Not the cruise I signed up for…

BF125

While I agree that one must be realistic in that it's a pandemic and your experience is bound to be affected, I do agree that folks are overpaying.  We are just off Serenade and I did not fee like we got our money's worth.  The service was poor, and many amenities were unavailable. The shows were lackluster and the food in WJ was not what we've enjoyed on past cruises.  

RCI is correct in asserting that they can make changes without notice (it's in the contract),  and I understand that these things are a result if staffing shortages and other pandemic-related annoyances.  However,  it bothers me that I have paid a premium for the Oasis in May and may not be able to enjoy many of the amenities which were the reason we were willing to pay more for THAT ship in the first place.  It seems a little like a bait and switch.

I just think that if I order prime rib  and pay more for it because it's prime rib - and the chef/restaurant has an issue and can only  give me a cheeseburger, that I should be compensated in some way - not told "You knew this might happen."

My $.02.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

We've done 5 cruises since August and had fantastic cruises along with feeling very safe on every cruise. We went in with eyes wide open and have no regrets what so ever.

WE did just lose our B2B on Jewel that was supposed to leave on the 15th but, we'll sure be ready for our next one.

• Like 4

We sailed at the ‘leading edge’ of Omicron in December, and delays, missed ports, the possibility of having additional restrictions, and cancelled shows were all taken into consideration, and we decided to make the best of whatever happened. 

You seriously have to live in LaLaLand if you choose to cruise right now and are shocked because of disruptions. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Value... A interesting concept. On land, 2 people in a Holiday Inn Express eating McDonald's all day will cost you 160.00+ per night. So if you paid less than 1170.00 for two people on a 7 night cruise, you are making out like a bandit. Even without entertainment, movies under the stars, ocean views....etc. First world problems...sour grapes. Call it what you want. 

Edited by binro01
  • Like 7

47 minutes ago, Presbycruiser67 said:

Wow these bad experiences are a shame.  I guess I lucked out on Mariner.  I would be pissed if service and food were lacking.

I think they were making an analogy.  Not saying they ordered prime rib but were served a cheeseburger.  IE they bought a cruise with lots of ports, shows, and experiences (prime rib) and got a lot of sea days and Coco Cay (Cheeseburger).🤪

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

I think they were making an analogy.  Not saying they ordered prime rib but were served a cheeseburger.  IE they bought a cruise with lots of ports, shows, and experiences (prime rib) and got a lot of sea days and Coco Cay (Cheeseburger).🤪

That actually makes more sense.than my interpretation.  For one thing, you dont pay extra for.Prime Rib.

12 hours ago, SKSMIKE5 said:

We did Harmony last November and everything was GREAT! Shows were good, crew was top notch, food was good and even though the windjammer was closed for dinner we were never hungry! 

things have changed considerably since November. We also sailed in November and everything was great. But that's not an indication that people who are sailing currently are getting the same service, food, entertainment options and amenities.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, binro01 said:

. So if you paid less than 1170.00 for two people on a 7 night cruise, you are making out like a bandit.

hmmm, many of us pay a lot more. Especially, for the much newer ships with more amenities and more entertainment options, which turn out to be closed during the cruise.

The days of us paying that little for 2 for a 7 day cruise are long gone. And we only sail in interior or the cheapest balcony if the price is close to that of an interior cabin.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, BF125 said:

This is a very Left wing UK newspaper that traditionally hates the cruise industry. Surprised not to see the phrase 'floating petri dishes' which is one of their favourite descriptions of a cruise ship.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Bringing a maritime attorney in to comment for no reason really added that touch of authenticity to this dramatized fluff piece. No one is forcing anyone to get on a boat right now, and those of us who do choose to go, know the risks. ✌ 

Edited by MadameGorgeous
Wrong emoji used :)
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

hmmm, many of us pay a lot more. Especially, for the much newer ships with more amenities and more entertainment options, which turn out to be closed during the cruise.

The days of us paying that little for 2 for a 7 day cruise are long gone. And we only sail in interior or the cheapest balcony if the price is close to that of an interior cabin.

