Is a 12 hour docking delay the key to restart?

Interesting article from Cruise Passenger. I wonder what difference this would have made for the Ruby Princess? I’d be happy to spend another 12 hours on a cruise 😂

Also worth noting ‘Cruise Lines International Association pointed out the cruise industry continues to achieve significantly lower rates of occurrence of COVID-19 — 33 percent lower than land based tourism venues.’

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/news/is-the-key-to-restarting-australian-cruising-a-12-hour-docking-delay-for-ships-with-covid-cases/

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

With the congestion in Australian ports , I don’t think it would be practical.

But being practical in this place is not a high priority.

I agree. Cruise lines have to book their spot at the terminals a year or two in advance. If a ship is delayed 12 hours (docking at 6pm instead of 6am) it would cause havoc. I realise that occasionally a delay caused by extreme weather cannot be avoided.

For it to be workable for the cruise lines (assuming every ship will have a couple of non symptomatic/undiagnosed cases on board) maybe a number of people infected, or percentage of infected passengers to trigger the 12 hrs 🤔. I think it seems a good idea but the devil is in the detail….

9 hours ago, lesands77 said:

For it to be workable for the cruise lines (assuming every ship will have a couple of non symptomatic/undiagnosed cases on board) maybe a number of people infected, or percentage of infected passengers to trigger the 12 hrs 🤔. I think it seems a good idea but the devil is in the detail….

Not a good idea when some passengers have a long way to go home and it may require them to spend an extra night where the ship docks because when they disembark they may have missed their connection home and as been quoted the cruise line may have to spend an extra night at the port or a very late departure and the passengers embarking it would mean a long day for them

I really can't see the point of having a 12 hour delay. The cruise lines have better Covid protocols than anywhere in Australia at the moment so cases and close contacts would be identified before the ship docked. Delaying would just increase the risk of more infections. RATs should be mandatory before disembarking and passenger contact details should be provided to health authorities just in case. That should be all that is necessary.

• Like 2

When QM2 returned recently from a Caribbean cruise it had Covid cases on board. They cancelled the next cruise which was 4 or 5 days, in order to clean the ship.  The longer clean the better.  12 hr clean would do a reasonable job.   A 3 hr window for cleaning from pax disembarkation @ 8am to embarkation at 11am is not long enough for a decent clean in these times.

If pax have to spend a night in a hotel due to extended cleaning, so be it, small price to pay for hygeine.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

When QM2 returned recently from a Caribbean cruise it had Covid cases on board. They cancelled the next cruise which was 4 or 5 days, in order to clean the ship.  The longer clean the better.  12 hr clean would do a reasonable job.   A 3 hr window for cleaning from pax disembarkation @ 8am to embarkation at 11am is not long enough for a decent clean in these times.

If pax have to spend a night in a hotel due to extended cleaning, so be it, small price to pay for hygeine.

If embarkation was delayed by several hours it would allow a thorough cleaning of the ship. Instead of departing at 2pm (as often happens in Brisbane), the ship could be scheduled to depart at 7pm or 8pm with passengers boarding in the preceding two to three hours. In some cases it would meaning changing the itinerary.

One thought..... the Key is to start with a Cruise Ship.... actually being here...

I agree with Mic    Disembark by 10am    Clean stock re-flue then board at noon the following day.....       well at least for a start... and it is not like any of the passenger piers and wharf's are being used at the moment.

One day it will not be dream....

Don

• Like 1