Cunard QM2 14th Jan to 11th Feb 2022

Matelot70

On 1/17/2022 at 6:36 PM, Matelot70 said:

It is all about the situation I am sure we wouldn't enjoy it in our back garden on a mid January day!

On 1/17/2022 at 6:28 PM, Jack E Dawson said:

Materlot70.

Thank you for the validation. We must have basic tastes too but then there is so much more to enjoy.

Jack

Remarkably the taste is often more down to how the wine is served. A cheap sparkling that is heavily chilled with a final chilling in ice and water, poured into flutes that have been chilled in fridge or freezer can taste as good as most champagnes selling in French hypermarkets for up to about €40. I've only really noted a difference with NV Krug and perhaps some of the vintage versions of premium champagnes. Contrary to another thread on this site, the 2 versions of Pol Acker (Blanc de Blancs & Cremant de Loire) that I currently see on French websites both quote "Methode Traditional" on their labels. A poster on that thread suggested that the bubbles came from carbonation. A producer claiming Methode Traditional in France for something that was not would be likely to face jail time!

I appreciate that if you're served a glass from a huge tray of them, it's unlikely to taste as we would serve it. I don't think I've actually tasted Pol Acker, but we often buy cheaper stuff on offer. I'll watch out for it when we're shopping and give it a try.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

Thanks again, for reporting back. Amanda Reid is a great cruise director. Can´t say I have a favorite captain- only Captain Wells - him I remember well, from his great midday messages. I have no idea, if he is retired now.

Yes, Captain Wells, or I should say Commodore Wells now, has retired. It's difficult to link to individual press releases on the Cunard US website and they might not work anyway. So here's a link to the press release from this past April as found on the Carnival Corporation website.

Cunard's Captain Christopher Wells Retires after 20 years with the Line, and Awarded Rank of Commodore

11 hours ago, D&N said:

Remarkably the taste is often more down to how the wine is served. A cheap sparkling that is heavily chilled with a final chilling in ice and water, poured into flutes that have been chilled in fridge or freezer can taste as good as most champagnes selling in French hypermarkets for up to about €40. I've only really noted a difference with NV Krug and perhaps some of the vintage versions of premium champagnes. Contrary to another thread on this site, the 2 versions of Pol Acker (Blanc de Blancs & Cremant de Loire) that I currently see on French websites both quote "Methode Traditional" on their labels. A poster on that thread suggested that the bubbles came from carbonation. A producer claiming Methode Traditional in France for something that was not would be likely to face jail time!

I appreciate that if you're served a glass from a huge tray of them, it's unlikely to taste as we would serve it. I don't think I've actually tasted Pol Acker, but we often buy cheaper stuff on offer. I'll watch out for it when we're shopping and give it a try.

Delighted to concur with your excellent observations.

We practised a similar method when, as restauranteurs, our cheaper site wines were kept in the walk in 'Fish' fridges. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, D&N said:

Years ago, we had a particularly active roll call. Pol Aker came up. Laughingly, I said that if anyone didn't want their "Pol", we'd take it. At our meet and greet, we would up with half a dozen bottles...giggle! While it was a little rough going down "naked", it made a perfectly fine mimosa!!!

And yes, If you chill it to death, it made  a perfectly fine "afternoon treat" on the "porch"!!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mudhen said:

Years ago, we had a particularly active roll call. Pol Aker came up. Laughingly, I said that if anyone didn't want their "Pol", we'd take it. At our meet and greet, we would up with half a dozen bottles...giggle! While it was a little rough going down "naked", it made a perfectly fine mimosa!!!

And yes, If you chill it to death, it made  a perfectly fine "afternoon treat" on the "porch"!!!

Great recommendation. We regularly use our Pol for a morning Mimosa!🥂

• Like 2

Tuesday

Good news with the noon announcement. Should reach even better weather by Friday and we are now going to Grenada after Barbados and Dominica has been moved to a day later, so no extra day at sea because alternatives have been arranged. Passage is very smooth so far with really smooth seas but may get Force 6 to 7 winds overnight. No indications of any problems on board that I know of and chatting to a crew member today you really see how happy they are to be back. He said he felt the worse aspect was not knowing when cruises were going to resume with hopes being raised then dashed. All the crew we have come across so far seem to be determined to give good service because they really want things to work out. To work on board many seem to have happily endured 10 day quarantines in UK hotels, further quarantines on board, continuous testing and all 3 jabs. Makes me feel it would be criminal to not enjoy myself as much as possible so I will try go above and beyond.. Lack of hot water a problem this morning but an engineer appeared within 10 minutes of reporting it to the concierge. I can imagine odd problems like this cropping up through lack of use of cabins for such a long layover. Plenty of hot water for a shower tonight.

