Tested positive for Covid (PCR). Scheduled to sail Feb 13.

lmklimmek

10 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Antigen tests are very good at testing symptomatic people. They are less good at testing asymptomatic people. The first study says that another symptomatic people, the antigen had a 95% chance of being right. Among asymptomatic people it had a 33% chance of being right. It also has many more false negatives than positives. From what I’ve read, antigen tests are really good if you are sick and want to know if it’s covid. They are not great for screening a general population.

Interesting. I have not heard that. Do you have a source?

Thanks

3 hours ago, sanger727 said:

Antigen tests are very good at testing symptomatic people. They are less good at testing asymptomatic people. The first study says that another symptomatic people, the antigen had a 95% chance of being right. Among asymptomatic people it had a 33% chance of being right. It also has many more false negatives than positives. From what I’ve read, antigen tests are really good if you are sick and want to know if it’s covid. They are not great for screening a general population.

The sensitivity among asymptomatic varies, but it's really not very good. 

I recall the WHO wanting an 80% sensitivity for rapid tests, but they just don't get there for asymptomatic/presymptomatic people.   That alone explains how people with covid end up on cruise ships.  

On 1/11/2022 at 10:47 AM, lmklimmek said:

I have tried unsuccessfully to reach out to Celebrity for confirmation.

I’m concerned that my PCR test will continue to be positive leading up to my sail date. I understand that antigen tests could provide a negative result. However, I’m a bit dubious of the antigen tests as I have several anecdotal accounts of false positives.

Does anyone have experience sailing 4 weeks after a positive result?

Do we know if celebrity accepts a note from the doctor confirming successful recovery from covid 4 weeks prior?

PCR will show positive longer than angien.test.   Test both, for your own sanity. a week before cruising.  Odds are both will be negative. All Celebrity requires is a proctored Angien test. ,   Then make your decision, based on your health and how your feeling ,, to sail or cancel. 

1 hour ago, Missymo said:

Just stop with the PCR tests.  You don't need them and they aren't helping you determine if you are a danger to others.  Just do the Antigen test and don't do anything but home tests that aren't reported until 2 days before your cruise.  It is very likely you will be just fine.

• Like 4

On 1/11/2022 at 10:18 AM, cbfb said:

We know someone who tested positive over the holidays. 6 days later they tested negative. 

I tested positive last sat, my hubby tested negative. I knew I didnt have it, but qaurentined and then tested monday.. negative.. No clue why, but man how bad that would be to get 2 days before a cruise!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruising in mn said:

I tested positive last sat, my hubby tested negative. I knew I didnt have it, but qaurentined and then tested monday.. negative.. No clue why, but man how bad that would be to get 2 days before a cruise!

Tested via what method? 

False positives are real, but if you read every news report from the past 2 years, you'd think that only rich, famous, and politicians falsely test positive. 

3 hours ago, cruising in mn said:

Uh, how do you know Mondays test wasn’t falsely negative?

• Like 2

20 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I believe you misunderstood the results.   Here's a copy and paste from the study you referred to.

"To account for false-positive results when using antigen tests for asymptomatic screening, confirmatory NAAT testing should be considered following positive antigen test results in asymptomatic persons, particularly when pretest probability of SARS-CoV-2 infection is low (1). The NPV of antigen testing among asymptomatic participants was 98.8%, and virus was not cultured from asymptomatic participants with antigen-negative results, indicating that asymptomatic persons with negative antigen results are unlikely to be infected with SARS-CoV-2 and would not require confirmatory NAAT"

• Thanks 2

On 1/11/2022 at 7:47 AM, lmklimmek said:

I have tried unsuccessfully to reach out to Celebrity for confirmation.

I’m concerned that my PCR test will continue to be positive leading up to my sail date. I understand that antigen tests could provide a negative result. However, I’m a bit dubious of the antigen tests as I have several anecdotal accounts of false positives.

Does anyone have experience sailing 4 weeks after a positive result?

Do we know if celebrity accepts a note from the doctor confirming successful recovery from covid 4 weeks prior?

Thanks in advance for your help/guidance.

As long as the Antigen tests negative you are good. Do you really need to get a PCR test to cruise or for travel?

BTW, my DW is in the same boat. She tested positive after we left Apex last week and we are scheduled to be back on Feb 12. We are PCR testing weekly to see if it lingers and also using Antigen tests at home. She is 8 days from first positive and still testing positive at home.

30 minutes ago, neverlaysup said:

As long as the Antigen tests negative you are good. Do you really need to get a PCR test to cruise or for travel?

BTW, my DW is in the same boat. She tested positive after we left Apex last week and we are scheduled to be back on Feb 12. We are PCR testing weekly to see if it lingers and also using Antigen tests at home. She is 8 days from first positive and still testing positive at home.

I hope all goes well for your wife and that she feels better now! It would be great if you would post as to when the negative test finally appears. 

Edited by kathynorth

1 hour ago, neverlaysup said:

Stop the PCR testing, it's not of any value to determine if you are still contagious.  The antigen test is the best tool now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Stop the PCR testing, it's not of any value to determine if you are still contagious.  The antigen test is the best tool now.

We are only doing the PCR to see how long it lasts in her system....more of a curiosity for us. We will use the Antigen tests to determine our ability to travel.

3 minutes ago, neverlaysup said:

We are only doing the PCR to see how long it lasts in her system....more of a curiosity for us. We will use the Antigen tests to determine our ability to travel.

I understand your curiosity, but this may put you in a position where you need to be less than truthful on the health assessment.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I understand your curiosity, but this may put you in a position where you need to be less than truthful on the health assessment.

Understood, we will ensure there is no PCR result that will compromise our Health Questionnaire.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

Why would you PCR test weekly? 

We know that PCR tests can be positive long after infection has passed, due to viral remnants in one's system. It's neither an indication of contagiousness nor infection. 

Frankly, it's a shameful waste of resources that could be used to determine whether or not people are actually sick with covid. 

Edited by D C
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Such moral fortitude and compassion for fellow man, no wonder that you also urinate in public pools.

• Haha 2