Cunard QM2 14th Jan to 11th Feb 2022

Matelot70

4 hours ago, Matelot70 said:

Doing this update on my mobile as we enter Lisbon as I cannot get reliable Internet in my cabin on my Dell laptop, my wife's iPad,  her iPhone or my Samsung. I think the Internet has also been problematic because of the late change to Lisbon.

>>> So the Internet on a ship has two parts- the Wi-Fi and the Satellite.   Ships are mostly metal and Wi-Fi signals are effectively blocked by metal.  And the Wi-Fi service was added on later.  You might find some random spot in the cabin that gets coverage.  Leaving the door propped open a bit (possibly unpopular) can help.  Or find a nice seat someplace on the ship else with good Wi-Fi signal.  The satellite link on the QM2 is for some reason quite pokey.  

We will then be able to conduct a clinical trial to see if the quinine in tonic water prevents Covid.

>>> Keep us posted on your results.  You will need to have a control group that only drinks ale to use as a baseline.  You could set up a study- divide the passengers up.  More medical paperwork would be popular.   

>>>Lovely review and we are all following along.  

• Like 1

On 1/14/2022 at 2:48 PM, bluemarble said:

Bon Voyage!

QM2 reported the following onboard counts to Southampton VTS at departure, so you are only at about 50% passenger capacity for this voyage.

1,337 passengers

1,287 crew

Here are a couple screen captures of your departure taken from the Netley Cam stream of the Ahoy Shipmate YouTube channel.

1744006378_QM2SouthamptonDeparture2022-01-14(1).thumb.jpg.cbe728a3329466a5c0f179f6f6e5cb14.jpg

876720091_QM2SouthamptonDeparture2022-01-14(2).thumb.jpg.ad882f3c1744b9064c2e297c6fbdbd20.jpg

This is fabulous info.  Is there an equivalent source for New York?

1 minute ago, 57eric said:

This is fabulous info.  Is there an equivalent source for New York?

The New York Harbor Webcam at "www.nyharborwebcam.com" is an excellent source for images of ships arriving and departing New York. That webcam also allows you to listen in on the marine radio traffic between the ships and vessel traffic control. I can't say though that I ever recall hearing ships reporting the number of passengers and crew on board when departing New York as they do when departing Southampton. Perhaps I've just missed it or perhaps the procedures are different in New York.

41 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

The New York Harbor Webcam at "www.nyharborwebcam.com" is an excellent source for images of ships arriving and departing New York. That webcam also allows you to listen in on the marine radio traffic between the ships and vessel traffic control. I can't say though that I ever recall hearing ships reporting the number of passengers and crew on board when departing New York as they do when departing Southampton. Perhaps I've just missed it or perhaps the procedures are different in New York.

Hi BM it is mandatory in UK 2 report no. of POB 4 passenger vessels

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ew101 said:

> So the Internet on a ship has two parts- the Wi-Fi and the Satellite.   Ships are mostly metal and Wi-Fi signals are effectively blocked by metal.  And the Wi-Fi service was added on later.  You might find some random spot in the cabin that gets coverage.  Leaving the door propped open a bit (possibly unpopular) can help.  Or find a nice seat someplace on the ship else with good Wi-Fi signal.  The satellite link on the QM2 is for some reason quite pokey

Door opening not good enough have to sit or stand in the corridor, not popular with the stewards and their trollies.  Near the concierge desk was OK on my phone connexions is OK as are a number of other public areas. I think the point has to be that if you have to use apps like My Cunard for booking trips, dinner reservations etc  you should be able to do this from the comfort of your cabin. But I guess with their present system they would need a repeater in every other cabin.

Anyway beautiful warm sunny day in Lisbon  and we even enjoyed the Pol Acker overlooking the Tagus when we got back this afternoon. Heresy for some I know but we have basic tastes.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

The Captains quip about the passenger and crew numbers being nearly the same was that we must feel it is as good as being on Seabourne.

10 minutes ago, Matelot70 said:

Anyway beautiful warm sunny day in Lisbon  and we even enjoyed the Pol Acker overlooking the Tagus when we got back this afternoon. Heresy for some I know but we have basic tastes.

Materlot70.

Thank you for the validation. We must have basic tastes too but then there is so much more to enjoy.

Jack

5 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Materlot70.

Thank you for the validation. We must have basic tastes too but then there is so much more to enjoy.

Jack

It is all about the situation I am sure we wouldn't enjoy it in our back garden on a mid January day!

• Haha 1

@Matelot70 or @sogne, have you heard about any changes to your next scheduled port call at Bridgetown, Barbados? I believe your original itinerary had you scheduled to arrive there on 25 January with an overnight and then departing 26 January.

The reason I ask is that QM2 appears to be currently reporting via AIS that her next port of call is indeed Bridgetown, Barbados but with an estimated arrival time of 10:00 on 26 January. Not sure if this is incorrect AIS information or if it indicates a schedule change.

Edit to add: I suppose this might have to do with the added distance from Lisbon to Bridgetown as compared with the original itinerary which had you calling at Funchal.