Extra hour in bed tonight due to the first clock change.

Wednesday 19th

Unusual lack of insights lectures today with only one at the odd time of 12.30. Zumba and dancing classes being held outdoors on Deck 12 weather permitting. Don’t know if they happened as we felt a visit to the library a better option as it is fully open. Laundries have also opened so all very positive signs. Extensive crew safety drill this morning which might be the reason for lack of events. Early dinner allowed us to take in the 2000 Two Tenors show who were excellent. Followed this with a nightcap in the Grills lounge where the Brevis string trio put on an excellent performance of popular classical music (even I recognised all the music). Off to bed with a near gale rocking us to sleep.

Thursday 20th

Woke up to continuing Force 7 near gale this morning with rough seas. Nice to be on a vessel that shrugs it off rather than my past experiences on 13 metre yachts in such conditions. Busy day with insight talks including Stephen Payne and the BBC producer of shows such as Human Planet. To be followed by the complimentary wine tasting at 1515h. Very windy walk around the deck and then the Commodore Club followed by another good dinner. Clock goes back another hour tonight indicating we are halfway to Barbados. Everything going well at the moment even managed to Whatsapp my granddaughter for her birthday. Only fly in the ointment was one of those mysterious announcements about someone being called to their cabin to call the purser. Fingers crossed for the promised warm and calmer weather tomorrow and for the islands.

• Like 3

Fantastic update. Thank you very  much for taking the time and trouble for keeping us updated.

It is very much appreciated as I sit here in a very cold north east of Scotland. 

Very much looking forward to our TA on the QM2 in April.

I wondered if the bartender from the Chart Room who wrote several books about working on ships is on board. I had messaged him awhile ago that we are going in February but he wasn't sure at that time. His name is Martines Rocha de Souza. I think he goes by Martin and he is from Brazil. Very interesting fellow. I bought 2 of his books in the onboard bookstore and we had a nice chat when he signed them for me.

Friday 21st

First thanks for the kind comments that I have now had a chance to read. This is my first attempt at copying the sort of efforts other have put into passing on the joy of an ocean voyage. I hope that I have at least partly succeeded so far. I thought it was an important time to share my experience and I hope that it will help future travellers to know what to expect for the foreseeable future.

Well we finally woke up to the promised blue skies and tropical sunshine so after breakfast we paid homage to the weather gods by slapping on the suntan oil and using the sun deck. It was a glorious morning and the Captain paid a visit to the Grills deck. Unfortunately I missed him because I had booked a haircut in the Spa having been told that if I got a suntan it would not be a good look to have a haircut on returning home as that would produce a white stripe. Outside facilities such as the Deck 12 grill bar were open and tables and a bar were placed there for lunch. Regrettably we don’t seem to have paid enough homage to the weather gods and a new weather system moved in with tropical rain showers and less smooth seas. Seems it will last until sometime tomorrow lunchtime. So I started to read a book and my other half went to a seminar in the spa. On our travels around the ship we met someone from deck 6 who told us that from midships to the stern Deck 6 is closed but is occupied. We saw something similar in September on Queen Elizabeth when we were on Deck5 and only about 3 cabins sternwards the of our midships cabin the corridor door was closed with a No Admittance notice so I am drawing no conclusions yet.

Gala night tonight a roaring 20’s night. After 2 recent voyages recently the theme is becoming a little repetitive so we just wore traditional formal dress. The outside dancing on Deck 12 was cancelled as rain poured down and we decided not to bother with the show dancers at 10pm and opted for an early night. However all sorts of surprises awaited us in our cabin as World Club members. I should have kept quiet about enjoying our Pol Acker because we found another full bottle waiting. To be fair there was a letter telling us that our World Club benefits will be repeated after Barbados so we can enjoy more free Internet time, wine tasting, Verandah meal etc. I guess this is a substitute for the cocktail party that would have taken place tonight but it is a nice gesture by Cunard. Don’t want to sound greedy but I wonder what they will substitute for the Senior Officers party?

Details of Covid requirements in future ports were also left for us and it looks as if sticks up the nose are not required at all the stops. I will try and attach an image as although it will undoubtably change it does show the sort of constraints ships passengers might experience even if things are going well.

Expect to be gently rocked to sleep as there is some movement of the ship.

