Tested positive for Covid (PCR). Scheduled to sail Feb 13.

lmklimmek

I have tried unsuccessfully to reach out to Celebrity for confirmation.

I’m concerned that my PCR test will continue to be positive leading up to my sail date. I understand that antigen tests could provide a negative result. However, I’m a bit dubious of the antigen tests as I have several anecdotal accounts of false positives.

Does anyone have experience sailing 4 weeks after a positive result?

Do we know if celebrity accepts a note from the doctor confirming successful recovery from covid 4 weeks prior?

Thanks in advance for your help/guidance.

5 minutes ago, lmklimmek said:

However, I’m a bit dubious of the antigen tests as I have several anecdotal accounts of false positives.

It is my understanding that antigen tests have more false negatives than false positives.    I would do an at home antigen test a couple weeks out from your trip and if it is negative you don't have too much to worry about - just repeat an antigen test within 2 days of sailing and you should be fine.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, lmklimmek said:

I’m concerned that my PCR test will continue to be positive leading up to my sail date. I understand that antigen tests could provide a negative result. However, I’m a bit dubious of the antigen tests as I have several anecdotal accounts of false positives.

Do we know if celebrity accepts a note from the doctor confirming successful recovery from covid 4 weeks prior?

We know someone who tested positive over the holidays. 6 days later they tested negative. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cbfb said:

We know someone who tested positive over the holidays. 6 days later they tested negative. 

Same here.  In two recent cases, both people who tested positive had mild symptoms for 2-3 days, and then tested negative on day 8 (counting from first symptoms).  I think you will be fine.

• Like 1

If you have no symptoms and it is more than a month away, you should be fine with the proctored antigen test two days before your cruise or a rapid antigen test at a pharmacy or testing center.   Take an at-home antigen test a few days before if you are worried.  I would not take a PCR test.  It could come up positive if you still have a trace amount of inactive viral fragments in your nasal areas.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, lmklimmek said:

First of all, take care of yourself and feel better. As others have said, wait until you are asymptomatic, I would allow at least a couple of days of “feeling good”, then take an at home rapid antigen test. Isolate, mask and social distance. Repeat the rapid Ag test weekly, if you can, until your ‘official” test. This is not gaming the system or trying to get away with something. In asymptomatic persons who are post a documented Covid infection, PCR can be quite misleading.

The key to all of this is that you are asymptomatic.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

Repeat the rapid Ag test weekly, if you can, until your ‘official” test.

If I were OP, I would not test within 14 days of cruising with the exception of the required one 2 days prior.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lmklimmek said:

Way to early to worry. Wait until the required timeline (2 days prior) to do your pre cruise testing. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, hawkesbaynz said:

You will be fine. Just test prior to ability to cancel tho’ . Bonus that you will not be isolating in a cabin anytime soon.

False positives for the antigen test are about 3 in a thousand I believe. 

How about false negatives?

11 hours ago, RichYak said:

If I were OP, I would not test within 14 days of cruising with the exception of the required one 2 days prior.

The thread below mentions the question is whether you've positive in the last 10 days?

(Or exposed in 14)

8 hours ago, jacob22 said:

Who says that you have to tell them?

8 hours ago, RichYak said:

The health screening questionnaire specifically asks, so you would need to lie. 

Seems like a no harm no foul situation, as the questionnaire is certainly intended to determine the time passed since someone first tests positive, rather than asking if one happened to track their positivity over time after receiving that first positive result. 

7 hours ago, Islandhop9 said:

The thread below mentions the question is whether you've positive in the last 10 days?

(Or exposed in 14)

Yes, 10 days. My mistake.

35 minutes ago, D C said:

Seems like a no harm no foul situation, as the questionnaire is certainly intended to determine the time passed since someone first tests positive, rather than asking if one happened to track their positivity over time after receiving that first positive result. 

My point was in response to "who would know?" As long as you answer the question truthfully, I wish you good luck with the "no harm no foul" excuse at embarkation. The "Healthy Sail Panel" is clear on this point:

"There are, however, a few circumstances that merit an automatic denial of boarding. These include a positive test result or known close contact with an individual with confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection in the preceding two weeks."

6 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Yes, 10 days. My mistake.

My point was in response to "who would know?" As long as you answer the question truthfully, I wish you good luck with the "no harm no foul" excuse at embarkation. The "Healthy Sail Panel" is clear on this point:

"There are, however, a few circumstances that merit an automatic denial of boarding. These include a positive test result or known close contact with an individual with confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection in the preceding two weeks."

If one were to interpret the intent of the question as being to establish the initial positive test and subsequent isolation and contagious period, a negative answer would not be inappropriate.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, D C said:

If one were to interpret the intent of the question as being to establish the initial positive test and subsequent isolation and contagious period, a negative answer would not be inappropriate.

Here's the question that Celebrity asks:

"In the last 10 days, have you tested positive for Covid-19 or have you been told that you are positive for Covid-19?"

The only choices are "Yes" or "No".

Let me ask you this, to be perfectly clear. If you tested positive a week ago, you would be ok answering "No" to that question because of your interpretation of its intent?

Edited by RichYak
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, hawkesbaynz said:

You will be fine. Just test prior to ability to cancel tho’ . Bonus that you will not be isolating in a cabin anytime soon.

False positives for the antigen test are about 3 in a thousand I believe. 

7 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

What about them?  

Hawkesbaynz quotes very specific numbers about antigen test false positive statistics that I had not seen,  I was just wondering what the number/statistics were for the same test related to false negative.  No statement, Imwas just curious.

44 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Hawkesbaynz quotes very specific numbers about antigen test false positive statistics that I had not seen,  I was just wondering what the number/statistics were for the same test related to false negative.  No statement, Imwas just curious.

I doubt there's any legitimate statistic on false negatives because if someone takes an antigen test and shows negative there'd be no reason to take a PCR to verify it.  However if someone gets a positive antigen test the recommendation is to verify it with a PCR.