I don't know how you are booking, but we are on Allure OTS (An Oasis class ship) for $1020.29 for 6 nights. This was not a lift and shift, or other shady ways to get on an Oasis class ship on the cheap, it was a new booking with no FCCs.

So one of those ships with all the bells and whistles. For less than a holiday inn express and McDonalds.

Those days are not long gone. The deals are still there. You just need to be diligent and continually looking. 

I just did a mock booking on Allure OTS in a GTY Neighborhood balcony, on October 23rd 2022. 2 People, $1,058.00, with 85.00 OBC if you are a C&A member. You wouldn't even be able to eat McDonalds for that price and stay in a Holiday Inn Express.. You would be relegated to a diet of Ramen Noodles and Lean Cuisine.

Edited by binro01
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I just did a mock room booking at the Holiday Inn Express at the Fort Lauderdale Airport for the same 6 nights we will be on Allure OTS. $1827.54. LOL. I'm on the the Allure OTS in an oceanview balcony for $1,020.29. That includes my meals and accommodations, plus any entertainment we can get. I say the value is there, even without any entertainment.

Edited by binro01
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, binro01 said:

I don't know how you are booking, but we are on Allure OTS (An Oasis class ship) for $1020.29 for 6 nights... So one of those ships with all the bells and whistles. For less than a holiday inn express and McDonalds.

I am also on the Allure, May 28, 2022, for a $2,305, 8 nights, 3 people, OV balcony (I splurged on the balcony, since it was only $300 more than the inside). That's how I am booking - directly with RCI, using my membership number and regional discounts. If I wanted my parents to join us, they'd pay $1,604 for balcony or $1,248 for inside for the two of them.

Once you add $100 gratuities and flights for about $350 pp - you get to the $3,000 vacation.

Our L&S Nov 2021 cruise cost us $2K for the 3 of us (KSF) and $1,600 for my parents.

10 years ago we paid $258 pp for a 7 day cruise on Indy, Liberty, Navigator... inside cabins.

If you can go during the least busy/off season time on a short cruise - sure, you could find a cheap one. But if you can't, because you have kids in school and can only sail when school is out? Other time constraints?

And, of course, what's cheap for one person is not cheap for another. But then again - the difference between paying $2,305 and $774 is quite significant. If I paid $774 for the 3 of us to cruise - yes, I would probably be satisfied with 7 sea days, no ice skating or rock climbing, and half the entertainment options. But when you are paying significantly more - well, you expect more, right?

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

7 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Booked two OV balcony cabins (solo) on Oasis (7 nights) in October for $1200 total, two OV balcony cabins (solo) on Anthem (7 nights) in Dec for $1200 total, two OV balcony cabins (solo) on Anthem NYE (9 nights) for $1900 total.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

And, of course, what's cheap for one person is not cheap for another. 

I see what you are saying. I have been blessed in my life. Money really is not an issue for our family. I also understand the calendar. We have twin 17 year olds and family vacations are more pricey. But the deals can be found.

We are on an April 4th 4 day cruise during our kids spring break on Navigator OTS out of LA, I have 2 Cabins for 5 people. 1 an Oceanview Balcony for the kids and my BIL and one a Junior Suite for me and the wife. Total cost for the 4 nights and 2 cabins? $1,732.00. 2 Rooms at the LAX Holiday Inn Express over the spring break weekend? 1606.08, I don't think I can feed all 5 of us for 126.00 for 4 days.

Edited by binro01
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Booked two OV balcony cabins (solo) on Oasis (7 nights) in October for $1200 total, two OV balcony cabins (solo) on Anthem (7 nights) in Dec for $1200 total, two OV balcony cabins (solo) on Anthem NYE (9 nights) for $1900 total.

must be magic.

image.thumb.png.1dfd765d7aa71a41a4ea38639a700f67.png

single supplement:

image.thumb.png.199c9bd83f43ada0bf9fe1ab8ad5048f.png

20 hours ago, SKSMIKE5 said:

We did Harmony last November and everything was GREAT! Shows were good, crew was top notch, food was good and even though the windjammer was closed for dinner we were never hungry! 

Harmony has had close to no shows this week.