951414584_AdobeScan22Jan2022_1.thumb.jpg.4b8cf1427b8aa0941806c34669505fa1.jpg

864692693_AdobeScan22Jan2022_2.thumb.jpg.57463e049f7511467e2bf43420f9eb50.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Matelot70 said:

I should have kept quiet about enjoying our Pol Acker because we found another full bottle waiting.

Matelot70,

A second bottle of Pol Acker! You're killing me. If only we could get it here in the States. I've searched everywhere. How much fun it would be to open a bottle of Pol Acker and enjoy a Formal Night at home. Well, I guess we will have to suffice with Veuve Clicquot until we board the QM2 in May. 

Dee and I are thoroughly enjoying your excellent reporting, thanks so much.

Jack

Saturday 22nd

Woke thinking we were still in the North Atlantic, cloudy with rain and moderate seas. So chance to do some laundry and then attend the talk on the making of the Human Planet. Dale Templar is a lively and enthusiastic speaker and with the help of excerpts from the BBC series is very entertaining. Lunch and a talk by Stephen Payne at 1400 completed a good way of ignoring the weather. At the noon announcement the Captain lamented the number of times he had been asked that morning what he had done with the weather. I must admit he can hardly be criticised as his forecasts have been quite accurate to date. Today he restated that the bad weather would start to improve in the afternoon and should be then clear until Barbados. Turned out to be quite correct as blue sky started to appear as predicted along with showers and by evening there was a lovely sunset. Where weather is concerned always best to under promise and over deliver. Just one negative sign was when we walked down the corridor on Deck 10 there was a medic in full PPE on the floor outside a cabin  door preparing a PCR test form and equipment with a number of stewards nearby. Having experienced an admission to hospital last November with symptoms that were immediately tested for Covid I will not jump to any conclusions because I know from personal experience that is an automatic response even though other conditions are equally likely. In the light of the present positive signs about island visits we decided all we can do is keep calm and carry on. I know we are in our own little bubble but unless something drastic happens any other course than trusting the evident precautions in operation will simply spoil the trip. Clocks back again tonight to take us to UT-3.

Sunday 23rd

The promised weather has arrived and it is a glorious morning with a temperature of 24 degrees. Not a lot to appeal today with talks so off to breakfast and then on to the sun deck. Passed the Zumba class on the way a sign that  the various classes normally inside have now got the weather again to operate outside I think because of Covid precautions. The Captain was doing his rounds again and did stop for a brief chat. He seemed positive about the present voyage. If there is any more information to be gleaned short of thumbscrews I didn’t think I could extract it but hopefully he is right. His noon announcement confirmed the weather should be like this all the way to Barbados where the temperature should be 28 degrees, We are only just over 600 miles to go and our speed has been dropped to 14 knots so one generator set can be taken off line. The plan for tonight is an early dinner so we can catch the 8pm show with the 2 Tenors. Then after that up to Deck 8 for an advertised Rock under the Stars, I will try to remember the swinging sixties if I last the pace.

• Like 2

We're booked on the March 20 cruise to the Caribbean and wonder if you have any comments on using the My Voyage app?  The online guide must be six months old and ends by saying "As we continue development of the digital planner, we’ll have more new and exciting features to enhance your on board experience." 

Have you been excited?

Thanks.

Alan

Monday 24th

Quite a few people at the Deck 8 event last night but unfortunately no seats left when we arrived. We left after a short stay and enjoyed a nightcap on the balcony as it was such a lovely tropical night. Woke up for the last sea day and just gently relaxing before our impending seven days of shore leave. Last events for group of excellent guest speakers lectures and as it clouded over after lunch we went to see the Human Planet speaker who has been excellent. Stephen Payne gave his speech on design of QM2 which I have heard previously. We went through the Pavilion Pool on Deck 12 and the retractable roof was open. Don’t think I have seen that before even though I have done 2 equator crossings on QM2 when you might have expected it to be open. Of the facilities used so far the Pavilion Snack Bar is the only spot that we have found to be poorer than in the past. I know it is only a snack bar but the food is poor with limp hamburgers, strange sausages and oddly pickled onions. A pity because it is a handy place in fine weather.

Testing sessions have been held for guests wanting to go ashore independently in Barbados, tests are $25 per person. During the BBC talk there was a ship wide announcement of personal messages for individuals to return to their cabin immediately and to call the purser. Today there have been five of these what I am starting to call butterflies in the stomach announcements and the deck numbers called coincide with the sequence of decks being tested. Two guests immediately left the lecture and I guess the success or otherwise of shore visits over the next few days will be the acid test of there being any problems aboard.

