Wifi costs on board

iflyrc5

2 hours ago, sailawaygirl said:

so what happens if you have an apple watch? my husband wears his to monitor his heart rate...and of course his phone and iPad...someone asked can you put them on airplane mode? or do you have to disable watch to use phone?

The internal WiFi (intranet) on the ship is free for unlimited devices.  To connect outside of the ship, you must purchase an internet plan.  If you purchase a plan for a single device, only one of your devices will be able to connect outside of the ship.  I am not certain, but I think that you can only connect to the HAL website without purchasing an internet plan.

If you have a phone that you wish to not switch to airplane mode or OFF, you may do that if you wish.  You will be charged by the minute each time your phone connects through the ship cell tower.  Since your phone connects periodically to check its location each hour, you might have a very high phone bill when you arrive home.

If your Apple watch connects to the internet without your phone, you will have to decide which you want to disconnect.

21 hours ago, IPB4IGO said:

I often connected directly to the HAL Wi-Fi network with my phone (when away from the cabin), and neither Wi-Fi Calling nor texting worked then either.

Good suggestion, though.

In addition, my VPN software would not work on any of my devices when connected to the ship's network.

Thanks.

It is disappointing if they have blocked wifi calling as it is not as if they are offering an additional cost option.  I also doubt that the data usage for wifi calling would be anyway close to some of the other sites which continue to be available.

It still would not persuade me to use FB

Edited by VMax1700

• 1 month later...
On 1/15/2022 at 4:41 PM, Luvtennis6060 said:

I just paid $211, Premium Package for a 17 night cruise.  Online before the cruise.

I can't find the option to purchase this before the cruise.  Where online or on-app is this?

We have never bothered with internet on HAL.  

We have had free internet from time to time on both Princess and Celebrity.  Maybe RCI...cannot remember.

What we do remember is the poor speed.   We are not particularly interested in buying internet service but IF we did, based on our experience on various ships, we would never pre buy.  We would try in out once on board to check the speed.  On day two or three.   The value to us is a combo of speed and price.   If the speed is good we might buy the package.  If not....it would be a pass.  Not willing to pay premium rates if the service is sub standard.

Edited by iancal

Still just a little confused.  The website will only let me purchase one plan (premium) for one device.  But we will be able to add devices onboard?  Using the same account info?  I anticipate one laptop and a cell phone each for hubby and me.

30 minutes ago, LindaJ+ said:

Still just a little confused.  The website will only let me purchase one plan (premium) for one device.  But we will be able to add devices onboard?  Using the same account info?  I anticipate one laptop and a cell phone each for hubby and me.

If you purchased the plan under your login, your hubby will need to do the same under his login if he wants to be logged on at the same time as you.  As to logging on multiple devices for the one plan, one can't do that unless you purchase additional connections.  You can definitely do that onboard.  My wife and I definitely fare better when we have our own connection.  I, too, bring multiple devices and simply boot device #1 off when I want to connect device #2.  The same thing happens when I want device #1 connected; device #2 gets booted.  It's easy to do and I don't need two devices connected simultaneously.

37 minutes ago, LindaJ+ said:

You can add additional devices once onboard and logged-in with one device. I was unable to add just one device rather it required three.  For an additional $10, I got three additional devices added and it was a very good feeling that my traveling partner could not kick me offline without asking/notifying me.

I'm gonna jump in with a related question: My wife and are cruising, and we've both got "Have It All" fares that include WiFi. Since we have both paid the premium fare, we should both get "one device" access, meaning we can BOTH use our devices at the same time. Am I correct in that assumption?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Linguist208 said:

I'm gonna jump in with a related question: My wife and are cruising, and we've both got "Have It All" fares that include WiFi. Since we have both paid the premium fare, we should both get "one device" access, meaning we can BOTH use our devices at the same time. Am I correct in that assumption?

Yes, you are correct.

• Like 2

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread; it's been really helpful!

A second device being able to kick off the one currently logged in sounds problematic if you have kids who will fight over the connection. That takes me back to my childhood in the 90s with dial-up internet. (Incidentally, that was also the last time I had to worry about limited minutes online. Luckily we used to get AOL free trial discs in the mail just about every week, and they made great coasters afterwards.)

To add onto the previous question, I wonder if my mother-in-law gets access for 2 devices since she paid double fare for a solo cabin. (I think I know the answer, and it's moot anyway since she only owns one device.)

34 minutes ago, strickerj said:

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread; it's been really helpful!

A second device being able to kick off the one currently logged in sounds problematic if you have kids who will fight over the connection. That takes me back to my childhood in the 90s with dial-up internet. (Incidentally, that was also the last time I had to worry about limited minutes online. Luckily we used to get AOL free trial discs in the mail just about every week, and they made great coasters afterwards.)

To add onto the previous question, I wonder if my mother-in-law gets access for 2 devices since she paid double fare for a solo cabin. (I think I know the answer, and it's moot anyway since she only owns one device.)