Edited by bluemarble

23 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

@Matelot70 or @sogne, have you heard about any changes to your next scheduled port call at Bridgetown, Barbados? I believe your original itinerary had you scheduled to arrive there on 25 January with an overnight and then departing 26 January.

The reason I ask is that QM2 appears to be currently reporting via AIS that her next port of call is indeed Bridgetown, Barbados but with an estimated arrival time of 10:00 on 26 January. Not sure if this is incorrect AIS information or if it indicates a schedule change.

Edit to add: I suppose this might have to do with the added distance from Lisbon to Bridgetown as compared with the original itinerary which had you calling at Funchal.

No hint of problems in the Captains departure spiel. 3000 miles at an average of 17 knots so that would suggest it to be well within this ships capabilities

Full Moon over the Tagus as we depart

20220117_181624.thumb.jpg.0ca9fd900a903ccc6907cba69f1f5622.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Current AIS gives eta 0600 26th that will be pilot station  channel 45 gives eta 0700 25 th  possibly a typo in ais we will see

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Matelot70 said:

No hint of problems in the Captains departure spiel. 3000 miles at an average of 17 knots so that would suggest it to be well within this ships capabilities

20 hours ago, sogne said:

Current AIS gives eta 0600 26th that will be pilot station  channel 45 gives eta 0700 25 th  possibly a typo in ais we will see

When I started this post several minutes ago, QM2 had left terrestrial AIS range exactly 16 hours ago after departing Lisbon. By my estimate you had traveled 292 NM during those 16 hours. That puts your average speed since then at 18.25 knots. I popped for 99 cents to track QM2 via satellite AIS on the marinetraffic app and it tells me you have been sailing at 19 knots recently. At that rate you will have no problem making Bridgetown on January 25 as originally scheduled. I suppose we can conclude the AIS reported ETA of January 26 (at 10:00 UTC/06:00 Local) may indeed be a typo.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, bluemarble said:

When I started this post several minutes ago, QM2 had left terrestrial AIS range exactly 16 hours ago after departing Lisbon. By my estimate you had traveled 292 NM during those 16 hours. That puts your average speed since then at 18.25 knots. I popped for 99 cents to track QM2 via satellite AIS on the marinetraffic app and it tells me you have been sailing at 19 knots recently. At that rate you will have no problem making Bridgetown on January 25 as originally scheduled. I suppose we can conclude the AIS reported ETA of January 26 (at 10:00 UTC/06:00 Local) may indeed be a typo.

Grenada has replaced St Lucia we will easily do Barbados by 25th at 17k average

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Just a further comment on the course to Barbados and getting there on schedule. On leaving Lisbon the Captain said we would be sailing the longer rhumb line course rather than the shorter Great Circle route that would be more usual. This is to take us south more quickly to better weather and away from the Low Pressure system causing the bad weather in Madeira.  I think this shows that he has no doubt we can get there on time particularly as he has got plenty of speed in reserve.

• Like 4

Tuesday
Good news with the noon announcement. Should reach even better weather by Friday and we are now going to Grenada after Barbados and Dominica has been moved to a day later, so no extra day at sea because alternatives have been arranged. Passage is very smooth so far with really smooth seas but may get Force 6 to 7 winds overnight. No indications of any problems on board that I know of and chatting to a crew member today you really see how happy they are to be back. He said he felt the worse aspect was not knowing when cruises were going to resume with hopes being raised then dashed. All the crew we have come across so far seem to be determined to give good service because they really want things to work out. To work on board many seem to have happily endured 10 day quarantines in UK hotels, further quarantines on board, continuous testing and all 3 jabs. Makes me feel it would be criminal to not enjoy myself as much as possible so I will try go above and beyond.. Lack of hot water a problem this morning but an engineer appeared within 10 minutes of reporting it to the concierge. I can imagine odd problems like this cropping up through lack of use of cabins for such a long layover. Plenty of hot water for a shower tonight.
Extra hour in bed tonight due to the first clock change.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Matelot70 said:

Tuesday
Good news with the noon announcement. Should reach even better weather by Friday and we are now going to Grenada after Barbados and Dominica has been moved to a day later, so no extra day at sea because alternatives have been arranged. Passage is very smooth so far with really smooth seas but may get Force 6 to 7 winds overnight. No indications of any problems on board that I know of and chatting to a crew member today you really see how happy they are to be back. He said he felt the worse aspect was not knowing when cruises were going to resume with hopes being raised then dashed. All the crew we have come across so far seem to be determined to give good service because they really want things to work out. To work on board many seem to have happily endured 10 day quarantines in UK hotels, further quarantines on board, continuous testing and all 3 jabs. Makes me feel it would be criminal to not enjoy myself as much as possible so I will try go above and beyond.. Lack of hot water a problem this morning but an engineer appeared within 10 minutes of reporting it to the concierge. I can imagine odd problems like this cropping up through lack of use of cabins for such a long layover. Plenty of hot water for a shower tonight.
Extra hour in bed tonight due to the first clock change.

agree 100% Amanda Reid is entertainment  office announced today that dancing will resume in Queen's room 2night

• Like 3