The juggler/ comedian was making jokes about Covid and it possibly being on board. Apparently one section of the orchestra has got on in Lisbon and has just been released from quarantine. I thought his jokes on the subject were tasteless as they included seeing a crew member licking the rail to catch Covid because conditions were better in quarantine. He also referred to the calls from the purser I mentioned above calling them the Calls of Doom that everyone feared. With the events of the previous cruise and all the problems experienced by those passengers and the concerns of current passengers I thought it was all very crass. Outdoor event on Deck 8 cancelled tonight because of rain! On to Barbados time tonight to be 4 hours behind the UK.

21 hours ago, asto said:

We're booked on the March 20 cruise to the Caribbean and wonder if you have any comments on using the My Voyage app?  The online guide must be six months old and ends by saying "As we continue development of the digital planner, we’ll have more new and exciting features to enhance your on board experience." 

Have you been excited?

Thanks.

Alan

I am not a fan of the app. QM2 has a central reservations number which seems to suggest the need for a working alternative. Over 3 cruises I have only used it for table reservations in Britannia late dining which fortunately is unnecessary this time. As you had to see the Maitre d’ anyway for a table to be allocated and there was no point for particularly for Breakfast and Lunch. It is unreliable on my Samsung S20 because of network reception. It complicates logging onto the Internet and on one occasion I was not logged out of my account. The lost minutes were reinstated. The problem is because when the login successful screen appears and you select the “Browse” option the logout did not work. I was told to ignore this option and go to my mobile home screen. If you have to ignore a choice appearing on an apps screen it is a sure sign of bad design. My view is the ships network will have to improve greatly and the app needs far greater development. Anyone with IT experience will tell you half ready unreliable apps should not be rolled out.

I think the central number will always be necessary for those without smartphones but the Queens' wifi signal strength is not good enough in many areas.  I've had to sit in various places with a Dell Latitude, itself not the greatest receiver.  OK in most cabins but far from guaranteed. A great pity they didn't overhaul the wifi setup over the last two years.  The satellite capacity is a separate issue also in need of attention.

I suppose the quality of the Cunard website might have been a guide to that of their app.  'My Cunard' tells me that M209P is a voyage of 34.958333333333336 nights.  Accurate in that UK clocks go forward an hour but showing 15 decimal places doesn't look very professional to me.

Thanks for your observations.  Let's hope there are improvements over the next couple of months.  There'll be plenty of time on board to prepare feedback!

Here's a webcam image showing QM2 in Bridgetown, Barbados today. This image was captured from the "Shallow Draught" webcam found on the IWCP Inc. (Islandwide Camera Protection) website at "www.iwcpinc.com/cameras/shallow-draught/". This image is posted here with the kind permission of IWCP Inc.

191303018_QM2Bridgetown2012-01-25.thumb.jpg.307aa823e70a70329913aa25a55458d7.jpg

For reference, the other two cruise ships in this image are Marella Explorer 2 behind the cranes to the left of QM2 and MSC Seaview further to the left toward the center.

• Like 3

It's a busy day at Bridgetown today. Here's the QM2 bridge webcam image showing not only Marella Explorer 2 but also Marella Discovery anchored off shore in the distance.

qm2.jpg.c08edfb341620d41c8e8339a1bc8c11e.jpg

And if you look closely at the webcam image I posted in my previous reply showing QM2 at Bridgetown, I think you can actually see four cruise ships in that image, not just the three I pointed out. I think you can see Marella Discovery in the distance peeking out from the left of MSC Seaview near the center of that previous image. Kind of a "Where's Waldo?" hunt for all the cruise ships in that image, I suppose.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

It's a busy day at Bridgetown today. Here's the QM2 bridge webcam image showing not only Marella Explorer 2 but also Marella Discovery anchored off shore in the distance.

qm2.jpg.c08edfb341620d41c8e8339a1bc8c11e.jpg

And if you look closely at the webcam image I posted in my previous reply showing QM2 at Bridgetown, I think you can actually see four cruise ships in that image, not just the three I pointed out. I think you can see Marella Discovery in the distance peeking out from the left of MSC Seaview near the center of that previous image. Kind of a "Where's Waldo?" hunt for all the cruise ships in that image, I suppose.

Queen Victoria has joined the party. Shot into the setting sun from our balcony

20220125_164545[1].jpg

• Like 1