My "Have it all" cruise in December had internet access for a single device, at a time for the stateroom.  My traveling partner and I had to take turns using the internet.  The internet connection is based on the stateroom and not the number of passengers.  Just don't be surprised if your experience matches mine and happy if you can connect two devices at a time.  On my last two days, I experimented by adding three devices to our internet plan and we connected four devices simultaneously.

I agree with the solo issue.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crew News said:

My "Have it all" cruise in December had internet access for a single device, at a time for the stateroom.  My traveling partner and I had to take turns using the internet.  The internet connection is based on the stateroom and not the number of passengers.  Just don't be surprised if your experience matches mine and happy if you can connect two devices at a time.  On my last two days, I experimented by adding three devices to our internet plan and we connected four devices simultaneously.

Really? How it's shown on our confirmation sure does imply we each get it (same as the drinks, Pinnacle Grill dinner, and shore excursion credit, which we each got). I'll sure be disappointed if that's not the case!

12 minutes ago, strickerj said:

Really? How it's shown on our confirmation sure does imply we each get it (same as the drinks, Pinnacle Grill dinner, and shore excursion credit, which we each got). I'll sure be disappointed if that's not the case!

There are several versions of "Have it All" so your experience may differ from mine.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Crew News said:

Our Have it All package included internet for each person.  Once onboard we upgraded to Premium at a cost of $370 pp for 35 days - we received a credit of $246 pp from the HIA.  Net price to upgrade $124 pp

Internet is working fine.   I can make wifi calls - internet speed is heavily influenced by ships location. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

We are going on a 69 cruise in October. The Premium wifi is $479.99 for the entire cruise. Is it less money if I buy it now vs. onboard? I really only need the middle level plan but can't purchase that now. Any idea what that cost would be onboard?

11 minutes ago, Bethcb said:

We are going on a 69 cruise in October. The Premium wifi is $479.99 for the entire cruise. Is it less money if I buy it now vs. onboard? I really only need the middle level plan but can't purchase that now. Any idea what that cost would be onboard?

if you look at post #6 of this thread you will see a chart listing prices up to 31 days. In the past, that was the maximum you could purchase, and on the 32nd day you could buy another package for up to 31 days to finish out your cruise. I don't know if that is still the case.

Just now, Bethcb said:

I see the chart. Thank you! They are offering pre-purchase for 69 days. Would like to know if prices are lower if you order it in advance compared to onboard. 

You can only prepay for the premium tier online and it’s definitely cheaper than waiting until you’re on the ship.  Our experience has been that the prepaid premium tier is just a few bucks more than buying the middle tier onboard.  If you call ship services they might be able to tell you the price for each tier if you wait to buy it.

Just now, zelker said:

You can only prepay for the premium tier online and it’s definitely cheaper than waiting until you’re on the ship.  Our experience has been that the prepaid premium tier is just a few bucks more than buying the middle tier onboard.  If you call ship services they might be able to tell you the price for each tier if you wait to buy it.

Thank you! That’s the answer I wanted. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bethcb said:

Thank you! That’s the answer I wanted. 

It’s $6.95 /day if you buy it ahead of time ... compare that to the per day price for any of the three tiers in the chart (post 6) and you’ll see it’s a deal.

• Like 1

I think many travelers don't realize how much free internet is available all over the world.  We have cruised on HAL enough to have 5* status and have never purchased one of their "plans".  We use it just to check our email about every other day.  Once I needed to use it in Hong Kong when we were closing on a real estate deal and needed to download and sign the papers online.  Just went to a Starbucks in Victoria, bought a cup of coffee and spent about an hour with their wifi to complete the transaction using an iPad.   Worked out just fine.  One tip is to watch where the crew members get free wifi.  Often it is available in the cruise terminal.

10 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

I think many travelers don't realize how much free internet is available all over the world.  We have cruised on HAL enough to have 5* status and have never purchased one of their "plans".  We use it just to check our email about every other day.  Once I needed to use it in Hong Kong when we were closing on a real estate deal and needed to download and sign the papers online.  Just went to a Starbucks in Victoria, bought a cup of coffee and spent about an hour with their wifi to complete the transaction using an iPad.   Worked out just fine.  One tip is to watch where the crew members get free wifi.  Often it is available in the cruise terminal.

The Magenta Cell Phone carrier just announced today that certain of their plans now include data worldwide at 5G speeds.  We've used this service for several years all over the world.

Edited by Btimmer

6 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

While I have not been everywhere in the world I’ve found “free” internet to be very, very slow.  Also I don’t want to be in port hunting for it and following crew members.  I’d rather not contribute to slowing their signal.  Crew members can also get internet on board for a very reasonable rate so things have changed.  I’d rather just buy it and have it.  Everyone is different in their needs/wants.

• Like 2