Sunshine itinerary change and additional testing for January 17th

sunonfire

53 minutes ago, sunonfire said:

Sounds like a real cluster. Glad i saved my dough and cancelled. I got my eyes on my august cruise out of charleston. I will be glad to cancel that one too.i have to use up my gift cards sometime but i can wait until 2024. I am going to put my money on the conspiracy theory i have.

36 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I hope so. The number of cases on cruise ships has jumped bigly.

Cases in general have jumped bigly. As expected with omicron. Cases, especially asymptomatic cases, are irrelevant I would say though.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

Cases in general have jumped bigly. As expected with omicron. Cases, especially asymptomatic cases, are irrelevant I would say though.

Not hardly. Milder is not mild and the US is not South Africa. Omicron has caused deaths in South Africa, the US and likely everywhere else. Asymptomatic cases can still spread the virus, and there is no guarantee the recipients will be asymptomatic. Still unknown is how many Omicron cases will suffer from long covid 

On 1/12/2022 at 11:20 PM, BlerkOne said:

Not hardly. Milder is not mild and the US is not South Africa. Omicron has caused deaths in South Africa, the US and likely everywhere else. Asymptomatic cases can still spread the virus, and there is no guarantee the recipients will be asymptomatic. Still unknown is how many Omicron cases will suffer from long covid 

Omicron is nearly as infectious as measles, so there's really nothing Carnival or anyone else can do to slow the spread of it. Basically everyone on the globe is going to get it before it's done. It is what it is.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Omicron is nearly as infectious as measles, so there's really nothing Carnival or anyone else can do to slow the spread of it. Basically everyone on the globe is going to get it before it's done. It is what it is.

Exactly! The long lines of covid crew members, passengers coming down with it and those testing positive post cruise are proof that it will do its thing. Even after test, masks, social distancing etc. The cruise lines have the strictest protocols of any industry on the entire planet and it's still spreading easily. The only way to avoid risk is to not cruise or go in public but I guess people "feel" better with the theater and see it as "doing something", even if it's not very effective. I guess if you have to test, having it done at the port is easier than worrying about scrambling to find a test that will give you results in time before cruising.   

33 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Probably not. There is a vaccine for it under development. Should be in clinicals in the near future with data available by March.

But before Covid is done, there likely will be more variants. It is what it is. But don't worry, Walter Reed is working on a single vaccine that may be effective against all variants including future ones.

https://www.defenseone.com/technology/2021/12/us-army-creates-single-vaccine-effective-against-all-covid-sars-variants/360089/

Btw, there is a vaccine for measles, too.

Not quite sure why the hijack attempt.

58 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I guess if you have to test, having it done at the port is easier than worrying about scrambling to find a test that will give you results in time before cruising.   

This is in “addition” to the scrambling around two or three days prior to cruise date. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, famof4togo said:

This sounds like a logistical nightmare that I hope does not test well and carry over to other ports nationwide.

Norwegian been doing testing at various ports in the terminal since August and ive been on 2 norwegian cruises so far. Testing at the terminal is overall not that bad

This is apparently something for this one cruise.  But, it shows they are concerned for the spread of Covid on longer cruises.  John Heald has constantly touted the small number of cases on their cruises.  However, the number of cases that show up on the ship is not the big question since most cruises are 7 days or under with many of those being 5 days.  The real question is how many people actually end up with Covid after they get back home as a result of that cruise.  I'm guessing that Carnival really doesn't make an effort to follow up with that.

33 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

This is apparently something for this one cruise.  But, it shows they are concerned for the spread of Covid on longer cruises.  John Heald has constantly touted the small number of cases on their cruises.  However, the number of cases that show up on the ship is not the big question since most cruises are 7 days or under with many of those being 5 days.  The real question is how many people actually end up with Covid after they get back home as a result of that cruise.  I'm guessing that Carnival really doesn't make an effort to follow up with that.

7F6F6B40-285E-49F8-AAC6-83FC3107A984.thumb.jpeg.35ed561758edb7076ae224cfcf49a373.jpeg

1 hour ago, Lee Cruiser said:

The real question is how many people actually end up with Covid after they get back home as a result of that cruise.  I'm guessing that Carnival really doesn't make an effort to follow up with that.

Does any cruise line and is it their job? The CDC does have recommendations for cruisers after debarkation - if anyone follows..

So far we haven't heard of any  outbreaks on board, nor were we denied entry to Tortola.  I have no idea if the double testing weeded o

ut a significant number of pax or not.  It was a bit stressful, but Charleston is a cluster of a terminal to begin with. Honestly, after doing the proctored test online the day prior, I think it's a whole lot safer to just test passengers in person to begin with.  With each of our tests the proctor asked us to interpret our results, and they just scanned the qr code.  Not exactly the time that you want to rely on the honor system, LOL!

There were a couple of factors that caused the extra testing to be a mess.  First, the cruise terminal at Charleston is a logistical nightmare to begin with.  Second, they didn't follow their own directions.  We were supposed to arrive, and head directly to the testing line in our cars.  Our testing appointment was supposed to be the same as our boarding appointment.  There was no one checking appointments, and before testing, you dropped off your luggage and paid for parking  Lastly, after the test was performed, we were told to wait in our cars and the results would be sent to us in 10-15 minutes.  It took 45.  That was STRESSFUL!  If they had said 40 minutes or so, no problem, but after 20 minutes, naturally we started to assume that something had gone wrong.

Passengers who were dropped off at the pier had a different procedure, and that line looked to be very long.  Testing at the terminal has been working just fine for Disney, and up until recently NCL managed well also.  I really think that it was a case of not being fully prepared, and also that the parking/testing/checkin/embarkation areas are so spread out.  Maybe some day Charleston will finally allow for the much needed improvements.  I live there and rarely sail out of that port because it's unnecessarily complicated.

It's been a great cruise so far.  On a lighter note, we had an impromptu concert at 3:30 am on the first night, when the intercom on the Lido and the Atrium started playing the background music at FULL blast.  It lasted about 4 songs before they roused the Entertainment Director and he got it to stop. LOL!