1-2 days before.  

14 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

Maybe not completely useless but definitely not reliable if you test negative and still have symptoms.  As I have posted elsewhere, the at-home tests particularly have been problematic with Omicron.  And of course that is near 100% of what is out there right now.  It has been reported widely that they are more accurate if you do a throat (saliva) swab, or a combination throat then nasal swab.   But the EUA for these tests (issued before Omicron) is for nasal swabs.  And multiple consecutive days of home tests if you have symptoms.  So all in all much better to go get a lab test- particularly RT-PCR and isolate until you get the results.

Vulnerable and elderly passengers needs to reconsider cruising or travelling especially now during Omicron. 

Remember to consult with your Doctor.

. I care so much about our elderly and immune compromised individuals .

Edited by travelplus

1 hour ago, travelplus said:

Vulnerable and elderly passengers needs to reconsider cruising or travelling especially now during Omicron. 

Remember to consult with your Doctor.

. I care so much about our elderly and immune compromised individuals .

That goes for everyday life as well, really more so than when cruising.