Lobster at The Porch

willb125

Has the Porch switched to warm water lobster tail for its seafood tower?  I ask because the rest of Reflection has (Murano, Luminae).  

I ask because I am a HUGE lobster fan, but I don't enjoy warm water spiny lobster.  TYIA.

7 hours ago, willb125 said:

Has the Porch switched to warm water lobster tail for its seafood tower?  I ask because the rest of Reflection has (Murano, Luminae).  

I ask because I am a HUGE lobster fan, but I don't enjoy warm water spiny lobster.  TYIA.

Murano always had warm water lobster tails.   When my husbands was being cooked table side the lady said that is why they put so much butter and spices on it!  This was about 5 years ago.  

• Like 1

The warm water or spiny "lobsters" served on ships are not actually real lobsters but are large crayfish.  Real cold water lobsters like Maine lobster have claws.  This has been discussed here on CC many times.  Personally I do not eat crayfish or crawfish.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

The warm water or spiny "lobsters" served on ships are not actually real lobsters but are large crayfish.  Real cold water lobsters like Maine lobster have claws.  This has been discussed here on CC many times.  Personally I do not eat crayfish or crawfish.

I love crawfish or 'mud puppies'.  They taste delicious boiled and in gumbo.  

46 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I decided long ago that I will not eat anything that a Bass eats!😄

Yes but I am sure you also know what lobsters eat as they crawl across the sea floor, still agree totally delish, but just sayin... 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

Yes but I am sure you also know what lobsters eat as they crawl across the sea floor, still agree totally delish, but just sayin... 🙂

I have another rule.  I don't care what a true cold water lobstah eats.  I'm still gonna boil it and eat it anyway.  No questions asked!😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Personally I do not eat crayfish or crawfish.

Why don't you like cray/crayfish?

I like rock shrimp, but many people don't or don't even know what they are. 

Stay Safe! 

On 1/14/2022 at 9:25 AM, TeeRick said:

I decided long ago that I will not eat anything that a Bass eats!😄

So you don’t eat bluegill or other panfish?  How about bass? Those are all tasty when prepared correctly.

Edited by DaKahuna

On 1/14/2022 at 1:41 PM, neverlaysup said:

Don’t waste you money at the Porch, the seafood tower was the worst one I have ever had. 

You know we enjoyed ours!

Perhaps it is down to expectations…We know on board that fish products will not be the same as if you have called at a local fish restaurant in a Mediterranean port and are enjoying their catch of the day but as an on board product it was tasty and well presented and made a nice lunchtime shared option.

On both Reflection and Silhouette we have always had a couple of leisurely lunches in the Porch and thoroughly enjoyed both the food and ambiance.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

So you don’t eat bluegill or other panfish?  How about bass? Those are all tasty when prepared correctly.

Funny,  but no- I do not eat any of those fresh water fish.  I do like almost all shellfish in general and I will eat the large crawfish they call lobster on a cruise ship.   And I enjoy a large number of fish from the ocean.  My favorite meal in Luminae is the baked halibut.   But I do not like fish with dark oily meat like bluefish.😀

On 1/14/2022 at 6:41 AM, neverlaysup said:

Don’t waste you money at the Porch, the seafood tower was the worst one I have ever had. 

And we thought it was great. We don’t eat mussels or clams & they substituted with more scallops & shrimp

F9187628-5361-427B-BBD3-25A2F217B683.jpeg

Edited by awhfy
  • Like 2

On 1/14/2022 at 7:41 AM, neverlaysup said:

14 hours ago, chemmo said:

You know we enjoyed ours!

Perhaps it is down to expectations…

And down to individual taste. Personally, a better approach would be, “I don’t waste my money….:” since what each of us like and dislike is a bit…individual. 

Den

On 1/14/2022 at 7:12 AM, awhfy said:

Definitely warm water lobster on board

Not in all venues. Dined on Apex Eden restaurant and had the lobster tower, and it was definitely cold-water lobster with a huge claw on top of the piled-on lobster. Fantastic. And I can tell the difference, being a Floridian and having snorkeled for langusta (the warm-water ‘Spiny lobster’ being referred to here), and dined on every version of true cold-water NE/Canadian lobster in any form I can get it.  

Since we are talking about seafood:

Also had the Crabcakes in Edge Restaurant. I use to say ‘don’t have crabcakes outside of Maryland around the Chesapeake’, but the Edge restaurant’s was all crab with yogurt as the binder. Best I’ve had……anywhere. 

And the Raw On 5 had a Salmon poke to die for. 

Den

Does anybody know if the seafood is "locally" sourced on the Baltic cruises out of Southampton?

Our server on Equinox out of FL explained that the reason for warm water lobsters in the MDR in the Caribbean was due to the strict paper trail Celebrity has to follow when it comes to seafood origin. 

On 1/14/2022 at 11:59 AM, davekathy said:

I don't care what Celebrity or anyone else calls the lobster served in the MDR. We like it and look forward to having it on our cruises. One is plenty but the servers seem to insist on two. Thank you.  

LOL--- If the ships served Montreal smoked on rye , fries , and kosher dill pickles , there wouldn't be any discussion about where the beef came from and it's guaranteed one will not be enough.

If anyone has a few minutes ---  Have a look at Schwartz Montreal Smoked Meat on You Tube.

43 minutes ago, BigTorino said:

Does anybody know if the seafood is "locally" sourced on the Baltic cruises out of Southampton?

Our server on Equinox out of FL explained that the reason for warm water lobsters in the MDR in the Caribbean was due to the strict paper trail Celebrity has to follow when it comes to seafood origin. 

We have done a few cruises from Southampton now and in our experience the menu items are fairly standard but the buffet has had some specials following some port stops. On our Norwegian cruise we missed out on some local fish so cannot comment on what it was or how good it was. On our Canary Island cruise with a stop in Lisbon we spoke to guests who said the sardines in the buffet were fantastic! 

The snag is they have been last minute add ons to the buffet (hence why we missed them)…An option for you may be to see if they offer a ‘chefs tour’ on your cruise. This includes a trip with a chef to a local port where local produce will be introduced to you. You then return to the ship and the group enjoy a meal together.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

And down to individual taste. Personally, a better approach would be, “I don’t waste my money….:” since what each of us like and dislike is a bit…individual. 

Den

Agree…Nice to have choices!

1 hour ago, Momma Rene said:

Is the Porch open every day or only on non port days?

It was open every day for lunch and in the evenings on our September staycation cruise on Silhouette. I don’t know if this is standard or cruise specific.  I honestly can’t remember when it was open on our Reflection cruise a few years ago…

We found it a great option on sea days particularly. We would enjoy a swim in the Solarium, drip dry to the sunset bar and then head to the Porch for a light lunch. 

It seems to be a bit of a ‘Marmite’ restaurant….Either you love it or hate it….We are on the side of the ‘love it’. Whilst the menu isn’t big or very innovative it does offer the sort of items we enjoy at lunchtime, tasty but not heavy. It also offers a calm, quiet oasis on days when the buffet may be busy.

No information to offer re evening dining we have always seen it as a lunchtime venue.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, chemmo said:

It was open every day for lunch and in the evenings on our September staycation cruise on Silhouette. I don’t know if this is standard or cruise specific.  I honestly can’t remember when it was open on our Reflection cruise a few years ago…

We found it a great option on sea days particularly. We would enjoy a swim in the Solarium, drip dry to the sunset bar and then head to the Porch for a light lunch. 

It seems to be a bit of a ‘Marmite’ restaurant….Either you love it or hate it….We are on the side of the ‘love it’. Whilst the menu isn’t big or very innovative it does offer the sort of items we enjoy at lunchtime, tasty but not heavy. It also offers a calm, quiet oasis on days when the buffet may be busy.

No information to offer re evening dining we have always seen it as a lunchtime venue.

Thank you Chemmo! I would be thrilled if they had some regional Scandinavian seafood onboard in any or all of the restaurants. They cannot possibly be importing all their groceries while in Europe for the summer season, can they? I guess I just have to wait and see for myself in May. I'm very excited and hope the Silhouette will still depart as planned, and that US citizens can travel to the Baltic states and to S:t P. by then. 

45 minutes ago, BigTorino said:

Thank you Chemmo! I would be thrilled if they had some regional Scandinavian seafood onboard in any or all of the restaurants. They cannot possibly be importing all their groceries while in Europe for the summer season, can they? I guess I just have to wait and see for myself in May. I'm very excited and hope the Silhouette will still depart as planned, and that US citizens can travel to the Baltic states and to S:t P. by then. 

We thoroughly enjoyed our time on Silhouette and are looking forward to being back on board in October. We thoroughly enjoyed the food on board but as I said it was the buffet that seemed to occasionally offer the ‘local specials’. Definitely easy to miss.

Look out for tours at your ports of call which have a dining element…If you haven’t already look at the roll call for your cruise and see if there are other fellow cruisers who may also want a taste of some authentic Scandinavian food or you may be able to get advice about a great dining venue in one of your ports of call.

Hope you have a fantastic cruise!

• Thanks 1